PDA

View Full Version : Downtime Notice: Monday, June 29th 8:00 AM - 11:00 AM Eastern (-4 GMT)

Frelorn
06-28-2015, 01:43 PM
UPDATE: The game worlds have reopened. Thank you!

The game worlds will be unavailable from 8:00 AM - 11:00 AM Eastern (-4 GMT) on Monday, June 29th for a Hotfix. Thank you for your patience, and we will see you in the game!

mpetrarca
06-28-2015, 01:58 PM
but will this fix the client from crashing when switching characters?

Qhualor
06-28-2015, 02:00 PM
The game worlds will be unavailable from 8:00 AM - 11:00 AM Eastern (-4 GMT) on Monday, June 29th for a Hotfix. Thank you for your patience, and we will see you in the game!

hmmm..

looks at join date

looks at post count

looks at post history

Jerry, is this your sock puppet?

:D

Nestroy
06-28-2015, 02:15 PM
Another working day, another hot fix...

Lerl
06-28-2015, 02:37 PM
Nope! LOTR Community Manager. :)

Missing_Minds
06-28-2015, 03:16 PM

9/10 times that is your own PC setup, Microsoft, and drivers issue.

Also a loss of connection is not a crash as disruptive as it is.

Qhualor
06-28-2015, 03:23 PM

I guess that puts this issue into the 1/10 times.

UurlockYgmeov
06-28-2015, 03:31 PM
Another working day, another hot fix...

no matter what time of day, no matter what day of week - downtime affects some players. :D

with that said - good, glad they were able to get this figured out and patched asap.

Cordovan
06-28-2015, 04:33 PM
Monday's hotfix is being done to address the issue where the game client is crashing when folks switch characters.

Myrddinman
06-28-2015, 04:46 PM
Monday's hotfix is being done to address the issue where the game client is crashing when folks switch characters.

Any news about this finally solving the memory leak issues when swapping characters?

mpetrarca
06-29-2015, 01:40 AM

LOL, Quad Core Xeon Processor, 2Gb DDR5 Nvidia card, 12 Gb of ecc ram, Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, 320Gb SSD, no I think my setup is more then enough to run ddo, which I might add is only 3 months old.

Wh070aa
06-29-2015, 03:43 AM
Man downtime all day everyday. At least the reboot might fix the lag on G-land.

PNP
06-29-2015, 03:49 AM
Anything about awesomium renderer - cause there is nothing awesome about it, I start fresh, I open DDO and I have 7 lamesaucemium renderer running - I do not ocunt when DDO lags how many processes are running as I just shutdown ddo - I read some of the posts on the forums, and I understand why turbine would use it but this is really really annoying. Albeit the fact that I moved to a different timezone and now for the last year all the downtime have meant no play, I am OK with it, it is part of the deal when I sign up to play DDO but I did not sign for crapomium renderer.

My 2 euro cents, and there are worth more than your 2 US cents atm.

Aons
06-29-2015, 04:25 AM
Man downtime all day everyday. At least the reboot might fix the lag on G-land.

Only a Lvl 30 dev can fix this.

cdbd3rd
06-29-2015, 04:28 AM

You really REALLY need to get yourself added to the Dev Tracker.

luvirini
06-29-2015, 05:39 AM
LOL, Quad Core Xeon Processor, 2Gb DDR5 Nvidia card, 12 Gb of ecc ram, Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, 320Gb SSD, no I think my setup is more then enough to run ddo, which I might add is only 3 months old.

Bah, you need at least a 4 socket Xeon board with 4*E7-8890 v3 for 72 cores total, dual 12 GB GTX TITAN Z in SLI mode, 3TB of DDR 4 memory and a raid controller with large cache and a array of SSDs to run DDO!!!! :P

Faltout
06-29-2015, 06:36 AM
Bah, you need at least a 4 socket Xeon board with 4*E7-8890 v3 for 72 cores total, dual 12 GB GTX TITAN Z in SLI mode, 3TB of DDR 4 memory and a raid controller with large cache and a array of SSDs to run DDO!!!! :P
I thought only super-computers with at least 1 million cores could run DDO. I'm thinking of building one under my basement for heating purposes :)

Btw, how powerful your computer is does not matter for DDO, since it will not take more than 2GB of memory to run in normal mode (without leaks) and will only take one processor (no hyperthreading). Also, graphics use the same commands as pre 2010 graphics cards. So, any parallel cards will most likely not affect performance.
And that's what you can only hope to get: Performance. Bugs in your setup will still cause crashes, memory leaks, connection losses, etc. So, when we say "It's your setup", then it can also mean that some combination of software (not hardware) could be causing the trouble.

And on the topic of character switching and crashes, I have switched characters successfully many times since last update. Thing is, after logout, I wait a few moments for the memory to get freed, then select the new character, then wait till he loads, then enter the world. Same with reincarnation where I close the client altogether. It would be nice however for the game to keep freeing previous memory even after I have loaded into the world with a new character.

Xerio
06-29-2015, 07:03 AM
I thought only super-computers with at least 1 million cores could run DDO. I'm thinking of building one under my basement for heating purposes :)

Btw, how powerful your computer is does not matter for DDO, since it will not take more than 2GB of memory to run in normal mode (without leaks) and will only take one processor (no hyperthreading). Also, graphics use the same commands as pre 2010 graphics cards. So, any parallel cards will most likely not affect performance.
And that's what you can only hope to get: Performance. Bugs in your setup will still cause crashes, memory leaks, connection losses, etc. So, when we say "It's your setup", then it can also mean that some combination of software (not hardware) could be causing the trouble.

And on the topic of character switching and crashes, I have switched characters successfully many times since last update. Thing is, after logout, I wait a few moments for the memory to get freed, then select the new character, then wait till he loads, then enter the world. Same with reincarnation where I close the client altogether. It would be nice however for the game to keep freeing previous memory even after I have loaded into the world with a new character.

but I like my 417FPS in DDO!

Acoustical
06-29-2015, 07:48 AM

My Commodore 64 never crashes!

PNP
06-29-2015, 07:49 AM
but I like my 417FPS in DDO!

And that is why I hate you Fey... lol (just a joke, fellow guildie here)

thesiuscadol
06-29-2015, 08:05 AM
My Commodore 64 never crashes!

Well I still have issues with my Sinclair 1000.

minorpenthes
06-29-2015, 08:23 AM
Well I still have issues with my Sinclair 1000.

Well, since I cleaned the heads on my tape deck, my TRS 80 has been running much, much better...

macadope
06-29-2015, 08:26 AM
On a side note I actually used to have a computer called a VIC-20...anyone remember those.

PS Game is up

Limey
06-29-2015, 08:36 AM
On a side note I actually used to have a computer called a VIC-20...anyone remember those.

PS Game is up

Yes my friend had a VIC 20 and at school they had Commodore PETs they were fancy cos they had a built in monitor AND tape drive! The screen was multi color, green and black.

Cordovan
06-29-2015, 08:49 AM
The game worlds have reopened, thank you!

Paleus
06-29-2015, 08:52 AM

This hot-fix has been specifically mentioned as addressing reported crashes when switching characters. So, while I am one who will regularly try to rule out a person's own PC as the culprit as a first step, it's pretty clear this is the 1/10 time.

Admittedly, that information was scattered elsewhere in the forums so it's reasonable you may have missed it, though of course it was confirmed as the intent in this thread after your post. And, while it should not require mentioning, just because the intent is to fix the cause of these crashes, doesn't mean it will. And certainly doesn't mean people won't crash for other reasons, some of which may be the 1/10 and others while will be the 9/10 (just going to accept as is and not even try to dispute those SOMA stats).

cyreme
06-29-2015, 08:55 AM
But wait! Downtime ended too early! I was blindsided on my day off. Whaaa! :)
Jokes aside, this is 2nd update/hotfix that gets done ahead of schedule. Keep up the good work development team! I like this new direction :)

Rubix
06-29-2015, 09:02 AM
This hot-fix has been specifically mentioned as addressing reported crashes when switching characters. So, while I am one who will regularly try to rule out a person's own PC as the culprit as a first step, it's pretty clear this is the 1/10 time.

Admittedly, that information was scattered elsewhere in the forums so it's reasonable you may have missed it, though of course it was confirmed as the intent in this thread after your post. And, while it should not require mentioning, just because the intent is to fix the cause of these crashes, doesn't mean it will. And certainly doesn't mean people won't crash for other reasons, some of which may be the 1/10 and others while will be the 9/10 (just going to accept as is and not even try to dispute those SOMA stats).

Well, it is certainly odd that this constant "disappearing" of the game had been happening, stopped for a few months, and resurfaced again with the last update. My system has not changed. I have installed no additional software. DDO is the only thing which had changed other than the MS updates.

Oh, and by the way, whatever the issues were that this hotfix was supposed to fix: it didn't. I logged in, ran around the public areas and zoned a few times, fiddled with inventory and then went off to run my bi-weekly ADQ. Just as the end fight starts, the client quits and I'm left looking at the desktop. So, I logged in again, switched characters a couple of time to check and BAM! the game quits to desktop again.

Xerio
06-29-2015, 09:04 AM
And that is why I hate you Fey... lol (just a joke, fellow guildie here)

GASP! my secret is out now you know why I'm always half a quest ahead of you..

Full_Bleed
06-29-2015, 09:21 AM
Oh, and by the way, whatever the issues were that this hotfix was supposed to fix: it didn't.
It was supposed to fix switching characters at the character selection screen.

It's working fine for me now.

I just switched characters 6-7 times with no problem. Fired up a second client to see it that would make a difference and still had no issues.

If you're having some other problems, you should seek technical assistance and look for ways to reliably reproduce your issue.

DeathtoGnomes
06-29-2015, 09:29 AM
best way to handle computer issues is toss it off the roof and go fishing. :D

TerysDethswind
06-29-2015, 11:58 AM
My game won't work at all since the hotfix, anyone else having that issue?

L2Marshall
06-29-2015, 12:11 PM
Before this hotfix I never experienced the game crashes people were complaining about, now I am crashing at least once every quest.

kanordog
06-29-2015, 12:43 PM

I couldn't swap toons because I just crashed to desktop by clicking on the vendor, when I get back I will try and let You know how it went.

Bimbelbo
06-29-2015, 12:45 PM

Dude srsly ... can I get some of your Kool Aid? I wanna become a zealot like you !

kanordog
06-29-2015, 12:56 PM
I couldn't swap toons because I just crashed to desktop by clicking on the vendor, when I get back I will try and let You know how it went.

Yes, I can swap toons now.

PS Game is up

Amok! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq0CTYotM08
I gave mine to a museum (really).

Ovrad
06-29-2015, 01:19 PM
Any news about this finally solving the memory leak issues when swapping characters?

We'll get to it Soon™

-Turbine, 2009

Nigel137
06-29-2015, 04:24 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Rubix View Post

Oh, and by the way, whatever the issues were that this hotfix was supposed to fix: it didn't.

I just switched characters 6-7 times with no problem. Fired up a second client to see it that would make a difference and still had no issues.

If you're having some other problems, you should seek technical assistance and look for ways to reliably reproduce your issue.

I can confirm this statement. Not that baloney about it working fine now, the other, correct one. Whatever the hot fix was supposed to fix, it didn't. I just logged in, rolled my daily dice, then tried to swap characters. CRASH BURN SMOLDERING ASHES sent to desktop. Failed on the very first try. This issue is not HIS issue, its a GAME issue.

Kompera_Oberon
06-30-2015, 12:06 AM
I didn't get a chance to see if the "fix" fixed anything, because my client crashed ~5 minutes after I logged on. All I'd done was move from the deck to the cargo hold on the airship and opened the AH to check some auctions.