PDA

View Full Version : New player looking for advice on server choice

haphazardallure
03-13-2015, 09:28 AM
Hi all,

I'm completely new to the game, installed it last night and am looking forward to playing this weekend. I'm just looking for some opinions from the community about server population and for those of you happy with your server choice, why do you enjoy it over others and does it bring anything special to the table (are there player run events, rping, great server for pugging, guilds that embrace new players, etc)?

Thanks for taking the time to read this, hope to see you guys in game this weekend. :) If I end up enjoying the game, I'll likely spring for 3 months VIP for the $10/month price and so I don't have to purchase individual quest packs.

I'd also like to say thank you to Axel for all the work he has put into his DDO youtube channel. I have watched a lot of the guides and have found them extremely helpful. :)

TrinityTurtle
03-13-2015, 11:10 AM
H'lo! My advice on this topic (and no one not new to the forums will be surprised) don't choose. Roll up different types of toons on different servers, play a bit on all of them and see what you enjoy, and where you find people you enjoy playing with. No one knows where they will click until they explore their options a bit. Before you go 'all in' you have a minute to look around and see what flavor of grass taste greenest.

And when you are trying out Sarlona, there is help available to you. https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/439927-Hey-Newbies!-And-well-anyone-on-Sarlona-who-wants-to-get-or-give-a-little-help-) That thread explains how to find and use the userchat help channel.

And enjoy your time with us!

haphazardallure
03-13-2015, 11:17 AM
Sounds good, thanks for the help channel tip. :)

Lychias
03-13-2015, 11:24 AM
So far I have been on three servers for an extended period of time: Khyber, Sarlona, and Argonessan (Wayfinder honorable mention). I'd suggest Khyber or Sarlona. I find Sarlona to be the most active, but people are fairly insular. The people in guilds are friendly, but otherwise people are out doing their thing and don't have a lot of time to be helpful. Khyber has been the most friendly server in my experience, but seemingly a little less populous. They were the most likely to answer my noobish questions and more patient with me when I didn't know boss mechanics etc.

Enoach
03-13-2015, 11:25 AM
I also agree with the advice of surfing all the servers for a few weeks to search out a groups.

This has advantages for you as a new player.

1. You get a feel for the different cultures on all the servers - They are not all alike
2. You get a feel for the population during the time you will be playing - if you are a weekend player I recommend trying out each server on the weekends
3. Turbine Points will be earned and one of the sweet spots is the first 100 Favor - This could earn you enough TP to buy packs or other things to expand your gaming experience

Good luck finding the right home server for you.

(Also as a note: you may find multiple servers that meet what you are looking for, there is nothing saying you have to stick with one server)

Loromir
03-13-2015, 11:27 AM
Trinity's advice is solid. As for population...Wayfinder is by far the lowest population server. It's not even close. Next lowest is Orien, but it much closer in size to the other servers (Compared to Wayfinder).

All of the other servers are pretty close in population.

I think either Thelanis or Gallanda have a higher European Population than the other servers...someone might correct me.

MisterCanoeHead
03-13-2015, 11:37 AM
Although I play on Thelanis, I would suggest choosing the current default server which I believe is still Sarlona.

You'll have a much better chance at meeting other new players and finding lower level groups. It'll also help you establish a base of friends/acquaintances to play with on a regular basis which will come in handy when the default switches.

Karranor
03-13-2015, 12:08 PM
Ya spending time bouncing around the servers during your prime play times is the way to go. If you are lucky you can group up with some other players that fit your style and personality. Find the people you like to play with and pick that server. Use then use the other server toons to farm Turbine Points. :)

Livmo
03-13-2015, 12:12 PM
Drat I got Ninja Turtled again : ) )

Trinity's advice is great. That would be the best thing to do.

Of course had I landed first I would have shouted from the rooftops Sarlona : ) )

Sehenry03
03-13-2015, 03:10 PM
Drat I got Ninja Turtled again : ) )

Trinity's advice is great. That would be the best thing to do.

Of course had I landed first I would have shouted from the rooftops Sarlona : ) )

What you didn't see was her PM I'm sure she sent promising cake and cookies if he comes to Sarlona...

TrinityTurtle
03-14-2015, 12:32 AM
What you didn't see was her PM I'm sure she sent promising cake and cookies if he comes to Sarlona...

LOL I'm not that nefarious! I merely mentioned that there is a help channel on Sarlona and to find/use it...better than cookies. *winks*

moomooprincess
03-14-2015, 09:41 AM
Trinity's advice is solid. As for population...Wayfinder is by far the lowest population server. It's not even close. Next lowest is Orien, but it much closer in size to the other servers (Compared to Wayfinder).

All of the other servers are pretty close in population.

I think either Thelanis or Gallanda have a higher European Population than the other servers...someone might correct me.

I have played on Argonesson, Cannith, Ghallanda, Sarlona, Thelanis, and Wayfinder. By played I have characters that reached 11th or 12th level on all of them, two servers, Ghallanda and Cannith are my home servers. Currently I am on Thelanis unless there is an event.

History
The servers that survived the server merge of 2007. From my playing and doing some edumacated guessing, there are around 20,000 active players on each server. I have no clear cut data to support this. There was DDORACLE, but that seems to have died because Turbine quit supporting the API. It is possible that due to attrition and most of us realizing that the numbers have been going down, the 20,000 number could be more near 15,000 per server.

Argonesson - survived server merge of 2007
Ghallanda - survived server merge of 2007
Khyber - survived server merge of 2007
Sarlona - survived server merge of 2007
Thelanis - survived server merge of 2007

Game went F2P in late August 2009 for VIPs, and the official F2P was September 2009 for everyone else. Cannith was born in late August 2009, and VIPs went and populated it. I was one of those. Sort of fun to see how players tried to gouge back then for Full Plate +2 for a second level character.

Due to the overwhelming demand of F2P(It was HUGE!!!) a new server was born, Orien.

Still, more demand and the German Players asked for their own server and got it, Wayfinder.

At this time DDO claimed 5,000,000 users and was eventually sold to Time Warner.

My guess on active populations, (some on here will vocally object)

Argonesson, Cannith, Ghallanda, Khyber, Sarlona, Thelanis = 20,000 active players on each one. Are they all on at the same time? No. Only during some massively cool event(Market Tent blowup in 2008, Mabar, Cove)
Orien = 10,000 active players
Wayfinder = 2,500 active players

Before Codemasters died and the European servers went Kaput, some of the European players decided they would go to Thelanis. So, some of them did. Either by rolling up and starting over or paying to do it.

But, Turbine never ever told anyone a secret, that when Turbine brought the European players over, by golly, they were going to Ghallanda!!!

All servers have a good mix of World Players, some more than others.

Europeans? Thelanis and ghallanda. But you will also find them on every server

German? Wayfinder was intended to be the German server, but anyone can roll up there. if you want to experience less lag due to 1/10th the population of any other server, this is the server for you. You will get good at soloing.

Korean? Ghallanda

Chinese? Sarlona

Brazilian? Cannnith or Orien. When DDo went F2P, lots of the very good Brazilian game playing population came to the game.

Khyber or Argonesson? pick your flavor of world population, they are there. But not in heavy concentrations.

English Speaking? every server

travscart
03-15-2015, 10:37 PM
Hi and welcome to DDO! I played back in the day, and recenty came back. I rolled on Sarlona and ended up in a really great guild. Look on the server thread for a good guild that will suit your tastes. That's how I found Unrepentant.

UurlockYgmeov
03-15-2015, 10:51 PM
welcome! and have fun storming the castle! Beware of Kobolds!

Hemholtz
03-28-2015, 10:50 PM
Returning old player with out-of-date builds...(healer bot, Palemaster, assassin trapmonkey with midnight, S&B 'tank' based on epic chimera fang and artificer)...probably should TR all of them and get rid of the junk I'm been leaving in the TR caches....and look for new builds....

Well, like to ask for advice on servers...gonna be moving my toons from Orien to another server, since my play times are irregular and there doesn't seem to be people doing the epic/high level quests at the times I'm around.

My timezone is GMT +8, and play times are kinda like 11pm-1am on weekdays and 3pm onwards on weekends.
(or PST 8am-10am for weekdays and 12noon onwards for weekends)

Any comments or advice? Somehow leaning towards Sarlona

moomooprincess
03-29-2015, 05:42 AM
Returning old player with out-of-date builds...(healer bot, Palemaster, assassin trapmonkey with midnight, S&B 'tank' based on epic chimera fang and artificer)...probably should TR all of them and get rid of the junk I'm been leaving in the TR caches....and look for new builds....

Well, like to ask for advice on servers...gonna be moving my toons from Orien to another server, since my play times are irregular and there doesn't seem to be people doing the epic/high level quests at the times I'm around.

My timezone is GMT +8, and play times are kinda like 11pm-1am on weekdays and 3pm onwards on weekends.
(or PST 8am-10am for weekdays and 12noon onwards for weekends)

Any comments or advice? Somehow leaning towards Sarlona

This player is in the China, Korea, Japan, Australia, Indonesia area if I understand what GMT+8 means.