PDA

View Full Version : Melee FS w/ Trapping, rough draft

Plantman81
04-27-2015, 11:02 PM
My planner(rjcyberware) does not have the updated enhancements, so those are missing except for the 1st couple of levels. Concept of the build is a self-healing melee that can do traps. The spell casting is both for some CC and to boost damage output. The exact allocation of skills is still in flux. As I said in the title, this is a rough draft. Unless someone knows of a way to use wis for wpn bonuses besides the few named wpns that have it, I plan on using the Harper tree extensively, including int to att/dmg. There will, also, be a heavy investment in the War Priest tree (ameliorating strike rocks). The fighter level gives an extra, valuable feat and the tier one Kensai tree adds some nice touches, too. I plan on making some tweaks, but I value constructive advice. Thanks for reading.

Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 04.23.01
DDO Character Planner Home Page

Zaydr Melee FS
Level 20 Lawful Good Human Male
(1 Fighter / 2 Rogue / 17 Favored Soul)
Hit Points: 243
Spell Points: 1462

BAB: 14/14/19/24
Fortitude: 14
Reflex: 17
Will: 17

Starting Feat/Enhancement
Abilities Base Stats Modified Stats
(36 Point) (Level 1) (Level 20)
Strength 12 15
Dexterity 14 17
Constitution 12 15
Intelligence 13 18
Wisdom 17 25
Charisma 12 15

Tomes Used
+1 Tome of Strength used at level 3
+1 Tome of Dexterity used at level 3
+1 Tome of Constitution used at level 3
+1 Tome of Intelligence used at level 3
+1 Tome of Wisdom used at level 3
+1 Tome of Charisma used at level 3
+2 Tome of Strength used at level 7
+2 Tome of Dexterity used at level 7
+2 Tome of Constitution used at level 7
+2 Tome of Intelligence used at level 7
+2 Tome of Wisdom used at level 7
+2 Tome of Charisma used at level 7
+3 Tome of Strength used at level 11
+3 Tome of Dexterity used at level 11
+3 Tome of Constitution used at level 11
+3 Tome of Intelligence used at level 11
+3 Tome of Wisdom used at level 11
+3 Tome of Charisma used at level 11
+4 Tome of Intelligence used at level 15
+5 Tome of Intelligence used at level 19

Starting Ending Feat/Enhancement
Base Skills Base Skills Modified Skills
Skills (Level 1) (Level 20) (Level 20)
Balance 6 7 7
Bluff 3 4 4
Concentration 1 15 15
Diplomacy 1 2 2
Disable Device 5 24 24
Haggle 1 2 2
Heal 3 17 17
Hide 2 3 3
Intimidate 1 2 2
Jump 5 6 6
Listen 3 7 8
Move Silently 6 7 7
Open Lock 6 14 14
Perform 2 3 3
Repair 1 4 4
Search 5 24 25
Spellcraft 1 13 13
Spot 7 15 16
Swim 1 2 2
Tumble 6 7 7
Use Magic Device 5 7 7

Level 1 (Rogue)
Feat: (Selected) Dodge
Feat: (Human Bonus) Insightful Reflexes
Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Favored Soul
Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Sorcerer
Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Wizard
Enhancement: Human - Human Versatility: Skill Boost (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Human - Awareness (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Human - Improved Recovery (Rank 1)

Level 2 (Favored Soul)
Feat: (Deity) Follower of the Sovereign Host
Enhancement: Warpriest (Fvs) - Smite Foe (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Warpriest (Fvs) - Toughness (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Warpriest (Fvs) - Righteous Weapons (Rank 1)

Level 3 (Favored Soul)
Feat: (Selected) Past Life: Arcane Initiate

Level 4 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Power Attack

Level 5 (Favored Soul)

Level 6 (Rogue)
Feat: (Selected) Two Weapon Fighting

Level 7 (Favored Soul)

Level 8 (Favored Soul)
Feat: (Favored Soul Bonus) Energy Resistance: Fire

Level 9 (Favored Soul)
Feat: (Selected) Heighten Spell

Level 10 (Favored Soul)

Level 11 (Favored Soul)

Level 12 (Favored Soul)
Feat: (Selected) Cleave

Level 13 (Favored Soul)
Feat: (Favored Soul Bonus) Energy Resistance: Acid

Level 14 (Favored Soul)

Level 15 (Favored Soul)
Feat: (Selected) Improved Two Weapon Fighting

Level 16 (Favored Soul)

Level 17 (Favored Soul)

Level 18 (Favored Soul)
Feat: (Favored Soul Bonus) Energy Resistance: Electricity
Feat: (Selected) Spell Focus: Evocation

Level 19 (Favored Soul)

Level 20 (Favored Soul)

Gear is obviously not included here, but I have access to a lot of named gear. If I don't have it, I can farm it. My main, also, is lvl 150 in all 3 Cannith crafting schools.

Enderoc
04-27-2015, 11:06 PM
How high will you be able to tweak your disable device/search all geared out and buffed?

Enderoc
04-27-2015, 11:13 PM
You should be okay on traps, just seen it is level 20 not 28. I would ditch cleave for quicken though. Serious. If you can take it early it will clear up some skill points in concentration...not to mention its way more bomb than cleave for a caster even and especially as a melee caster.

tsteigner
04-28-2015, 02:11 AM
My planner(rjcyberware) does not have the updated enhancements, so those are missing except for the 1st couple of levels. Concept of the build is a self-healing melee that can do traps. The spell casting is both for some CC and to boost damage output. The exact allocation of skills is still in flux. As I said in the title, this is a rough draft. Unless someone knows of a way to use wis for wpn bonuses besides the few named wpns that have it, I plan on using the Harper tree extensively, including int to att/dmg. There will, also, be a heavy investment in the War Priest tree (ameliorating strike rocks). The fighter level gives an extra, valuable feat and the tier one Kensai tree adds some nice touches, too. I plan on making some tweaks, but I value constructive advice. Thanks for reading.

[HTML]Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 04.23.01
DDO Character Planner Home Page

Zaydr Melee FS
Level 20 Lawful Good Human Male
(1 Fighter / 2 Rogue / 17 Favored Soul)
Hit Points: 243
Spell Points: 1462

Starting Feat/Enhancement
Abilities Base Stats Modified Stats
(36 Point) (Level 1) (Level 20)
Strength 12 15
Dexterity 14 17
Constitution 12 15
Intelligence 13 18
Wisdom 17 25
Charisma 12 15

Gear is obviously not included here, but I have access to a lot of named gear. If I don't have it, I can farm it. My main, also, is lvl 150 in all 3 Cannith crafting schools.

couple of things which i think are sub-optimal
since your going the melee way you spent way too much in wisdom (most of the spells, you typically use as a melee Soul don't require a DC ... e.g. Divine Punishment, Searing Light .... BB will also work with just 1/2 dmg)
Feat-wise i would get rid of Heighter + Arcane Iniitiate as well as Dodge and get Maximize, Empower + Quicken (max, emp to impr. your spell dmg + you don't everwant to Play a FvS without quicken ....), Heighten, Arcane Ini are only good choices for casting souls; also insightful Reflexes is a wash imho , your givining up 1 feat for a measly +1 to saves in a feat-starved class ..... also your missing the most important feat as a melee Soul which is impr. Critical (Slashing if you use swords)

Stat-Wise i would go with wis 8, Chr 14-15, int 13 should be good enough for trappings at least in the heroic lvls ..... i personaly would goi for str for hit + dmg and invest more into the warpriest tree then in the harper tree (str also means you can add your chr - Bonus to str via Divine Might from the warpriest tree, second tree to invest in would be Angle of Vengeance (you want at least the +% to spell crits as well as the summon Archon ability)

i would aim for the following starting stats :
Str : 16 + all lvl - ups in here
Dex : 13
Con : 14
Int : 13
Wis : 8
Chr : 16

class-wise i would go for : 15 FvS / 2 Rogue / 3 Paladin which lets you add your chr-Bonus to all of your saves, and lvl 16/ 17 fvS doesn't realy give you anything besides wings that is so important to give up that much of a saves boost
get SD 2nd core for higher prr / mrr to incr. your survivability even more (works even in light armor)
if you got the AP to spare, you might also take Cleave from the KotC tree and save another feat in your lvl - order

Kriogen
04-28-2015, 06:40 AM
Level 1 (Rogue)
Feat: (Selected) Dodge
Feat: (Human Bonus) Insightful Reflexes

You'll not get much from just Dodge. Even less from Insightful Reflexes as your INT is not much higher then your DEX. This are 2 feats that are wasted. No need for Fighter then to get extra feat.

You can now go Rogue2/FvS18 and take Haste at War Priest 18 core or Rogue3/FvS17 for more skill points.

voodoogroves
04-28-2015, 11:20 AM
You either need to worry about DCs, or not. If you're pushing them high, you won't have INT enough to bother w/ the difference between that and DEX. If you're going to use Harper, USE IT. Also, if you wanted to go INT based, embrace the laser and the fact that many things in heroic get chewed apart by your bladebarriers regardless of their DCs.

STR is easier to boost so you'll want a race that uses INT - half-elf, human or one of the elves - you picked a decent one. Drow and Sun Elf wouldn't be bad either.

You might consider SWF and/or Shield Mastery instead of TWF - it helps w/ your attributes.

Really, you're feat-constrained - so work from that. You will need Quicken, Maximize, Empower Healing to be minimally useful as an FVS. After that, you've only got 4 open feats.

Plantman81
04-30-2015, 02:55 AM
How high will you be able to tweak your disable device/search all geared out and buffed?

Running a 1rogue/2 monk/15 (on way to 17) FS. Currently disabling traps on a roll of 1 with gear and GH. Actually got a critical success on a roll of 1 with my skill boost active. lol Skill points for this build are similar to the one posted. I was trying to increase DPS while maintaining some CC. The CC has worked fairly well so far. I doubt this would hold up in EE, but no plans to take this build far into epics, maybe lvl 21 or 22 at most. It's been very survivable, just takes a while to kill things, hence the original post in this thread.

Plantman81
04-30-2015, 03:09 AM
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I've got some things to consider now for the tweaked draft.