PDA

View Full Version : New Monsters

die
04-07-2015, 04:48 PM
Dear Turbine,

I like the new quest. However I can't help but feel I have played this over and over for the last 8 years. What I mean is every red named monster so far.. are monsters I fought at lv 4 & lv 7.. Its all the same quest same monsters.

Can we please release Shaverath and then please take 8 months and just build monsters. I can give you all my Monster manuals 1 AND 2 , Libris Mortis, TYrants of the nine Hells , Hordes of the abyss, and that is just scratching the surface.

There is nothing that feels epic about this new quest, same old monsters in the same lite up hallways. I do like the quest, I have been in part one for a hour clearing the whole thing out, and that leads me to my next complaint.

The xp is very low for the amount of time spent, this should be 200k I can think of quit a few quest were we get well over 100k for half the time.

Turbine has a great game in DDO, However it is becoming very stale, and it doesn't have to be.. new monsters that is where its at, I know there is more to just putting a monster in the game, But I for one would rather wait for 6 to 8 months for the vale.. which I PRAY HELM, its not just a re-hash. And take that time and build more monsters, there are so many more Devils and Demons, and undead, that can be used not to mention Tons of other monsters.

Thank you, valued and concerned customer - Doom

PsychoBlonde
04-07-2015, 06:46 PM
Uh, how exactly are YOU going to give Turbine the rights to use the MM critters? Do you own them? Pretty sure WotC owns them and isn't exactly liberal about handing them out, esp. since there are multiple D&D games going all with different license agreements.

die
04-07-2015, 07:28 PM
Uh, how exactly are YOU going to give Turbine the rights to use the MM critters? Do you own them? Pretty sure WotC owns them and isn't exactly liberal about handing them out, esp. since there are multiple D&D games going all with different license agreements.

This has got to be the siNGLE most stupid thing I have heard today. A dnd game licensed by WOTC .. not having access to monsters.. is this what you are suggesting? Never mind your blocked..Opps I almost forgot.. DIE

The_Human_Cypher
04-07-2015, 09:22 PM
Myconids should have been introduced in the TOEE end fight as Zuggtmoy is the Demon Queen of Evil Fungi. However, the developers indicated that art budget constraints and production schedules precluded them from including Myconids in TOEE, which of course would have been the time to introduce them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myconid

Developer Steelstar did mention on the forums that they are planning new monsters in the near future, so we could start a push for Goblins now. :)

UurlockYgmeov
04-07-2015, 09:34 PM
Myconids should have been introduced in the TOEE end fight as Zuggtmoy is the Demon Queen of Evil Fungi. However, the developers indicated that art budget constraints and production schedules precluded them from including Myconids in TOEE, which of course would have been the time to introduce them.

Developer Steelstar did mention on the forums that they are planning new monsters in the near future, so we could start a push for Goblins now. :)

^^^^ this.

There just isn't infinite resources available to a nearly decade old game. What resources are available are generally budgeted a year in advance, and with the changes and adjustments to what each update is - well... no Myconids :( Only Groot. :P

die
04-07-2015, 09:35 PM

That is good new's, I am so tired of fighting the same **** in every quest.

count_spicoli
04-07-2015, 10:21 PM
Complete agree. My thoughts after running this pack was someone took was just planted mobs in computer generated rooms with no uniqueness or reason to their grouping. I mean why is their a spider nest right down the hall from some humans standing around. Why are there orcs chilling with cultists. They took every mob we have in the game already and just pumped them into some rooms. the traps were even lame. Bear traps every where. And a visible spike pit. Nothing g new to see here imo. Throw in strange crafting system and this pack is a waste. Really bummed. Was hoping for more.

die
04-07-2015, 10:26 PM
Complete agree. My thoughts after running this pack was someone took was just planted mobs in computer generated rooms with no uniqueness or reason to their grouping. I mean why is their a spider nest right down the hall from some humans standing around. Why are there orcs chilling with cultists. They took every mob we have in the game already and just pumped them into some rooms. the traps were even lame. Bear traps every where. And a visible spike pit. Nothing g new to see here imo. Throw in strange crafting system and this pack is a waste. Really bummed. Was hoping for more.

I agree on some of your points. I have been arguing about better monster placement for years. I think it would help if they introduced new monsters into the game. I understand artwork is expensive and then to translate that to some kind of animation. I would give up 8 months of updates for a bunch of new monsters, So i never have to see another elemental again , another trog, another mud monster... and the list goes on and on.

The_Human_Cypher
04-07-2015, 10:27 PM

The placing of the monsters and traps resembles the pencil and paper TOEE at least to some extent. I only skimmed through the module recently but at least several of the dungeon encounters are taken directly from the original module.

count_spicoli
04-07-2015, 10:36 PM
The placing of the monsters and traps resembles the pencil and paper TOEE at least to some extent. I only skimmed through the module recently but at least several of the dungeon encounters are taken directly from the original module.

I am not familiar with the original so if this is the case I apologize to the devs. But as far as playing it just didn't feel very new or original to me.

The_Human_Cypher
04-07-2015, 10:44 PM
I am not familiar with the original so if this is the case I apologize to the devs. But as far as playing it just didn't feel very new or original to me.

Search for "Temple of Elemental Evil PDF" and you will be able to view it online. :)

The starved griffins room is taken directly from the module as are some other encounters. Due to the size of TOEE, there is supposed to be a random encounter feel to it. Early D&D modules almost always had random encounter tables for dungeons.

die
04-07-2015, 10:52 PM
Search for "Temple of Elemental Evil PDF" and you will be able to view it online. :)

The starved griffins room is taken directly from the module as are some other encounters. Due to the size of TOEE, there is supposed to be a random encounter feel to it. Early D&D modules almost always had random encounter tables for dungeons.

And I understand that TOEE is a low lv quest, and we should not expect to see alot of epic monsters, However I would like to see at least 30+ new monsters introduced for up coming mods.. thats if there is going to even be any thing after this year.

UurlockYgmeov
04-07-2015, 10:56 PM
And I understand that TOEE is a low lv quest, and we should not expect to see alot of epic monsters, However I would like to see at least 30+ new monsters introduced for up coming mods.. thats if there is going to even be any thing after this year.

30+ new monsters? for 9 months? Wow - my best guesstimate is 200,000 USD per monster .... so 6 million USD you want spent on just monsters?

How about you pony up the first million. :P

And DDO will be around for at least two more years - and in fact it is enjoying a sustained resurgence of popularity. At this point, DDO has achieved undead status and there is no case history for death.

die
04-07-2015, 11:01 PM
30+ new monsters? for 9 months? Wow - my best guesstimate is 200,000 USD per monster .... so 6 million USD you want spent on just monsters?

And DDO will be around for at least two more years - and in fact it is enjoying a sustained resurgence of popularity. At this point, DDO has achieved undead status and there is no case history for death.
That is insane that much for a monster, no wonder we are still fighting monsters we fought at lv 4.. the depths trogs and earth ellys. ..

The_Human_Cypher
04-07-2015, 11:07 PM

Where did you obtain that development figure for a new monster? I agree that DDO is experiencing a resurgence as the game continues to get better.

UurlockYgmeov
04-07-2015, 11:16 PM
Where did you obtain that development figure for a new monster? I agree that DDO is experiencing a resurgence as the game continues to get better.

Is based upon my experience in project management from Cray.... ok this was decades ago and had to extrapolate values over time, and compensate for a multitude of variables.

its not just drawing a monster up on a sketchpad - but you must figure several hundred hours just in art / modeling / wireframing /

then several hundred hours in scripting

then several hundred hours of planning ....

then several hundred hours in QA - not to mention the extra stuff you all want Monster Manuals, cosmetics.

all told probably 1000 man hours and that is just the basics. Now add QA - and the costs associated with having to hire new staff (and support staff and basic amenities like workstation, cubicle) which includes benefits, etc.

The labor alone would be easily 100,000 USD - support costs would add up to another 50,000. Add in another 100,000 for related items and so on.

200,000 per monster..... if having to bring in new staff to support 30+ new in 9 months.

Now let's not forget that all of this is upfront expense - which will never really be recuperated.

Plus now consider that this is 10 year old software - you aren't going to find cheap college grads who are willing to learn how to do this on this old of a development platform.

UurlockYgmeov
04-07-2015, 11:22 PM
OH and that doesn't include care and feeding and a retirement account for those new monsters. The monsters in DDO are unionized!

Just ask the Kobold!