PDA

View Full Version : Sorcerer Question: EE Viable?

polymath
04-23-2015, 05:40 PM
Hey guys,

I have played mainly melee oriented builds for the entire five years I have been playing DDO. My brother is looking to do one last reincarnation to a palemaster and I was considering doing a caster life with him. I have played builds for EE effectiveness like: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/458025-U25-Cetus-Barbarian-with-Manyshot

I suppose I do have a couple of questions. First off, how do sorcerers fair DPS wise in end game EE content? Are they comparable to the type of build linked above? Considering a duo situation with a palemaster who has access to all sorts of goodies, would you recommend a sorcerer to compliment him?

Also, while I am no pro, I do enjoy those top 1% type builds that really push the envelope. I am curious to hear your thoughts, thanks!

In other words, how does a well build sorcerer compare in DPS to current top builds like well builds barbs, pallies and bards?

UurlockYgmeov
04-23-2015, 05:45 PM
EE Pure Sorc (or 18 sorc 2 pali) in sharadi ---- spamming m.missiles...

jalont
04-23-2015, 05:48 PM
Hey guys,

I have played mainly melee oriented builds for the entire five years I have been playing DDO. My brother is looking to do one last reincarnation to a palemaster and I was considering doing a caster life with him. I have played builds for EE effectiveness like: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/458025-U25-Cetus-Barbarian-with-Manyshot

I suppose I do have a couple of questions. First off, how do sorcerers fair DPS wise in end game EE content? Are they comparable to the type of build linked above? Considering a duo situation with a palemaster who has access to all sorts of goodies, would you recommend a sorcerer to compliment him?

Also, while I am no pro, I do enjoy those top 1% type builds that really push the envelope. I am curious to hear your thoughts, thanks!

This is hard to answer. DDO is so easy that everything is EE viable. At the same time, you enjoy "top 1%" builds, which tells me you've likely always played with an easy button. Actually playing EE as it was supposed to be played could be a new experience for you, and I'm not sure a sorc is a good learning build.

polymath
04-23-2015, 05:51 PM
This is hard to answer. DDO is so easy that everything is EE viable. At the same time, you enjoy "top 1%" builds, which tells me you've likely always played with an easy button. Actually playing EE as it was supposed to be played could be a new experience for you, and I'm not sure a sorc is a good learning build.

Well I do enjoy a challenge. I like seeing extra effort rewarded with more effectiveness.

Enoach
04-23-2015, 06:33 PM
One of the things to look at is Spell Point conservation. Utilizing low SP but high contact points like MM and the ilk. Also knowing when to meta and when to fall back on SLAs and unmeta'd spells to do more damage just over a longer period of time.

silinteresting
04-23-2015, 06:39 PM
Well I do enjoy a challenge. I like seeing extra effort rewarded with more effectiveness.

if i was you i would run a pure human draconic sorc. excellent damage
but a tad squishy.

just make sure your enchantment or your friends is good
and then mass hold everything and burst it to death.

your friend sil :)

Eth
04-24-2015, 02:47 AM
Sorcerers (or arcanes in genereal) are one of the most fun classes.

It's a lot about positioning, SP management (which boils down to quest knowledge mostly) and which spell to use against what (know which mob has which saves high/low and what spells work against them accordingly).

Unless you play in shiradi, where you only need a couple spells that work against everything equally good (you just need to know about elemental immunities in that case).

Currently melees are the powerhouses in DDO, having the most DPS that doesn't require management like SP do.
That doesn't mean arcanes are terribly bad though.
I still prefer my sorc over my barb. Stuff in general is just a lot easier with the barb, but also gets boring more quickly.

I would say there are better builds to compliment a palemaster (they lack DPS mostly) but a sorc isn't bad for that.

polymath
04-24-2015, 11:09 AM
Sorcerers (or arcanes in genereal) are one of the most fun classes.

It's a lot about positioning, SP management (which boils down to quest knowledge mostly) and which spell to use against what (know which mob has which saves high/low and what spells work against them accordingly).

Unless you play in shiradi, where you only need a couple spells that work against everything equally good (you just need to know about elemental immunities in that case).

Currently melees are the powerhouses in DDO, having the most DPS that doesn't require management like SP do.
That doesn't mean arcanes are terribly bad though.
I still prefer my sorc over my barb. Stuff in general is just a lot easier with the barb, but also gets boring more quickly.

I would say there are better builds to compliment a palemaster (they lack DPS mostly) but a sorc isn't bad for that.

Which class would you suggest to go with a palemaster?

Wizza
04-24-2015, 01:50 PM

20 Barbarian

Eth
04-25-2015, 06:59 AM

Generally something that draws the aggro off the wizard and has DPS to take down the red named HP bags, because that's where wizards struggle the most.
Paladin or Barb are best for that currently, but nothing wrong with sorc either, you can make any build EE viable.

Singular
04-25-2015, 09:02 AM

I run a pure air savant in Shiradi and I mainly rely upon aoe damage, not just magic missile. It is crazy fun to play in EE b/c of the Wind Dance - like wings, you get to zoom around. It also owned heroic but then, probably anything does now.

Anyways, I have no problem soloing EE content and contributing to parties in EE.