PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for a raid spotlight?

Madja
04-28-2015, 07:41 AM
I've been seeing a lot of posts saying that much of the raiding content is dead, so I was wondering how people would feel about a sort of "Raid Spotlight" being implemented?
Something like the Call to Arms feature for battlegrounds in WoW, if you've played that.

Basically a raid is chosen by Turbine each week. It will then have a bonus for running it during that following weekend. The raids could follow a set schedule or they could be chosen on a week-to-week basis.
It might be better to focus on the non-cap raids, as they aren't run as much, but that would depend on what Turbine and the players feel is best.

I've thought of a few suggestions as to what the bonus could be, but I'd be very interested in hearing what ideas you can come up with.

Double the amount of end-chests:
Simply add a second chest identical to the one that drops the named loot. For raids with named loot in multiple chests (like Shroud, Chronoscope, Tempest Spine etc.) this could be extended to all of those or have it be a chance to spawn an extra chest at every boss.

While the above would be preferred (seeing how it still allows people to give away/trade loot) it might be too difficult to code. So, instead a box (like the Supply Crates in Cannith Challenges) could be awarded. It would have access to the same loot-list as the raid chest, but would to straight to the inventory, removing the need for a chest to be placed in-game.

Add Mysterious Remnants to the end-chest:
If a decent amount of Mysterious Remnants were added to the end-chest people might be interested in running the raid. It would have to be balanced in regards to the length of the quest. I'm thinking something like 50 Remnants for a raid the length of Fall of Truth. This could also be changed to Commendations of Valor/Heroism.

Teleport straight to the raid:
While I don't think this could stand alone as a bonus, it might be an extra incentive to run quests like Vision of Destruction, Hound of Xoriat and the Titan Awakes. These have a lengthy run through explorer areas and often result in players getting lost.

Double completion count:
This idea is simply to have each completion count as two for the sake of the 20th completion end-reward. It might not be desirable to people who TR a lot, but it might still entice a few.

Add a new exclusive Raid Spotlight currency:
A new type of currency which would be awarded on a raid completion. They could be used to either buy an item from any raid (might be a bit too overpowered) or to buy some entirely new items, similar to the Mysterious Remnants.
Each raid completion might award one token and an item might cost 20 tokens - to be consistent with the 20th completion list. (Numbers are just examples - might need tweaking).

Those were the ideas that I've been able to come up with so far. I feel like it wouldn't take much to get people to run them more frequently, just a small bonus would see people putting up LFMs which would then "remind" people that the raids exist.
It could be combined with a stream of a run through the raid on the day before the bonus kicks in. This could be with either Cordovan or some of the non-Turbine streamers.

As to what Turbine gets out of it... They might sell some Raid Timer Bypasses or Adventure Packs.

The_Human_Cypher
05-06-2015, 10:31 PM
Anything to revive the dead raids...this sounds like an interesting idea.

TheGuyYouKnow
05-06-2015, 10:45 PM
fantastic suggestion, i would also say full quest xp for all levels and +50% xp.
only problem i have with your suggestion is double completions with people using raid timer bypasses, perhaps reduce the raid timer to 1 day for that week instead.

General_Gronker
05-07-2015, 07:01 AM
Add Mysterious Remnants to the end-chest: God no. We don't need to encourage them to do even more with something that should never have been added.

Teleport straight to the raid:No. That should already be an option coded in via . . . I don't know, some kind of spell. We could call it "Transport" or "Get There Now" or something.

Double completion count: This one isn't half bad. I can see Shrouds and timers being run like crazy.

Add a new exclusive Raid Spotlight currency: This, OTOH, is a simply awful idea. The last thing the game needs are any more kinds of special currency.

Personally, while I wouldn't object to something like this, I don't see the need. Runs of raids dropping off seems to be the proper life cycle. IMO of course.

Robbenklopper
05-08-2015, 05:31 AM
I've been seeing a lot of posts saying that much of the raiding content is dead, so I was wondering how people would feel about a sort of "Raid Spotlight" being implemented?
Something like the Call to Arms feature for battlegrounds in WoW, if you've played that.

Basically a raid is chosen by Turbine each week. It will then have a bonus for running it during that following weekend. The raids could follow a set schedule or they could be chosen on a week-to-week basis.
It might be better to focus on the non-cap raids, as they aren't run as much, but that would depend on what Turbine and the players feel is best.

I've thought of a few suggestions as to what the bonus could be, but I'd be very interested in hearing what ideas you can come up with.

Double the amount of end-chests:
Simply add a second chest identical to the one that drops the named loot. For raids with named loot in multiple chests (like Shroud, Chronoscope, Tempest Spine etc.) this could be extended to all of those or have it be a chance to spawn an extra chest at every boss.

While the above would be preferred (seeing how it still allows people to give away/trade loot) it might be too difficult to code. So, instead a box (like the Supply Crates in Cannith Challenges) could be awarded. It would have access to the same loot-list as the raid chest, but would to straight to the inventory, removing the need for a chest to be placed in-game.

Add Mysterious Remnants to the end-chest:
If a decent amount of Mysterious Remnants were added to the end-chest people might be interested in running the raid. It would have to be balanced in regards to the length of the quest. I'm thinking something like 50 Remnants for a raid the length of Fall of Truth. This could also be changed to Commendations of Valor/Heroism.

Teleport straight to the raid:
While I don't think this could stand alone as a bonus, it might be an extra incentive to run quests like Vision of Destruction, Hound of Xoriat and the Titan Awakes. These have a lengthy run through explorer areas and often result in players getting lost.

Double completion count:
This idea is simply to have each completion count as two for the sake of the 20th completion end-reward. It might not be desirable to people who TR a lot, but it might still entice a few.

Add a new exclusive Raid Spotlight currency:
A new type of currency which would be awarded on a raid completion. They could be used to either buy an item from any raid (might be a bit too overpowered) or to buy some entirely new items, similar to the Mysterious Remnants.
Each raid completion might award one token and an item might cost 20 tokens - to be consistent with the 20th completion list. (Numbers are just examples - might need tweaking).

Those were the ideas that I've been able to come up with so far. I feel like it wouldn't take much to get people to run them more frequently, just a small bonus would see people putting up LFMs which would then "remind" people that the raids exist.
It could be combined with a stream of a run through the raid on the day before the bonus kicks in. This could be with either Cordovan or some of the non-Turbine streamers.

As to what Turbine gets out of it... They might sell some Raid Timer Bypasses or Adventure Packs.

Question is: Who are you trying to address with it? Either you like it and run it or not.All the newbies and anyway-likers run the raids anyway.
A majority of People who are missed in those raids are the zergers, powergamers and high-end runners who don´t get a Thing out of that. With your above things you won´t lure them out from behind the stove.

Only Thing that could work is double XP with first-time Bonus.

Questdoer
05-10-2015, 10:08 AM
I like this... but let me give a suggestion.
One raid is spotlighted every day on a constantly repeating cycle.
While a raid is spotlighted there will be a teleporter to that raid in the hall of heroes.
Everyone who completes the raid will be given a BtA item that gives them a free Gold Chest roll in the daily dice.
This special reward can only be gotten once per account, per raid spotlight. (To prevent abuse)

LuKaSu
05-10-2015, 01:03 PM
I like this... but let me give a suggestion.
One raid is spotlighted every day on a constantly repeating cycle.
While a raid is spotlighted there will be a teleporter to that raid in the hall of heroes.
Everyone who completes the raid will be given a BtA item that gives them a free Gold Chest roll in the daily dice.
This special reward can only be gotten once per account, per raid spotlight. (To prevent abuse)

I REALLY like this variation on the theme.

Madja
05-11-2015, 06:17 AM
Question is: Who are you trying to address with it? Either you like it and run it or not.All the newbies and anyway-likers run the raids anyway.
A majority of People who are missed in those raids are the zergers, powergamers and high-end runners who don´t get a Thing out of that. With your above things you won´t lure them out from behind the stove.

Only Thing that could work is double XP with first-time Bonus.

I agree it won't affect the people who only run stuff for XP, but there's still a lot of desirable loot to be had for TRs, so I imagine that powergamers might still get something out of it.

Even if there are a lot of people who enjoy the raids it's still very rare to see anyone wanting to run them. A LFM can take hours to fill depending on the raid. Most of the time you simply have to short-man it.
Some people hate the walk to VoD/HoX/LoB/MA. Some hate the drop-rates, especially in CitW. Others hate the pre-raid for Titan/DQ. Finding "gogglers" for AC can be extremely difficult.
I feel like if there was an added incentive and a spotlight saying "Hey, remember this raid?" people might be willing to look past the annoyances and run the raid.

If it was combined with a community stream, which taught the basics, it might also encourage the less experienced players to give it a go. Though I don't know how many watch the streams.

Also, thanks for the feedback everyone :) I agree that some of the suggestions might be more OP than others. The general idea is mostly to offer a base on which we can develop on. Things like balancing and ease-of-implementing would ultimately be in Turbines hands.

Ayseifn
05-11-2015, 06:29 AM
Some sort of incentive to run those older raids would be cool, problem is most would be steam rolled by level 28s now so the novelty would wear off pretty quick and it'd feel like a new grind. They'd need to be challenging for people to keep interest and I doubt upping them all to challenge a group of level 28's is on the cards anytime soon, it'd be sweet if it was but I doubt it with how long it take Turbine to rehash old packs for epic.

Madja
05-11-2015, 11:18 AM
Depending on which bonus is chosen that might be prevented by requiring you to be at level to be eligible for the bonus, like with Bravery Streak. Granted, this would reduce the amount of players able to benefit from it, but if it's a set schedule then people will know in advance what level is required. It's not a perfect solution but maybe it isn't all bad to have level 28's steamrolling it. Anyone running the raids is better than no one in my opinion :)

I don't feel like it'll take much to get people to run raids a bit more. To me it seems like there's a very small increase in people willing to run Cannith Challenges when the ingredience bonus is on. Just as an example.