PDA

View Full Version : Ghallanda Unavailable - Thursday, April 16th

Cordovan
04-16-2015, 09:58 AM
UPDATE: Ghallanda has reopened. Thank you for your patience, and we'll see you in the game!

Ghallanda is currently unavailable. We are investigating, and will provide more information soon.

Ambitious
04-16-2015, 10:11 AM
Ghallanda is currently unavailable. We are investigating, and will provide more information soon.

Jerry, I know this is not your fault. You are just the poor sod who has to deal with enraged customers.

But seriously... How many times? 4? 5? More?

What I know it's the 2nd time the server crashed after you (Turbine) shut Ghallanda down to 'fix' this issue.

And all we hear from Turbine is 'we're investigating' and later 'thanks for the patience'.

Honestly, I am out of patience. Most of Ghallanda is. And that you keep on 'investigating' makes me angry. This happens every other day. You had plenty of time to investigate and fix.

If you guys can't make it happen, the very least I expect is an explanation.

http://isger.de/DDO/proud-member-of-the-angry-mob.jpg

Seikojin
04-16-2015, 10:22 AM
Jerry, I know this is not your fault. You are just the poor sod who has to deal with enraged customers.

But seriously... How many times? 4? 5? More?

What I know it's the 2nd time the server crashed after you (Turbine) shut Ghallanda down to 'fix' this issue.

And all we hear from Turbine is 'we're investigating' and later 'thanks for the patience'.

Honestly, I am out of patience. Most of Ghallanda is. And that you keep on 'investigating' makes me angry. This happens every other day. You had plenty of time to investigate and fix.

What does facebook and twitter say?

ToastyFred
04-16-2015, 10:23 AM

If someone on Ghallanda has found a way to crash the server intentionally, you definitely WON'T get an explanation.

Mightymagic
04-16-2015, 10:23 AM

I'm from Korea. Ghallanda crashed every night in Korean peak time. How long will this investigation last? and Should I expect server down by this time tomorrow?

ToastyFred
04-16-2015, 10:25 AM
What does facebook and twitter say?

Nothing. You have to look at them!!

:D

stinkyfish
04-16-2015, 10:27 AM
While its completely understandable that this happens every now and again, but this has been happening more and more and now its on a daily basis.
I'm sure I'm not the only one who has happened to be online and IN a Quest when these crashes happen and lost time spent questing only to have to start all over again. I'm also sure you can understand our disappointment in having to replace items used in the quest ie. spell pots, cakes, and so on. While these items and time spent may seem inconsequential to you, they mean a lot to me and other players. I firmly believe we are due some sort of compensation for loss of time, items, and xp lost during the multiple down times and crashes. Again I completely understand you guys are doing everything you can to get our server up and running and keep it running, but I think you can also understand and I think I can speak for everyone here... we G-land may feel we deserve some sort of compensation for the multiple inconveniences to our server for the multiple crashes, extended down times, items and time.lost. Lets be honest the G-land server has crashed almost if not every day for over a week.
Nope I'm not mad just disappointed my favorite game is under the weather and I hope you guys can get this fixed in a timely fashion.
I also hope you will consider compensation for the G-land server.

cheers

mightstriker
04-16-2015, 10:31 AM
Vague assurances the problem has been fixed. Nearly daily outages. "Thank you for your patience." Time and again the same thing.

The support for WB games will be open from 2pm to 6pm EST weekdays. Please, if you are upset by these issues, let's give them a call and let them know we don't appreciate being treated like this! 855-924-2637, press #5 for DDO. If you are an international player, there are forum instructions on how to contact customer relations.

I am certainly going to call and voice my disapproval of the way this ONGOING issue is being handled. We deserve to have more information about the actual cause of this problem. The player base deserves to be compensated in some fashion for our server having yet another ongoing issue. Remember last year when there were periods where it said the server was full and we couldn't log on? That went on for weeks with the same vague assurances the problem was fixed, the issue was being investigated, etc...

Many people pay good money to play this game. This is shameful, and is demonstrating a very profound lack of respect to the folks that have supported your game with hard earned cash.

Cordovan
04-16-2015, 10:36 AM
We do appreciate the frustration our Ghallandans have faced in recent days, and are working diligently to address this issue. We are investigating today's crash, and will continue to do so after the world has reopened.

arminius
04-16-2015, 10:39 AM
Stuff happens. I fully understand. And I hadn't thought of the potential for this being player or otherwise outside-initiated, that is a scary thought.

But if, you know, there was say, another week of bonus xp for Ghallanda only, I wouldn't be too proud to turn it down.

Saitiss
04-16-2015, 10:41 AM
IS this have to do with the thousands of Shadow dragon scales in SE atm ? :D

Dragavon
04-16-2015, 10:43 AM
I'm from Korea. Ghallanda crashed every night in Korean peak time. How long will this investigation last? and Should I expect server down by this time tomorrow?

45 minutes and yes.

Jaenar
04-16-2015, 10:50 AM
Ghallanda Unavailable - Thursday, April 16th

Ghallanda unavailable - Wednesday, April 15

Server Restart - Ghallanda - 1:00 PM- 2:00 PM Eastern (-4 GMT) Monday, April 13th

G-Land Crashed Again (4-11-15) Afternoon.

G-Land Crashed again (4-09-15) Morning.

G-Land Crashed again (4-08-15) Nighttime.

5 Crashes and 1 restart, seems like there has been more than enough investigation done on this issue, maybe its time to actually fix the problem.

xaul17
04-16-2015, 10:59 AM
We do appreciate the frustration our Ghallandans have faced in recent days, and are working diligently to address this issue. We are investigating today's crash, and will continue to do so after the world has reopened.

Something odd about the statement "we appreciate the frustration". Thanks everyone for being angry!!

Lol on a more serious note, it means that ppl care about DDO :-) Hope you reopen G-Land soon!

UurlockYgmeov
04-16-2015, 11:25 AM
Ghallanda Unavailable - Thursday, April 16th

Ghallanda unavailable - Wednesday, April 15

Server Restart - Ghallanda - 1:00 PM- 2:00 PM Eastern (-4 GMT) Monday, April 13th

G-Land Crashed Again (4-11-15) Afternoon.

G-Land Crashed again (4-09-15) Morning.

G-Land Crashed again (4-08-15) Nighttime.

5 Crashes and 1 restart, seems like there has been more than enough investigation done on this issue, maybe its time to actually fix the problem.

Kobold exhausted ... so much impish roguery and cavorting tomfoolery has tired Kobold out...

moriedhel
04-16-2015, 11:25 AM
I don't think even Khyber had it this bad last winter =p Wonder if anyone transferred from there to Gland (and paid money for it). I would be at my wits end haha. Poor Ghallanda, oh the irony etc:

House Ghallanda bears the Mark of Hospitality. This mark grants various magical benefits that allow its bearers control over food and shelter, giving Ghallanda an advantage in all areas related to hospitality.

capnbd
04-16-2015, 11:26 AM

Maybe you could offer free transfers off this unstable semi-ghost town of a server? That would address the issue quite effectively.

jalont
04-16-2015, 11:28 AM
Maybe you could offer free transfers off this unstable semi-ghost town of a server? That would address the issue quite effectively.

If you think Ghallanda is a ghost town compared to other servers, I have some bad news for you.

Dandonk
04-16-2015, 11:29 AM
This is getting old fast.

capnbd
04-16-2015, 11:33 AM
If you think Ghallanda is a ghost town compared to other servers, I have some bad news for you.

Well I think you can call nearly every server a ghost town, so I wasn't exactly exaggerating, but I was comparing it to Sarlona which is where a bunch of friends of mine switched to when they started playing again and does seem to be a bit more active than Ghallanda.

Would be nice if they did some server merges though, god knows the game could use it. Maybe they're too prideful for server merges though.

Hobgoblin
04-16-2015, 11:35 AM
Well I think you can call nearly every server a ghost town, so I wasn't exactly exaggerating, but I was comparing it to Sarlona which is where a bunch of friends of mine switched to when they started playing again and does seem to be a bit more active than Ghallanda.

Would be nice if they did some server merges though, god knows the game could use it. Maybe they're too prideful for server merges though.

not about pride.

its about the bottom line.

if they can make more money by doing merges, they will. if they make more money by leaving it the way it is, they will

Jefro
04-16-2015, 11:38 AM
Maybe it from too many G-landers in temple of elemental evil, and the mobs causing the server to go down >_>

Cordovan
04-16-2015, 11:41 AM
Ghallanda has reopened. Thank you for your patience, and we'll see you in the game!

Deadlock
04-16-2015, 11:42 AM
Maybe it from too many G-landers in temple of elemental evil, and the mobs causing the server to go down >_>

You know that's not the craziest thing I've heard today :)

R1ncewind
04-16-2015, 11:55 AM
We could use a more detail explanation.. this just feel weird..

mudfud
04-16-2015, 12:03 PM
Ghallanda has reopened. Thank you for your patience, and we'll see you in the game!

Is this just a hotfix until the next break or was something more permanent done to make sure the server remains stable? I don't play Ghallanda but was concerned in case this becomes contagious.

stinkyfish
04-16-2015, 12:10 PM
UPDATE: Ghallanda has reopened. Thank you for your patience, and we'll see you in the game!

Great , glad its back up !! :) I have a few questions if you have the time to answer them that would be awesome :)

Have measures been put in place to stop Ghallanda from crashing again? or is it still a mystery as to why it crashing?

Ghallanda has crashed over 5 times in the last 10 days. I'm genuinely interested in how many times the server has to go down for Ghallanda residents to be compensated for time and resources lost? (not counting restarts)

cheers

brzytki
04-16-2015, 12:12 PM
So, is it a trend now? Daily G-land crashes?

It's been more than a week, i'd guess you guys had plenty of time to fix the issue. And i notice there is no "believe that this issue should now be resolved" bit this time, so i suppose we should expect another crash tomorrow, right?

Flavilandile
04-16-2015, 12:51 PM

Ghost Town in DDO, Definition : A Server where you can form a raid party with ALL the players currently logged in.

Former Europeans knows that, that's how Keeper and Devourer were towards the end.

Relevant picture : ( Keeper at peak time, for a GM Server Screenshot Event, the whole server is on the picture )
http://www.spellswords.com/images/6Years/Photo2.jpg

G-Land is far from that.

As for the Issue resolving... If it's somebody crashing the server... until (s)he tracked down Keeper will keep crashing...

Cordovan can you tell us if it's a hardware issue ( or a database one ) or something else ?

Brendael
04-16-2015, 01:14 PM
From yesterday :

We've been looking into stability issues on Ghallanda in recent days, and believe that this issue should now be resolved.

Maybe they should just Mabar G'Land and admit that they lack the techical ability to fix it and move everyone to Sarlona or something.

Seikojin
04-16-2015, 01:33 PM
Great , glad its back up !! :) I have a few questions if you have the time to answer them that would be awesome :)

Have measures been put in place to stop Ghallanda from crashing again? or is it still a mystery as to why it crashing?

Ghallanda has crashed over 5 times in the last 10 days. I'm genuinely interested in how many times the server has to go down for Ghallanda residents to be compensated for time and resources lost? (not counting restarts)

cheers

So, is it a trend now? Daily G-land crashes?

It's been more than a week, i'd guess you guys had plenty of time to fix the issue. And i notice there is no "believe that this issue should now be resolved" bit this time, so i suppose we should expect another crash tomorrow, right?

From yesterday :

Maybe they should just Mabar G'Land and admit that they lack the techical ability to fix it and move everyone to Sarlona or something.

None of this will help stabilize the server or its availability. And it will also deter any meaningful response. Mainly because you are setting expectations in your request and when it isn't met in some time frame, more rage and frustration is poured out. When it boils down to some issue is blocking the use of G-land, file a ticket and do something else. play a different server. Play a different game. Go spend time in the real.

There are only a few things anyone can openly say about downtime or unexpected issues without consent and editing. So if there isn't something here, on facebook, or twitter, then it is something they can't talk about yet. But when they can, they will. As they have in the past. All this when they are also rushing to make up for lost time on the last updates release (due to weather).

I am glad I am not an employee for turbine or wb, because I can post this and be an advocate for their hard work.

Razor_Wit
04-16-2015, 02:27 PM

I could never leave Ghallanda. No way. No how. Not happenin'.

stinkyfish
04-16-2015, 03:14 PM
None of this will help stabilize the server or its availability. And it will also deter any meaningful response. Mainly because you are setting expectations in your request and when it isn't met in some time frame, more rage and frustration is poured out. When it boils down to some issue is blocking the use of G-land, file a ticket and do something else. play a different server. Play a different game. Go spend time in the real.

There are only a few things anyone can openly say about downtime or unexpected issues without consent and editing. So if there isn't something here, on facebook, or twitter, then it is something they can't talk about yet. But when they can, they will. As they have in the past. All this when they are also rushing to make up for lost time on the last updates release (due to weather).

I am glad I am not an employee for turbine or wb, because I can post this and be an advocate for their hard work.

Seikojin, I respectfully disagree. I don't believe the questions I've posed are unfair in any way for a game I pay for, and no disrespect was intended.
I fully understand the server crashing happens and applaud their hard work to reopen them.

Cleanincubus
04-16-2015, 03:32 PM

I disagree with part of your statement. Yes, they likely don't have consent to comment on specifics. However, if they cared enough to please their customers, they could put more pressure on whomever they need that consent from. As customers, who are paying money to keep them employed, keeping the game existing to make money, and keeping the company open to make money & employ people, we deserve actual answers. That's the very least they can do for us. Not the same old "it's being looked into" or "it should be fixed now," only to have it happen the very next day.

I can't think of any instances off the top of my head where they've been upfront with information like this before. Perhaps I'm mistaken. It'd certainly be nice if they started now though, to counteract the negative reactions to their customer service, and lack of transparency with the community. But really...they only lost a week or 2 of time due to weather, if that. Regardless, these aren't even the same people who lost that 1 or 2 weeks. Their not the Devs who create the content. If it was a programming/Development issue, it'd be effecting all servers, rather than just one. Seems far more likely that it's failing hardware or networking issues that are going on.

I don't think anyone is arguing that the employees aren't busting their humps trying to get this, and all, issues resolved as quickly as possible. Clearly they are.

the1bigun
04-17-2015, 05:04 AM

Almost got it...............................................
And there is goes again!

Saitiss
04-17-2015, 05:08 AM
OK... now...

3 hours of full TOEE 1 And 2 exploration just gone... Now i'm ****ed. Game crashed on last node exploration...

Fedsa
04-17-2015, 05:12 AM
11 am GMt on the dot it went down.. its not some cleaning lady issue I hope....

Alunjax123
04-17-2015, 06:07 AM
Between work, running a household and sleeping, it is nice to play DDO on Ghallanda, but this avenue of relaxation is now increasingly being closed off to me. I might just dig out Pathfinder rules and go back to playing proper roleplaying, with dice and figures and paper. I would save money buying a service that I can't access. Whoopee - you get it running again after I've gone to sleep and it's down again when I am work. On the half day I don't work in the week, it's down again. ARGHHHHHH!!!!! as for the drop rate of EPIC rusty mushrooms and the 5k astral shards some joker is asking for 345 of them - blimey!

Alunjax123
04-17-2015, 06:09 AM
will air week be extended, to take into account the total time the server is down?

tisto
04-17-2015, 06:21 AM
Only one rules: WE PAY, WE WANT PLAY!

Play with lag is horrible.
Pay and don't play is stupid: or DDO thinks we are stupid or we are really stupid becase we pay for nothing.

Now DDO has to solve.
NO stupid patch!
NO stupid fix!
NO stupid pet!
NO stupid missions (DDO can't create something without create more problems)!

BUY new servers!
BUY new lines!

Don't spend our money to create new problem!
Spend our money to allow us to play... and probably we continue to pay you, otherwise we will have to ask our money back!

So, now, solve the problem.
Stop do stupid and unnecessary update that become more unstable the game.
Do ALL the necessary to solve the problem.

We can't continue to be stupid for you, DDO.

Ambitious
04-17-2015, 06:21 AM
will air week be extended, to take into account the total time the server is down?

It certainly will not be extended. They don't extend fire week (xp bonus) for us in spite of the many many server crashes during that week.
So don't get your hopes up. The time the server is down is just lost to us. They don't care.

Librarian2501
04-17-2015, 06:41 AM
OK, i just wanted to have a nice littel play before. Just a hour of fun. But what? Ghallanda is CLOSED! What the frag is THIS all about? What is going on? And will there be any kind of compensation for a week full of crashes, lags, restarts und closed server? I hope so! Because the other worlds are all up! Seriously, what is going on? Any info please?

Fedsa
04-17-2015, 06:44 AM
Yes, good morning DDO- whats the story?

Markvar
04-17-2015, 06:57 AM
Woot. another crash. This is so getting old Cord, whats the word please?

Respectfully of course.

Saitiss
04-17-2015, 07:04 AM
Almost 2 hours down. No official message, nothing...

Brandall
04-17-2015, 07:15 AM
Almost 2 hours down. No official message, nothing...

8:15 EST im guessing the team that can handle this is just starting their day at work, would expect something shortly

PoingdeFeu
04-17-2015, 07:26 AM
Ghallanda has reopened

I think I saw this somewhere before...
Yeah.

Thank you for your patience

Meh.
Does "patience" here means "You just wait while we do nothing because we don't care?", my english isn't perfect, so I'm not sure.

Ghallanda is currently unavailable

Again.
That's have been a daily occurence for what, a week already?
New feature on DDO today :
after the daily dice rool,
after the daily first quest xp bonus,
here's for you a brand new feature : the daily 2 hours crash !

Only avaiable on Ghallanda; don't wait and come join us !

We are investigating, and will provide more information soon.

I feel this is coming next.
But well.
Where are the "information" for the first, and all the crash onward; huh?
Again, I might not understand english well...
Does "we will provide information soon" here means "You can still scratch your ass with a kobold kebab while waiting; lol" ?

I'm so noob.

Trully...
I LOVE this game, but seriously, does the server are in Ouzb├ękistan, linked with 56k modems on internet, and watched by a band of monkeys, or is it just me?

At last, as a player who spend WAY much more than this game deserve, I DO think I deserve at last some honesty, and I rather read "We actually don't know dafuk we are doing" rather than this "Thanks for nothing, the problem is solved" bull-shat.

Thanks for reading me.

Flavilandile
04-17-2015, 07:36 AM
Does "we will provide information soon" here means "You can still scratch your ass with a kobold kebab while waiting; lol" ?

If it's somebody doing it on purpose, even the kobold kebab won't be enough... you will never get information.

By now any hardware related crash should have been clearly identified as such. ( even if the exact failing component has not been pinpointed )

Cordovan
04-17-2015, 07:38 AM
Ghallanda should reopen shortly. We apologize for this morning's downtime.

the1bigun
04-17-2015, 07:41 AM

Im not too ****ed about a day's downtime, but constantaly day after day. Please let us know whats wrong or admit you don't know so we can arrange server transfers please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cordovan
04-17-2015, 07:43 AM
Ghallanda has reopened! We will be continuing to work today to identify and resolve the issue impacting the world.

Nuryam
04-17-2015, 07:44 AM

Thanks and good luck. We will do our end and try to crash it again while people are in office ;)

tisto
04-17-2015, 07:46 AM

NO! WE DON'T ACCPET YOUR APOLOGIZE!
WE WANT A REFOUND FOR THE INCOMPETENCE OF DDO-STAFF!

We pay. We want to play. We have to play.

Ambitious
04-17-2015, 07:51 AM

I really believe that being polite and starting a conversation is the way to solve problems.

But seeing that you clearly couldn't care less about our frustration, anger, complaints... What am I supposed to say now? What am I supposed to do now?

You're not only not doing your jobs, you've made a very clear statement by not making any statements:

YOU. JUST. DON'T. CARE.

This game is so much fun. It is great. But you guys are not. I can't even begin to say how much disappointed I am with you. And I should stop now before I write something that gets me banned.

Seriously Turbine.
Seriously.

Cordovan
04-17-2015, 07:55 AM
I really believe that being polite and starting a conversation is the way to solve problems.

But seeing that you clearly couldn't care less about our frustration, anger, complaints... What am I supposed to say now? What am I supposed to do now?

You're not only not doing your jobs, you've made a very clear statement by not making any statements:

YOU. JUST. DON'T. CARE.

This game is so much fun. It is great. But you guys are not. I can't even begin to say how much disappointed I am with you. And I should stop now before I write something that gets me banned.

Seriously Turbine.
Seriously.

We do care. We're working to resolve it, and do apologize for the frustrating week on Ghallanda.

MadCookieQueen
04-17-2015, 07:57 AM
At this point, I'm thinking it should be time to bring back The Angry Mob.

Seriously...did PETA walk in and release all the hamsters again? I think you guys might need better security, perhaps if you line the doors with bacon they won't touch the server area and the hamsters can be free to run.

Just a thought ^^

jalont
04-17-2015, 08:00 AM

You're supposed to be an adult and get over it. The DDO staff are not your friends or family. They do not need to care about you. They only need to fix the problem. Whispering sweet nothings into your ear won't fix anything.

MadCookieQueen
04-17-2015, 08:05 AM
NO! WE DON'T ACCPET YOUR APOLOGIZE!
WE WANT A REFOUND FOR THE INCOMPETENCE OF DDO-STAFF!

We pay. We want to play. We have to play.

Here's the deal:

Monthly cycle 30 days
VIP subscription $15.00 per month

Per Day cost you are spending: $0.50

Let's say you also buy Turbine Points, perhaps you spend maybe an extra $20.00 a month
In a 30 day month cycle that's a $1.50 per day

So you are spending roughly $2.00 per day which is roughly $0.08 (rounded down) an hour.

Total downtime, let's figure has been 10 hours. So $0.80.

So that's your refund...would you like that via PayPal, cashiers check or perhaps a Turbine Point?

I think(key word, ymmv) it's silly to demand money back because of this.

However, I will agree that we should have gotten an extra Fire Week XP bonus day out of the deal.

Loholt-UK
04-17-2015, 08:15 AM

So that's your refund...would you like that via PayPal, cashiers check or perhaps a Turbine Point?

A cashier's cheque would be fine thanks. When can I expect it?

MadCookieQueen
04-17-2015, 08:23 AM
A cashier's cheque would be fine thanks. When can I expect it?

Standard processing time is 4-6 weeks.

kain741
04-17-2015, 08:42 AM
Here's the deal:

Monthly cycle 30 days
VIP subscription $15.00 per month

Per Day cost you are spending: $0.50

Let's say you also buy Turbine Points, perhaps you spend maybe an extra $20.00 a month
In a 30 day month cycle that's a $1.50 per day

So you are spending roughly $2.00 per day which is roughly $0.08 (rounded down) an hour.

I think(key word, ymmv) it's silly to demand money back because of this.

However, I will agree that we should have gotten an extra Fire Week XP bonus day out of the deal.

Ok, so you are logged on 24/7 and that calculation works just fine for you. But when someone pays for a subscription to fit their schedule they want access when they can get on. If someone is constantly getting a "down" during their normal play time they would calculate their refund much differently. Don't think because something applies to you one way that it must apply to all players that way. If the game is up all day while I'm at work that doesn't do a thing for me when I get home and it's down...

arminius
04-17-2015, 08:55 AM
I noticed that on Ghallanda at least the 20% + 5% XP bonus is in effect, which was supposed to end Thursday morning. Was that in effect yesterday? Or is this a compensation?

MadCookieQueen
04-17-2015, 08:57 AM
Ok, so you are logged on 24/7 and that calculation works just fine for you. But when someone pays for a subscription to fit their schedule they want access when they can get on. If someone is constantly getting a "down" during their normal play time they would calculate their refund much differently. Don't think because something applies to you one way that it must apply to all players that way. If the game is up all day while I'm at work that doesn't do a thing for me when I get home and it's down...

Actively you pay for an on demand subscription, so at any given time if you play longer or shorter, it's still a flat rate per day (much akin to having Netflix). You can't argue around that. The subscription runs 24/7 and you can't adjust it to turn off when you are not playing. This would create a variable pay scale, and no subscription based service offers that.

So yes, it's a flat rate of $0.50 per day or $0.02 (rounded down) per hour. You cannot shut this off. This is your base rate no matter what.

Also to note if you were spending an extra $20.00 every month for Turbine Points, those points are always there, whether you log in to use them or not. That got calculated as a bonus, but I'm not thinking that many people spend an extra $20.00 every month on the game. I could be wrong, but figured it had a place to be added in there.

What you are discussing is purely emotional, and honestly, there isn't a dollar amount that can be placed on your emotions about this.

However when people are crying they want their money back, it might feel like they should get eleventy billion dollars, but the math doesn't work out that way. If Turbine seriously offered a refund for the amount of time lost, what model would they use for it?

Dandonk
04-17-2015, 09:10 AM
I noticed that on Ghallanda at least the 20% + 5% XP bonus is in effect, which was supposed to end Thursday morning. Was that in effect yesterday? Or is this a compensation?

You just had to mention it....

arminius
04-17-2015, 09:10 AM
You just had to mention it....

Frak! Are you kidding me, they just took it down. Did they honestly forget, and then killed it when I mentioned it? What a way to run a railroad.

Dandonk
04-17-2015, 09:14 AM
Frak! Are you kidding me, they just took it down. Did they honestly forget, and then killed it when I mentioned it? What a way to run a railroad.

Hehehe :)

Monkey-Boy
04-17-2015, 09:27 AM
[QUOTE=MadCookieQueen;5590274]At this point, I'm thinking it should be time to bring back The Angry Mob.

/[QUOTE]

The angry mob never went away.

MadCookieQueen
04-17-2015, 09:29 AM
At this point, I'm thinking it should be time to bring back The Angry Mob.

The angry mob never went away.

and bless their little hearts for it ^^

Loholt-UK
04-17-2015, 09:54 AM
However when people are crying they want their money back, it might feel like they should get eleventy billion dollars, but the math doesn't work out that way. If Turbine seriously offered a refund for the amount of time lost, what model would they use for it?

How about this: Whenever the server goes down my account timer stops running, so instead of charging me on the 14th May, charge me on the 15th. The benefits for everyone are obvious; I'm not paying for something I'm not getting; Turbine aren't getting anything for something they're not giving; Turbine would have an added incentive to keep the servers up and running as downtime would equal a direct loss of revenue.

This sounds fair to me.

Seikojin
04-17-2015, 10:07 AM
When I was pay to play, I did nothing for months at a time. Didn't even log in. After going free to play, the same thing happens every now and again.

This is similar to the world doesn't stop moving because you are hurt. You can play other games, log into other servers, do something away from keyboard. No one has to play on one server or at all. If you feel you have to, then you have an addiction and need help.

If the devs aren't saying why the world keeps going down, it is safe to assume they either don't know, or can't tell the public. In 24 hours, they know everything they can know about a problem. So if it lasts more than 24, they don't know or they can't tell you. It is a fact from the industry. Complaining about not knowing and hating it won't change anything. Seriously.

Pehtis
04-17-2015, 10:24 AM
When I logged in on Ghallanda What earlier today just before the server went down was that the latency thingy was mostly yellow instead of the usual green. This caused intermittent freezing and lag of course. I initially thought it was my modem or something, until I opened different websites, YouTube videos, played LoL online for a bit, so I guess everything was fine. Switched off DDO and reloaded client into G land, same issue. Reboot computer (just in case) and G land server down. Chose Argo and played an alt that was there and game was perfectly fine.

Anyone else have similar experience before the server collapse?

Hobgoblin
04-17-2015, 10:45 AM
You're supposed to be an adult and get over it. The DDO staff are not your friends or family. They do not need to care about you. They only need to fix the problem. Whispering sweet nothings into your ear won't fix anything.

everything i want to say to this would get me banned........

Lemme try this instead

So if I go somewhere and have my car valet parked and they wreck it, I should get over it?

So If my bank has a server error and puts my 1 million dollars in debt I should get over it?

We are not asking for much, just some communication.

Sheesh. and to think I got an infraction for being half as abrasive

/shakes head, walks off

hob

MadCookieQueen
04-17-2015, 10:53 AM
How about this: Whenever the server goes down my account timer stops running, so instead of charging me on the 14th May, charge me on the 15th. The benefits for everyone are obvious; I'm not paying for something I'm not getting; Turbine aren't getting anything for something they're not giving; Turbine would have an added incentive to keep the servers up and running as downtime would equal a direct loss of revenue.

This sounds fair to me.

what you're asking for is way too large of a project. What it would cost to put in a new auto-renew subscription service that only calculates based on serve availability would be massive.

Questions to consider:

Also what about the people on Sarlona that aren't going through this? Should they also get an automatic billing change because G-Land is messed up? People on Wayfinder if Cannith is messed up?
How does it apply?
Whats' the cut off? 10 hours of downtime = a day? 24 hours = a day would make more sense but when do the calculations start?
What if it runs with your billing cycle? My billing cycle could be different form yours, so if a blackout hits, repeatedly I may only have 3 hours on one cycle, it changes and then it's only another 3 hours on the next, i've missed 6 hours in the same week but the billing cycle won't calculate that into the new one because not enough time has passed.
What about people that budget around firm dates for payments and whatnot? How does this help them?
Does it matter if I get billed the same amount on May 14th or the 15th, either way the money is still coming out.
If you break it down to the hour, what you're saving a quarter but costing Turbine thousands of dollars to calculate that and not to mention, how long would a project of this scale take?

I get what you're asking for but in no way does it make fiscal sense.

Loholt-UK
04-17-2015, 11:03 AM
When I was pay to play, I did nothing for months at a time. Didn't even log in. After going free to play, the same thing happens every now and again.

This is similar to the world doesn't stop moving because you are hurt. You can play other games, log into other servers, do something away from keyboard. No one has to play on one server or at all. If you feel you have to, then you have an addiction and need help.

I have been online for every downtime we have had so far, what you do or did when you had a sub has absolutely no relevance to what I pay for. I have toons on Ghallanda that I have played for years and none on any other server but your advice is play on another server or admit my addiction? I don't pay a subscription for any other games, just this one and that's tentative at the moment due to these issues.

The world doesn't stop moving because you are hurt? A trite comment and factually inaccurate in this instance as the world did stop moving and that's the issue.

Loholt-UK
04-17-2015, 11:20 AM
what you're asking for is way too large of a project. What it would cost to put in a new auto-renew subscription service that only calculates based on serve availability would be massive.

Questions to consider:

Also what about the people on Sarlona that aren't going through this? Should they also get an automatic billing change because G-Land is messed up? People on Wayfinder if Cannith is messed up?
How does it apply?
Whats' the cut off? 10 hours of downtime = a day? 24 hours = a day would make more sense but when do the calculations start?
What if it runs with your billing cycle? My billing cycle could be different form yours, so if a blackout hits, repeatedly I may only have 3 hours on one cycle, it changes and then it's only another 3 hours on the next, i've missed 6 hours in the same week but the billing cycle won't calculate that into the new one because not enough time has passed.
What about people that budget around firm dates for payments and whatnot? How does this help them?
Does it matter if I get billed the same amount on May 14th or the 15th, either way the money is still coming out.
If you break it down to the hour, what you're saving a quarter but costing Turbine thousands of dollars to calculate that and not to mention, how long would a project of this scale take?

I get what you're asking for but in no way does it make fiscal sense.

What about the people on Sarlona? They aren't affected. This issue is easily overcome by simply asking you to register a preferred server on your account page. If that server is affected then your account timer stops. It's not a "massive project", it's quite a small project and once implemented would cost very little to maintain. I've been involved in many many IT projects that weren't that dissimilar to what I have proposed here. Billing is already an automated process, it already has a timer, all it needs is a few tweaks and this could easily be a reality.

What about people who budget on absolute dates for payments? They'll still make sure the money is in their account on (in this example) the 14th - it will still be there on the 15th, it isn't going to evaporate.

And if it costs thousands of dollars, who cares? WB can afford it, they has a revenue of $12 billion in 2013.

Seikojin
04-17-2015, 11:25 AM
I have been online for every downtime we have had so far, what you do or did when you had a sub has absolutely no relevance to what I pay for. I have toons on Ghallanda that I have played for years and none on any other server but your advice is play on another server or admit my addiction? I don't pay a subscription for any other games, just this one and that's tentative at the moment due to these issues.

The world doesn't stop moving because you are hurt? A trite comment and factually inaccurate in this instance as the world did stop moving and that's the issue.

Sarlona didn't stop because G-land went down. You can still log into the authentication server when g-land is down. So the ddo world did not stop because one facet was closed. That is what I meant. So factually factual fact is factually accurate. :D

My advice is to play on a different server if you feel soo compelled to play ddo that you must logon and do something (since you are basing this need off of paying for the service). The addiction comes in when you say you must play. No one is forced to play. That is a choice. If an individual feels they have no choice, that is part of an addiction: by definition.

If you as a person feel that your downtime is enough to cancel your subscription, that is your choice. I would hope that after the server is stabilized that paying subscribers are contacted for reimbursement of some kind. And that does usually happen. It has happened for less.

Maybe get a ticket with CS started so when things are good you can get your wasted time back. Not to sound rude, but it seems you feel with gland down that the sub time you aren't using is wasted, right?

Loholt-UK
04-17-2015, 11:37 AM
Not to sound rude, but it seems you feel with gland down that the sub time you aren't using is wasted, right?

The sub time I'm not using is wasted and that's not an issue. The sub time I tried to use and couldn't because it was down is the issue and as I have already stated, I was online every time the server went down over the last week.

mudfud
04-17-2015, 12:35 PM
That's some loyalty to Ghallanda you all have. If this was me and the server went down this many times over the past 15 days with no valid explanation I would have moved to another server by now to keep my addition.
I wonder how many more downtimes it will take for any of you or most of you to move. It's a sign from the Almighty Hamster that she wants you to play elsewhere!

MadCookieQueen
04-17-2015, 12:43 PM
And if it costs thousands of dollars, who cares? WB can afford it, they has a revenue of $12 billion in 2013.

Well I'm happy for WB...but somehow I don't' think they are going to hand over thousands of dollars to Turbine to give people $0.25 for server downtime. If WB was THAT generous with the money, why does DDO keep suffering? Where are the developers? The new servers? The big advertising budget dollars?

You think that if WB isn't going to hand over thousands of dollars to improve equipment and staff, do you honestly believe they will hand over thousands of dollars to give people a quarter?

Just how do you think they will recoup that cost? Just kiss it good-bye? If you think so, I have a bridge and it's for sale, price reasonable.

kain741
04-17-2015, 01:25 PM
Actively you pay for an on demand subscription, so at any given time if you play longer or shorter, it's still a flat rate per day (much akin to having Netflix). You can't argue around that. The subscription runs 24/7 and you can't adjust it to turn off when you are not playing. This would create a variable pay scale, and no subscription based service offers that.

So yes, it's a flat rate of $0.50 per day or $0.02 (rounded down) per hour. You cannot shut this off. This is your base rate no matter what.

Also to note if you were spending an extra $20.00 every month for Turbine Points, those points are always there, whether you log in to use them or not. That got calculated as a bonus, but I'm not thinking that many people spend an extra $20.00 every month on the game. I could be wrong, but figured it had a place to be added in there.

What you are discussing is purely emotional, and honestly, there isn't a dollar amount that can be placed on your emotions about this.

Actually, I'm not emotional about this. I have not been affected as much as many have and you do not even know that I'm not a subscriber. My argument is that your computation based on 24 hours a day which no one plays is not viable to everyone. Some people do not play on a given day because of the server being down...or maybe some see it's down and don't feel like waiting around. Your calculation cannot predict the impact it will have on a given person but is simply a flat rate. Perhaps it has cut my play time in half this week; if that's the case I can argue I want half my fee. Just because you can do a simple calculation does not mean you can argue with no error that your method is correct. We can all plug and chug numbers.
There are other methods beyond refunds to fix the problem as well. In the past due to issue outside of the player base's control they have extended subscriptions by the number of days they were affected. To me this seems like a solution that may work without sending out the pennies you say they can calculate. This would give that person an extension by the relative time they could have been inconvenienced. I think giving those VIP accounts on G-Land a week extension and reapplying the xp bonus that many missed would be a fair compensation.

mudfud
04-17-2015, 01:53 PM
I think giving those VIP accounts on G-Land a week extension and reapplying the xp bonus that many missed would be a fair compensation.

Why? You agreed to the ToS of the game. They even have a part about downtime in it.
If they give Ghallanda they need to give everyone compensation. I never play Ghallanda and yet, I have 1 character on atleast every server. How do you distinguish between regular players and such.

Nascoe
04-17-2015, 02:52 PM
I just got the message "Server is going down for maintainance in 15 minutes" ... yes, Ghallanda going down again :-(

kain741
04-17-2015, 03:25 PM
Why? You agreed to the ToS of the game. They even have a part about downtime in it.
If they give Ghallanda they need to give everyone compensation. I never play Ghallanda and yet, I have 1 character on atleast every server. How do you distinguish between regular players and such.

Why? Maybe because those that have wanted to play and use their paid for services have not been able to...
Even if it is in the ToS, there is a reasonable expectation that one would be able to play in exchange for their fees paid.

mudfud
04-17-2015, 04:42 PM
Why? Maybe because those that have wanted to play and use their paid for services have not been able to...
Even if it is in the ToS, there is a reasonable expectation that one would be able to play in exchange for their fees paid.

By agreeing to the ToS where downtime is concerned the only reasonable expectation is for people who agreed to it, to agree they might lose money during downtime and not be compensated.
You agreed to it, I did, and all the others who log into the game. If you or me or anyone else had a problem with it, we wouldn't be playing.

capnbd
04-17-2015, 04:49 PM

Are you slow? The ToS only has to do with Turbine taking action against your account, or protecting Turbine from you taking legal actions related to your account.

Compensation for people affected by the repeated interruption of service is just good business practice to make sure your customers remain your customers.

mudfud
04-17-2015, 04:59 PM
Are you slow? The ToS only has to do with Turbine taking action against your account, or protecting Turbine from you taking legal actions related to your account.

Compensation for people affected by the repeated interruption of service is just good business practice to make sure your customers remain your customers.

Attacking me won't change the ToS. It has interruption of service in there and also has how Turbine can do what they want regarding that service with regards to us getting no compensation. I'm sorry you play on Ghallanda and are upset. My suggestion is move to a different server that doesn't go down 10+ times in 15 days and maybe you would feel less bitter some of us are playing the game.
Don't blame me for you agreeing to something without reading it and understanding it fully.

capnbd
04-17-2015, 05:12 PM
Attacking me won't change the ToS. It has interruption of service in there and also has how Turbine can do what they want regarding that service with regards to us getting no compensation. I'm sorry you play on Ghallanda and are upset. My suggestion is move to a different server that doesn't go down 10+ times in 15 days and maybe you would feel less bitter some of us are playing the game.
Don't blame me for you agreeing to something without reading it and understanding it fully.

So you are indeed slow? At no point did anyone say, or even imply, that Turbine has any sort of legal obligation to provide compensation to people affected by the Ghallanda server outages. We're simply saying it would be sound business practice for Turbine to provide some sort of compensation to the residents of Ghallanda, even if it was something as simple as a server specific xp boost or something. The idea being to keep unhappy costumers from turning into unhappy former customers.

Since you seem to need direct examples to get the idea, I just subbed a week or so ago, so I'll be around for a couple months regardless. If, however, my sub period was ending in the near future, the Ghallanda outages would have me very seriously considering whether I wanted to keep playing. So for the sake of customer retention, yes, Turbine should be considering compensation to Ghallanda players.

mudfud
04-17-2015, 06:37 PM
So you are indeed slow? At no point did anyone say, or even imply, that Turbine has any sort of legal obligation to provide compensation to people affected by the Ghallanda server outages. We're simply saying it would be sound business practice for Turbine to provide some sort of compensation to the residents of Ghallanda, even if it was something as simple as a server specific xp boost or something. The idea being to keep unhappy costumers from turning into unhappy former customers.

Since you seem to need direct examples to get the idea, I just subbed a week or so ago, so I'll be around for a couple months regardless. If, however, my sub period was ending in the near future, the Ghallanda outages would have me very seriously considering whether I wanted to keep playing. So for the sake of customer retention, yes, Turbine should be considering compensation to Ghallanda players.

And now you are putting words into my mouth. Never once did I say that either. All I pointed out was Turbine has to give nothing, Players expect nothing as part of an agreement we all made when we signed up for the game.
Now if they decide to give something, hurray for the players, but never expect it like a few others HAVE in this thread and other ghallanda down whining threads.