PDA

View Full Version : Returning Player, Need Some Help!!

Zigana
03-14-2015, 08:50 AM
I'm just coming back to the game after a little more than a year and a half away, and holy ****! Soooo many changes to deal with! But the worst issue seems to be with my sorc. When I left she could do most quests, including epics, without much issue. Tonight, I got my butt handed to me and it wasn't pretty in the slightest! I play a human 34 point build, water savant with CC. At lvl 23, my CHA is 44 and my Con is 30 (18 base, 4 tome, 8 items and effects [think that's a 6 item and 2 ship buff]) with 1 toughness feat. I heard another group member comment that my 460 HP's were worrisome--and I guess for good reason, as I'm the only one who died that quest (although, to be fair, the mobs seemed to be auto targeting me upon spawning before I had even cast and from clear across the room :P ). So, is this just a matter of my build no longer cutting it? Am I forced to reroll as a toaster or continue to die non-stop? What are my options here?

Sehenry03
03-14-2015, 10:45 AM
I'm just coming back to the game after a little more than a year and a half away, and holy ****! Soooo many changes to deal with! But the worst issue seems to be with my sorc. When I left she could do most quests, including epics, without much issue. Tonight, I got my butt handed to me and it wasn't pretty in the slightest! I play a human 34 point build, water savant with CC. At lvl 23, my CHA is 44 and my Con is 30 (18 base, 4 tome, 8 items and effects [think that's a 6 item and 2 ship buff]) with 1 toughness feat. I heard another group member comment that my 460 HP's were worrisome--and I guess for good reason, as I'm the only one who died that quest (although, to be fair, the mobs seemed to be auto targeting me upon spawning before I had even cast and from clear across the room :P ). So, is this just a matter of my build no longer cutting it? Am I forced to reroll as a toaster or continue to die non-stop? What are my options here?

Well I prefer toasters as a sorc but its not a necessity.

Really the only big difference between when you quit and now are champs. See that crown above a mobs head? That is your focus mob. CC it ASAP and burn it down. Multiple crowns? CC ASAP. With your HP's a lot of champs can 1 shot you on EH and most on EE probably. Champs can also have true seeing which bypasses blur/displacement. Just need to change tactics. Now if you are 28 and have 460hp's...yeah that's a bit low. Get some +50 false life items...+40Vitality...+10/11 Con items. All are easy to get and make a huge boost.

But after all is said and done...the champs are the main game changer. The rest of the mobs are about the same.

And yes Toasters have instant self heals basically to max hp.s while fleshies generally depend on caccoon and its a much slower healing process.

Here's the kicker...if you can get heavy armor on which is easier for a Toaster then a fleshie...Harmor will drastically increase your life expectancy with PRR/MRR in the game now. Ask your guildies or look up builds on the forums on how to do it. Its not a necessity but it will make it vastly easier to survive EE content.

Zigana
03-14-2015, 03:06 PM
Well I prefer toasters as a sorc but its not a necessity.

Really the only big difference between when you quit and now are champs. See that crown above a mobs head? That is your focus mob. CC it ASAP and burn it down. Multiple crowns? CC ASAP. With your HP's a lot of champs can 1 shot you on EH and most on EE probably. Champs can also have true seeing which bypasses blur/displacement. Just need to change tactics. Now if you are 28 and have 460hp's...yeah that's a bit low. Get some +50 false life items...+40Vitality...+10/11 Con items. All are easy to get and make a huge boost.

But after all is said and done...the champs are the main game changer. The rest of the mobs are about the same.

And yes Toasters have instant self heals basically to max hp.s while fleshies generally depend on caccoon and its a much slower healing process.

Here's the kicker...if you can get heavy armor on which is easier for a Toaster then a fleshie...Harmor will drastically increase your life expectancy with PRR/MRR in the game now. Ask your guildies or look up builds on the forums on how to do it. Its not a necessity but it will make it vastly easier to survive EE content.

I'm 23, so I'm assuming my hp is more on par for that level? I did grab a +40 false life item bringing me up to an even 500 hp now.

So a few more levels, higher con item and false life item with those levels and some PRR should help out. Stuff to aim for as I get the xp :)

It was EE and one shots, so I guess it's a matter of getting my CC's up a little more and see how that goes. Any suggestions on what number to aim for there?

Thanks for the info!

Thalone
03-14-2015, 07:26 PM
DCs are a pretty complex topic... depends on what level of stuff you're running and the enemy.

For example, casters are generally low strength, low Fortitude, low Reflex, high Will. So Web would be a good spell to use against them (however, Web doesn't play well with fireballs), or nuking DPS spells, or instakills. On the other hand, melees generally have high Fortitude/strength and low Will, so Disco Balls/Holds will work better on them. Archer/Rogue types will have high Reflex, so have a chance to completely Evade your Reflex-based DPS spells if you don't have high enough DCs. So what you can do is target enemies' weak saves.

As for the useful floor of EE DCs, in my experience, mid- or high-50s is quite reliable for lower-level EE stuff (e.g., Phiarlan, Sentinels) and mid- or high-60s is reliable for Stormhorns (except Fort spells--many of the enemies seem to have a bonus to their Fort saves above what you'd expect for the level). It's not a linear progression based on quest level--Gianthold has a noticeable spike in the required DCs.

You can also debuff enemies to make your effective DCs higher. Solid Fog decreases their Reflex. Waves of Exhaustion debuffs STR/DEX and slows enemies (hence allowing you to get out of the way of melee attacks). Hypnotism has a temporary Will debuff to help you land Holds for +50% damage. You can set up a Symbol of Death to neg level stuff. As a Sorc, with a limited spell list, you may want to consider scrolling some debuffs.

Also, if you're drawing unwanted aggro, consider wearing a Diplo item and buffing the skill. Hit Diplo when you see mobs heading toward you to shed aggro onto a lucky party member. As a Sorc, your Diplo skill should be naturally high due to CHA.