PDA

View Full Version : Spell Resistance Useful for Heroics?

Evillemonade17
07-04-2015, 01:16 PM
So I'm starting to craft cannith gear. Was wondering should I strive to keep my spell resistance high? Or Is it just not very useful. I know that its to see if certain spells get through to hit me but I was under the impression that most mobs roll high anyway and it would be mildly useful at best. If someone could steer me in the right direction on this that would be great.
Thanks.

Merlin-ator
07-04-2015, 01:27 PM
SR is pretty useful for early heroics, but it's one of the worst-scaling defenses in the game because it doesn't stack with anything until you hit Epics. Even Drow SR doesn't stack with item SR. Still, if you craft yourself a SR17 belt or something similar, that's an absolute lifesaver for HE quests for a few levels.

Evillemonade17
07-04-2015, 01:32 PM
Things. Seems I'll try to get the most use out of it early on. Shame. Thank you for the reply!

EllisDee37
07-04-2015, 01:39 PM
Spell Resistance is only really useful for enchantment-based will saves: Holds, dancing, sleep, hypnotism, daze, (greater) command, etc... The only exceptions to this rule of thumb that I can think of have alternate mitigation: deathward clickies or a deathblock item for instakills, greater heroism or immunity to fear for fear spells, and remove curse pots for curses.

Given that spell resistance is mostly just helping to prevent enchantment-based will saves, you're better off crafting an Enchantment Save +6 item instead. It goes on any item, and has a much lower ML than spell resistance, so you can wear it in the really low levels when hold person can be an issue.

Enchantment Save shards fully stack with resistance items, both Resistance +? and Will Save +?. (Which don't stack with each other.) Your enchantment save bonuses won't show up in the Will Save stat in your character sheet, so you'll have to mentally add it.

Enchantment Save bonuses are similar to how bonuses to saves vs traps stack with reflex saves but don't show up in your reflex save stat.

EDIT: The one notable exception is negative levels, like from beholders but also the occasional trash mob. Death ward clickies gives you immunity to the trash mobs, but for beholders, if you can't absorb snegative levels then a spell resistance item you can swap in might not be a terrible thing.

Hobgoblin
07-04-2015, 01:49 PM
just as a caveat -

if you can get it really high, it is usefull in epics

but that is a lot of work to do that

iirc, its in the 80s where you are mostly immune to spells

FranOhmsford
07-04-2015, 03:31 PM
SR is pretty useful for early heroics, but it's one of the worst-scaling defenses in the game because it doesn't stack with anything until you hit Epics. Even Drow SR doesn't stack with item SR. Still, if you craft yourself a SR17 belt or something similar, that's an absolute lifesaver for HE quests for a few levels.

The Mirror Cloak has Spell Res 17 and is Min Lvl 3 - It becomes worthless around Lvl 8 if running E-BBs.
The Infested Armour from Chronoscope is Min Lvl 4 and has Spell Res 19 which should last you up to around Lvl 10-11 running E-BBs.

After that unless you're Drow or have a friendly Cleric around you may as well forget getting a Spell Res that's worthwhile until Epics.

P.S. Despite many people saying that it's useless my Clerics all carry Mass Spell Res and it's a guaranteed buff at the start of the quest/raid!

FranOhmsford
07-04-2015, 03:33 PM
Spell Resistance is only really useful for enchantment-based will saves: Holds, dancing, sleep, hypnotism, daze, (greater) command, etc... The only exceptions to this rule of thumb that I can think of have alternate mitigation: deathward clickies or a deathblock item for instakills, greater heroism or immunity to fear for fear spells, and remove curse pots for curses.

Given that spell resistance is mostly just helping to prevent enchantment-based will saves, you're better off crafting an Enchantment Save +6 item instead. It goes on any item, and has a much lower ML than spell resistance, so you can wear it in the really low levels when hold person can be an issue.

Enchantment Save shards fully stack with resistance items, both Resistance +? and Will Save +?. (Which don't stack with each other.) Your enchantment save bonuses won't show up in the Will Save stat in your character sheet, so you'll have to mentally add it.

Enchantment Save bonuses are similar to how bonuses to saves vs traps stack with reflex saves but don't show up in your reflex save stat.

EDIT: The one notable exception is negative levels, like from beholders but also the occasional trash mob. Death ward clickies gives you immunity to the trash mobs, but for beholders, if you can't absorb snegative levels then a spell resistance item you can swap in might not be a terrible thing.

You forgot Ray of Enfeeblement - The Mirror Cloak is a life saver for Monks in Irestone Inlet!

EllisDee37
07-04-2015, 07:58 PM
You forgot Ray of Enfeeblement - The Mirror Cloak is a life saver for Monks in Irestone Inlet!If you mean Ray of Enfeeblement, I did forget but it's also easily mitigated: Lesser Restoration potions remove it and are cheap.

FranOhmsford
07-04-2015, 08:20 PM
If you mean Ray of Enfeeblement, I did forget but it's also easily mitigated: Lesser Restoration potions remove it and are cheap.

Removing it is not the same as making sure it doesn't hit you in the first place!

Also...For Monks getting uncentered every two seconds is an absolute pain!

Enoach
07-04-2015, 09:22 PM
SR is something that will be debated on its usefulness because there won't be agreement on what usefulness means...

Now to me this falls in the same area as blur. Blur is not 100% effective in avoiding damage it is less than 20%. But avoiding damage is a good thing.

Now I find that 20 SR below level 10 is actually more like having Incorporeal - Casters can't get past it, being held/charmed etc. almost never happens. Above level 10, that 20 SR starts to fade and becomes more like blur. With sometimes something having True Seeing so its has no use against them. But most of the time its between 10-20% of the spells never get through.

Epic, that percentage chance drops, but it is still useful. Getting SR above 30 will bring it back up to being like blur, anything above that brings in more effectiveness.

If your build has a low will save any percent chance to avoid these types of spells is worth having.

EllisDee37
07-04-2015, 09:56 PM
Also...For Monks getting uncentered every two seconds is an absolute pain!Ah, right, that's a fair point. For a monk without a lot of strength that would be super annoying.

Steve_Howe
07-04-2015, 10:38 PM
just as a caveat -

if you can get it really high, it is usefull in epics

but that is a lot of work to do that

iirc, its in the 80s where you are mostly immune to spells
Even a SR of 53 can be useful in Epics but yeah, an 80 makes you immune to Epic Doomshpere shenanigans.

Tom116
07-04-2015, 10:40 PM
Should also point out that the Barbarian Occult Slayer Capstone granted SR is a fairly easy way to get a good start on your epic SR levels. Doesn't stack with much, but worked fine for me in EE Mirror Darkly :)

FranOhmsford
07-05-2015, 07:41 AM
Should also point out that the Barbarian Occult Slayer Capstone granted SR is a fairly easy way to get a good start on your epic SR levels. Doesn't stack with much, but worked fine for me in EE Mirror Darkly :)

And being a Capstone is only available to one specific build!

Evillemonade17
07-05-2015, 09:02 AM
Hey thanks everyone. That is a lot of debate going on up there. I've decided to instead just beef up my will saves and don a enchantment item. Should've of made it known that I'm a pally and a drow so my lvl of spell resist is at around 16 naturally. Figure that will be good enough considering my saves are in the upper 20 for lvl 6. Appreciate it!