PDA

View Full Version : Community Dungeon Master

Bloodskittle
07-04-2015, 07:42 AM
Pretty simple idea here, the devs release a competition for a member of the community to win the chance to DM a quest, basically they release a script on the forums for a short section of a quest and players send in an audio recording of them voice acting, the best voice actor wins and is given the chance to record an entire dungeon for the game, they would then also be credited at the beginning of the quest as the DM.
Just a thought, it might be quite fun.

FranOhmsford
07-04-2015, 07:43 AM
Pretty simple idea here, the devs release a competition for a member of the community to win the chance to DM a quest, basically they release a script on the forums for a short section of a quest and players send in an audio recording of them voice acting, the best voice actor wins and is given the chance to record an entire dungeon for the game, they would then also be credited at the beginning of the quest as the DM.
Just a thought, it might be quite fun.

Nice idea.

dunklezhan
07-04-2015, 07:52 AM
You know what, that is a good idea. Of course, I say that because I'd love to find out if I've got what it takes.

Caveats to bear in mind though: audio is only about 50% artist talent at most in my experience, especially when dealing with amateurs. The rest is the gear, environment and sound engineer. Forumites are unlikely to have good enough gear, and Turbine are unlikely to want to fly the winner from Australia/UK/outside the US in general/probably even inside the US or hire a studio local to the winner (which would probably cost the same as the plane ticket lol!)

So there's fairly hefty limitation there. Anyone with a rubbish set up might end up out of the running no matter how good the 'DM' sounds. I've got some pretty decent consumer level gear for recording and mixing music at home myself, but music is a whole other kettle of beeswax to a simple spoken word voice recording - that sort of thing really does have to be cleaner than clean. With music you can hide things if your guitars are loud enough :)

Then again, I have no idea how much Wil or Ed or anyone else who's guest DM'd has been paid (I assume and hope the pro voice artist DMs get paid a lot more, I don't think many folks here realise how hard that job is) - for all I know they did it for the love of doing it, the price of travel and a big bag of merch which is probably only slightly more than any of us would expect (I'd guess a player would waive the bag o'merch), so maybe turbine might be able to pony up enough to do it right for a guest player too.

Edit: anyway, it doesn't need to be a competition. We all know Memnir is the one who deserves the shot :)

Saekee
07-04-2015, 09:31 AM
Great idea!

Here is how to streamline it:

have players upload the voice recording to YouTube
Let players vote on what they consider to be the best
Turbine then chooses from the finalists

This way, you get

Free advertising via YouTube uploads etc.
Less Dev time to listening to all the recordings
More fun for us as we listen to other players' renditions
Community empowerment--we are helping decide who moves on!

FranOhmsford
07-04-2015, 10:00 AM
Great idea!

Here is how to streamline it:

have players upload the voice recording to YouTube
Let players vote on what they consider to be the best
Turbine then chooses from the finalists

This way, you get

Free advertising via YouTube uploads etc.
Less Dev time to listening to all the recordings
More fun for us as we listen to other players' renditions
Community empowerment--we are helping decide who moves on!

And what about all the other people on Youtube - I'd rather not post to an open site like that.

Let Players Vote? Really? So it becomes a popularity contest?

UurlockYgmeov
07-04-2015, 03:51 PM
Argh! Uurlock be down with this!

dunklezhan
07-04-2015, 03:59 PM
And what about all the other people on Youtube - I'd rather not post to an open site like that.

Let Players Vote? Really? So it becomes a popularity contest?

/sigh. That's a good enough system for the countries most of us live in to use when deciding who get to be the folks to run the place. Much though I detest it, I reckon it can stand up to a little voiceover contest.

Look - people are not going to vote for an awful voiceover just because they "like" that person's forum persona. Besides you'll get people other than forumites if you put it on the DDO launcher, and send folk an ingame mail. That said, I'd imagine it would be better for Turbine to shortlist them and then post the finalists for us to vote on.

General_Gronker
07-04-2015, 07:18 PM
Look - people are not going to vote for an awful voiceover just because they "like" that person's forum persona.

Uh . . . I guess you haven't interacted much with people if you think that's the case. At least not with people online. People will vote for awful stuff for all kinds of reasons.

No, putting something like that up for vote to the player base would be a dumb idea, pure and simple.

Daine
07-04-2015, 08:55 PM
Edit: anyway, it doesn't need to be a competition. We all know Memnir is the one who deserves the shot :)

Whilst he's given me a chuckle in the past, Memnir is the master of using others peoples image to illustrate his sense of humour, I expect his voice track would just be amusingly edited cuts of Christopher Walker memes/impersonators or some such...

Saekee
07-04-2015, 09:39 PM
Uh . . . I guess you haven't interacted much with people if you think that's the case. At least not with people online. People will vote for awful stuff for all kinds of reasons.

No, putting something like that up for vote to the player base would be a dumb idea, pure and simple.

Letting the player base listen in on proposals will cut down on developer time. Isn't dev time the big precious resource behind downing most suggestions? If we narrow the proposals down as a community to a smaller pool, it would require less for them. No?

I am aware that nasty people project themselves onto the rest of the world and see only selfishness and narrowness everywhere, but let's take a leap here and assume that the voting wouldn't turn out so 'popularity contest.' The community helps maintain an open wiki--it can do this.

Also, youtube was just part of my suggestion, there are lots of ways to share stuff.

Bloodskittle
07-07-2015, 05:58 AM
Also, youtube was just part of my suggestion, there are lots of ways to share stuff.

Thanks for expanding on my idea guys, though probably worthy of its own thread, I'd also like to see a competition for a module, essentially players create original dungeons and one is selected to be in the game!