PDA

View Full Version : Returning founder looking for help

Agrias
04-06-2015, 01:47 PM
I started when the game originally released and stopped shortly before the red dragon raid update happened (not sure which raid this is but lvl cap was still 10). I've come back a couple times throughout the years but never stuck with it for long. I think I just get overwhelmed by all the new stuff.

I spend a lot of time reading through builds people post and it seems very helpful but there are also some major problems. A lot of them are based around having past lives, stat tomes, and really nice gear already (green steel stuff seems to show up a lot and I think it's from a raid? And then crafting gear which I'm not currently capable of).

I do have a lvl 17 character from my last attempt at messing with this game (when first expansion came out I believe) that is a wiz/fighter (not sure on exact build details since servers seem to be down still). Most likely going to just make a new character (thinking Paladin for an "easy" time of getting back into things).

I bought the CE for first expansion (and then didn't play it for long >.>) and standard for the last one. I can make lvl 4 and 7 characters from veteran thing and have access to 32 point builds. Already subbed up again and debating on unlocking the bladeforged iconic but not sure if I'd be better off starting at lvl 1, 4, or 7 instead.

Basically, I'm not sure what to do. Am I going to be able to to get to 20 and beyond (would like to experience the epic content before messing with reincarnation stuff) without too much trouble like this? Is it difficult to find groups for quests or raids? Would I even be allowed in on raids? I'm okay if I have to solo normal quests but the raids look like a lot of fun.

I believe my characters are on Khyber now but I don't have a problem playing on a different server.

Sorry for the long post and hope it was clear enough. Would really like to stick with it this time as I really enjoy the game. It's just been hard to get back in to with all these changes and not knowing anyone in game anymore.

UurlockYgmeov
04-06-2015, 02:05 PM
first welcome back!

2nd - many players leave (and always come back).

Read the release notes and ddowiki.com.

3rd - don't stress it - keep your existing character and just create another and play from level one. enjoy the game while you (re)learn it. As far as your Wiz/Fighter - you should have a lesser reincarnation wood in its backpack - just keep it and when you are ready - *poof*

Have fun storming the castle! Might see you around Khyber!

Drakestor
04-06-2015, 02:15 PM
Welcome back!

First off, to address one of your concerns: Absolutely yes, you can get a first life character with no tomes, gear, etc. to 20 and beyond diving into epic content without a supreme struggle. Doing all of the quests on Heroic Elite? You will hit bumps and get ouchies. Epic Elite? Probably not so much.

I am running a multi-life character and gets through HE, but I still balk at EE. My static group and I run Epic Hard as we plow through our lives.

A lot of the random gen gear is good. You would do better with named gear, but (in my opinion) it is not essential.

It is not difficult to find groups, at least on my server (Sarlona). We have a great group here, and Trinityturtle has a help channel out there that she enjoys helping out with people with questions. Throw up LFM's, see what happens.

If you so desire, I (and many others) have new player friendly builds that can help ease you back into the playing thing, send me a PM or in game message to Buuick on Sarlona. Mine happens to be a 18/2 FVS/fighter longsword using Single Weapon fighting hind end whupper (for HE and EH content, mind you). Great survival traits, as well as good DPS and healing too.

Hope this helps a little, and don't get discouraged as things have changed immensely in the past few years, but the basics are still the same.

~Drake

GrrArgh
04-06-2015, 02:21 PM
I'm from over on Thelanis (mostly) but I think I can speak for a lot of us across the servers to say: Fear Not!

Relax. Take a breath. Prepare to have fun and then go do it. Gear? Pft. You can play with sub-par gear and do fine. And surprise, surprise, you'll pull better gear while doing so and in less time than you'd think....no more sub-par gear.

Solo vs Grouping? Well that gets tricky. I'm mostly a soloer myself and fall back on guildies or PUGs for any raids I want to do. But even if it's not the easiest thing to put together (and I'm not saying this is the case) it can and will be done. People are catching 20th completions on Raids all the time. I'm not sure how many are being done at level, mind, but quail not! There's more than enough XP to go around with the new (well, newest, they've been around a while now) XP changes.

There's even a handful of people out there Perma-death playing, and while those groups are by definition pretty inclusive, the point is that if they can start from level one out of the box and make it, so can you! Anything past that is added 'easy'. :)

Important things: Have fun. Develop a support structure of friends, any combination of guilds and friends list will do quite nicely. Even if you solo mostly having contact points for the 'big stuff' will always be useful. Don't be a jerk. People gotta not hate having you around to, you-know, have you around. (Not saying you are, just saying in general.)

There are many starter builds around as well as more involved builds. Check out some of those. Worst case scenario? It's not hard to respec feats or enhancements for ingame currencies only. And there are other ways to fix anything.

And yes, there are a lot of changes. None of us down-play the learning curve. BUT. Once you can wrap your head around it, it does have a shape and a form and make some kind of internal sense. So it's not impossible. Be encouraged. Gird thyself with what gear you have and go loot some more, mop the floor with thine enemies (who want to keep you from your loot). And don't fall prey to the trap that you shouldn't have your loot - no matter what that trap that's set up on your loot may be trying to tell you! ::grin::

Seikojin
04-06-2015, 02:32 PM
first welcome back!

2nd - many players leave (and always come back).

Read the release notes and ddowiki.com.

3rd - don't stress it - keep your existing character and just create another and play from level one. enjoy the game while you learn it. As far as your Wiz/Fighter - you should have a lesser reincarnation wood in its backpack - just keep it and when you are ready - *poof*

Have fun storming the castle! Might see you around Khyber!

This mainly.

There are plenty of ways to get a first lifer up and going with junk gear. Just don't expect to play on elite difficulties. Most people playing for fun play on hard for the most part anyways.

I roll on Sarlona. Toy and Seikojin are capped, so I am working on Adberrain, Atmaweapon, and Agenask.

Postumus
04-06-2015, 03:54 PM
Welcome back!

First off, to address one of your concerns: Absolutely yes, you can get a first life character with no tomes, gear, etc. to 20 and beyond diving into epic content without a supreme struggle. Doing all of the quests on Heroic Elite? You will hit bumps and get ouchies. Epic Elite? Probably not so much.

WB OP!

I second the sentiments posted here by Drakestor and others. With the new enhancements etc you can easily re-configure your ftr/wiz and keep on playing to 20 as long as you don't fall into the elite BB trap. Running content on normal and hard will get you to 20 easily with all the new content.

You might consider joining a large or at least active guild if you want to run raids as you don't see a lot of LFMs for those these days - at least not like you used to Pre-expansion.

Enderoc
04-06-2015, 04:49 PM
The first two things I bought was Epic Destinies and a plus 6 supreme tome for my main. Both to me were necessary as I did not want to be entirely gimped while running with vets who seemed to have multiple past lives. I was lucky too to be around for the 25th anniversary so some of my alts have plus 3 tomes on them. I hate to tell a new player to buy these things... but at the same time, it makes everything run a lot more smooth to have epic past lives with plus 6 to stats.

The third thing I bought was Iconic classes. All of them. Now again, that is not necessary but when you get to third life you begin to realize its a hard grind to 20. It's way easier to level after 20. Iconic just makes the jump from past life to epic easier. What I did was one ER and then three TRs. Now I am working on trying to fill all my destinies so I have freedom to choose the feats and twists I really need to make a well polished character. Once I get 6 mill Karma in each sphere I will Epic reincarnate after collecting seeds to do so automatically after hitting 28 each life and just try to complete them all reincarnating each time in a class to the area of focus.

After that I will resume Heroic TRs to make completion.

If you are VIP or bought some of the Sagas... you can earn tomes if money is tight.

I was also lucky to have returned before champ spawns. Don't avoid elite content no reason to solo anything, do put up LFM's and Pug it. Death is okay. The risk of death makes things exciting. Don't worry about XP loss via death penalties, dive into a Baptism of fire by stepping right into dangerous domain. D&D without challenge, may as well be an interactive Saturday morning cartoon.

There maybe crybabies who whine about carrying people through quests, but most people are a bit more relaxed and easy going. Party leaders that just complain about those who are making an effort without giving tips, feedback...tend to be hormonal. Laugh at their discomfort, not your own. Teen Angst is hillarious, more so when it carries far into adulthood.