PDA

View Full Version : How to add incentives for vets to group with newbs without gaming the system

AdamSmith
05-27-2015, 12:19 AM
Is it possible.

UurlockYgmeov
05-27-2015, 02:10 AM
don't need to - bad idea to incentivise. Just implement the suggested Guild Management System (see link in sig)

Memnir
05-27-2015, 02:22 AM
Remove Flawless Victory "bonus".
Add a 4% XP bonus for each additional, non-hireling, member of the party after the leader.

Dalsheel
05-27-2015, 02:43 AM
Add a 4% XP bonus for each additional, non-hireling, member of the party after the leader.

it takes 5min to make a dummy account and start dual boxing or triple boxing or...

KomradKillMachine
05-27-2015, 02:45 AM

Best.Suggestion.Ever!

KomradKillMachine
05-27-2015, 03:32 AM
it takes 5min to make a dummy account and start dual boxing or triple boxing or...

Whoever wants to go through the trouble would have to pay for the relevant Packs, Expansions or, at the very least, guest passes.

2 rabits, 1 stone.

The_Human_Cypher
05-27-2015, 04:54 AM

/signed

Kwyjibo
05-27-2015, 07:18 AM
Is it possible.
Those that do, do already, those that don't, more than likely never will.

jalont
05-27-2015, 08:22 AM
You're looking at this the wrong way. You need to remove ways that people use to group with friends. So you have to remove guilds/channels/friend lists.

Enoach
05-27-2015, 09:33 AM
Each person has their own reasons for:

1. Running with specific groups of people
2. Running solo

Some of these reasons are nothing more than for Social Reasons (or Anti-Social as the case may be)
--------------------------------------------------
I agree that what appears to have been Turbines attempt at a Team Bonus with Flawless has contributed in the past to separating out the player base. Personally I would rather see a penalty applied individually when death occurs beyond the 5 stacks of death penalty possible. I wouldn't mind it being something along the lines of 10% XP Penalty of Base.

As hated as the original penalty for death was with the loss of XP after each death, it did have its effect on how people grouped. I'm not advocating going back that far, but with a percent of base penalty even with a cap at 50% or 90% will be reason enough for some players to use the other difficulty settings in game or possibly spend some time putting together a group.

Now don't get me wrong I get my rear handed to me all the time, but I think it would help by getting more people to run different difficulties and also possibly get people to do more LFMs. Now it probably won't drive the hardcore/reason specific solo players to grouping.

JOTMON
05-27-2015, 10:10 AM
Is it possible.

To be honest newbs shouldn't be running with vets.
Newbs should be learning the quests and figuring out how to play their toons solo and with other newbs.
At some point the newbs and Vets will blend, but there is a knowledge/skill factor that develops with playing time.

In my opinion the best way to learn the game is to experience it and figure stuff out, not playing keep-up with an experienced vet.

There is value to the dungeon crawl/flower sniffing as a newb. you learn at your pace, explore entire regions and all optionals, get a understanding of gaming mechanics and mob interactions.

The vets are been there done that 100+ times.. skip lots of stuff and streamline the game that most fast-tracked newbs miss.
The fast track is fine for some new players, but it bolsters the ranks of the inexperienced and weakens the quality of players.. even erodes the confidence of newb players to put up their own LFM's..

As a new player I solo'd many quests repeatedly and did not want to join veteran parties.
any LFM's I did eventually put up were "first timer in quest" or "newb run".. gonna explore...
I wanted to understand the mechanics of the quest, spend an hour figuring out the puzzle.. not have someone do it for me or show me some bypass tricks(that came later or was found on my own).

TrinityTurtle
05-27-2015, 10:37 AM
I Think it's mechanically impossible for Turbine to incentivize vets with new players. How do you quantify a new player? By time alone? That won't account for experienced players with mule accounts. Or even long-term mmo experienced players who have no problem catching on vs. someone who has been playing for ages but never quite gelled with some of the complicated math.

This incentivization has to be done at the player level.

I worked hard to make a userchannel available to people (I shout in game, tell people about it in groups, post on the forum) so that newer players have vets around to ask questions whoever in the world they are, instead of limited by game area advice chat servers.

I post all welcome groups when I'm feeling coherent and social enough to interact with people (the turtle suffers add and some longterm mild social issues) and take anyone who wants to go and try to make sure they have a good time in the group.

The Highlords of Malkier every Saturday night host teaching raids where they gather a few guildmembers who are absolutely solid to ensure support for newbies and explain every detail of what is going on, so the newbies get a completion and an understanding of how to do the raid to do well in groups that just do their thing and don't ever talk about it.

However, we have trouble getting the newbies to take advantage. There is a celebration on the help channel when we get someone legitimately asking questions, and something similar in guild chat when we get raid newbies. From my pugging experience Sarlona has NOT run out of newish players, so I'm not sure what more we can do to help people who dont' want to partake of what is offered.