PDA

View Full Version : how much do i need to buy a stone of xp?

Jastarn
03-19-2015, 09:14 AM
or an ottos box

in plat or items, not TP

TrinityTurtle
03-19-2015, 10:21 AM
SInce your posting this in the new players thread, I'm going to assume you're a new player. And therefore...

Don't buy one. That stone will shoot you up in levels, but it will NOT teach you the tactics and experience with your toon you will need to be good at those new levels. The stone of experience debacle when they gave them out and incentiviced using them to get a free pet left a lot of frustrated newer players with highish level toons that couldn't survive content because they had neither gear nor play experience.

If you're not a new player, then I question your forum choice. :)

Jastarn
03-19-2015, 10:37 AM
I'm a semi new player, i have TR'd once, and explored a fair amount of the game on multiple servers.

I still think of myself as a new player though

is there a better forum to post about this?

Enoach
03-19-2015, 10:55 AM
Currently the only ways to get an XP stone (Epic or Heroic)

1. Purchase Ottos Box from Tubine's store (In-Game)
2. Purchase from Auction House (Rarely seen but possible on shard exchange in most cases priced above the amount you would pay if you buy directly but that might be ok if you have the shards)
3. Purchase from another Player - At this point it is up to negotiation between them and yourself to settle the on the amount be it coin and/or item(s)

What I recommend is putting a post in the Server you are on Trade Sub Forum. Put down an opening offer and be willing to negotiate.

Keep in mind what you are asking for currently comes as part of a $50 ish dollar store bought item so it might be a tough negotiation.

Uska
03-19-2015, 10:56 AM
Post offers on the marketplace fourm for the server you want it but in terms of items it would be a lot and I,doubt anyone would take any amount of plat most go for TP

Good luck though

Monkey-Boy
03-19-2015, 10:56 AM
I'm a semi new player, i have TR'd once, and explored a fair amount of the game on multiple servers.

I still think of myself as a new player though

is there a better forum to post about this?

In any forum we'll tell "don't buy one." :)

Karranor
03-19-2015, 11:19 AM
In any forum we'll tell "don't buy one." :)

Hehe true that! Stones are really only good to level up an alt that you have gear for.

As a newb leveling up will probably only get you dead lots, frustrated, and quitting the game. That is NOT what we want. :)

Livmo
03-19-2015, 11:38 AM
An Otto's Box costs 4995 TPs.

30 Astral Shards costs 195 TPs.

4995/195 = 25.62

25.62*30 = 768.6 AS

Seems easier to go buy a $50 Visa Gift card from the grocery store and get a 5000 point code from the DDO Market to buy a box for the stone.

I can't image anyone wanting to trade a stone on the cheap.

Jastarn
03-19-2015, 01:20 PM
thanks for your input! that is very helpful :)

Chi_Ryu
03-19-2015, 01:29 PM
An Otto's Box costs 4995 TPs.

30 Astral Shards costs 195 TPs.

4995/195 = 25.62

25.62*30 = 768.6 AS

Going price on Argo ASAH is around 2,000-3,000AS. Your server may vary.

I've never seen one offered for Plat.

unbongwah
03-19-2015, 02:43 PM
I've never seen one offered for Plat.
AH cap per item is 2.1M plat, but effectively no one will bid more than 2 million and 1 plat (or as close as they can come to just over that), because it's impossible to outbid that amount; must offer +5% over current bid, but in this case that would push past plat cap. Factor in the 30% cut the AH takes and the most you are ever likely to get on a single auction is 1.4M plat. Considering how much real money it costs to buy an XP stone, I can't imagine anyone settling for such a pittance to sell theirs.

Jiirix
03-20-2015, 05:15 AM
or an ottos box

in plat or items, not TP

To buy a stone with plat and/or items you have to farm the good stuff. As far as I know the time required to farm that many good items is longer then the time you need to level a toon from 1 to 20 on a third live. If you have a stock of verry valuable items you may find someone willing to trade a stone for them. Epic elite rings of shadow, epic elite consuming darkness, epic elite +3 insightful dragon helms, full stacks of all abishai coocies, full stacks large SP pots, utility items like royal guard mask (teleport clicky) and staff of the seer (true seeing clicky) are items that could be worth a try. (Bunch of those, not only one..)

What I did was buy the expansions when those were 75% off and got a large tome of learning with the deal. I run quests with 50% bravery bonus and it stacks with the +50% from the tome. Together with the first time bonus and daily bonus that is a lot of xp for running a quest ones. Was a lot cheaper then a ottos box and I keep the bonus for the next lives.

If you just have some good items you want to trade but not enough for a stone you can trade them for medium eberron dragonshards on your servers trade forum. Those shards can be traded for 20% XP Pots, that speeds you leveling up a bit at least.

Nefatron
03-20-2015, 07:06 AM
It really depends on what people want..

I've gotten a otto's box before for as little as 2-3 augments.
Or even 1 Manual of stealthy pilfering when HH first came out..

OR

You have the guy that know's "certain people" and wants 5k of what ever mat is popular along with 10 of each augments available. 100 of each card...

Just depends on who you talk to.

Saekee
03-20-2015, 08:50 AM
I've never understood the appeal. You pay to advance a class for a faster PL? Why not just play it through? Eventually you will get to completionist and then triple--then not play anymore since the content gets too easy against your metagamed character?

You are paying to avoid playing later, in effect.

Jastarn
03-20-2015, 01:31 PM
my goal is to get completionist so i can do a bunch of gimpy flavor builds based on my pnp characters, and have completionist to help them not be to terrible. thats all :o

Livmo
03-20-2015, 02:59 PM
my goal is to get completionist so i can do a bunch of gimpy flavor builds based on my pnp characters, and have completionist to help them not be to terrible. thats all :o

I've tried a stone before. First I wanted to see what it would do. Yeah you can read stuff, but I like to do stuff to just see sometimes. I learned some valuable lessons from experience.

Foremost I out leveled my gear. That was most painful. Be prepared to have gear. I went right from level 4 to 20. The extra XP was truncated. No left overs for epics.

I ran into an in-game snag for something I was attempting to do. I needed a spare hand. Literally. Since my stone experience, I knew what to expect if I ever used another. I traded in-game for another XP stone. My spare hand needed to be able to rez. I got on my lowbie druid and popped the stone. Bam 20!

I've never really played druid past level 8. I knew I wouldn't have any gear. My best item right now is L14 blue dragon scale. My earthquake spell doesn't seem very effective, but I've never had the spell before, so anything goes. I needed a toon that could stand in 1 spot and throw a rez if need be. My druid works perfect for that one task, but very squishy :)

Regarding ERs, I've pondered getting an epic xp stone for the last martial. It's like trying to chug down a cup of broken glass, ERing thru off EDs.

I wouldn't sweat using a stone. Playing flavor builds sounds like allot more fun than broken glass!

Saekee
03-20-2015, 05:37 PM

hah! Fair point. My main is not completionist and i do gimp builds with it anyway.