PDA

View Full Version : inactive names

painkiller3
03-11-2015, 09:38 AM
some other games announce a reset of inactive names every couple of years to free up the Drizzt's and Darthvader's that haven't been used over a period of time. any thought to freeing up names of inactive accounts of over two years? if the player logs in they either change their name or get "Darthvader-1"?

Vellrad
03-11-2015, 09:44 AM
drizzzzts, aragorns, gandalfs, legolases, elminstrels, darthvaders etc should be banned

come up with something original

painkiller3
03-11-2015, 10:01 AM
drizzzzts, aragorns, gandalfs, legolases, elminstrels, darthvaders etc should be banned

i've seen too many zgyr's lately...

JOTMON
03-11-2015, 10:02 AM
some other games announce a reset of inactive names every couple of years to free up the Drizzt's and Darthvader's that haven't been used over a period of time. any thought to freeing up names of inactive accounts of over two years? if the player logs in they either change their name or get "Darthvader-1"?

One issue I see...Why should someone who joined last week have the same access as someone who tried to get that name 7 years ago and couldn't because it was taken..
or every person after that first person....

I would suggest if they do reset old expired names/accounts that the list of names be put up for some sort of a bidding process.. longest continuous term player getting first access to the name..
or
Have an auction and let the highest bidder pay for the name.

Mirilan
03-11-2015, 10:32 AM

+1

Gljosh
03-11-2015, 10:51 AM

Would DizarthVadyrz be original enough?

Enoach
03-11-2015, 10:56 AM
One of the things I applaud Turbine for doing is not purging inactive accounts. This allows for players to return where they left off no matter how long it has been.

I'm sorry you didn't get the name you wanted, but maybe now it is time to be creative.

painkiller3
03-11-2015, 10:58 AM
I'm sorry you didn't get the name you wanted, but maybe now it is time to be creative.

i've been here since 2009 and have all the names i wanted...i saw that on a different forum and thought it might be a nice thing for new users. no need to be a jerk

Enoach
03-11-2015, 11:00 AM
i've been here since 2009 and have all the names i wanted...i saw that on a different forum and thought it might be a nice thing for new users. no need to be a jerk

Was not trying to be a jerk and apologize if I came off that way to you. I simply like Turbines policy of keeping accounts even if they have been inactive since 2006.

Just as a note... I've been playing since the summer of 2006. The name I wanted for my character Enoch was already taken way back then, so I opted for the alternate spelling of Enoach. This name issue has been around for a long time.

FranOhmsford
03-11-2015, 11:00 AM

2 Years may be a bit short but DDO is closing on 10 years old now so maybe it's time to reset the names of characters who haven't been logged on for at least 5 years.
Especially as with F2P DDO had a massive influx of players who tried it for a day or two then left!

Actual Famous names are supposed to be not allowed anyway and can be reported {whether the GMs do anything or not is a different story}.
BUT How exactly are Turbine gonna ban every single possible misspelling of every single famous name out there?

One thing that annoys me is characters with names that are just a random sequence of consonants - Should the Devs ban that as unoriginal too?

One issue I see...Why should someone who joined last week have the same access as someone who tried to get that name 7 years ago and couldn't because it was taken..
or every person after that first person....

I would suggest if they do reset old expired names/accounts that the list of names be put up for some sort of a bidding process.. longest continuous term player getting first access to the name..
or
Have an auction and let the highest bidder pay for the name.

You must be joking?

Why should someone who has multiple characters already get the opportunity to name a new alt that they may only use as an Elite Opener, Haggle Bot or Mule Toon over the Newbie who wants that name for their FIRST and MAIN Character?

Why should getting a name come down to how much spare cash you have?

Personally I just want Surnames to count towards the uniqueness of a Character's name so that Khorvaire and Cormyr stop being nations where no two people have the same first name!

I'd also like for Surnames to be added to Guild, Friends and Who lists to make it easier to know who someone is - A whole lot of my characters for example have one of two Surnames - Ohmsford and D'Alderaan.

painkiller3
03-11-2015, 11:03 AM
Was not trying to be a jerk and apologize if I came off that way to you. I simply like Turbines policy of keeping accounts even if they have been inactive since 2006.

sorry i took it personal and i shouldn't have. my idea was to reset the names not the accounts.

FranOhmsford
03-11-2015, 11:07 AM
One of the things I applaud Turbine for doing is not purging inactive accounts. This allows for players to return where they left off no matter how long it has been.

No-one's asking for ACCOUNTS to be PURGED.

Just for the names to become available - If the original player comes back then there's a chance his/her name won't even have been taken anyway and it can be reassigned straight back to them as they log on!
OR
If that name has been taken they simply get a FREE Re-name!

How creative can you get when there's 10 years worth of already taken names?

P.S. calling your character xhmkfhtrrbn {I so hope no-one's done that exact combination?} ISN'T creative - It's lazy!

Coming up with a 3 letter name in 2006 and adding S, SS, SSS, SSSS, SSSSS, SSSSSS, Z, ZZ, ZZZ, ZZZZ etc. as you create more alts also ISN'T creative! - It shows you can't be bothered to come up with something new!

Oh and makes it so that someone who actually wanted to name themselves Max for example can't because someone else has taken that name AND all possible misspellings for his/her alts!

Enoach
03-11-2015, 11:10 AM
sorry i took it personal and i shouldn't have. my idea was to reset the names not the accounts.

For this you need to put yourself into the shoes of the person that just lost their character name because they were inactive for some set period of time. I know people that have returned after 5 years of absence from the game. It could be a source of frustration for a returning player to have to rename some or all of their characters. I think Turbine made a better choice by not doing this and potentially alienating a group of returning players.

Phoenix-daBard
03-11-2015, 11:18 AM
Actual Famous names are supposed to be not allowed anyway and can be reported {whether the GMs do anything or not is a different story}.
They do force name changes to names that are identified as TOS violations.

Personally I just want Surnames to count towards the uniqueness of a Character's name so that Khorvaire and Cormyr stop being nations where no two people have the same first name!
I don't often agree with Fran but ^^^this^^^ +100. I would go further and have choosing a surname as part of account creation and all your characters get that surname.

Enoach
03-11-2015, 11:19 AM
No-one's asking for ACCOUNTS to be PURGED.

Just for the names to become available - If the original player comes back then there's a chance his/her name won't even have been taken anyway and it can be reassigned straight back to them as they log on!
OR
If that name has been taken they simply get a FREE Re-name!

P.S. calling your character xhmkfhtrrbn {I so hope no-one's done that exact combination?} ISN'T creative - It's lazy!

Coming up with a 3 letter name in 2006 and adding S, SS, SSS, SSSS, SSSSS, SSSSSS, Z, ZZ, ZZZ, ZZZZ etc. as you create more alts also ISN'T creative! - It shows you can't be bothered to come up with something new!

Oh and makes it so that someone who actually wanted to name themselves Max for example can't because someone else has taken that name AND all possible misspellings for his/her alts!

Sorry I just don't think this is a good idea to take names even from inactive accounts as it can hurt the returning market. For those that remember the server merges and the angst over name ownership they might understand a little better why I think that allowing even inactive accounts to keep their character names is a good practice for Turbine.

As for the 3 letter name and different letter counts in most cases this was a player getting past the issue that you didn't have an account relationship in the name, there was no way of knowing right off that two different characters were the same player. This gave them a way to create a Player Recognition. Personally I opted for the Surname myself, but each player had their own way of dealing with this.

Of course the funniest name I saw (Years ago) was Qwerty. I have not seen that character in a long time but it was both funny to me as well as possibly considered lazy by your standards.

FranOhmsford
03-11-2015, 11:19 AM
For this you need to put yourself into the shoes of the person that just lost their character name because they were inactive for some set period of time. I know people that have returned after 5 years of absence from the game. It could be a source of frustration for a returning player to have to rename some or all of their characters. I think Turbine made a better choice by not doing this and potentially alienating a group of returning players.

Why is it that in every thread that even mentions this suggestion someone will state they KNOW people who've returned after a ridiculously long time away?

I simply don't believe there can be that many people who've done this!

A Handful perhaps at most!

And IF I hadn't played DDO in 5 Years I'm pretty certain I wouldn't even be able to REMEMBER my Character names never mind CARE that I had to re-name them!

FranOhmsford
03-11-2015, 11:32 AM
Sorry I just don't think this is a good idea to take names even from inactive accounts as it can hurt the returning market. For those that remember the server merges and the angst over name ownership they might understand a little better why I think that allowing even inactive accounts to keep their character names is a good practice for Turbine.

It was good practice at first but after 10 years it becomes increasingly more of a Problem than a Solution!

As for Server Merges - That's a completely different issue where Two people actually have had the same name and possibly for a long period of time - Those People both feel they have a RIGHT to that name!

I've also stated again and again that in the case of Future Server Merges the Devs should do something about naming conventions so as to alleviate this issue:

They could:
1) Add "of Thelanis or "of Sarlona" etc. monikers to the ends of each name - These could even be HIDDEN so as to not annoy people who didn't want to be known as Milkybarkid of Wayfinder {Again I so hope that name isn't taken!}

2) Allow Surnames to become part of the unique name so as to make the possibility of two players with the exact same name much smaller!

3) Allow the Player's actual Username to count towards uniqueness of character names and therefore allowing MULTIPLE Paul's, Guillaume's and Mohammed's {can I even type that name?} on EVERY server!

Or a combination of any or all of the above!

As for the 3 letter name and different letter counts in most cases this was a player getting past the issue that you didn't have an account relationship in the name, there was no way of knowing right off that two different characters were the same player. This gave them a way to create a Player Recognition. Personally I opted for the Surname myself, but each player had their own way of dealing with this.

I know - I opted for surnames myself!

But surnames don't even SHOW UP to other players which is a major cause of this issue!

Of course the funniest name I saw (Years ago) was Qwerty. I have not seen that character in a long time but it was both funny to me as well as possibly considered lazy by your standards.

Qwerty
1) has a vowel whereas I stated ALL consonants.
2) actually works as a name. Especially as it ends in a Y - Something many many names do in real life!
3) Rolls off the tongue - Unlike chgkrtlmmmb for example {Again no offense meant to anyone who's actually called their character chgkrtlmmmb.}.

FranOhmsford
03-11-2015, 11:36 AM
They do force name changes to names that are identified as TOS violations.

Sometimes - Not always!

I would go further and have choosing a surname as part of account creation and all your characters get that surname.

This would be even worse!

My suggestion would be that first name AND surname would count TOGETHER towards the uniqueness of a character name!

Just because I have Fran Ohmsford doesn't mean I don't want someone else to be able to name THEIR character Rob Ohmsford!

Just because I have a character named Annatalisa D'Alderaan doesn't mean I'd be unhappy to see Carla D'Alderaan running around Cannith!

Oh and why should I be FORCED to have ALL my characters have the EXACT SAME Surname?
Molineux for instance doesn't even HAVE a Surname and doesn't WANT one {He's Warforged!}

Enoach
03-11-2015, 12:44 PM
Why is it that in every thread that even mentions this suggestion someone will state they KNOW people who've returned after a ridiculously long time away?

I simply don't believe there can be that many people who've done this!

...!

In this case because I actually do KNOW people that played 5 years ago and I was able to get them to come back at some of the Major changes, some stayed and some didn't. Of those that stayed it was because the changes were what they were looking for when they left.

Personally I think the headache this could cause verse how many of these sought after names are actually on inactive accounts may simply not be as worth while as some may think.

We simply disagree that this is needed at this point of time even with DDO just celebrating its 9th anniversary.

JOTMON
03-11-2015, 01:52 PM
You must be joking?

Why should someone who has multiple characters already get the opportunity to name a new alt that they may only use as an Elite Opener, Haggle Bot or Mule Toon over the Newbie who wants that name for their FIRST and MAIN Character?

Why should getting a name come down to how much spare cash you have?

Why not, if 7 years ago I tried to get Drizz't and it wasn't available so I created Drizzzz't.. why should you who came along 5 years ago be able to get it before me.
It wasn't available when I tried to get it and now it is.. why shoud you as a newer player be able to bump in front of me in the lineup for names.

I could then give up my stupid variation that I ended up with and someone else could get that one.
Why should I be stuck with a alternative derivative that I didn't want either. and some newbie picks up a name that I wanted to get from Day 1.

Whether I use it on my main or one of my 40 alts is irrelevant.

Uska
03-11-2015, 02:25 PM
No just be original and make name I do new ones all time with zero trouble

cdbd3rd
03-11-2015, 03:14 PM
... any thought to freeing up names of inactive accounts of over two years? ...

No.
Not 2 years.
Not 5 years. (tho I'll admit 5 years did make me stop and ponder before staying with my 'no'.)

Thankfully, that also the last official stand from the Powers on the topic as well.

FranOhmsford
03-11-2015, 04:27 PM
Why not, if 7 years ago I tried to get Drizz't and it wasn't available so I created Drizzzz't.. why should you who came along 5 years ago be able to get it before me.
It wasn't available when I tried to get it and now it is.. why shoud you as a newer player be able to bump in front of me in the lineup for names.

I could then give up my stupid variation that I ended up with and someone else could get that one.
Why should I be stuck with a alternative derivative that I didn't want either. and some newbie picks up a name that I wanted to get from Day 1.

Whether I use it on my main or one of my 40 alts is irrelevant.

1) https://www.ddo.com/en/dungeons-dragons-online-code-conduct-gb pretty clearly states that Drizz't and ALL misspellings of said name would be not allowed in the first place

Proper names and places or close facsimiles thereof, from the story characters or non-player characters (NPCs) introduced in the fiction of Dungeons&Dragons Online.
Fantasy or non-fantasy names from popular culture or media
and

Misspelled variations or homonyms of any of the above rules.

2) Who's to say whether you really wanted that name 5 years ago or whether it becoming available now is what motivates you to want it?

Possibly you could say that VIPs should gain 1st choice to any names that become available {a 3 day window}
Premiums could then get their chance {1 week after the first 3 days have passed}
Finally anyone incl. F2Ps could take one of the reclaimed names.

The Devs might even get a few more 1 Month VIPs and a few more F2Ps buying TP out of this.

P.S. This means that you can actually report all those Drizzzzzzt's and Drizszszt's you see ingame!

JOTMON
03-11-2015, 04:55 PM
1) https://www.ddo.com/en/dungeons-dragons-online-code-conduct-gb pretty clearly states that Drizz't and ALL misspellings of said name would be not allowed in the first place

and

2) Who's to say whether you really wanted that name 5 years ago or whether it becoming available now is what motivates you to want it?

Possibly you could say that VIPs should gain 1st choice to any names that become available {a 3 day window}
Premiums could then get their chance {1 week after the first 3 days have passed}
Finally anyone incl. F2Ps could take one of the reclaimed names.

The Devs might even get a few more 1 Month VIPs and a few more F2Ps buying TP out of this.

P.S. This means that you can actually report all those Drizzzzzzt's and Drizszszt's you see ingame!

really... my imaginary example of a name is what you focussed in on and not the point of my post..
What a waste of a thread.

Faltout
03-11-2015, 06:22 PM
10 years of already taken names doesn't seem too much. Imagine all the combinations of letters that could produce a nicely sounding name. And now imagine the amount of people that are not creative at all in those 10 years so they never took away any serious names.

I find it extremely easy to produce a name. I can even get it to sound the way I want it to (soft, harsh, elegant, etc.)

Braegan
03-11-2015, 06:36 PM
I support a revisit to the official policy of never purging names.

Mostly because I hear it (and understand it as a reasonable complaint) when server merges are brought up as a topic.

I also support servers being merged.

But because I created Braegan on Xoriat and what is now Thelanis gets merged with another server and some other guy named his character Braegan 5 minutes before I did but hasn't played in 9 years and has no desire to...it's somehow fair for him to keep the spelling and force me with a rename? I don't think so.

For every one old time player that comes back many, many more do not. I started this game 9 years ago with 4 RL friends. They all quit. Three of the four when the cap was still level 10. The last quit shortly after. I stay in contact with them I know for a fact they are never coming back and their names are just locked up.

Edit to add: I support this, not because I find it difficult for me to come up with names. But because my characters already have the names, have been known by those names for YEARS now. The thought of losing my characters name to some lock up from someone who isn't even playing the game anymore is a tough pill to take.

dontmater
03-11-2015, 06:50 PM
i do think if they ever do anything about this they should be preparing for server merges. at least then they can kill 2 birds (damn name takken) 2 byrds with one stone.

taking away someones name is lame, but if they do it with class i think people would be ok with it

Kwyjibo
03-11-2015, 07:24 PM
really... my imaginary example of a name is what you focused in on and not the point of my post..
What a waste of a thread.
Honestly, I was surprised you even tried.

JOTMON
03-12-2015, 07:35 AM
Honestly, I was surprised you even tried.

Touche

FranOhmsford
03-12-2015, 09:00 AM
really... my imaginary example of a name is what you focussed in on and not the point of my post..

No - I gave 2 points not 1!

First - The name you chose was not imaginary, was not original {which is one of the main points brought up in these threads by people against any sort of name purging.} AND would by rights be disallowed anyway - Which brings me back to my point about the GMs not always enforcing those rules!

Second - Your insistence that you wanted that name 5 years ago and couldn't get it so you should have first choice now is completely subjective and not provable!

Finally I stated that I was willing to compromise and gave possibilities for said compromise!

MisterCanoeHead
03-12-2015, 11:07 AM
I definitely think there should be a cut-off time for name use on inactive accounts.

I just don't think it's in the cards anymore as far as resource allocation.

Hopefully all the new players to the game enjoy having to name their Character Hyssiticliouslyisis.

SirValentine
03-12-2015, 03:44 PM
Would DizarthVadyrz be original enough?

It's already taken.

Mirilan
03-12-2015, 04:19 PM
http://oilersnation.com/uploads/Image/Just%20win.jpg

Seriously though I support the taking of inactive names, this is because I create characters in DDO based on characters I rolled up in D&D P&P. So, obviously it's a bit of a disappointment that my once thought of as originally sounding name isn't that original, but more importantly it's been taken by someone hasn't hasn't played DDO in five years. Having said that though of course it would have to be a reasonable length of time before a name should be considered inactive, in terms of years.

Faltout
03-12-2015, 06:43 PM
Ok, let's test this:

Let's say they did this and wiped the names of old players. What name would you take that is now taken? I'm sure that in every answer I can find an equally nice name. It's Drizzt? I'll find you Drizzzt (because Drizzt is not nice). Is it Velnoran? (me) Take Valloren. Is it Hertsung? (dunno if it's even taken) Take Tarshang.

Why implement a grief mechanism (for someone that may return from 2006) to accommodate a small population that wants this exact name because it is his/her P&P original named character?

And saying that the only names available right now are like gihtyofiteanlyghis is just hilarious. I was even amazed that so simple names like Bownard (ranger) or Tukslam (rogue) were not taken.

Uska
03-12-2015, 10:13 PM
I definitely think there should be a cut-off time for name use on inactive accounts.

I just don't think it's in the cards anymore as far as resource allocation.

Hopefully all the new players to the game enjoy having to name their Character Hyssiticliouslyisis.

You don't have to make such inane names it's still almost as easy as breathing to come up with decent names

Qhualor
03-12-2015, 10:39 PM
I have to use a fantasy character name generator to find names not taken. you would be surprised how many already are. since DDO is around 10 years old, they could start with all names from back then and every year that goes by do the same thing. I think 10 years is plenty long enough. if someone does happen to log back on after a 10 year break, they get their name back and offer a free name change to the player that took it.

Faltout
03-13-2015, 06:45 AM
I have to use a fantasy character name generator to find names not taken.
And where's the problem in that? I don't have to. And neither do many other players.

Uska
03-13-2015, 07:53 AM
I have to use a fantasy character name generator to find names not taken. you would be surprised how many already are. since DDO is around 10 years old, they could start with all names from back then and every year that goes by do the same thing. I think 10 years is plenty long enough. if someone does happen to log back on after a 10 year break, they get their name back and offer a free name change to the player that took it.

If someone has to use a generator to get a name they are still getting a name they shouldnt be able to steal another name just because someone else thought it up first. I still make new characters all the time and have no trouble getting a new name.

Qhualor
03-13-2015, 08:45 AM
And where's the problem in that? I don't have to. And neither do many other players.

Its not a problem to go to use a character name generator, but all the names I pick that I think are unique are always taken but I never see these names anywhere in the game. The problem is for some players is that they try to pick names that no one else might have and just give up by spitting out a name with zzz's and xxx's out of frustration. I don't think its a big deal to clear inactive names from 10 years ago.

Mirilan
03-13-2015, 08:55 AM
I don't think its a big deal to clear inactive names from 10 years ago.

Agreed, furthermore they would find their characters have been deleted, like I did. I think possibly due to something like a server merge I don't know why it happened. Does that bother me? No not at all, I'd rather someone take the name who is actively playing the game.

Uska
03-13-2015, 08:56 AM
Its not a problem to go to use a character name generator, but all the names I pick that I think are unique are always taken but I never see these names anywhere in the game. The problem is for some players is that they try to pick names that no one else might have and just give up by spitting out a name with zzz's and xxx's out of frustration. I don't think its a big deal to clear inactive names from 10 years ago.

Maybe names from the first year or they could go by how many times the character has been logged in if the character was only used once ever it might be ok but even then I would be hesitant

Faltout
03-13-2015, 11:08 AM
Its not a problem to go to use a character name generator, but all the names I pick that I think are unique are always taken but I never see these names anywhere in the game.
So you want to erase the existing names so the next time you pick a "unique" name it will actually be unique? Wow... If the name already exists, it means it's not unique. No name purge will change that. And there's always the chance that a name you create will be thought by someone else too. Small chance, but there it is.
Also, don't forget that your name creation may be influenced by novels, movies and such that others will have seen as well.

And what does the fact that you don't see those in game prove? Have you ever seen my characters in game? I know I have seen you (in a GoP run) but who knows how many other players that have the name you wanted exist out of your circles?

The problem is for some players is that they try to pick names that no one else might have and just give up by spitting out a name with zzz's and xxx's out of frustration. I don't think its a big deal to clear inactive names from 10 years ago.
The players that spit zzz and xxx in frustration were probably not that creative in the first place. Otherwise they would have succeeded in name creation the second try.

Mirilan
03-13-2015, 11:43 AM
Not really relevant to this thread but I once saw someone use, I presume, their real life name for a character which I found mildly amusing.

Qhualor
03-13-2015, 12:20 PM
So you want to erase the existing names so the next time you pick a "unique" name it will actually be unique? Wow... If the name already exists, it means it's not unique. No name purge will change that. And there's always the chance that a name you create will be thought by someone else too. Small chance, but there it is.
Also, don't forget that your name creation may be influenced by novels, movies and such that others will have seen as well.

And what does the fact that you don't see those in game prove? Have you ever seen my characters in game? I know I have seen you (in a GoP run) but who knows how many other players that have the name you wanted exist out of your circles?

The players that spit zzz and xxx in frustration were probably not that creative in the first place. Otherwise they would have succeeded in name creation the second try.

inactive names from 10 years ago, yes. I would say its a pretty good guess if someone hasn't logged on in 10 years they wont be coming back. I also made a suggestion that if they did log back in that they would be able to get their name back and offer a free name change to the player that took it.

it proves in 5 1/2 years I haven't seen any of the names running around the game anywhere that I tried to pick that were taken.

I don't doubt that some that use zzz and xxx didn't take the time to try to be creative, but than I see names that are just letters thrown together to make a word. sometimes it could be just easier by using zzz and xxx to get a real name that they want or because they are tired of spending a long time trying to figure out a name to use.

something else ive been thinking about too to help people pick names. other places do this so I know it can be possible. you type a name in and if its taken, a drop down window with suggested names appears that are not taken.

another thing that could really help is to improve banking so that there is no need to create a bank toon taking up more names.

Karranor
03-13-2015, 12:20 PM
I've liked how many games are doing it now where there can be a million characters of the same name. They are just tied to the account name. So like Meriki@karranor. I don't know exactly how Turbine's DB is set up for DDO, but have worked on others. I assuming it can't be that bad/hard to remap names and accounts. Or more specifically, combine them.

It just seems there are always so many threads and issues with names. After so many years of so many people logging in and "claiming" them. It is a total pain.

You don't really want to remove old account names because they might come back. You don't want to alienate someone who had to or wanted to, take a long break.

Aliss7
03-13-2015, 02:04 PM
The last time this topic came up, people said turbine officially will not purge names. period. I have no idea if this is really true or not... _If_ it is true than that's that.

The best turbine could do is make a change of stance for all newer names created from this point onward with a clear set of "rules" for name purging. I doubt that it's worth the time.

Faltout
03-13-2015, 03:20 PM
inactive names from 10 years ago, yes. I would say its a pretty good guess if someone hasn't logged on in 10 years they wont be coming back. I also made a suggestion that if they did log back in that they would be able to get their name back and offer a free name change to the player that took it.
Not possible. How exactly are you going to instantly do all that the moment the long gone player comes back? Unless you propose a GM to suddenly kick a player in the middle of a Mark of Death raid so he can relog and make the name change because there's another old player waiting in line to get his name back.
I can't even begin to describe how insane this proposal is. There are 2 possible solutions: Either purge the character along with the name (normal way) or force the returning player to rename his character (although you can't force someone to reincarnate so I don't even know how that's possible).

And all this fuss and core code changing why? For absolutely no good reason.

it proves in 5 1/2 years I haven't seen any of the names running around the game anywhere that I tried to pick that were taken.
Have you looked?

I don't doubt that some that use zzz and xxx didn't take the time to try to be creative, but than I see names that are just letters thrown together to make a word. sometimes it could be just easier by using zzz and xxx to get a real name that they want or because they are tired of spending a long time trying to figure out a name to use.
Like? If those names exist they are on the same creativity level as the zzz and xxx. What's your point?

another thing that could really help is to improve banking so that there is no need to create a bank toon taking up more names.
Faltout_bank_mule1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/...
duh?
Am I taking up precious names?

Qhualor
03-13-2015, 03:48 PM
Not possible. How exactly are you going to instantly do all that the moment the long gone player comes back? Unless you propose a GM to suddenly kick a player in the middle of a Mark of Death raid so he can relog and make the name change because there's another old player waiting in line to get his name back.
I can't even begin to describe how insane this proposal is. There are 2 possible solutions: Either purge the character along with the name (normal way) or force the returning player to rename his character (although you can't force someone to reincarnate so I don't even know how that's possible).

And all this fuss and core code changing why? For absolutely no good reason.

Have you looked?

Like? If those names exist they are on the same creativity level as the zzz and xxx. What's your point?

Faltout_bank_mule1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/...
duh?
Am I taking up precious names?

it was a suggestion. its not up to me or you to say how it works. let the devs figure that part out.

its called quality of life. little things actually matter to some people sometimes. recycling names that have gone unused for 10 years for players that will actually use them is a good thing.

have I looked? what a silly question to ask.

im beginning to think you are reaching for an argument on this one. why so uptight over names that have not been logged in for 10 years? today might be the day they log back in?

I have 2 bank toons holding names- Priska and Nimba. never heard of anyone doing the same thing because good names are hard to come by?

Mirilan
03-13-2015, 05:04 PM
I don't recollect when this was but I've been around DDO since when the classes had introduction challenges to the game and you had to run a quest to actually get off the docks and in to the rest of Stormreach, however long ago that may be I am aware of character loss. If I was making an on the spot decision on this I'd say after the player hasn't logged in for over three years delete the character (freeing up server resources) and the name becomes up for grabs for someone actively playing the game and who wants to use that name, to me this sounds reasonable and it sounds fair.

Vellrad
03-13-2015, 05:18 PM
http://www.thenoobcomic.com/headquarters/comics/00003.jpg

Faltout
03-13-2015, 06:50 PM
it was a suggestion. its not up to me or you to say how it works. let the devs figure that part out.
I'm not saying that to the devs. I'm saying that to you in lack of response from the devs (or too polite a response to understand why it won't be done). Also, a poster above said that the devs have already said no to name purge.

its called quality of life. little things actually matter to some people sometimes. recycling names that have gone unused for 10 years for players that will actually use them is a good thing.
No, it's not called quality of life. It's called insane expectations. Besides, the chance of such a change affecting you is minimal and totally random. There could already be such a mechanism and you wouldn't know about it because it doesn't affect you at all. Names will still be reserved because the ones you want are active.

I guess it's time to address that "10 years" argument. From what I've heard many people have lost their accounts and characters within those years. What makes you think that you're not talking about 5 years instead?

have I looked? what a silly question to ask.
Yes, have you looked? Have you recorded the who list on Khyber for 6 months 24/7 to see whether the name you want shows up? You're arguing for this point based on a speculation. A vague "I have not seen...". This may be true, it may be not. But you're are making this to be true to support your argument that it will actually improve your game.

im beginning to think you are reaching for an argument on this one. why so uptight over names that have not been logged in for 10 years? today might be the day they log back in?
1. General interest in DDO. Name purge is not a selling point.
2. Forum arguments. I pick my fights so I can have fun arguing. I won't go to a thread that I agree with unless it's important.
That said, my arguments are valid. I just have no other personal interest on the matter.

I have 2 bank toons holding names- Priska and Nimba. never heard of anyone doing the same thing because good names are hard to come by?Priska and Nimba are considered good names? Suit yourself :D Personally Nimba reminds me of Nimble, Simba (a famous lion) and Priska a Russian woman.
Good names are hard to create and so not taken.

Qhualor
03-13-2015, 07:14 PM
I'm not saying that to the devs. I'm saying that to you in lack of response from the devs (or too polite a response to understand why it won't be done). Also, a poster above said that the devs have already said no to name purge.

No, it's not called quality of life. It's called insane expectations. Besides, the chance of such a change affecting you is minimal and totally random. There could already be such a mechanism and you wouldn't know about it because it doesn't affect you at all. Names will still be reserved because the ones you want are active.

I guess it's time to address that "10 years" argument. From what I've heard many people have lost their accounts and characters within those years. What makes you think that you're not talking about 5 years instead?

Yes, have you looked? Have you recorded the who list on Khyber for 6 months 24/7 to see whether the name you want shows up? You're arguing for this point based on a speculation. A vague "I have not seen...". This may be true, it may be not. But you're are making this to be true to support your argument that it will actually improve your game.

1. General interest in DDO. Name purge is not a selling point.
2. Forum arguments. I pick my fights so I can have fun arguing. I won't go to a thread that I agree with unless it's important.
That said, my arguments are valid. I just have no other personal interest on the matter.

Priska and Nimba are considered good names? Suit yourself :D Personally Nimba reminds me of Nimble, Simba (a famous lion) and Priska a Russian woman.
Good names are hard to create and so not taken.

I know you are saying it to me. im saying its up to the devs to work the details out and neither one of us know how it would work. all I did was make a suggestion. I made a couple other suggestions too. any response to those?

its not called quality of life to recycle unused 10 year old names so they can be used by active players? what DO you consider a quality life than? you have no clue if there is such a mechanic available and just reaching to dismiss my point. if you did than there would be no further discussion.

you have never heard of Turbine changing their minds? they do it all the time. if purging 10 year old inactive names is still a no, whats wrong with a drop down window suggesting names that are not taken? you are focused on one thing here.

5 years? no im talking about 10 years. im pretty sure Turbine can tell the difference between a 10 year old account and a 5 year old account.

no smarty pants, I haven't looked at the Who list 24/7/365 over the past 5 1/2 years. the odds are you would come across a name you wanted in that amount of time at least once.

never said your arguments are not valid, but you are being very dismissive with weak reasonings.

at least Priska and Nimba are actual names that can be pronounced and don't have zzz and xxx. what kind of name is Faltout? :D

Enoach
03-13-2015, 08:26 PM
You know the more I think about this whole name thing the more I actually think that the Name is used more as a Key (for Database linkage)

You need the name to Send Mail or Send Tell.

If you TR or ITR with stuff in the AH/SHAH you will still get a return of item or payout, but one of the warnings is that once you TR/ITR/ER/LR your character cannot be recovered.

While it might be something members of the community are looking for, it might not be as straight forward a process as allowing these names. It might require these character names to be changed (and then to What?) which might be a manual process of discovery. It might simply be less of a pain to not expire names even if the account never becomes active again.

All this is speculation on my part, but based on my experience of what I do for a living which is come in and find problems with systems and help them resolve so they can move on to other parts of developing software.

Faltout
03-13-2015, 10:38 PM
what DO you consider a quality life than?
Something that will actually change the quality of your life. What I'm arguing above is that even if the devs went to great lengths (*) to implement that, the chances of that changing your quality of life are slim.

Great lengths means, as mentioned above, that everything is tied to the names and the whole game works fine on the assumption that names never change (or at least they don't change while other things are depending on them). Changing your name while playing is not possible (unless you have a god above you that manages all the little details).

never said your arguments are not valid, but you are being very dismissive with weak reasonings.
And you're supportive with weak reasonings :D Only valid reason I've heard for name change is that "It was my P&P character's name and I always name my toons after them" which is pretty weak by itself.

at least Priska and Nimba are actual names that can be pronounced and don't have zzz and xxx. what kind of name is Faltout? :D
It's a surname :p
and with no zzz or xxx in it :D
Velnoran, Erithanar and Bronhim are my Khyber names (not very proud of my other server names - favor toons - but at least they are original too). Each with a different feel to it.

Marupal
03-14-2015, 10:36 AM
You know the more I think about this whole name thing the more I actually think that the Name is used more as a Key (for Database linkage)

It doesn't look like that is the case. If someone on your friends list uses a name change token, your friends list will update to the new name.

Uska
03-14-2015, 11:27 AM
I've liked how many games are doing it now where there can be a million characters of the same name. They are just tied to the account name. So like Meriki@karranor. I don't know exactly how Turbine's DB is set up for DDO, but have worked on others. I assuming it can't be that bad/hard to remap names and accounts. Or more specifically, combine them.

It just seems there are always so many threads and issues with names. After so many years of so many people logging in and "claiming" them. It is a total pain.

You don't really want to remove old account names because they might come back. You don't want to alienate someone who had to or wanted to, take a long break.

Names like you mention would complicate tells and mail