PDA

View Full Version : Cooperative Mode in DDO

BillyBlaze
03-25-2015, 12:49 PM
Here is an idea to make the game more cooperative or to add to the list for DDO2

Instead of using your character to complete the quest use standard character provided by the Dev's.

For example: you're in the mood to run Tempest Spine but do not have an appropriate level toon. No problem play cooperative mode.

Each player that joins gets to choose from 12 different characters at level 12 that is provided by the Dev's. The group could role for classes or could be assigned. They would all be 28pt builds with standard gear and supplies to complete the quest but no Uber gear.

This might be fun you could do any quest at any time with an appropriate level toon and it would be a challenge.

I'm not sure how popular it would be but it would add flavor to the game.

dunklezhan
03-25-2015, 12:55 PM
Sounds fun, but I can't imagine it ever happening I'm afraid.

Also, I think for pregens to work, you'd have to have 12 slots for people to choose from. The slots would have to be fairly well defined party roles too (melee, ranged, crowd control, offensive caster, support, healer etc). Probably you'd have to let people name the three slots they want in priority order so that conflicts can be resolved. Either way, 'roles' are just not how DDO was ever really played and it certainly isn't played that way now.

Uska
03-25-2015, 07:10 PM
to much dev time required for a thing that wouldn't see much use

General_Gronker
03-26-2015, 06:12 PM
it would add flavor to the game.
Maybe, but flavor isn't inherently good. A rotten, maggot-infested steak has flavor, but it's not something you want to plop down on your plate and gobble up.

Now, I'm not saying your idea is like a rotten, maggot-infested steak. I"m just saying it's not very good, regardless of what flavor it would add.

Sidewaysgts86
03-28-2015, 04:25 PM
to much dev time required for a thing that wouldn't see much use

Really?

How much dev time would it take? Roughly? Just a ball park hour-time to code? Whatre you basing this on? Thanks :)

ssgcmwatson
03-29-2015, 09:45 AM
If the devs were to address this concern, I'd rather see them devise a way to scale down a character I already have. If I don't have any toons around lvl 12 to run Tempest with a group, I could visit a vendor (or pay the quest giver for a potion, etc) that would reduce my high level character to effectively be lvl 12 for the duration of the quest.

From a player perspective, I think it would be a royal pain in the @$$ to go to the bank and put away all the gear that I'm currently wearing. Personally, I would prefer it be coded along the lines of "my lvl 18 wiz has an item that grants 30 fire resist; since she is now lvl 12 the item will only grant 20 fire resist" (12 is two-thirds of 18, so any bonuses granted by items are multiplied by 2/3)

[The relationship need not be linear; in fact, given that the XP curve is exponential it probably shouldn't be]

Saekee
03-29-2015, 11:14 AM
If the devs were to address this concern, I'd rather see them devise a way to scale down a character I already have. If I don't have any toons around lvl 12 to run Tempest with a group, I could visit a vendor (or pay the quest giver for a potion, etc) that would reduce my high level character to effectively be lvl 12 for the duration of the quest.

From a player perspective, I think it would be a royal pain in the @$$ to go to the bank and put away all the gear that I'm currently wearing. Personally, I would prefer it be coded along the lines of "my lvl 18 wiz has an item that grants 30 fire resist; since she is now lvl 12 the item will only grant 20 fire resist" (12 is two-thirds of 18, so any bonuses granted by items are multiplied by 2/3)

[The relationship need not be linear; in fact, given that the XP curve is exponential it probably shouldn't be]

What if you 'saved' a profile of your character at each level range so that you would be able to cooperate in lower level quests again by assuming the saved version? For example, you save a version of your character at level 7. This form would have specific gear stats enhancements etc. all saved up. You could opt into that version at the login window and still get full xp for quests run around that level. Missed that Chronoscope run? Jump back and join. Main caveat is that you can't sell or trade anything, so that would be a PITA to code. Maybe make it so that all weapons and items just remained glued to the body. (Which we would hate since who doesn't constantly swap stuff)

Uska
03-29-2015, 02:05 PM
Really?

How much dev time would it take? Roughly? Just a ball park hour-time to code? Whatre you basing this on? Thanks :)

One nano second would be to much for this since almost no one would use it and as other have said there aren't anynreally clearly defined roles.

Zachski
03-31-2015, 01:04 AM
Cooperation is the community's issue, not the dev's issue. Outside of dangling rewards for cooperating, there's not much the devs can do.

If you want cooperation, end the elitism. Stop people from being haughty towards each other. Stop the min-max, "BYOH" policy that excludes players who aren't aware of it. Stop shaming players for playing the game how they want. And also stop the inherent hostility towards new things.

A game with little to no cooperation is generally the symptom of a rotten community. Just look at Everquest. It's practically dead below end-game. The players there are inherently hostile towards anyone who's played a post-Everquest MMORPG, which is most new players wanting to join. The players there provide no sort of community hook for new players. The only way to succeed in that game is to slowly level solo, or else cheat by making several accounts and playing them all at once using something that's suspiciously close to a botting program to control your other characters. Why this isn't banned, I'll never know, but it's insulting to the people who want to actually play that game legitimately.

And I don't want to see DDO become Everquest - filled with elitists whining about the good ol' days when you were required to run to your corpse.

Nefatron
03-31-2015, 03:34 AM
before we all go off on this guy like the little pretentious needle pricks alot of people are on here...

Lets take the fact he said it was a Idea for DDO 2.0 something we all hope for but know wont ever happen.
So calm down folks.

oh yea... I +1 ever thing the poster before me said.

BillyBlaze
04-02-2015, 07:27 PM
Okay no one likes my idea, I get it.

I guess I’m at a different time of the game than most. I have my triple, triple, triple completionist and am sitting at end game soloing all epic elites in record time.

When I epic tr’d I didn’t need anyone’s help to run quests I could blow through them all on elite without any help. That was fun at first but it quickly got boring and so I would run with friends and we would blow through content soloing but going in different directions.

I am no longer on the xp train and am happy with my toon at end game.

This idea all came about when someone posted why is ddo so competitive. I thought about it and it dawned on me that we all have over powered toons and can blow through content. At first I would stay behind and help people but inevitably you would always have the few that would zerg ahead and blow through the content and helping people is only so much fun. So I either catch up to them or go get a sandwich.

Now if we were all in the same boat and all had bad toons designed by the dev’s with no heal pots, heal scrolls, blind pots, curse pots, etc. Just a basic gear that is not even magic plus one armor and plus one sword and so on. A fighter would not be able to heal themselves. A paladin could, but would quickly run out of mana you would need the rouge because your toon would be so gimped, you would die in the traps. The sorcerer and wizard would not have all the uber gear and their spell pen would be poor and no archmagi and would run out of mana quickly if used poorly.

This could be designed to be a ton of fun. You could get a xp stone worth the xp you earned to use on any of your toon’s at the end and keep the gear you looted.

If this was a guild run and you had someone who always played a fighter and they rolled and got a cleric, I can already hear the comments and OMG Brutus is a healer lol we are all doomed and so on Fritz is a rogue he has never played a rogue this is going to be interesting.

I think this would be a ton of fun and people would need to rely on each other again instead of zerging to the end with their chests out yelling I’m the greatest at this game and you are all not as good as me.

PsychoBlonde
04-02-2015, 08:03 PM
It'd be a hell of a lot easier to just add more "vet status" type options and let people create these characters themselves if that's what they want. I know several people who do, for instance, one of my buddies has an artificer that sits at level 20 for running Cannith challenges when he's in the mood. My housemate doesn't do the TR stuff himself, so when we play together he usually just waits for me to hit one of the vet status or iconic milestones and joins me on a new toon.

Or they could sell smaller XP stones than the big otto's box ones.

Silverleafeon
04-02-2015, 11:07 PM
Iconic = Instant toon for 1 thru 15 level...(you aren't required to level up).
Vet II = 7
Vet I = 4
Korthos

Eat Box ~ take as many levels as you like, group with whomever (without gaining xp), etc...

PsychoBlonde
04-03-2015, 01:10 AM
Iconic = Instant toon for 1 thru 15 level...(you aren't required to level up).
Vet II = 7
Vet I = 4
Korthos

Eat Box ~ take as many levels as you like, group with whomever (without gaining xp), etc...

To be fair, you DO have to level up a new iconic toon if you want GEAR. If your plan is to run around buck nekkid I suppose that'd work fine, though.

Enderoc
04-03-2015, 06:09 AM
Here is a way to do that , allow Fred to temporarily allow a lesser reincarnation for one quest in wiping your memory to an earlier time (or even another life)...You could totally reconstruct your character but resulting in 0xp. This would help people in kind of scoping out various builds as well. Of course it would cost plat and dragonshards...but less strict and easier to come by requirements.