PDA

View Full Version : How do you replay the Threnal Arena?

DavidByron
03-30-2015, 11:34 AM
So the first time I did all the Threnal quests I must have missed the ceremonial dagger. I decided to go back and try the arena because I was trying to find a nice place to kill rust monsters, and the Wiki says there's a few there. I go back to the West excavation and run through all three quests on casual to get the dagger. The last quest i must have missed some demons because I didn't get all 35 but the chest at the end dropped the ceremonial dagger anyway so I figured, that'll do.

And it did. I went off to do the Arena and it seemed to work fine, but i couldn't get it to repeat. Eventually i got one of the upgraded swords and went to do the quest to get another dagger (where i also never finished the quest due to being short on demons). Still no luck. I tried reseting the Threnal instance from the Pharlain enclave and that didn't do it either. The altar says I am not yet qualified or something, even though I have a ceremonial blade.

The only thing I could think of was to run the demon killing quest again and complete it. I put the ceremonial dagger in bank so i could draw a new one in case that mattered. That seemed to work, so maybe you have to run the demon slaying quest every time you want to run the arena. but the first time I ran the arena that quest was listed as incomplete, so how can it be a requirement that it's completed? Is it the ceremonial dagger itself? Do you need a new one for every time you run arena?

I figure Threnal was top level content many years ago so someone might remember what is the minimum you need to re-run the arena?

Talon_Moonshadow
03-30-2015, 11:41 AM
There is a quest that is bestowed inside Threnal West, when you pick up the dagger.

DavidByron
03-30-2015, 12:14 PM
So you don't have to complete that last quest but you do have to go and grab a new ceremonial dagger every time you want to re-run the arena?

Bluegirl_Two
03-30-2015, 11:42 PM
Is it the ceremonial dagger itself?

Yes.

Do you need a new one for every time you run arena?

In theory maybe not but based on your post it appears to be yes as well.

This quest is one that I have never run myself because, as you note, it is very, very old and the reward is hardly worth the effort. Reading the Wiki on it seems to suggest that the dagger is all that is required and it implies that if you recall instead of upgrading that you can run the quest again. But your report indicates that you need a new dagger each time -- easy enough if you never complete the quest that gives you the dagger....

Talon_Moonshadow
03-31-2015, 09:12 AM
So you don't have to complete that last quest but you do have to go and grab a new ceremonial dagger every time you want to re-run the arena?

Yeah, but if I remember right, the dagger is in the last room you normally come to. (but I think completion depends on the number of Reavers you kill, so often people miss one or two on the way.)

But, yeah, since it is a chain, if your goal is to redo the arena several times, you could jut do that.

You can save daggers from past runs, but I think you need to have the quest everytime.
Not sure if you actually need it on your character, or if just someone in the party has the quest is enough.

It almost never gets run, so I never fully figured out what the mechanic is. (plus they did change it at some point in the past)

Bluegirl_Two
03-31-2015, 09:40 AM
It appears that you must have a new dagger each time. Hording daggers will not suffice. The Threnal Arena quest mechanism is such that it is bestowed by getting the dagger (completion of Ruins of Threnal is not required) and ends upon getting the last kill. So you must reacquire the quest by getting a new dagger each time.

Hording daggers just means you got the dagger multiple times without ever completing the quest it bestows. Since there is no counter this is ineffective in bestowing a stack of quests on the character. Once you complete Threnal Arena all of those previous times you acquired a dagger are closed and you have to get a new dagger to start the Threnal Arena quest over again.

What would probably work would be to leave the Threnal Arena quest before the final kill. DDoor might work as would a teleport of some sort. Return to Threnal and reset the instance and you could probably rerun Threnal Arena with the same dagger over and over. That is because the quest will never have completed, so a single dagger should suffice.

Spoonwelder
03-31-2015, 12:48 PM
On the topic of farming for rustees (I assume for Monster Manual rewards) - I would actually suggest the following:

Low levels - Depths of Despair and Depths of Darkness - two very fast quests - a couple of rustees in each
Mid levels - Iron Mines (Sorrowdusk Isle) second quest in chain - an early room will have alot of rustees in it. Very easy farm.
- Stormvaulds Mine - another early room - easy farm of rustees
Higher Levels - Rainbow in the Dark - first hallway after drop down can be rustees or earth ellies - recall, reset rinse and repeat for another easy farm.

This is incase your actual goal is a quick farm of rusty kills.

FuzzyDuck81
04-01-2015, 04:59 AM
...and the reward is hardly worth the effort.

http://ddowiki.com/images/Threnalian_War_Blade.png

I disagree, this is still a pretty nice bit of kit, especially for newer players.

Bluegirl_Two
04-01-2015, 12:51 PM
How much work do you put in to get the weapon and how long do you use it before it is obsolete to you? There is a lot of gear that looks good on paper (or in digital display on the computer screen) but that is really just junk.

Here's the best use for the weapon -- it has two augment slots and is a bind to character weapon -- meaning it never takes permanent damage. You slot it with something useful and use it to beat on things that normally break your weapons.

Now, that seems pretty pointless when you consider that those things that break weapons are oozes and rust monsters and that you can pick up a Muckbane out of a L2 quest and get everbright weapons of every possible type.

No, just because it has 2 augment slots and a low ML doesn't make it good -- even for new players.

Spoonwelder
04-01-2015, 01:37 PM
It's actually a pretty good caster stick for a Cleric/FVS in Warpriest with Sov. Host and Longsword as your favoured weapon......as a +5 weapon with all the Warpriest points spent it becomes a +10 which ends up being +30 spell power - slot in devotion and radiance and you are set. Yeah greensteel is better but for new players or non-primary melees it still has alot of staying power.

FuzzyDuck81
04-01-2015, 02:07 PM
It's actually a pretty good caster stick for a Cleric/FVS in Warpriest with Sov. Host and Longsword as your favoured weapon......as a +5 weapon with all the Warpriest points spent it becomes a +10 which ends up being +30 spell power - slot in devotion and radiance and you are set. Yeah greensteel is better but for new players or non-primary melees it still has alot of staying power.

Add in 3 APs in harper and it's a +11.. potentially on a TR if you've done 3 arcane past lives it's another +3... that means you can have a +13 weapon as soon as you hit level 8 (tier 5 requires level 12 character) which grants a tasty +39 implement bonus to spellpower plus whatever specific ones you have slotted - not too shabby at all.

Admittedly, on a TRed guy at that point you'd probably have picked up the nightforge avenger which only has 1 red augment slot, but which has 18-20/x2 and the same ML8 (but is bound to character on acquire instead of equip) & the quest is level 12, so a bit too tricky for a newbie to get easily at that level & can't just be picked up from the auction house or be given as a gift.

SirValentine
04-03-2015, 03:02 PM
On the topic of farming for rustees (I assume for Monster Manual rewards) - I would actually suggest the following:

I like spots with infinite respawns, so that I can get hirelings to farm for me while I'm semi-AFK.

For rust monster, the end fight of Siegebreaker, in Lordsmarch Plaza, fits that bill. The spawn rate is too slow to be worth it if you're actually sitting there killing them yourself, but it' perfect for AFK-hireling-farming.

Nonesuch2008
04-03-2015, 05:54 PM
Ataraxia's is a good, easily accessible place to farm rusties. They are big enough to saddle & ride, so they are readily spotted from a distance too.

Just follow the right coastline around to the scorpion beach where Schenker likes to pop, check out the tidal cave for the rare rusty there along with his cohorts, and continue that direction around the coastline for a good number of kills. One nice benefit is that open space means you can range them easily & not risk the equipment damage that you might incur inside a quest.