PDA

View Full Version : account-wide search

cru121
05-29-2015, 12:17 AM
Please please please.
Give us powerful account-wide search.
Just spent two hours searching for a single item.
It does not have to be quick. It does not have to be user friendly.
Make it an expensive purchase, whatever.
Just do it, please!

UurlockYgmeov
05-29-2015, 12:58 AM
Please please please.
Just do it, please!

sorry - but it already exists - paper and pen(cil) or a spreadsheet.

I would love this - but too many technical hurdles to get it done.

Wh070aa
05-29-2015, 01:30 AM
I would love this - but too many technical hurdles to get it done.

You realize, its just access to multiple databases at same time?

Its a tad bit resource intensive, but its not that big of a problem. In worst case make the list client sided, and update each time character opens a bank, or something like that (add update list button to bank data maybe?).

All I want is
1)Get bank and inventory data
2)Put it in a file
3)Add character name to it
4)Possibly add a sort by category, and search by name.
5) Add a GUI to it

That should not be that hard to do, unless they save items in some weird way.

Flavilandile
05-29-2015, 02:42 AM
You realize, its just access to multiple databases at same time?
Its a tad bit resource intensive, but its not that big of a problem.

Depends how bad you want your lag... Heavy or Crippling ?

There's ample proof that the databases are not indexed ( or not indexed the right way ) and that the search queries are semi-borked ( Typical examples : The Quest list that used to be sorted by level and is not anymore.... while taking a lot more time to appears, the completely botched Cannith Crafting lists in the relevant UI that just stay frozen for seconds while the query is run to get the list )

In worst case make the list client sided, and update each time character opens a bank, or something like that (add update list button to bank data maybe?).

No way. Anything stored client side is the best way to open up for exploits.

phillymiket
05-29-2015, 03:04 AM
That would be so nice but I doubt it's possible.
MyDDO didn't even work and that was simpler.

One of the best things about that other D&D MMO that stinks and is getting stinkier by the update is their Gateway where you can see inventory, use the auction house, mailbox etc etc without logging into the game.

Luckily for me I have mules that are named for what gear they hold so I now have a place for everything.
Unfortunately that lasted about a month and my gear is still a big scrambled mess.

cru121
05-29-2015, 05:04 AM
All I want is
1)Get bank and inventory data
2)Put it in a file
3)Add character name to it
4)Possibly add a sort by category, and search by name.
5) Add a GUI to it

That should not be that hard to do, unless they save items in some weird way.

Points 1 to 3 would be completely enough. GUI can be fan-made or excel or whatever.

Jsbeer
05-29-2015, 07:08 AM
No way. Anything stored client side is the best way to open up for exploits.

Store the data of what items we have and have the item searches done client-side but restrict access to such items to the current system.

The item data for each character would be downloaded from the server when you log-off that character (to minimize lag) so this is simply a database with no reconciliation functions - and as there are no changes to the current means of access it won't be any more insecure than the current system.

Uska
05-29-2015, 07:25 AM
Account wide doesn't make sense really, but server might.

Hiponic
05-29-2015, 07:27 AM
So many other things on my list to get fixed or updated before we start adding stuff like that,
It would be nice.. but putting something like that in the state of the game now would cause certain chaos

JOTMON
05-29-2015, 08:17 AM
Please please please.
Just do it, please!

Let me export all my character data by account.

would be handy to be able to take my existing information and slot it into a character planner and also search/sort my inventory independently of having to manually looks stuff up in game.

Jsbeer
05-29-2015, 12:53 PM
Let me export all my character data by account.

would be handy to be able to take my existing information and slot it into a character planner and also search/sort my inventory independently of having to manually looks stuff up in game.

Actually this would be a very neat way to do things. By implementing a system whereby we can export per server a list of all our characters' items to a file, people could then search either manually or using a user-made program for various items. Even better as there would not need to be changes to the internal workings of how items are stored in the code, this would not allow any new types of hacking.