PDA

View Full Version : Great Axe Pure Barbarian Build;Strength problem

boby84z9
03-04-2015, 03:14 PM
I have had a bit of trouble creating barbarians, now it is my favorite class, the surge of strength from the rage is lovely, but I have always been lost when it comes to getting a high amount of strength. I've only gotten to maximum 70 strength, and I'm always lost in the dust when I see people with these 80-100 strength builds easily, and I really want to work my way into that, after playing DDO for quite a few years, and being a D&D player myself, it is quite awkward not knowing how to do this.

I have upgraded the Barb Rage as much as I can, frenzy, orcish rage, (I am a horc) death frenzy, primal scream, titans grips, proper gearing, and I still do not have that big amount of strength. Can anyone explain to me how this works? I am really lost.

I have all the other proper parts of a barbarian, I have good self healing and a maximum 1700 health, not including my blood tribute I use every now and then, I'm able to run Fall of Truth on EH in just under five hours with great difficulty.

Holybird
03-04-2015, 03:26 PM
Key aspect of those high str( I mean awesomely high) is Divine Might. It adds your Cha mod to Str score, so it gives easily 10-15 Str

unbongwah
03-04-2015, 03:32 PM
The super-high STR barb builds probably took a FvS or cleric splash for Div Might. Some people do barb 18 / druid 1 / cleric or FvS 1 which lets them add Ram's Might for another +2 STR +2 dmg; downside is you're restricted to non-metal armor, but fortunately that includes all dragonscale armors.

But unless it's been nerfed lately, Storm's Eye is probably more DPS than the extra STR you get from these splashes, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Qhualor
03-04-2015, 03:37 PM
I have had a bit of trouble creating barbarians, now it is my favorite class, the surge of strength from the rage is lovely, but I have always been lost when it comes to getting a high amount of strength. I've only gotten to maximum 70 strength, and I'm always lost in the dust when I see people with these 80-100 strength builds easily, and I really want to work my way into that, after playing DDO for quite a few years, and being a D&D player myself, it is quite awkward not knowing how to do this.

I have upgraded the Barb Rage as much as I can, frenzy, orcish rage, (I am a horc) death frenzy, primal scream, titans grips, proper gearing, and I still do not have that big amount of strength. Can anyone explain to me how this works? I am really lost.

I have all the other proper parts of a barbarian, I have good self healing and a maximum 1700 health, not including my blood tribute I use every now and then, I'm able to run Fall of Truth on EH in just under five hours with great difficulty.

70 strength is nothing to sneeze at, but im assuming you are figuring in clickies like Titans and Primal Scream? those are difficult to figure in because you cant use those while raged and better to use between fights. Titans will last no longer than 3 minutes so you will want to make sure you are putting them to good use like boss fights or something. what is your highest strength tome? you also gain higher strength the lower your hp are as a Horc. that's as much as +8 at 40% or lower, but that's dangerous to do.

having the highest strength score isn't the be all end all when it comes to dps. theres lots of enhancements that will increase your damage plus investing in seeker and deadly. judging the right time to use certain enhancement clickies when mobs are tripped, stunned, their back to you or whatever can help increase that damage as well.

Enoach
03-04-2015, 03:55 PM
Others have pointed out using the Cleric/FvS splash to access the charisma via Divine Might, which requires AP as well as a charisma investment to achieve

One way to help figure out where you can get more Strength is to outline where you are currently getting your strength, such as starting Strength, Tomes, Level ups, and enhancements as well as gear available.

Other things to consider is clickies such as from Titan's grip which give a +6 psionic bonus as well as Madstone Rage (Madstone Boots). Race is also important as it outlines availability of Enhancements or Racial Features such as with the Half-Orc. Additionally Yugoloth Potions.

Outline what you currently have to make up the 70, plus anything you have to do a temporary boost and we can see if you are missing anything.

boby84z9
03-04-2015, 04:58 PM
Others have pointed out using the Cleric/FvS splash to access the charisma via Divine Might, which requires AP as well as a charisma investment to achieve

One way to help figure out where you can get more Strength is to outline where you are currently getting your strength, such as starting Strength, Tomes, Level ups, and enhancements as well as gear available.

Other things to consider is clickies such as from Titan's grip which give a +6 psionic bonus as well as Madstone Rage (Madstone Boots). Race is also important as it outlines availability of Enhancements or Racial Features such as with the Half-Orc. Additionally Yugoloth Potions.

Outline what you currently have to make up the 70, plus anything you have to do a temporary boost and we can see if you are missing anything.

This is what I have for strength, and my basis(I'm only currently running level 25):
Base 26
+3 Tome
+2 Feats and Enchantments
+9 Items and Effects
+13 Barbarian Rage
+4 Death Frenzy
+2 Frenzy
+6 Titans Grips
+5 Primal Scream

If you have any suggestions, please let me know!

Enoach
03-04-2015, 05:53 PM
Things you can add based on your current list

Higher Tome like a +5 <- Currently you could take some time to farm Lost Motes/Trade for Cards to get a +5 Strength Tome - But also this will could come in time simply questing and raiding

Madstone Rage via Madstone Boots, could add +2 to +4 strength for a 2 minute timeframe

Yugoloth Strength Potions - This will require Yugoloth favor from the Shavarath Quest series. Each potion lasts 15 minutes so you can easily use this as a long term buff

Just these alone could increase your Strength by 6 to 8 points (8 only when both the Madstone clickie and hidden proc are active at the same time)

Other options:
Commendation of Valor Turn in 40 = 1 Potion of Insightful Ability +2 Duration 10 Minutes
+10 Strength Item
+3 Insightful Strength Item
+1 Exceptional Strength Item

You could use TP to buy store potions to increase your strength but I don't recommend that unless you really feel you must.

unbongwah
03-04-2015, 06:52 PM
Presuming HO pure barb:

20 STR to start
+15 Mythic Emerald Gaze (http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Mythic_Emerald_Gaze) (+11 enhancement, +4 insightful)
+2 eLitany (http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Epic_Litany_of_the_Dead) (Profane)
+1 Exceptional STR (colorless augment)
+7 lvl-ups
+6 tome
+2 Completionist
+2 HO core enhs
+8 Mighty Rage
+2 Tireless Rage
+3 barb Rage enhs
+2 HO Power Rage enhs
+4 Death Frenzy
+2 Frenzy
+2 Yugo STR pots
+2 Bull's Might Store pots
+5 Primal Scream (morale)
85 STR sustained
+4 Madstone Rage
+4 alchemical (Tenser's Transformation scroll))
+6 Titan's Grip (psionic)
99 STR temp-buffed

+2 from Inspire Excellence would bring it to 87/101 STR. Potion of Insightful Ability says it's an insight bonus, so it shouldn't stack w/Emerald Gaze. Other than ED stat bonuses and Great STR feats, anything else I'm missing?

Hamadov
03-05-2015, 04:18 AM
Morning ,

+2 rage pot
+4 tens

Mighty Rage =8 + 2 (Tireless Rage at lvl 17) =10

maybe there is more !

edite
can get +6 from ED and +4 from twists and +3 epic feats* (no one will get all of those tho lol :P)

unbongwah
03-05-2015, 08:42 AM
+2 rage pot
This doesn't stack with Primal Scream (morale).

+4 tens
Good catch, although since you can't use scrolls while Raged, I consider it a temp buff. Added.