PDA

View Full Version : Buying adv packs (need advice)

Gabriel980
05-08-2015, 06:39 PM
Hi,

Sorry to bother. I am still new to the game (lvl 9), but I want to use this weekend 30% discount to buy adventure packs.

So far I have the following (bought with MENACE OF THE UNDERDARK and SHADOWFELL expansions):
- Epic Destinies
- Menace of the Underdark
- Shadowfell Conspiracy
- Eveningstar Challenges
- Phiarlan Carnival
- Attack on Stormreach
- The Path of Inspiration
- The Dreaming Dark

I am an all-time solo player (no guild, no friends). I am thinking of buying:

- Necropolis bundle - 1495
- Ruins of Gianthold - 950
- Temple of Elemental Evil - 650

I would still have almost 2000 TPs to spend (I already have shared bank & needed races/classes). What do you recommend? Some options

- Vale of Twilight - 850
- Delera's Tomb - 850
- Vault of Night - 750
- Three-Barrel Cove - 650
- Red Fens - 350 (low cost, can be included in most combinations)
- ??

What would be your advice?

TIA

EllisDee37
05-08-2015, 06:50 PM

I would still have almost 2000 TPs to spend (I already have shared bank & needed races/classes). What do you recommend? Some options

- Vale of Twilight - 850
- Delera's Tomb - 850
- Vault of Night - 750

What would be your advice?You picked exactly what I would recommend.

If (and only if) you're a crafter, I might consider tossing in Sharn Syndicate for the BTA crafting blanks.

Gabriel980
05-08-2015, 06:53 PM
Txs, EllisDee37, I value very much your advice. Problem is, I don't have the TPs to buy all of them! So I have to pick two of the button list (and include a low-cost pack, if possible).

You picked exactly what I would recommend.

If (and only if) you're a crafter, I might consider tossing in Sharn Syndicate for the BTA crafting blanks.

EllisDee37
05-08-2015, 07:06 PM
How much total TP will you have to spend?

Gabriel980
05-08-2015, 07:14 PM
3.800. So, a bit more than 5.400 before the 30% discount.

How much total TP will you have to spend?

EllisDee37
05-08-2015, 07:40 PM
At 30% off, given what you own and you like to solo, I'm thinking something like:

1047 Necropolis bundle <== best possible value @ 30% off
665 Ruins of Gianthold
525 Vault of Night
455 Three-Barrel Cove
315 Sentinels of Stormreach
245 Red Fens
245 Devil Assault
315 Any 450 or lower pack (or, if you can swing an extra 50, both catacombs & stk)
-----

Lots of soloable content, a nice level spread in heroic, lots of epic content, a couple sagas, and a good selection of epic gear. (Mostly from necro4, admittedly.)

Delera's is very good for voice of the master and carnifex, but 3BC + Sentinels gives way more XP at that level plus a saga, and both offer epic versions. That could go either way, but I leaned toward 3BC+Sentinels for the epic versions. If you exchange those two for Delera's, I wouldn't fault you. (And then I'd take Tangleroot with the final "any 450 or lower pack" for the deathward goggles.)

I haven't run it, but from what I understand ToEE isn't particularly solo-friendly, the xp is bad for the time spent, the loot is almost impossible to farm, and it's the same heroic levels as the Delera's / 3BC+Sentinels decision.

Vale of Twilight isn't particularly good for soloers. It will soon be getting an epic version, though, so you might consider it for that. (Same on both counts for Devils of Shavarath.) If you want to go with either Vale or Shavarath, drop Devil Assault and the last "450 or under" pack.

Speaking of the "450 or under" pack, I would try for Tangleroot (550 on sale for 385) or the combination of catacombs + stk (500 on sale for 350) if you can swing it.

The old-school alternative:

1047 Necropolis bundle <== best possible value @ 30% off
665 Ruins of Gianthold
525 Vault of Night
595 Delera's Tomb
595 Vale of Twlight
385 Tangleroot Gorge
-----

Tangleroot being in there solely for the deathward goggles, which are a huge help for soloers. They are BTA so easily passable between alts.

Nonesuch2008
05-08-2015, 07:54 PM

- Vale of Twilight - 850
- Delera's Tomb - 850
- Vault of Night - 750

My 2 cents, and this is based on where you are now level-wise & what you have to grow into later is this. Since you already have epic destinies lined up, I'd focus on the packs that will let you continue to grow after you hit 20. I've run everything on your list except ToEE, so I can't speak to that one personally. But GH is a very solid pick, as is VoN. Fens would be perfect for you at level now & then give you the epic versions again later on. Slip Vale into your to-buy list here at some point (epic Vale will materialize in the future), and then look at the Necro bundle. Loads of time can be spent there, plus the epic versions of Necro 4 again later. I like 3BC and Delera's as well, and if you were 3 levels lower I'd be pushing them a lot more, but I don't think you'd get as much out of them now as the other packs. 3BC does have epic & a good saga to tie in with some of your other purchases, though.

Buy what makes the most sense to you, and enjoy all the exploring that comes along with it!

Nonesuch2008
05-08-2015, 07:59 PM
Eliis has muddied the waters by adding more packs to the list, but he is very correct. :p

Good sound reasoning all around.

Cardoor
05-08-2015, 08:15 PM
Just based on the fun I have had playing each pack over the years I would rank your optional list like this:

1. Vault of Night
2. Vale of Twilight
3. Red Fens
4. Three-Barrel Cove
5. Delera's Tomb

For honorable unmentioned, Reign of Madness is a fun pack if you like whacky and humpy.

axel15810
05-19-2015, 02:49 PM
Hi,

Sorry to bother. I am still new to the game (lvl 9), but I want to use this weekend 30% discount to buy adventure packs.

So far I have the following (bought with MENACE OF THE UNDERDARK and SHADOWFELL expansions):
- Epic Destinies
- Shadowfell Conspiracy
- Eveningstar Challenges
- Phiarlan Carnival
- Attack on Stormreach
- The Dreaming Dark

- Vale of Twilight - 850
- Delera's Tomb - 850
- Vault of Night - 750
- ??

TIA

I made a very detailed video about this topic recently if you'd like to give it a listen: Adventure Packs - What to Buy (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kceZ0FzxvPA)

Also, you can check out this episode of DDOcast where they talked about adventure packs: DDOCast 370 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRk9yWgHD9Y)

Wh070aa
05-19-2015, 03:42 PM
My recommendations.
1. Vault of Night (XP. Tons of XP. okay fun factor too)
2. Delera's Tomb(+5% xp trinket, lots of undead fun. I like undead, but I am in minority. Great xp.)
3. Necro 4 (necro 1-3 kinda suck. The Shadow Crypt(necro 2) is great xp, but flagging for stuff is freaking pain.). Necro 4 has good items and xp
4. Tangleroot Gorge(deathward gogles, good low level xp, maps do repeat a lot.)
5. Reign of Madness (good xp, ok fun, fills level gap).
6. Red Fens. Easy epics, and has ok items.
7. Gianthood. Okay items,and xp lasts for a while. Grindy as hell, and you need to party to flag for TOR.

Keep away from
Temple of Elemental Evil - drop rates, and Xp suck, and its not fun. + tons of bugs.
Three-Barrel Cove - You spend 30+ minutes running to quest, XP suck, and items suck.
Vale of Twilight - while looks good on paper, if you mainly solo, you are not gonna run raid 20+ times for loot, and quests are extremely annoying (air elementals, complete black screen, protect 9000 npcs, and 3d jump puzzle).

Read
--------------
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/424669
--------------
for reviews (scroll down). Bit spoilery, and outdated(worth items mostly), but you know exactly what you buy. Different play styles have different amount of fun in different packs.

AbyssalMage
05-19-2015, 04:00 PM
Hi,

- Epic Destinies
- Shadowfell Conspiracy
- Eveningstar Challenges
- Phiarlan Carnival
- Attack on Stormreach
- The Dreaming Dark

- Vale of Twilight - 850
- Delera's Tomb - 850
- Vault of Night - 750
- ??

TIA
Necro Bundle and Gianthold are great investments (well Necro IV, but I run Necro 1 & II w/ Necro III getting mixed in on 3rd+ lives).

Stay away from ToEE currently. My feelings may change, but currently, its nearly worthless. I bought it with the 30% discount, thinking that was the "correct" price and even that was overpriced once I stepped inside of it.

Vale of Twilight (VoT), Delera's, 3BC, and Red Fens (helps the level 10 spot and has Epic available) are all nice choices.

Special note about VoT, the main reason to own this pack is for Greensteel, which is obtained in a raid. Because you mostly/always solo, you may remove this from your list. It will be made Epic so that may add value to the pack or may not. Honestly, I just hope Turbine doesn't do a copy/paste (like GH and 3BC from Heroic --> Epic) which is probably exactly what they are working on, even if their public statements have said otherwise.

Maxxcore
05-19-2015, 04:42 PM
Biggest packs to have include: Sands, GH, VoN, Vale (maybe, depends, if you are solo, then maybe not, since no GS), Necro 2/4, 3bc (good for epics).

Low level packs that I like are basically Tangleroot and Deleras. STK/Sharn are not needed. STK gives good low level xp, catacombs is decent as well.