PDA

View Full Version : Paladin Smite Recharge Rate

End
06-08-2015, 09:43 PM
I love playing my paladin. She's the first character I've really stuck with, has great survivability, good damage, absolutely love the class.

One thing I don't love is the recharge time on my smite. 90 seconds seems like forever in a quest. Granted, I've got the KotC enhancement to add extra smites, but I go through those pretty quickly, and usually run through each charge as it comes up.

So, I thought that, instead of granting extra charges with the enhancement, why not lower the recharge time? Something like 15-20 seconds at each enhancement level, for a total of 30-40 seconds less charge time.

This would shift some of the damage away from burst potential, but would increase the sustained damage that a KotC is able to put out.

What do you guys think?

oradafu
06-08-2015, 10:30 PM
Yes, Smiting takes too long, especially since they are going to nerf Holy Sword again without adjusting anything else offensively for Paladins.

Now there are some items and EDs that are suppose to reduce Smiting for Paladins, but they have never worked, even though the devs repeatedly assure us that they have fixed it where it does work. I think the last thread about this broken mechanism to reduce the cooldown for Smiting is here:

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/460507-Endless-Smiting-Does-the-regen-work-for-you?p=5620449#post5620449

Bloodskittle
06-08-2015, 11:17 PM
Yes, Smiting takes too long, especially since they are going to nerf Holy Sword again without adjusting anything else offensively for Paladins.

Now there are some items and EDs that are suppose to reduce Smiting for Paladins, but they have never worked, even though the devs repeatedly assure us that they have fixed it where it does work. I think the last thread about this broken mechanism to reduce the cooldown for Smiting is here:

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/460507-Endless-Smiting-Does-the-regen-work-for-you?p=5620449#post5620449

Whats the next nerf to holy sword?

oradafu
06-09-2015, 01:32 AM
The Devs have been keeping it vague. From what I gather, it will be so that Holy Sword doesn't stack with Improved Crit.

This is the most detailed we got from the Devs:

Holy Sword will be changing at some point.

Improved Critical will not be changing in the near future, at least not without an outcry from the player base. Although it varies from the pen and paper, and probably wasn't intended to work that way, it's been in place since the earliest days of the game with its current functionality so we are loathe to change it at this point.

Sev~

Getting more details than this has been like pulling teeth, even though there are a few dozen pages of people yelling to nerf harder or not nerf at all.

Shrug. Looks to me like the Devs have burrowed underground after pitching this out. A bit typical from Turbine with a drive-by proposal being tossed out to the wolves and letting players attack one another on the meaning of it while keeping quiet until the controversial change gets pushed out.

TheGuyYouKnow
06-09-2015, 01:40 AM

likely making the crit range not stack with Improved crit, so you will need to roll 1 higher to crit, not terrible really although there are people screaming from the highest dps,survivability,tanking throne that it will break the class and destroy ddo and possibly the rest of existence in the universe

TheGuyYouKnow
06-09-2015, 01:57 AM
i feel smite should be more of a class feature than it currently is, and is the update paladins needed (not reworking holy sword). as it currently stands smite on its own is very bad and not even worth using because it breaks attack chain, exalted smites require quite a large AP investment and are fairly lack luster with the amount of uses they get per quest.

dunklezhan
06-09-2015, 02:15 AM

They haven't said. Don't let that stop you panicking though.

Bloodskittle
06-09-2015, 03:23 AM
The Devs have been keeping it vague. From what I gather, it will be so that Holy Sword doesn't stack with Improved Crit.

This is the most detailed we got from the Devs:

Getting more details than this has been like pulling teeth, even though there are a few dozen pages of people yelling to nerf harder or not nerf at all.

Shrug. Looks to me like the Devs have burrowed underground after pitching this out. A bit typical from Turbine with a drive-by proposal being tossed out to the wolves and letting players attack one another on the meaning of it while keeping quiet until the controversial change gets pushed out.

That'd be really lame considering Paladin is barely holding on in comparable DPS to Barb at the moment as it is.