PDA

View Full Version : Artificer vs Warlock

Draxis
05-13-2015, 02:27 PM
So the Warlock is looking like it'll be a largely mana-independent arcane glass cannon class. Sound familiar?

Personally speaking my favorite class to play in DDO has been Arti. It's all I've played in some form or another since the class was released. But I'm seriously considering making the shift to Warlock... I just don't see Arties getting their pass anytime soon (Probably not this year) and with each update they just slide further and further back on the power scale.

So what does the community think? Do you think the two class' inherent playstyles will be all that similar? Will you be TR-ing your Arties into Warlocks with me (At least until the Artie pass)?

UurlockYgmeov
05-13-2015, 04:24 PM
whichever one is a halfling, WINS!

Lonnbeimnech
05-13-2015, 06:08 PM
I expect warlock to be some kind of gish sorcerer.

I expect that the no cost invocations will either have longish cooldowns or will actually cost sp, much like sorcerer sla's costing sp despite being innate spell like abilities.

As far as you liking arties, roll up a mechanic rogue and make some traps, 0sp 100dc webs, 0sp time bomb etc.

Arkai
05-14-2015, 06:32 AM
Time shall tell, but yes, artificers seem to remain frozen in time since almost everyone else has got new toys. In the other hand, I'm SO happy with my mechanic now...

About the warlocks, I'm expecting some kind of badass sorcerer and that idea of "arcane glass cannon" looks fine (:

Draxis
05-20-2015, 02:46 PM
Well the preliminary enhancement trees have been posted. Eldritch blast is a mana-less damaging force spell cast on a timer with multiple shapes (projectile, blast, aura) and the added benefit of no saves. Looks like Warlock will be a more powerful form of Artificer, minus the rogue skills, repeater focus and useless pet. And they get three flippin' trees!

So it seems Warlock is my new go-to pew-pew class. RIP my Artificer toons.

jalont
05-20-2015, 02:53 PM
Well the preliminary enhancement trees have been posted. Eldritch blast is a mana-less damaging force spell cast on a timer with multiple shapes (projectile, blast, aura) and the added benefit of no saves. Looks like Warlock will be a more powerful form of Artificer, minus the rogue skills, repeater focus and useless pet. And they get three flippin' trees!

So it seems Warlock is my new go-to pew-pew class. RIP my Artificer toons.

With the change to repeater animations, Arties are in a better place than they've been since EDs came out.

unbongwah
05-20-2015, 03:19 PM
With the change to repeater animations, Arties are in a better place than they've been since EDs came out.
The problem is Arties haven't had a DPS pass yet, so they lag seriously behind Mechanics; and spellcasting in general hasn't really been buffed in ages, so caster arties haven't gotten any better on that score, either.

Arkai
05-20-2015, 03:25 PM

Sure, but their AP trees need some kind of revision imho.

Lonnbeimnech
05-20-2015, 03:28 PM
The problem is Arties haven't had a DPS pass yet, so they lag seriously behind Mechanics; and spellcasting in general hasn't really been buffed in ages, so caster arties haven't gotten any better on that score, either.

Though they still haven't fixed lightning sphere, so they have that going for them.

Jiirix
05-21-2015, 06:43 AM
Warlocks won't have that plink-plink-plink ... plink-plink-plink sound. That's a great bonus right there.

majorhavoc
03-25-2016, 08:27 PM

Having played both for hundreds of lives, (70+ on my Warlock & 50+ on my Artie) the Warlock is WAY better DPS by a huge margin, but the artie makes up for it in flexibility, they can do everything somewhat well but nothing best. I like both but my Warlock is still my primary. with Artie a close second.