PDA

View Full Version : Increase Max Party Size Past 12 for Chat Purposes

axel15810
04-02-2015, 02:12 PM
I know people can use outside applications like Skype to chat in large groups, but if it's not difficult coding wise it would be nice to allow a limit higher than 12 on party sizes. Just for purposes of voice chat. Would help with events, guild chat, ect.

Of course you couldn't run any quests while in a party with more than 12 members, but that's fine. Would be nice to have guild chat, events, ect such without having to resort to outside applications or text.

If this is something that would not take much developer time, it would for sure be a nice improvement.

UurlockYgmeov
04-02-2015, 02:18 PM
I would believe this wouldn't be done for fear of server wide lag... think Mabar and the Shadow Dragon Raid.

Besides, already exists - called skype, vylo, c3, vent, teamspeak, voice.gg, raidspeak.... many are free and some even work through a browser.

MisterCanoeHead
04-02-2015, 05:03 PM
I know people can use outside applications like Skype to chat in large groups, but if it's not difficult coding wise it would be nice to allow a limit higher than 12 on party sizes. Just for purposes of voice chat. Would help with events, guild chat, ect.

Of course you couldn't run any quests while in a party with more than 12 members, but that's fine. Would be nice to have guild chat, events, ect such without having to resort to outside applications or text.

If this is something that would not take much developer time, it would for sure be a nice improvement.

Terrible idea. Complete waste of the Devs time.

I hope these aren't the kinds of things that are being discussed in the players council.

Bloodskittle
04-02-2015, 06:10 PM
Just use Mumble or Teamspeak man, or even ventrilo if you wanna be old school, if what is being said is a big enough deal that you want your whole guild in voice chat then Mumble and such programs are the way to go.

axel15810
04-02-2015, 07:59 PM
Terrible idea. Complete waste of the Devs time.

I hope these aren't the kinds of things that are being discussed in the players council.

This is not council related, just a random thought I had today. Why would it be so terrible? I've always wanted to have chat in game for guild and event reasons. Lag as mentioned above is a reasonable concern, I didn't think about that. And I agree I would not want a lot of dev hours to go towards this. I was thinking more that if this would be an easy change, why not? Other than lag that was mentioned, I don't see any downside to promoting and supporting more socialization in game.

PsychoBlonde
04-03-2015, 01:08 AM
This is not council related, just a random thought I had today. Why would it be so terrible? I've always wanted to have chat in game for guild and event reasons. Lag as mentioned above is a reasonable concern, I didn't think about that. And I agree I would not want a lot of dev hours to go towards this. I was thinking more that if this would be an easy change, why not? Other than lag that was mentioned, I don't see any downside to promoting and supporting more socialization in game.

Because they're not a free webconference solutions provider?

Heck, most MMO's don't even have integrated voice chat, PERIOD. It's not an inconsiderable expense or amount of bandwidth to support this kind of thing! (also why it's incredibly feature-poor).

axel15810
04-03-2015, 08:21 AM
amount of bandwidth to support this kind of thing! (also why it's incredibly feature-poor).

Now that would be a legit reason if true. Something else to consider. Also, I suppose nobody except the devs would really know if something like this would affect game performance. They already support 12 player chat, would uping this to 20 in public areas only or so really create more lag? Yes there of course are outside services such as Skype, but talking to people through DDO's chat feature is a lot more convenient and easier to organize.

Granted it's not often I personally would take advantage of this, but in a few events I've taken part in it would have been nice. It was more of a why not? type of thought.

General_Gronker
04-03-2015, 09:38 AM
No.

Waste of time, waste of resources.

Rofaust
04-04-2015, 02:53 AM
Maybe have a few designated public areas with different instances or even private rooms where everyone in 'say' chat range can be heard via mic. That way guildies could just meet up in one of those places for big discussions. And then you wouldn't have to worry about messing with group size or polluting public chat.

Or just have different chat channels like we have different tabs for party text chat and guild text chat - if you're on the guild chat tab maybe it should let you guild voice chat too.

Enderoc
04-04-2015, 03:51 AM
DDO should get on board on creating a presence on Ventrillo which is already established.