PDA

View Full Version : new player looking for guidance.

Sindrax
04-14-2015, 08:01 AM
Hello everyone. I recently discovered this game and have quickly become addicted to it. I have done some reading on the forums and on Wikipedia. I settled on a build I think will work for me. I usually tend to solo as a dps melee type,but do enjoy grouping if/when in a guild.I have started characters on several servers none above level 4. Sarlona, Khyber, orien, and agronessen. I'm basically looking for someone to show me the ropes and answer noob questions. I play from 4pm-10pm Mon-fri and all times on the weekends edt. Hope to meet a few of you in game.

marinerfan
04-14-2015, 09:04 AM
I'm not sure about other servers, but on Sarlona there is a great help channel for asking "noob questions" :) I've been playing ddo for a few years and still find their advice very helpful. To join the channel, all you need to do is type "/joinchannel help" without the quotations. Then, whenever you have a question, type "/1" (again without quotes) before your question to type it in the help channel.

Cordovan
04-14-2015, 10:04 AM
Thank you Sindrax for checking out DDO, and we hope you have a great time here.

yhelm123
04-14-2015, 10:29 AM
It may not help you right away, but here (http://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/232811-50-DDO-Tips-and-Tricks-you-may-not-know-about?) is my favorite "tips and tricks" thread to help you out later. A lot of this will make more sense once you have played a bit more and learn where things are in Stormreach.

Also, the DDO wiki (http://ddowiki.com) has a lot of great guides, but know it's full of spoilers.

Good luck, and welcome to the game!

Robai
04-14-2015, 10:40 AM
When you are on Orien then:
/joinchannel Titan
(usually 30-60 players there, they will answer your questions)

Seikojin
04-14-2015, 10:57 AM
Welcome to DDO! If you look in the dev tracker, there will be a comment from Cordovan on the character builder lite thread. One of the players made a planning tool. Actually two exist. There is the character planner by Ron. However the Planner is outdated and the builder lite is fresh and new. Those are useful for planning your build and future for your character.

Also you may wish to download and install the lamannia client. From time to time there are previews of upcoming content on there, so you can try before you buy as it were. Also you can provide feedback and help shape the outcome of upcoming content.

UurlockYgmeov
04-14-2015, 01:26 PM
Welcome to DDO! If you look in the dev tracker, there will be a comment from Cordovan on the character builder lite thread. One of the players made a planning tool. Actually two exist. There is the character planner by Ron. However the Planner is outdated and the builder lite is fresh and new. Those are useful for planning your build and future for your character.

Also you may wish to download and install the lamannia client. From time to time there are previews of upcoming content on there, so you can try before you buy as it were. Also you can provide feedback and help shape the outcome of upcoming content.

Welcome to DDO!

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/455712-Character-Builder-Lite

have fun storming the castles! and beware of Kobolds!

dunklezhan
04-14-2015, 01:54 PM
This is also very good for new players:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0qZarj5ZxA

Livmo
04-14-2015, 02:03 PM
Hello everyone. I recently discovered this game and have quickly become addicted to it. I have done some reading on the forums and on Wikipedia. I settled on a build I think will work for me. I usually tend to solo as a dps melee type,but do enjoy grouping if/when in a guild.I have started characters on several servers none above level 4. Sarlona, Khyber, orien, and agronessen. I'm basically looking for someone to show me the ropes and answer noob questions. I play from 4pm-10pm Mon-fri and all times on the weekends edt. Hope to meet a few of you in game.

If you ever have questions on Sarlona let me know, /tell Livmo. I 2nd or 3rd the recomendation to join the Help channel on Sarlona. Lots of nice folks willing to answer questions and help out. Also, if I don;t type back right away I might be running for my life or in a boss fight, but will respond after I'm safe and/or full of loot :)

If you get up to level 5+ and would like to run the new Temple of Elemental Evil (ToEE) on Sarlona let me know. I've got a small handful of 1st lifers ready to roll.

Sindrax
04-14-2015, 02:53 PM
Thank you all for the links and advice.I must say this is really a pleasant forum community,it's nice to see for a change.

Sebastrd
04-14-2015, 04:29 PM

PM sent

Gabrael
04-14-2015, 05:07 PM
Hello there, if you pass by Orien, I'm a daily player that just love helping out newbies. Even created a bunch of artificer parked at various levels (1,4,8,12,16,20,24) to be of help to anyone no matter their lvl.

main toon name and guild leader is Gabraell, feel free to send him any mail in-game for question or requests. in your looking to party when i'm online, I'm currently a lot playing on "Aeqvitas" so I,m more usually easy to reach there nowadays.

also shameless self-plug but if you are a soloer who jump around servers, and want no guild obligation you can park a toon in my guild to reap ship buffs. My guild main goal is simply to provide best ship buffs (got all the buff rooms) at people who have trouble fitting in other guild requirements. Wich make it perfect for Soloers, Foreigners (they are free to speak their laguage in guild chat and invite friends), people seeking strong buffs, people who want no guild obligations, people who hate random guild invite, or just want buff while they search a guild to theyr liking. You get the picture. Of course after at least a year with no log-in, you might get the boot.

I also tend to help people get gear they need, sometime through normally paid content. Cannith Challenge stuff is real good.

LongshotBro
04-15-2015, 04:09 AM
Welcome to DDO!

You may wander into other MMOs but once DDO gets in you, it's there to stay.

i can't speak for other servers, but as several people have mentioned, on Sarlona we're quite nice and helpful.

Feel free to send a message to Schir or Experimenta and i'll be happy to help how i can.

Also, check out the server forums - they all have a sub-forum for guilds and there's a healthy variety so i'm sure you can find one that fits your style. Not too long ago, i joined up with this one https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/216033-Our-guild-chugs-a-6-Pack-of-Awesomesauce!

Great group of people, very active and incredibly helpful and cooperative.

See you in game!

zorander6
04-15-2015, 11:22 AM
I don't play on Sarlona much any longer but PM me your character's class and I'll swing some gear and plat your way. If you pop onto Cannith you can also send falconsbane a message. I usually play there on weekends when dawife doesn't have other plans.

SisAmethyst
04-15-2015, 01:38 PM
A good resource for players is the ddo-wiki (http://ddowiki.com/), and while not up to date anymore if you solo a lot, check out the threads of MrCow like Diaries of a TR (Melee) (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/237895-Diaries-of-a-True-Reincarnate-(Melee)), Diaries of a TR (Druid) (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/381780-Diaries-of-a-True-Reincarnate-(Druid)), Diaries of a TR (Sorcerer) (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/364299-Diaries-of-a-True-Reincarnate-(Sorcerer)).

Grace_ana
04-15-2015, 08:46 PM
I play on Khyber and all of my toons are listed in my sig. I don't think I have anyone that low level right now to play with you until I TR again, but if you have questions or need gear drop me a line. I'm most often on Graceana, so if you decide to send mail that's who you should send it to.

Jsbeer
04-16-2015, 07:14 AM
Hello there, if you pass by Orien, I'm a daily player that just love helping out newbies. Even created a bunch of artificer parked at various levels (1,4,8,12,16,20,24) to be of help to anyone no matter their lvl.

main toon name and guild leader is Gabraell, feel free to send him any mail in-game for question or requests. in your looking to party when i'm online, I'm currently a lot playing on "Aeqvitas" so I,m more usually easy to reach there nowadays.

also shameless self-plug but if you are a soloer who jump around servers, and want no guild obligation you can park a toon in my guild to reap ship buffs. My guild main goal is simply to provide best ship buffs (got all the buff rooms) at people who have trouble fitting in other guild requirements. Wich make it perfect for Soloers, Foreigners (they are free to speak their laguage in guild chat and invite friends), people seeking strong buffs, people who want no guild obligations, people who hate random guild invite, or just want buff while they search a guild to theyr liking. You get the picture. Of course after at least a year with no log-in, you might get the boot.

I also tend to help people get gear they need, sometime through normally paid content. Cannith Challenge stuff is real good.

Wow, what a nice chap. I seem to remember a similar no-stings attached guild on Khyber a while back, but sadly when I came back after a couple of years it seems to be no longer around.....

Lanadazia
04-16-2015, 09:14 AM
but do enjoy grouping if/when in a guild.I have started characters on several servers none above level 4. Sarlona, Khyber, orien, and agronessen. I'm basically looking for someone to show me the ropes and answer noob questions

i recommend you play on argonessen. this is a server with a high population and a very good (maybe the best) LFM system in ddo.
there are all kinds of people using the LFM, new players, exploring-focused players, zerging and elite players. you can find pretty much everything in the lfm or will get company somewhat quickly if you post something yourself (note: there are a few unpopular adventurepacks that keep filling LFMs slowly, if you're not successful with your 'rare' LFM try again on a weekend)
if you tell people that you're new and don't know much yet, most will explain and be patient. ddo got an adult community, so there is hardly any flaming or insulting if you do something wrong,
still people appreciate if you let them know if you don't know where to go or what to do

also the advice channel (/advice) is a very good place to ask questions and get serious answers. best you try the advice chat in the market or the harbor.
i've used this alot, noone knows everything, so don't be shy and just ask if you want to know something.

edit: also you can find me on argonessen, name is Lanadazia. just send me a mail or /tell me when i'm online :)