PDA

View Full Version : Int-Based Single Weapon Fighting Artificer

TMTrainer
06-10-2015, 05:57 PM
So, first attempt at building a non-Warforged, non-Bladeforged melee Artificer. This is what I settled for a third life character and I am currently leveling with this build design in mind. I'm curious what I could add, change, or do differently with this build. Keep in mind I'm not the best with builds, but I felt this could be a really cool little thing for a Artificer life that isn't just firing a crossbow. In regards to stats, I know I'm running with a low amount of Con, but...

Tomes: +2 Dex, +1 Int, +2 Cha

Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 04.23.01
DDO Character Planner Home Page (http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO)

Shuckle
Level 20 True Neutral Human Male
(20 Artificer)
Hit Points: 200
Spell Points: 1099
BAB: 15\15\20\25\25
Fortitude: 8
Reflex: 7
Will: 11

Starting Feat/Enhancement
Abilities Base Stats Modified Stats
(36 Point) (Level 1) (Level 20)
Strength 16 16
Dexterity 12 12
Constitution 14 14
Intelligence 18 23
Wisdom 8 8
Charisma 8 8

Base Skills Modified Skills
Skills (Level 1) (Level 20)
Balance 4 13.5
Bluff 0 0
Concentration 6 26
Diplomacy 0 0
Disable Device 8 30
Haggle 0 0
Heal -1 0
Hide 2 2
Intimidate 0 0
Jump 3 12
Listen -1 0
Move Silently 2 2
Open Lock 6 25
Perform n/a n/a
Repair 8 32
Search 8 30
Spellcraft 8 30
Spot 3 23
Swim 3 4
Tumble n/a 2.5
Use Magic Device 4 23

You will notice that I did not add feats to this build... well, that is because the builder I used is either out-dated or bugged, and does not include proper Artificer bonus feats; an example being I could not choose Bastard Swords as a bonus feat.

My goal was to specialize in Single Weapon Fighting (it works with Rune Arm + Bastard sword) and run with Cleaves and simply play the game as any other melee, but using the Int -> Damage buff on myself as well as also be able to get an alright DC with Tactical Detonation as well as trap slightly better and have enough skill points to go around. It's designed to be an overall effective self sufficient build, although I went into this not knowing exactly what my damage is going to look like throughout the game.

Feats - (Unsure if this is feasible or correct, but...)

Single Weapon Fighting
Improved Single Weapon Fighting
Greater Single Weapon Fighting

Power Attack
Cleave
Great Cleave

Improved Critical: Slashing

Heavy Armor Proficiency

(Artificer Bonus) Bastard Sword Proficiency
(Artificer Bonus) Extend Spell
(Artificer Bonus) Construct Essence
(Artificer Bonus) ???
(Artificer Bonus) ???

laurawilder
06-10-2015, 08:50 PM
You at level 20 could have an extra 2-4 higher Int from enhancement trees. Plus if you are using Int for hit and damageyou might want to lower str and dex and raise con. Good luck with this build should be fun.

UurlockYgmeov
06-10-2015, 09:00 PM
am reading through now - will post again with thoughts.

check my signature for link to Char Builder Lite --- and I understand that Ron's got some updates, but some things can't go in because the changes require code to be modified.

Going to be using any of the SLA? metamagic is free on them.

else since melee - grab weapon focus - adds 2 melee power (IIRC) so 2% more damage (IIRC)

TMTrainer
06-10-2015, 10:00 PM
You at level 20 could have an extra 2-4 higher Int from enhancement trees. Plus if you are using Int for hit and damageyou might want to lower str and dex and raise con. Good luck with this build should be fun.

I didn't add in any enhancement bonuses due to me not knowing how I am going to lay them out in the end... so I was going to simply wait on adding that to the final build product.

I have 16 str so I have a solid to-hit in later levels and not knowing exactly how Single Weapon Fighting interacts with the Artificer int-to-damage buff... this uncertainty alone does not want me to dump this stat.

I have 12 dex so that Heavy Armor (considering Artificer is a bit squishier than most classes) is just a little more effective.

am reading through now - will post again with thoughts.

check my signature for link to Char Builder Lite --- and I understand that Ron's got some updates, but some things can't go in because the changes require code to be modified.

Going to be using any of the SLA? metamagic is free on them.

else since melee - grab weapon focus - adds 2 melee power (IIRC) so 2% more damage (IIRC)

I'm not going for SLAs because I'm not going a spellcasting based build... although weapon focus doesn't seem like that bad of an idea at all.

If I go into Arcanotechnician at all it will be for Iron Defender/Spell Points/Wand and Scroll Mastery (Definitely getting at LEAST Wand and Scroll Mastery).

TheGuyYouKnow
06-10-2015, 10:56 PM
str wont be any use after level 6 or 12 ap in the harper tree, lower that to 13 for power attack or 12 if you get yourself a tome and put the rest in con.

insightful reflexes would be a thing seeing as your dex is quite low.

16 artificer with 4 fighter for stalwart stance and a bit of added damage, though you would have to pick between tactical detonation and blade barrier later on.

with 16/4 you could easily spend some feats and get manyshot and ips (req.19 dex) for a ranged option, or just keep crossbows.

the artificer trees alone doesnt provide much option for how to spend your ap so going into arcano and taking maximize is a good idea (the sla are very powerful in heroic).

unbongwah
06-11-2015, 09:03 AM
You can gain a big boost to SWF DPS by splashing bard 3-5 for Swashbuckler enhancements; the downsides are losing arty spells & bonus feat(s) and being stuck with Finesseable weapons (might be a problem if you plan to use what's in your TR cache).

skaught78
06-11-2015, 09:51 AM
Sounds fun! But that CON is going to be a problem. I would go with 12 STR and try to get a tome. Also not sure why you are not going to go WF. I've done fleshy arti's before. Was not fun! Just did not have to room to take construct essence feats. Then again, maybe that wont be as big a deal with being able to skip some of the spell boosting feats.

TMTrainer
06-11-2015, 10:49 AM
You can gain a big boost to SWF DPS by splashing bard 3-5 for Swashbuckler enhancements; the downsides are losing arty spells & bonus feat(s) and being stuck with Finesseable weapons (might be a problem if you plan to use what's in your TR cache).

One of the goals of this build was to try SWF without going Swashbuckler, and the second goal was to go with Bastard Swords as the weapon focus. I totally see where you are going with this and I would totally go Swashbuckler if I wasn't sick of bards from my PL. :p

QUOTE=skaught78;5631174]Sounds fun! But that CON is going to be a problem. I would go with 12 STR and try to get a tome. Also not sure why you are not going to go WF. I've done fleshy arti's before. Was not fun! Just did not have to room to take construct essence feats. Then again, maybe that wont be as big a deal with being able to skip some of the spell boosting feats.[/QUOTE]

I wanted some form of healing through repair and, through Human Enhancements, I planned on getting enough Heal amp to negate the heal debuff from Construct Essence.

unbongwah
06-11-2015, 11:09 AM
One of the goals of this build was to try SWF without going Swashbuckler, and the second goal was to go with Bastard Swords as the weapon focus. I totally see where you are going with this and I would totally go Swashbuckler if I wasn't sick of bards from my PL. :p
Fair enough, but the problem is there's just not much in the way of melee DPS boosts from Artificer these days. Deadly Weapons has fallen way behind compared to Holy Sword et al; and BE tree is fairly weak too. I've got a pure arty alt who went SWF+repeaters; and even prior to the most recent Updates, her DPS really lagged behind after I hit lvl 12. :( At one point I considered arty 16 / rgr 4 to go deep into DWS (mostly for Killer), but U25 makes Mechanic a lot more attractive than before.

cru121
06-11-2015, 11:50 AM
I've rolled a similar abomination today, 36pb human. My ambition is to combine arcanotech SLAs (up to Blast Rod) and Cleaves with a master-touched two-hander for some heroic fun (or so I hope). Probably going T5 in Harper.

13 STR (started with just enough for PA, otherwise Cleaves would be delayed)
13 DEX (not sure what the dex is for anymore, perhaps potentially to take some ranged feats if I discover that the build performs abysmally)
16 CON
18 INT

1 PA
1 Cleave
3 Max
4 Quicken
6 Great Cleave
8 Empower
9 PL:Cleric (I want to try this out for some oh-sh*t moments)
12 IC:Slash

This is about how far I got in my plans. I was also thinking about combining it with defensive stance and/or swashbuckling later. Or more castery focus (PL:Wiz, SF:Evo, Heighten; also Augment Summoning could be fun)

Fedora1
06-11-2015, 12:23 PM
I did a SWF Arti dwarf on a first life. Was not the best, but did pretty well. Biggest issue was self healing, construct essence is barely worth it. Better of with CSW and some of the elixirs from collectors and save the spell points for buffs.

Anyway, went INT and invested in the usual Harper enhancements. Took racial d-axe enhancements, and BE hand-and-a-half enhancements. Still pulled out the heavy repeater when appropriate. Of course used SWF line with d-axe, which is a freebie for dwarf since I splashed fighter.

So it was d-axe, SWF, racial d-axe bonuses, BE hand-and-a-half bonuses, deadly weapons, harper INT bonuses. Only went to 20 because of the lack of good destinies for arti.

adrian69
06-14-2015, 09:57 PM
So, first attempt at building a non-Warforged, non-Bladeforged melee Artificer. This is what I settled for a third life character and I am currently leveling with this build design in mind. I'm curious what I could add, change, or do differently with this build. Keep in mind I'm not the best with builds, but I felt this could be a really cool little thing for a Artificer life that isn't just firing a crossbow. In regards to stats, I know I'm running with a low amount of Con, but...

Tomes: +2 Dex, +1 Int, +2 Cha

Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 04.23.01
DDO Character Planner Home Page (http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO)

Shuckle
Level 20 True Neutral Human Male
(20 Artificer)
Hit Points: 200
Spell Points: 1099
BAB: 15\15\20\25\25
Fortitude: 8
Reflex: 7
Will: 11

Abilities Base Stats Modified Stats
(36 Point) (Level 1) (Level 20)
Strength 16 16
Dexterity 12 12
Constitution 14 14
Intelligence 18 23
Wisdom 8 8
Charisma 8 8

Base Skills Modified Skills
Skills (Level 1) (Level 20)
Balance 4 13.5
Bluff 0 0
Concentration 6 26
Diplomacy 0 0
Disable Device 8 30
Haggle 0 0
Heal -1 0
Hide 2 2
Intimidate 0 0
Jump 3 12
Listen -1 0
Move Silently 2 2
Open Lock 6 25
Perform n/a n/a
Repair 8 32
Search 8 30
Spellcraft 8 30
Spot 3 23
Swim 3 4
Tumble n/a 2.5
Use Magic Device 4 23

You will notice that I did not add feats to this build... well, that is because the builder I used is either out-dated or bugged, and does not include proper Artificer bonus feats; an example being I could not choose Bastard Swords as a bonus feat.

My goal was to specialize in Single Weapon Fighting (it works with Rune Arm + Bastard sword) and run with Cleaves and simply play the game as any other melee, but using the Int -> Damage buff on myself as well as also be able to get an alright DC with Tactical Detonation as well as trap slightly better and have enough skill points to go around. It's designed to be an overall effective self sufficient build, although I went into this not knowing exactly what my damage is going to look like throughout the game.

Feats - (Unsure if this is feasible or correct, but...)

Single Weapon Fighting
Improved Single Weapon Fighting
Greater Single Weapon Fighting

Power Attack
Cleave
Great Cleave

Improved Critical: Slashing

Heavy Armor Proficiency

(Artificer Bonus) Bastard Sword Proficiency
(Artificer Bonus) Extend Spell
(Artificer Bonus) Construct Essence
(Artificer Bonus) ???
(Artificer Bonus) ???

My problem with the pure melee swf melee arty is not dmg, the rune arm if used right should be your main damage. You can get it up really high in epics, but not so much in heroics, but survivability as a human and pure arty will also hurt. I love my swf arty. There's nothing as fun to play and I look forward to a pass one day, but to conquer some of the survivablity loss I found that taking 2-3 levels of paladin put you in good. Yeah, DG is getting it's MC nerf one day, but more saves is better than the save you'd have pure.

I can post a copy of my build if you'd like. It's sort of jumbled due to planner being out of date and I can insert certain feat into their right places. I played Barb in the earliest days, moved to FvS mid game, found arty melee, got the privilege of a swf style and loved it more. I'm back at barb for a moment, but will be a completionist melee arty again when the day comes.

Enderoc
08-02-2015, 11:19 AM
I envisioned this first as a dwarf but you could make it human. It focuses on both melee *Dwarven Axe* and repeater, while amping your spell points into epic. I am thinking of doing this after my ranger life and try to max out my destinies from it spending a few lives in ER. I will probably do it a little differently as I have a plus 6 supreme tome and want combat archery. So I will put a single level up in dex, start it off at 16, move precise shot to replace dodge, and improved precise shot where precise is
Runic Axe
18/2 Artificer/Fighter
Dwarf

Level Order

1. Artificer. . . .6. Artificer . . .11. Artificer. . . 16. Artificer
2. Artificer. . . .7. Artificer . . .12. Fighter. . . . 17. Artificer
3. Artificer. . . .8. Artificer . . .13. Artificer. . . 18. Artificer
4. Artificer. . . .9. Fighter . . . .14. Artificer. . . 19. Artificer
5. Artificer. . . 10. Artificer . . .15. Artificer. . . 20. Artificer

Stats
. . . . . . . .28pt . . 36pt . . Level Up
. . . . . . . .---- . . ---- . . --------
Strength. . . . 14. . . .14. . . .4: INT
Dexterity . . . 14. . . .14. . . .8: INT
Constitution. . 16. . . .16. . . 12: INT
Intelligence. . 16. . . .18. . . 16: INT
Wisdom. . . . . .8. . . .10. . . 20: INT
Charisma. . . . .6. . . . 6. . . 24: INT
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .28: INT

Skills
. . . . . A .A. A .A. A .A. A .A. F .A. A .F. A .A. A .A. A .A. A .A
. . . . . 1 .2. 3 .4. 5 .6. 7 .8. 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
. . . . .------------------------------------------------------------
Repair. . 4 .1. 1 .1. 1 .1. 1 .1. . .1. 1 . . 1 .1. 1 .2. 2 .1. 1 .1. 23
Spellcr . 4 .1. 1 .1. 1 .1. 1 .1. . .1. 2 . . 1 .1. 1 .2. 1 .1. 1 .1. 23
Disable . 4 .1. 1 .1. 1 .1. 1 .1. 1 .1. 1 . . 1 .1. 1 .1. 1 .1. 1 .2. 23
Open Lo . 4 .1. 1 .1. 1 .1. 1 .1. . .1. 1 . . 1 .1. 1 .1. 1 .3. 1 .1. 23
Search. . 4 .1. 1 .1. 1 .1. 1 .1. . .1. 1 . . 1 .1. 2 .1. 2 .1. 1 .1. 23
Spot. . . 4 .1. 1 .1. 1 .1. 1 .1. . .2. 1 . . 1 .2. 1 .1. 1 .1. 1 .1. 23
UMD . . . 4 .1. 1 .1. 1 .1. 1 .1. 1 .1. 1 . . 2 .1. 1 .1. 1 .1. 1 .1. 23
Balance . . .½. ½ .½. ½ .½. ½ .1. 1½ ½. ½ . . ½ .½. ½ .½. ½ .½. 1½. . 11
Jump. . . 1 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .7. . . . . . . . . . . .1. .9
Tumble. . 1 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1
. . . . .------------------------------------------------------------
. . . . .32 .8. 8 .8. 8 .8. 8 .9. 7 .9. 9 .7. 9 .9. 9 10 10 10 10 10

Feats

.1. . . . : Power Attack
.3. . . . : Insightful Reflexes
.4 Arti . : Construct Essence
.6. . . . : Single Weapon Fighting
.8 Arti . : Maximize Spell
.9. . . . : Quicken Spell
.9 Fighter: Point Blank Shot
12. . . . : Dodge
12 Fighter: Improved Single Weapon Fighting
14 Arti . : Improved Critical: Slashing
15. . . . : Greater Single Weapon Fighting
18. . . . : Precise Shot
18 Arti . : Improved Critical: Ranged
21 Epic . : Mental Toughness
24 Epic . : Improved Mental Toughness
26 Destiny: Perfect Single Weapon Fighting
27 Epic . : Epic Mental Toughness
28 Destiny: Holy Strike

LordTigerDawn
08-03-2015, 12:56 PM
I have found dwarf con to dmg with a few fighter lvls for defensive stance to make a better arti for melee. Focus on con only. The arti trees are terrible, so focus on dwarf fighter and Harper for melee power.

I added a few barb lvls last time I did it, and had 900hp at 16, and 1200 at 18. Dps was nice.

unbongwah
08-03-2015, 08:58 PM
As I said before, the problem with Battle Engineer is it's not really a melee (or ranged) DPS PrE; it's mostly a Runearm PrE with a few melee / ranged perks (Weapon Training, Haste Boost or Endless Fusillade, Infused Weapons). Compared to the last few updates, though, it looks pretty weaksauce. You can MC to beef up your melee DPS, but you're sacrificing arty spells and RA DPS in the process.

*shrug* It's doable, but it's almost like you're trying to make a melee DPS build despite being an arty, rather than really benefiting from anything it grants you (apart from Deadly Weapons and RA imbues, ofc)... :rolleyes:

Enderoc
08-03-2015, 09:25 PM
*shrug* It's doable, but it's almost like you're trying to make a melee DPS build despite being an arty, rather than really benefiting from anything it grants you (apart from Deadly Weapons and RA imbues, ofc)... :rolleyes: the Dwarven Axe is considered a hand and a half weapon. You could get tremendous damage from taking the enhancements to empower that weapon as a dwarf arty and have heavy armor prof. On top of that.
It is way more powerful weapon wise than an Eldritch Wizard and rune arms are most effective toe to toe.

unbongwah
08-04-2015, 08:57 AM
It is way more powerful weapon wise than an Eldritch Wizard and rune arms are most effective toe to toe.
That's more of a reflection of how weak EK is than a testament to how strong BE is.

For a SWF build, pure BE grants a max of +9 dmg: 4 pts from Weapon Training, +2 from Infused Weapons, and +4 INT (so +3 dmg mod). Add in the +1[W] from Deadly and we're looking at +14.5 dmg w/d.axes or b.swords. Add in RA imbues for (best case) +2d10 dmg per hit (but doesn't benefit from crits).

The problem is there aren't any crit, doublestrike, or Melee/Ranged Power bonuses in BE. You can pick up to 15 MP/RP from Harper, but that's true of any build; and frankly you would only take T5 Harper if your primary class's T5 is bad.

I've got an alt similar to Fedora1's: dwarf pure arty, using repeaters + SWF w/d.axe. For heroic leveling, it's fine; but by mid-teens I felt weaksauce compared to my pallies, barbs, etc. :( Granted, it may be unfair to compare this build to what the latest FotMs can do, but...well, that's also kinda my point.

Kundarak Artificer
Artificer 20
True Neutral Dwarf

Stats
32pt 34pt 36pt Tome Level Up
---- ---- ---- ---- --------
Strength 8 8 8 +3 4: INT
Dexterity 16 16 16 +5 8: INT
Constitution 16 17 18 +3 12: INT
Intelligence 18 18 18 +3 16: INT
Wisdom 8 8 8 +3 20: INT
Charisma 6 6 6 +3 24: INT
28: INT

Skills
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
------------------------------------------------------------
Concent 4 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 23
Repair 3 1 3 1 4 4 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 23
Spellcr 4 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 23
Disable 4 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 23
Open Lo 4 1 2 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 23
Search 4 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 23
Spot 4 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 23
UMD 4 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 23
Balance 2 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 11
Haggle 1 1 1 1 1 1 2 8
Heal 1 1
Jump 1 1
Move Si 1 1
Swim 1 1
Tumble ½ ½ 1
------------------------------------------------------------
32 8 8 9 9 9 9 10 10 10 10 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 12

Feats

1 : Single Weapon Fighting
3 : Precision
4 Arti : Point Blank Shot
6 : Rapid Shot
8 Arti : Precise Shot
9 : Improved Single Weapon Fighting
12 : Improved Critical: Slashing
12 Arti : Improved Critical: Ranged
15 : Greater Single Weapon Fighting
16 Arti : Improved Precise Shot
18 : Spell Focus: Evocation (or Insightful Reflexes)
20 Arti : Maximize Spell
21 Epic : Overwhelming Critical
24 Epic : Combat Archery
26 Destiny: Perfect Single Weapon Fighting
27 Epic : Ruin
28 Destiny: Doubleshot

Enhancements (80 AP)

Battle Engineer (41 AP)

Battle Engineer, Infused Weapons, Infused Armor, Infused Weapons II, Infused Armor II, Master Engineer

Hand and a Half Training, Thermal Venting III
Hand and a Half Training, Wracking Strike III, Thaumaturgical Conduits III
Hand and a Half Training, Extra Action Boost I, Arcane Capacitors, Intelligence
Hand and a Half Training, Endless Fusilade, Rune Arm Overcharge, Arcane Capacitors, Intelligence
Rune Arm Overcharge, Tactical Mobility

Arcanotechnician (13 AP)

Arcanotechnician, Palliative Admixture, Thaumaturgical Battery

Energy of Creation I, Spell Critical, Wand and Scroll Mastery III
Spell Critical
Spell Critical

Harper Agent (26 AP)

Agent of Good I, Intelligence

Harper Enchantment, Strategic Combat
Versatile Adept III, Know the Angles III
Know Your Foe: Construct, Versatile Adept III, Strategic Combat
Throat Dagger III, Versatile Adept III

Destiny (24 AP)

Legendary Dreadnought

Extra Action Boost III, Constitution
Damage Boost III, Constitution
Critical Damage III, Haste Boost III
<none>
Advancing Blows, Devastating Critical
Master's Blitz, Headman's Chop

Twists of Fate (30 fate points)

Energy Burst: Electricity (Tier 4 Draconic)
Grim Precision (Tier 3 Shadowdancer)
School Specialist: Evocation (Tier 2 Magister)
Rejuvenation Cocoon (Tier 1 Primal)