PDA

View Full Version : Alternative LFM panel

FranOhmsford
05-26-2015, 12:14 AM
You know what:

Many people have given up on the LFM panel entirely!

The Elite rely on Channels and Guilds
Those who regularly run in closed groups don't even need it
Newbies and more casual players simply take one look, see a bunch of E-BBs and go solo.

What DDO needs is an alternative LFM panel where players can basically state that they're willing to join any group that fits their level range and they can enter the quest that day.

The DDOForums can be used for this but we all know incl. the Devs that only a tiny proportion of the population even comes here in the first place.
The LFG Crown is barely used and only shows up on the player not on the Who list.

An Example for the New Panel:

Character - Michael {Chances are if this name was taken that player is long gone so should be safe to use}
Class - Rogue
Level - 17
Current Status - Private {Where Private means he's currently in a quest and Public means he's not}.
ALFM Note - Willing to join any Lvl 15-17 Quest on Normal or Hard except Vale of Twilight which I don't currently have access to.

2nd Example:

Character - Jane
Class - Cleric
Lvl - 28
Current Status - Public
ALFM Note - Willing to open Favour runs - Any Quest.

3rd Example:

Character - Clive
Class - Fighter
Lvl - 1
Current Status - Public
ALFM Note - Looking for Full Group for regular Trinity Gaming - I wish to Tank.

4th Example:

Character - John
Class - Sorc/Paladin
Lvl 11/2
Current Status - Private
ALFM Note - Recruiting for Guildname - Join me for interview and questing to see if we fit.

These ALFMs would stay up until taken down by the Player or that Player goes offline.

This would allow players a place to find like minded players without going off potluck!

Daine
05-26-2015, 02:18 AM
What DDO needs is an alternative LFM panel where players can basically state that they're willing to join any group that fits their level range and they can enter the quest that day.

The LFG Crown is barely used and only shows up on the player not on the Who list.

Already exists.

/lfg and /lfg off

It does appear on the who list, I just tested this using two different accounts. You can see yourself on the list and you can see anyone else on the list. When you are in a party you get the icon of multiple people, when are not in a party yet looking for group you get a single person icon, when you are not in a party and not looking for group, you get no icon.

You can also add a note for others to see, just as you suggested.

You can even sort the who list by this status column.

You can test this with just one account by setting your own lfg status and observing the results in the who list.

This functionality has been around for quite a while, someone with a better memory than me could probably tell you how long.

I suspect most people don't use it on purpose. When I run a group, its always pretty casual, the bare minimum involvement I require is that someone be capable and interested enough in the content that they use the LFG panel see me advertising and decide to join. The LFM is my way of shouting out to the world 'hey, wanna come play this with me?' If someone is sitting about doing nothing, not even monitoring the LFM's for something they may be interested in, then they're not what I want in a group of mine.

That said, I'm happy the functionality exists for those that want to play that way, DDO is about choice after all. :)