PDA

View Full Version : TR'ing for Casual Players?

travscart
03-14-2015, 03:25 AM
Hey all. I level pretty slow even as a first lifer, and despite my guildmates best efforts to help me level. I've been thinking about the whole TR thing and am trying to find what will give me the biggest bang for my casual buck. I have a level 24 PDK, and am looking at ETR as a viable option. But what are your thoughts? Should I just cap out and roll a new first lifer?

Kasiddy
03-14-2015, 06:26 AM
Hey all. I level pretty slow even as a first lifer, and despite my guildmates best efforts to help me level. I've been thinking about the whole TR thing and am trying to find what will give me the biggest bang for my casual buck. I have a level 24 PDK, and am looking at ETR as a viable option. But what are your thoughts? Should I just cap out and roll a new first lifer?

Cap it and possibly epic reincarnate after you've been at cap for a while.
Roll a new character if you feel the urge for lowbie action again.
You can farm gear with your capped character for it, and possibly level faster.
You can play with your capped character with your guildies almost any time there is epic questing or raiding.
Play the lowbie when you just want to chill with the headphones on running solo.

All my characters except one have multiple TRs.
I have one character I've kept at 20+ for a very long time, no TRs but now with several epic reincarnations, just so I always have something to play with other guildies on raid night or random epic questing. Sort of the best of both worlds.

Arianrhod
03-14-2015, 07:42 AM
Kinda depends on your playstyle, I'd guess. For me, I'd wait to TR till I had another character at or close to cap, so I'd have someone to farm with, but if you're the one-character-at-a-time type, that might not work for you. Also may be important to consider what your friends will be doing that you want to do with them. Are they spending their time TR-ing & re-leveling, or running endgame stuff?

Enderoc
03-14-2015, 08:03 AM
Yeah I would do an epic past life at least one if possible before true reincarnating...I would also choose a class in the next life that would benefit most from the epic past life you reincarnate from. Your main you should keep adding to...inventory, tomes, etc. You want to at least have three past lives to max your stats.

nibel
03-14-2015, 09:24 AM
As another casual player, I will tell you that TRing just for TR sake is the best way for you to abandon a character.

Casual players usually (not saying it is your case) don't play for optimal XP gain, or even for fast leveling, but enjoy every quest they do, and level ups are a consequence more than an objective. Just jumping into the TR train might make you miss the old power your character had before, and you will know it will take a few months before the character returns to its former glory.

Instead, I would ask what you expect to have as a long-term objective, and always remember it. Back in 2011, I decided to make my main character a completionist. That was my long term goal. Right now, four years later, I'm at life 10 (Doing fighter, missing sorc/wiz/druid), and I am STILL in no hurry to finish that goal. I know eventually I'll reach it, but I don't want to pressure myself to just turn DDO into another job where I must stress out because my XP potions are running, or because I need to run specific quests in specific ways to get the XP as fast as possible.

So, if you want to TR just to see how it goes, I recommend you to just roll an alt. One with a different playstyle than your main character (if it is a caster do a melee, etc), so that in the end you don't end with two identical characters fighting for the loot you found.

Saekee
03-14-2015, 09:52 AM
Great advice above.

Another option is to define a playstyle and take that character to cap for epic TRs. There are level splits that allow you to make a new playstyle each epic reincarnation via the lesser reincarnation changes of feats and stats. For example, a pure monk can be a weaponized ninja or shuricannon or stunning fist unarmed. One could find similar builds like 9 monk/6 wiz/5 rogue that can be transformed into different approaches so it does not get boring. Having arcane levels can take better advantage of non-melee destinies in Magister also.

travscart
03-14-2015, 11:47 AM
As another casual player, I will tell you that TRing just for TR sake is the best way for you to abandon a character.

Casual players usually (not saying it is your case) don't play for optimal XP gain, or even for fast leveling, but enjoy every quest they do, and level ups are a consequence more than an objective. Just jumping into the TR train might make you miss the old power your character had before, and you will know it will take a few months before the character returns to its former glory.

Instead, I would ask what you expect to have as a long-term objective, and always remember it. Back in 2011, I decided to make my main character a completionist. That was my long term goal. Right now, four years later, I'm at life 10 (Doing fighter, missing sorc/wiz/druid), and I am STILL in no hurry to finish that goal. I know eventually I'll reach it, but I don't want to pressure myself to just turn DDO into another job where I must stress out because my XP potions are running, or because I need to run specific quests in specific ways to get the XP as fast as possible.

So, if you want to TR just to see how it goes, I recommend you to just roll an alt. One with a different playstyle than your main character (if it is a caster do a melee, etc), so that in the end you don't end with two identical characters fighting for the loot you found.

This is great advice. I definitely tend to favor the "poor man's" way. For now I think I'll cap my fighter, and then roll up a rogue, and then grind epic low level quests and gear her out. Also, coupled with my guildship's awesome buffs I think she'll be in good shape. Thanks all!

On a side note, can anyone explain how karma points work? That is very confusing to me.

nibel
03-14-2015, 03:10 PM
On a side note, can anyone explain how karma points work? That is very confusing to me.

Epic Destinies are grouped in Arcane, Divine, Martial and Primal spheres. Currently, each sphere have three EDs, and that is easily visible in the ED map.

Your karma on that sphere is basically the XP you achieved while you were using any of the three EDs of that sphere. And you need 6 million XP in a single sphere to Epic Reincarnate (and be level 28, but that is the easy part).

axel15810
03-14-2015, 06:42 PM

Depends on what you want to do in DDO.

Do you want several characters or just one? Do you like playing other classes or not? Do you enjoy lots of different playsyles or not?

If you enjoy lots of different playstyles and want a variety of characters and classes available, your probably better off rolling alts. If you would rather spend all your DDO time on only 1 build/class, focus on reincarnation.

If you do ETR the only ones in my opinion that are very much worth it for a melee are 3x martial for the 9% doublestrike. I wouldn't kill yourself getting the others, although they of course are nice to have.