PDA

View Full Version : Iconic Warlock Recommendation?

PentegarnDarras
06-25-2015, 08:57 AM
I know we have some build guru's in here, so what would you recommend as an Iconic Warlock?

Bladeforged P2/W13?
Sun Elf C2/W13?

UurlockYgmeov
06-25-2015, 02:24 PM
I know we have some build guru's in here, so what would you recommend as an Iconic Warlock?

Bladeforged P2/W13?
Sun Elf C2/W13?

PDK 2 Pal / 18 War
or
2 Pal 3 FvS 15 War

icekinslayer
06-28-2015, 09:28 PM

Bladeforged P2/W13?
Sun Elf C2/W13?

bladeforged 2pally/18warlock. -reconstruct SLA - fey pact - maximize intelligence, charisma, con, and str in that order - pump spellcraft and perform as high as you can - thf chain greatsword with augments for spellpower augments - maximize and empower feats for the enlightened scholar aura's and bursts

Jiirix
06-29-2015, 05:06 AM
If you have a spare lesser heart +1: Pure PDK Warlock melee + max. fire damage.

FuzzyDuck81
06-30-2015, 03:08 AM
Personally speaking, i'd stick with a pure warlock, so i'd have to use a +1 LR whichever way i went.

Shadar-kai - great old ones or fiend pact, since you can get an abundant step ability through racial enhancements, then probably eldritch scholar & soul eater for a nice "soul-eating shadow-dweller" vibe

Bladeforged - reconstruct is naturally great, though you'd likely be stuck with mithral body since adamantine won't benefit from shape vestements & give the full ASF. Probably go fey or fiend pact & enlightened spirit & dish out the hurt from the middle of the melee.

Morninglord - racial curative/buff/light stuff, really maximise your light powers & t5 plus capstone in your preference of scholar for more ranged blasting or aura-focussed for mixing it up in a melee. Pact-wise, i'd probably go with fiend for fire stuff & run in crusader in epics, or fey for the mobility.

MaxenThor
07-03-2015, 11:58 AM
I have a question concerning the recommended builds. Why three levels of FvS? Thanks.

Jetrule
07-03-2015, 12:57 PM
Sun Elf Cleric 1 Warlock 19 to make a no extra cost iconic. 1 point in battle priest gets you 5 fire and light spell power. A few in divine disciple gets extra light or universal spell power and crit chance. The racial tree can provide some low cost buffs and 2 full heal/restore rejuvenation of dawn.

They start with a nice orb for light and fire power and armor for light and fire lore. They will as a drawback have the fewest hit points of any Iconic you could make as a first life. They will have the best dps blasts you can make as long as you pick up utterdark enhancement and fiend pact.

Gremlin1forged
07-04-2015, 05:20 PM
I'm about to TR my bladeforged, he's on a wizard life, and was considering doing a warlock life (1Paladin, 1Fvs, 18 warlock (fey pact)). The 1 level of FvS is for access to the favored soul enhancements, the 1 level paladin is because he's bladeforged, and 18 warlock, i'm basing it loosely on the warforged air savant build from U19 (great build).

Enderoc
07-04-2015, 05:50 PM
Warlock on any iconic race I think would not be optimal. Its best suited for a Drow I think and going like 3 bard, possibly 1 Favored Soul,and 16-17 warlock.

Memnir
07-04-2015, 07:58 PM
PDK 1 FTR/rest Warlock Enlightened Spirit is pretty damn fun. Makes good sense on a ES build, as the FTR level gives you shields, medium armor (frees up APs), longsword, and an extra feat.

Was thinking Bladeforged would make for a very nice ES build as well, but PDK works so darn well due to being able to use CHA for melee rolls.

Daine
07-04-2015, 08:49 PM
I just finished levelling a 2pally/18 warlock heavy on the enlightened spirit tree, fey pact, running an aura + 2 blasts + melee, loads of fun, I recommend it!

The only pally enhancements I went for were to get my lay on hands up to 5 uses per rest, which were plenty, and then only spent on the warlock trees (ie ignored race and harper). None of this pew pew pew, or fwoop fwoop fwooop, or whatever, just jump in the thick of it and start swinging, and blasting and bursting and emanating and eventually "tentacle'ing"

Stoneskin for a warlock currently uses bat guano for an ingredient so buy a stack of 1000 and start spamming that and displacement.

I maxxed charisma and got force of personality, so I got double (my massive) charisma bonus to will saves and 'just' my charisma bonus to all other saves.

2pally/18 warlock certainly isn't the only way to experience the class, but it is a fun way!

elvesunited
07-04-2015, 09:56 PM
I went with a 1 Fighter / 19 Warlock PDK tank build. Great Old One Pact.
So I could get charisma for hit and damage for 3 AP.

Everything else went into the warlock trees.
38 AP Enlightened ( 5 core ) - level 5 enhancements for temp hp, displacement, blast
31 AP Soul Eater ( 5 core ) - Consume, Stricken, life force
8 AP Tainted Scholar ( 2 Core ) - for utterdark, +10% spell crit damage, 20 depravity

Heavy Armor, Shield Proficency, Tower Shield, +1 free fighter feat, +1 Human feat
Since this build ignores DC casting ( and can't cast most while using his tower shield ) in favor of high hp, AC, PPR, and MRR it's working out quite well. Though for distance attack I'd probably pick something else.

My thought on distance would be Bladeforged:

20th level warlock ( costing a +1 LR )
Fey Pact ( for better special abilities and spells )
Tainted Scholar: minimum 41 AP to get capstone ( which in this case is that good )
Enlightened Spirit: 31 AP ( for 2 extra 3d6 extra light damage add ons effected by spellpower and crits with each eldritch attack. Really helps with Shiradi )
8 AP to get the full reconstruct from the Bladeforged tree
Max Charisma. Everything else in Constitution.

Granted with Drow you could pull off +4 Charisma over the Bladeforged, but I've done the glass cannon, limited healing arcane thing before. And that base 14-15 Con and -25 max hp from tainted will leave you desperately searching for every scrap of hp you could get.

RTFM
07-05-2015, 04:44 AM
I have a bladeforged doing some epic PL now. I planned on 3-4 eTR's so used a +1 heart to go pure 20 Warlock Bladeforged (lawful good, could not bother getting rid of the alignment). It is only his 5th life, but seems solid in EE's. Just pure shiradi blasting with some CC (evards, (mind fog/disco ball/symbol of death combo) , web)

Base stats: Max CHA, 18 CON, rest into INT. All lvl ups into CHA.
Fey pact.
Feats: Evo DC, PL Wizard, Quicken, Mental toughness, Improved mental toughness, Heighten, Mithral Body (this could be something else for sure), Epic blasting, epic mental toughness, epic arcane blasting, ruin, epic light power (or hellball).
Skills: Spellcraft max, perform max, rest in Diplomacy, Balance, 2 into tumble, remaining into UMD
Enhancements: Bladeforged enough to get power of the forge communion of scribing. Tainted Scholar to Eldrich Power, evo DC, and Planer Focus and Heretical Lore. Enlightened Spirit for extra MRR, PRR and all 6 Power of Enlightenment.
Shiradi Champion ED
Twists:Sense Weakness, Evo DC from draconic, Evo DC from Magister (my toon only has three twists so far).

This build is having no issues in any EE content. Just run around blasting stuff. Just make sure your gear is always the max light spell power, max sonic spell power, and the rest as high as you can reasonably get them with a potency item and pots. Epic Ring of Master Artifice nice to have to ensure you are always 1 click healing to full or near full health. Be careful of traps the REF save is the achilles heel!

Bladeforged P2/W13?
Sun Elf C2/W13?

jambajuicey
07-07-2015, 04:15 PM
Granted with Drow you could pull off +4 Charisma over the Bladeforged, but I've done the glass cannon, limited healing arcane thing before. And that base 14-15 Con and -25 max hp from tainted will leave you desperately searching for every scrap of hp you could get.

Just curious how Drow is limited healing with cocoon, CMW, various enhancements that heal direct hps or temp?

elvesunited
07-07-2015, 05:48 PM
Just curious how Drow is limited healing with cocoon, CMW, various enhancements that heal direct hps or temp?

Ah yes, put the work in and it pays off.

--- False Life, A Greensteel item focused on hp, vitality, and constitution enhancements.
--- Twisted Healing Coccoon ( multiple spheres over ) and as much healing amp you can find.
--- As much PRR and MRR you can get ( my wizard uses greater twilight half plate heavy armor and a crystal alchemical large shield )

But you'll still find you're low hp in groups. And finding yourself waiting on that Healing Cocoon cooldown. But low hp issues are managable.

Chronic_1
07-15-2015, 11:44 AM
If you want a caster build and don't want to burn a +1 heart, I would go Sun Elf. I needed one more sun elf life so I went 1c/19w. I put points into Divine Disciple for extra light spell damage and light critical. I didn't even miss the warlock level. I spent most of my points in Tainted Scholar and then took Enlightened Spirit up to the medium armor and celestial spirit core. Mainly used chain but switched to enervation shadow for bosses. It was a fun warlock life.

Enoach
07-15-2015, 12:41 PM
I think all of them offer interesting aspects

Bladeforge w/Paladin Levels - Offers a self heal as well as Saves with 2 Levels of Paladin. Good Survivability, feats can be used more for offensive.

PDK w/Fighter Levels - Offers use of Charisma for Melee. Fighter Level opens up options as well as extra feat(s) for melee purposes

Shadar-Ki - Rogue level adds trap/lock flexibility and the shadow abilities can work well with a play style that likes to sneak in - coupled with enchantment abilities

Sun Elf - Light/Fire enhancements with Cleric Level, Light enhancement, access to up to two self Full Heals per rest

HastyPudding
07-18-2015, 03:15 PM
If you want a caster build and don't want to burn a +1 heart, I would go Sun Elf. I needed one more sun elf life so I went 1c/19w. I put points into Divine Disciple for extra light spell damage and light critical. I didn't even miss the warlock level. I spent most of my points in Tainted Scholar and then took Enlightened Spirit up to the medium armor and celestial spirit core. Mainly used chain but switched to enervation shadow for bosses. It was a fun warlock life.

Sun elf also has elven arcanum (+3 spell pen and +100 SP) and +1 enchantment DC's (if you go up that part of the tree). Also the +2 int isn't bad, either, and they have elven fluidity, -15% arcane spell failure.

LightBear
08-01-2015, 08:46 AM
This is what I'm planning for my next life:

Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 04.25.04
DDO Character Planner Home Page (http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO)

R2-WL18 TN Shadar-Kai
Level 28 True Neutral Shadar-Kai Female
(2 Rogue \ 18 Warlock \ 8 Epic)
Hit Points: 420
Spell Points: 1250
BAB: 14\14\19\24
Fortitude: 13
Reflex: 14
Will: 14

Starting Ending Feat/Enhancement
Abilities Base Stats Base Stats Modified Stats
(36 Point) (Level 1) (Level 28) (Level 28)
Strength 8 13 13
Dexterity 10 15 15
Constitution 16 21 21
Intelligence 16 21 21
Wisdom 8 13 13
Charisma 16 28 28

Tomes Used
+1 Tome of Strength used at level 3
+1 Tome of Dexterity used at level 3
+1 Tome of Constitution used at level 3
+1 Tome of Intelligence used at level 3
+1 Tome of Wisdom used at level 3
+1 Tome of Charisma used at level 3
+2 Tome of Strength used at level 7
+2 Tome of Dexterity used at level 7
+2 Tome of Constitution used at level 7
+2 Tome of Intelligence used at level 7
+2 Tome of Wisdom used at level 7
+2 Tome of Charisma used at level 7
+3 Tome of Strength used at level 11
+3 Tome of Dexterity used at level 11
+3 Tome of Constitution used at level 11
+3 Tome of Intelligence used at level 11
+3 Tome of Wisdom used at level 11
+3 Tome of Charisma used at level 11
+4 Tome of Strength used at level 15
+4 Tome of Dexterity used at level 15
+4 Tome of Constitution used at level 15
+4 Tome of Intelligence used at level 15
+4 Tome of Wisdom used at level 15
+4 Tome of Charisma used at level 15
+5 Tome of Strength used at level 19
+5 Tome of Dexterity used at level 19
+5 Tome of Constitution used at level 19
+5 Tome of Intelligence used at level 19
+5 Tome of Wisdom used at level 19
+5 Tome of Charisma used at level 19

Starting Ending Feat/Enhancement
Base Skills Base Skills Modified Skills
Skills (Level 1) (Level 28) (Level 28)
Balance 4 7 15
Bluff 7 14 22
Concentration 3 28 36
Diplomacy 3 9 17
Disable Device 7 10 19
Haggle 3 9 17
Heal -1 1 9
Hide 0 2 10
Intimidate 3 13 21
Jump 3 24 32
Listen 3 6 14
Move Silently 0 2 10
Open Lock 4 7 15
Perform n/a 20 28
Repair 3 5 14
Search 7 10 19
Spellcraft 3 28 36
Spot 3 6 14
Swim 3 6 14
Tumble 4 7 15
Use Magic Device 7 32 51

Level 1 (Rogue)
Skill: Balance (+4)
Skill: Bluff (+4)
Skill: Disable Device (+4)
Skill: Jump (+4)
Skill: Listen (+4)
Skill: Open Lock (+4)
Skill: Search (+4)
Skill: Spot (+4)
Skill: Swim (+4)
Skill: Tumble (+4)
Skill: Use Magic Device (+4)
Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Artificer
Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Barbarian
Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Bard
Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Cleric
Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Druid
Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Favored Soul
Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Fighter
Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Monk
Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Paladin
Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Ranger
Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Rogue
Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Sorcerer
Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Warlock
Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Wizard
Feat: (Selected) Toughness
Feat: (Automatic) Attack
Feat: (Automatic) Heroic Durability
Feat: (Automatic) Light Armor Proficiency
Feat: (Automatic) Martial Weapon Proficiency: Rapier
Feat: (Automatic) Martial Weapon Proficiency: Shortsword
Feat: (Automatic) Martial Weapon Proficiency: Shortbow
Feat: (Automatic) Simple Weapon Proficiency
Feat: (Automatic) Sneak
Feat: (Automatic) Sneak Attack
Feat: (Automatic) Trapfinding

Level 2 (Rogue)
Skill: Balance (+1)
Skill: Bluff (+1)
Skill: Disable Device (+1)
Skill: Jump (+1)
Skill: Listen (+1)
Skill: Open Lock (+1)
Skill: Search (+1)
Skill: Spot (+1)
Skill: Swim (+1)
Skill: Tumble (+1)
Skill: Use Magic Device (+1)
Feat: (Automatic) Defensive Fighting
Feat: (Automatic) Evasion
Feat: (Automatic) Sunder
Feat: (Automatic) Trip

Level 3 (Warlock)
Skill: Spellcraft (+5)
Feat: (Selected) Past Life: Arcane Initiate
Feat: (Automatic) Magical Training
Feat: (Automatic) Warlock: Deceive Item
Feat: (Automatic) Warlock: Eldritch Blast Damage
Feat: (Automatic) Warlock: Eldritch Blast Focused
Feat: (Automatic) Warlock: Pact Magic: Fiend
Spell (1): Expeditious Retreat

Level 4 (Warlock)
Ability Raise: CHA
Skill: Spellcraft (+2)
Skill: Use Magic Device (+2)
Feat: (Automatic) Warlock: Pact Damage
Spell (1): False Life

Level 5 (Warlock)
Skill: Jump (+2)
Skill: Perform (+0.5)
Skill: Spellcraft (+1)

Level 6 (Warlock)
Skill: Perform (+1)
Feat: (Selected) Spell Focus: Evocation
Feat: (Automatic) Warlock: Fiendish Resilience
Spell (2): Sleet Storm

Level 7 (Warlock)
Feat: (Automatic) Improved Heroic Durability

Level 8 (Warlock)
Skill: Perform (+1.5)
Feat: (Automatic) Warlock: Dark One's Luck

Level 9 (Warlock)
Skill: Perform (+1.5)
Feat: (Selected) Greater Spell Focus: Evocation
Spell (3): Displacement

Level 10 (Warlock)
Skill: Concentration (+1)
Spell (2): Scare

Level 11 (Warlock)
Skill: Concentration (+2)

Level 12 (Warlock)
Feat: (Selected) Mental Toughness
Spell (4): Evard's Black Tentacles

Level 13 (Warlock)
Spell (3): Dark Discorporation

Level 14 (Warlock)
Feat: (Automatic) Warlock: Paragon's Aegis

Level 15 (Warlock)
Feat: (Selected) Improved Mental Toughness
Spell (5): Tenser's Transformation

Level 16 (Warlock)
Skill: Concentration (+3)
Spell (4): Flesh to Stone

Level 17 (Warlock)
Feat: (Automatic) Warlock: Hurl Through Hell

Level 18 (Warlock)
Feat: (Selected) Quicken Spell
Spell (6): Wail of the Banshee

Level 19 (Warlock)
Skill: Intimidate (+1)
Spell (5): Finger of Death

Level 20 (Warlock)
Skill: Concentration (+1)
Skill: Intimidate (+3)

Level 21 (Epic)
Feat: (Selected) Epic: Epic Mental Toughness
Feat: (Automatic) Epic: Epic Power
Feat: (Automatic) Epic: Epic Skills

Level 22 (Epic)

Level 23 (Epic)

Level 24 (Epic)
Feat: (Selected) Maximize Spell

Level 25 (Epic)

Level 26 (Epic)
Feat: (Epic Destiny) Arcane Sphere: Epic Spell Power: Fire

Level 27 (Epic)
Feat: (Selected) Empower Spell

Level 28 (Epic)
Feat: (Epic Destiny) Divine Sphere: Epic Spell Power: Fire

If you're a completionist then you probably wanna take that feat at lever 3 instead of Wizard.
I could not lay out the Prestiges as they where missing, also no greater spell focus for warlocks?

Edit:
Please take special note of Shadar-kai starting out with 6 cha, so not the best dc to start out with.
This means investing in items to boost it up higher.

PsychoBlonde
08-02-2015, 11:44 AM
Sun Elf Cleric 1 Warlock 19 to make a no extra cost iconic. 1 point in battle priest gets you 5 fire and light spell power. A few in divine disciple gets extra light or universal spell power and crit chance. The racial tree can provide some low cost buffs and 2 full heal/restore rejuvenation of dawn.

They start with a nice orb for light and fire power and armor for light and fire lore. They will as a drawback have the fewest hit points of any Iconic you could make as a first life. They will have the best dps blasts you can make as long as you pick up utterdark enhancement and fiend pact.

This. I'd go 2 cleric, though--2 more spell crit from the tier 2 divine disciple tree, and you lose nothing from Warlock--you don't get diddly that's worthwhile for going 19 instead of 18.

But definitely do go 18 warlock, the level 18 cores are critical, particularly the modal ability in Enlightened Spirit that adds 3d6 light damage to all of your blasts. It scales with spellpower so it's a substantial damage boostie.

Exalted Angel, Divine Crusader, and Shiradi are all great destinies for Warlock.

FuzzyDuck81
08-07-2015, 05:38 AM
This. I'd go 2 cleric, though--2 more spell crit from the tier 2 divine disciple tree, and you lose nothing from Warlock--you don't get diddly that's worthwhile for going 19 instead of 18.

But definitely do go 18 warlock, the level 18 cores are critical, particularly the modal ability in Enlightened Spirit that adds 3d6 light damage to all of your blasts. It scales with spellpower so it's a substantial damage boostie.

Exalted Angel, Divine Crusader, and Shiradi are all great destinies for Warlock.

Well, 19th warlock level is the pact-baed level 6 spell - PWK is pretty tasty for those "this thing needs to die now" moments & ottos irresistible & howl of terror are nice crowd control things.

The handy extra bonus you get from keeping the sun elf's cleric level(s) is ability to take the empower healing feat, which you can apply to cocoon, light the dark, renewal & mCMW for an even bigger survivability boost for yourself & help you assist your party too.

I agree with the destiny choices, and angel is my personal favourite (i usually have empyrean magic, cocoon & sigil of battering spellcraft twisted), even as a melee aura-using type since you can charge up reborn in light in moments, giving you a great power-up for whenever you fancy using it.

donblas
08-07-2015, 06:55 AM
PDK 1 FTR/rest Warlock Enlightened Spirit is pretty damn fun. Makes good sense on a ES build, as the FTR level gives you shields, medium armor (frees up APs), longsword, and an extra feat.

Was thinking Bladeforged would make for a very nice ES build as well, but PDK works so darn well due to being able to use CHA for melee rolls.

Warforged and THF needs some STR, which I've dumped.

I also found PDK 1FTR/2PAL/17 Warlock Enlightened spirit to be fun also. PDK for cha to damage with swords, pally for saves. With easily obtainable gear she has AC, MRR and PRR all at about 100, saves all around 60, about 1300 HP with shining through. Important spell powers (light, force, sonic) all about 250 (no doubt with better gear could get them higher). Cha (for DC, SP, saves, melee damage) is about 50.

As a casual gamer I found this to be extremely capable and very fast leveling compared to many of my toons, getting from 15 to cap since warlock was introduced and did my first EE easily (duo with wife's rogue).

I recommend (although I suspect it's way off optimal) as a hard-hitting, tough fun type of toon :)

I think I need to start a new one! :)

JOTMON
08-07-2015, 07:45 AM
Warforged and THF needs some STR, which I've dumped.

I also found PDK 1FTR/2PAL/17 Warlock Enlightened spirit to be fun also. PDK for cha to damage with swords, pally for saves. With easily obtainable gear she has AC, MRR and PRR all at about 100, saves all around 60, about 1300 HP with shining through. Important spell powers (light, force, sonic) all about 250 (no doubt with better gear could get them higher). Cha (for DC, SP, saves, melee damage) is about 50.

As a casual gamer I found this to be extremely capable and very fast leveling compared to many of my toons, getting from 15 to cap since warlock was introduced and did my first EE easily (duo with wife's rogue).

I recommend (although I suspect it's way off optimal) as a hard-hitting, tough fun type of toon :)

I think I need to start a new one! :)

PDK melee variant with Warlock is a solid variant, as an endgame variant I would probably LR out the Fighter and end up PDK 18 Warlock/2 Paladin.
ES from 18 Warlock is worth it.
~Celestial Spirit: Toggle: When enabled, you float above the ground, gain Feather Falling, and are immune to knockdown effects.
~When enabled, your Eldritch Blasts gain 3d6 Light damage. Your Eldritch Aura now affects enemies every 2 seconds.

Currently I am playing out a Bladeforged 18 Warlock / 2 Paladin.
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/463811-Porcupine-Bladeforged-Warlock-18-Paladin-2
been fun playing, great survivability, saves, and damage.

donblas
08-07-2015, 08:08 AM
PDK melee variant with Warlock is a solid variant, as an endgame variant I would probably LR out the Fighter and end up PDK 18 Warlock/2 Paladin.
ES from 18 Warlock is worth it.
~Celestial Spirit: Toggle: When enabled, you float above the ground, gain Feather Falling, and are immune to knockdown effects.
~When enabled, your Eldritch Blasts gain 3d6 Light damage. Your Eldritch Aura now affects enemies every 2 seconds.

Currently I am playing out a Bladeforged 18 Warlock / 2 Paladin.
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/463811-Porcupine-Bladeforged-Warlock-18-Paladin-2
been fun playing, great survivability, saves, and damage.

I would probably have LRed out the Fighter but it was my first warlock and zoomed through levels so fast I couldn't be bothered! :)

Next time I suspect I will do so.

New-RS-God
08-17-2015, 12:26 PM
Out of the builds I have found, I'm really liking this one:
Morninglock 1 Cleric 19 Warlock (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/463826-MorningLock-1-Cleric-19-Warlock-Iconic)

Currently running the V2 of the build.

Props to CernunnosM (https://www.ddo.com/forums/member.php/410691-CernunnosM) for the build.