PDA

View Full Version : Downtime Notice: 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM Eastern (-5 GMT) Friday, February 27th

Cordovan
02-27-2015, 06:52 AM
UPDATE: The game worlds are open! Thank you for your patience, and we will see you in the game!

The DDO Game Servers will be brought down on Monday, February 27th from 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM Eastern (-5 GMT) for a hotfix. Thanks for your patience, and we'll see you back in the game soon!

Cordovan
02-27-2015, 06:53 AM
Sorry for the last-minute notice, but this hotfix will allow us to reopen the Bag Deposit Box, which is something we want to do by the weekend.

Lerincho
02-27-2015, 07:05 AM
Monday the 27th? 2015 right?

Starla70
02-27-2015, 07:08 AM
Friday is the 27th. :)

Revolted
02-27-2015, 07:08 AM
Monday the 27th? 2015 right?

Monday, Friday, it's all the same, I'm unemployed!

kauetomaz
02-27-2015, 07:11 AM
this gives me enough time to go shopping for popcorn coz im sure i wont be disappointed when ultimately we get more stuff broken again when the worlds re open

Sn00gans
02-27-2015, 07:12 AM
The DDO Game Servers will be brought down on Monday, February 27th from 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM Eastern (-5 GMT) for a hotfix. Thanks for your patience, and we'll see you back in the game soon!

9 Hours of downtime in a single week? I can appreciate your need to get the bag deposit bank up before the weekend but, really? This gets worse with every update.

cdbd3rd
02-27-2015, 07:18 AM
Sorry for the last-minute notice, but this hotfix will allow us to reopen the Bag Deposit Box, which is something we want to do by the weekend.

Awesome! :D

arkonas
02-27-2015, 07:20 AM
9 Hours of downtime in a single week? I can appreciate your need to get the bag deposit bank up before the weekend but, really? This gets worse with every update.

honestly i would love to see updates weekly like some other games but seriously who cares. these hotfixes were there to help increase performance fix an issue with bank, fix vanguard. so i dont care about the down time. its better then sitting around waiting for a fix and being ****ed off. no thanks.

Deezzy
02-27-2015, 07:23 AM
So u get the date wrong, you cant clarify which day it is..... and then 9 -10 hours of downtime in a week..... WOW TURBINE just wow, and u wonder why peeps leaving DDO.........

kauetomaz
02-27-2015, 07:24 AM
honestly i would love to see updates weekly like some other games but seriously who cares. these hotfixes were there to help increase performance fix an issue with bank, fix vanguard. so i dont care about the down time. its better then sitting around waiting for a fix and being ****ed off. no thanks.

i would share your sentiments if only something in your list wasnt something that they broke with the fix for previous one and so on and so forth

Habreno
02-27-2015, 07:24 AM
Monday, February 27th

Clearly there's not enough coffee at Turbine HQ.

moomooprincess
02-27-2015, 07:25 AM
Dang, now I am going to have to do some work.

Lerincho
02-27-2015, 07:27 AM

Yes they both end in Y, but....... on calendar very separated. Last time the 27th was a Monday was 2012, next time it will happen is 2017. Sorry day with date does matter. just saying. Cheerio.

Jiirix
02-27-2015, 07:27 AM
So the event will last a day longer? Make it a week to cover the other downtimes to come. I just told my boss I'll go a little bit earlier today. Looks like I am gonna play on my computer this lovely Friday afternoon (EU), but it won't be DDO as it seems.

zorander6
02-27-2015, 07:29 AM
I love how people have spent YEARS complaining they want more fixes to DDO but when they start doing fixes they complain about the servers being down.

General_Gronker
02-27-2015, 07:30 AM
honestly i would love to see updates weekly like some other games but seriously who cares. these hotfixes were there to help increase performance fix an issue with bank, fix vanguard. so i dont care about the down time. its better then sitting around waiting for a fix and being ****ed off. no thanks.None of that should have been broken in the first place. So no, it's not better. Extra downtime to fix stuff that shouldn't have even been touched in previous updates isn't better, it's embarrassing.

mkmcgw17
02-27-2015, 07:35 AM

I get the feeling all this wrenching with the bank is to make darn sure no one can duplicate items so I'm willing to be somewhat patient since that card cruncher exploit destroyed the balance between toons even more on my server. Three quarters of the server have infinite sp pots major slayer boosts and sovereign learning pots which makes it hard for the honest people to keep up. I think they should ban anyone with hundreds of any of those items since they weren't bought that's fairly certain. Well once more into the void.

Lerincho
02-27-2015, 07:36 AM
None of that should have been broken in the first place. So no, it's not better. Extra downtime to fix stuff that shouldn't have even been touched in previous updates isn't better, it's embarrassing.

Sorry to throw logic into the debate, but anytime you make ANY changes with a computer program it has ripple effects. Unfortunately not ALL of those can be foreseen. Sorry for the interruption of the irrational debate with logic. Please resume.

Loromir
02-27-2015, 07:37 AM
Thank you...for the first time in 5 years, I found myself not interested in playing. I had plans to TR on Wednesday night, but my Heart seeds are in my bag. I ended up playing this instead: http://plarium.com/en/games/sparta-war-of-empires/

If the bags are truly back, I'll be back in my regular spot Friday night.

RD2play
02-27-2015, 07:39 AM
Will the World Broadcast for the Mimic hunt Frenzy be fixed as well ???? G-land didn't have one yesterday!

Sn00gans
02-27-2015, 07:42 AM
Sorry to throw logic into the debate, but anytime you make ANY changes with a computer program it has ripple effects. Unfortunately not ALL of those can be foreseen. Sorry for the interruption of the irrational debate with logic. Please resume.

So paying customers being angry about more downtime in one week than we've had in the last month is irrational? Fortunately, there is this thing called a test bed....this one even has a name...Lamannia. Even if it isn't open to the public, throwing a patch/hotfix onto that server and maybe TESTING, sh!t like this wouldn't be happening.

Deezzy
02-27-2015, 07:45 AM

too bad ur logic doesn't go with the debate u tried to quote. Cause at the time they were suppose to have messed with Vanguard line and performance. And i'm sure neither of the two have anything to do with inventory and bank spaces.... So in turn if they did what they were "suppose" to do and said they were doing, bag bank shouldn't have no "ripples" as u call it....

dunklezhan
02-27-2015, 08:02 AM
Oh in the name of Grud, make it stop.

Everyone who thinks testing is so easy, and that Lammania is the appropriate place for testing, how about you try to write a test plan for DDO. Go on, see if you can cover everything. In fact, how about you just write the test plan for one class. You armchair DDO experts do that, and I bet you I can still think of five or more things you missed that would matter for technical testing.

And once we've nailed it as a community, we can organise into groups and commit to logging onto Lammania and thoroughly running through every single test plan every time some code is released, can't we?

Oh wait, no we can't. Because Lammania is a public demo server not a test server, and because we aren't being paid so collectively we won't.

Turbine's testing has always appeared lacking, from a customer's point of view, but we have no idea what tools they use, whether they were able to get automated regression testing set up during the game's original development (because if Atari or whoever didn't make sure that was part of the plan, then it would have been impossible to add later), we don't even know the size of their QA/testing dept. We do know that the Major was a very experienced tester and testing facilities manager when he joined, and they still couldn't cover everything. Which suggests it is impossible.

And also - people have been upset all week that the bag bank was blocked off. They are probably quite happy that it's being fixed. Stop being so damn shortsighted. Waaaaah oh noes downtime!

This is downtime for fixes, and the fixes are as promised. All is not 'well' (because their temporary fix was an abortion of a horror show that should never have happened when they could've just switched off the mimic event), but I'd far rather have a bit of downtime, and as a result get stuff fixed and see promises kept than the alternative.

96th_Malice
02-27-2015, 08:02 AM
OH well ... its been double XP week over on Battlefiled 4 anyways.

Kinda not missing DDO right now

Lerincho
02-27-2015, 08:03 AM
too bad ur logic doesn't go with the debate u tried to quote. Cause at the time they were suppose to have messed with Vanguard line and performance. And i'm sure neither of the two have anything to do with inventory and bank spaces.... So in turn if they did what they were "suppose" to do and said they were doing, bag bank shouldn't have no "ripples" as u call it....
Have a good day.

Fedora1
02-27-2015, 08:04 AM
Sorry to throw logic into the debate, but anytime you make ANY changes with a computer program it has ripple effects. Unfortunately not ALL of those can be foreseen.

That's not logic, that's incorrect. You are presuming that all software changes have unforeseen ripple effects. This is not true, so don't call it logic please.

Sorry for the interruption of the irrational debate with logic. Please resume.

Sorry to interrupt your interruption. And nothing said has been irrational. Turbine deserves some criticism on breaking things every patch. Three 3-hour service interruptions in 5 days is something to be critical about.

Fedora1
02-27-2015, 08:10 AM
blah blah blah

I have one plan that rarely gets used by Turbine. When people report problems with something on Lamania, don't go live with it.

Another good plan would be to schedule regular downtime like just about every other MMO does, like the first Tuesday of every month from 9-noon or something. Beats getting notice anywhere from a day to an hour before the servers go down.

Another plan would be to fix the bug reporting tool.

Lerincho
02-27-2015, 08:11 AM
That's not logic, that's incorrect. You are presuming that all software changes have unforeseen ripple effects. This is not true, so don't call it logic please.
Are you a programmer? EVERY change made in code cannot be anticipated, pure and simple.

Sorry to interrupt your interruption. And nothing said has been irrational. Turbine deserves some criticism on breaking things every patch. Three 3-hour service interruptions in 5 days is something to be critical about.
This down time is nothing. You want a downtime that deserved wrath, should have been here for Module 3 update. WeekS worth of downtime. Check your history before you think that what is currently going in is over the top. Plus they are fixing issues that people are complaining about. Take a breath, drink some water.

JackLV
02-27-2015, 08:14 AM

I think you meant Friday the 27.

Habreno
02-27-2015, 08:15 AM

Clearly you have never worked with computer code before. *ANY* change, doesn't matter to *what*, can cause other things to stop working. I'm just glad that they don't have issues with plat storage and such.

In-game plat (per character) is a 32-bit unsigned integer of coppers (2^32 coppers, which is 4,294,967,296 coppers. This translates to 4,294,967 plat, 2 gold, 9 silver, 6 copper). Plat values on items in-game is a 32-bit signed integer of coppers (2^31 coppers, the initial bit determines if the value is positive or negative, which is 2,147,483,648 coppers. Translates to 2,147,483 plat, 6 gold, 4 silver, 8 copper). This also likely explains why the AH limit is 2,100,000 plat- it's probably expressed as a signed 32-bit integer which can't go over the above value (not much more than 2.1m plat)

If anything typed there was affected in any way, that's much more important than shared account bag or even one quest being broken, because that will likely result in many people losing millions of plat. Not something that Turbine would want. So clearly they know how to code something right.

Now, as stated before, ANY change can affect ANYTHING, because of ripple effects. DDO is a massive game. It's a lot of code. It's not easy. You can forget about, say, a call or return and misdirect it because you changed how long something was, and if that happens, stuff simply not working is a good outcome. For all the flack we do give Turbine, they do a fair job of making sure we actually *have* a DDO to enjoy. I'm just glad we're supposed to get the bags back before the weekend- I have my Tokens of the Twelve in there and I would like to TR, probably over the weekend.

sk3l3t0r
02-27-2015, 08:21 AM
I'm glad to see fixes, lack of planning is not surprising, but what can you do? At least they are trying even if it's half baked sometimes...

At least President Frank Underwood is back today so I will be tuning in to House of Cards season 3 until DDO is back online since it just released on Netflix today :)

Blooddagger25
02-27-2015, 08:22 AM
I get the feeling all this wrenching with the bank is to make darn sure no one can duplicate items so I'm willing to be somewhat patient since that card cruncher exploit destroyed the balance between toons even more on my server. Three quarters of the server have infinite sp pots major slayer boosts and sovereign learning pots which makes it hard for the honest people to keep up. I think they should ban anyone with hundreds of any of those items since they weren't bought that's fairly certain. Well once more into the void.

My opinion is it only comes to a head in PVP. If someone has an advantage its better for the whole party. If you arent cheating you arent trying.

Fedora1
02-27-2015, 08:26 AM
Are you a programmer? EVERY change made in code cannot be anticipated, pure and simple.

Again you are wrong, so I can tell you are not a programmer. I work in IT, though not a programmer, but I have some experience in it (had to for college) and use my own home-baked programs for administration purposes. Please stop pretending that difficult and complex programs ALWAYS have unintended consequences because that is false, pure and simple.

This down time is nothing. You want a downtime that deserved wrath, should have been here for Module 3 update. WeekS worth of downtime. Check your history before you think that what is currently going in is over the top.

Oh I see. So if some psycho kills 8 people in a movie theater we should just chill, because one time a few years ago some other psycho killed 19? Your logic failed again.

Plus they are fixing issues that people are complaining about.

Yes, we tend to complain when Turbine breaks stuff. Or doesn't test stuff. Or doesn't communicate about stuff they broke or when they will fix it until an hour before.

Take a breath, drink some water.

And keep your condescending remarks to yourself please.

barecm
02-27-2015, 08:26 AM
I think the issue for folks like me is that there is excessive downtime to fix the fixes. I know it is hard to understand all facets of the game when you apply a patch , but that is what software development is all about. I have worked plenty of places where software is released (cable and internet companies) and if a patch causes outages and customers start complaining, there is some sort of crisis control. That is not always the case with this game and not very consistent. Yes, they have done things like raiders boxes and other stuff, but no consistency. My gaming time has shifted due to work and I am now able to play mostly during the day. This week, I have lost most of my time due to fixing fixes. I know it is not the end of the world, but as a consumer, I am entitled to be upset and I am entitled to voice my opinion regardless of what other opinions there might be.

Lerincho
02-27-2015, 08:30 AM
Again you are wrong, so I can tell you are not a programmer. I work in IT, though not a programmer, but I have some experience in it (had to for college) and use my own home-baked programs for administration purposes. Please stop pretending that difficult and complex programs ALWAYS have unintended consequences because that is false, pure and simple.
when you start programming let me know, until then you have no right to lecture me.

Oh I see. So if some psycho kills 8 people in a movie theater we should just chill, because one time a few years ago some other psycho killed 19? Your logic failed again.
And now you have done the typical internet bullying ploy by trying to dramatize a GAMES down time, by turning it into a tragedy. Congrats, you win the internet.

Yes, we tend to complain when Turbine breaks stuff. Or doesn't test stuff. Or doesn't communicate about stuff they broke or when they will fix it until an hour before.
Good for you for exercising your right.

And keep your condescending remarks to yourself please.
Hey pot, I'm kettle, we're both black. Want to be spoken to with respect, treat other with respect even if you do not agree with them.

I hope your day gets better, sorry the tragedy of downtime for a video GAME effects your life so much.

Steelstar
02-27-2015, 08:35 AM
Or doesn't communicate about stuff they broke or when they will fix it until an hour before.

We are working to get the Bag Deposit Box reopened as quickly as possible, and expect to have more news soon. Once we are ready to deploy a fix, we'll have a bit of downtime, and the Bag Deposit Box will reopen. The current plan is to get that done before the weekend, but it all depends on how things progress in the next day or so.

The team has been working very late, very hard, and very quickly to ensure the Bag Deposit Box can be open for all of you this weekend. Thank you all for your patience.

Lerincho
02-27-2015, 08:37 AM
The team has been working very late, very hard, and very quickly to ensure the Bag Deposit Box can be open for all of you this weekend. Thank you all for your patience.

Thanks for the reminder. Hope you guys were able to get some sleep.

Qhualor
02-27-2015, 08:38 AM

About how many of those specialty Dunken Donuts coffees?

caberonia
02-27-2015, 08:41 AM

Good job, maybe turbine will give you some yard time now.

(FYI to all the drama queens this down time is pretty much my entire playtime for today and you don't see me throwing a hissy about it, because i did that when i logged in right when i got home and got the downtime message 5 mins later...)

Fedora1
02-27-2015, 08:42 AM
when you start programming let me know, until then you have no right to lecture me.

Nothng you have said has provided any evidence of you being a programmer OR having any experience in IT - both of which I do. If you don't want a lecture, then hey, don't lecture others.

And now you have done the typical internet bullying ploy by trying to dramatize a GAMES down time, by turning it into a tragedy. Congrats, you win the internet.

Sometimes in order for people to see they are wrong, we must use extreme examples. You seemed to think that because this is not the WORST EVER downtime for Turbine, that we should be happy and draw rainbows and unicorns while we CAN'T play a game we PAY for.

Good for you for exercising your right.

So now it's okay? Thanks for your approval.

Hey pot, I'm kettle, we're both black. Want to be spoken to with respect, treat other with respect even if you do not agree with them.

My reply to your first post was written in the exact same tone you used to lecture all of us. Then you got personal. Probably because you realized I was right.

I hope your day gets better, sorry the tragedy of downtime for a video GAME effects your life so much.

In reality, it only cut into my planned game time by an hour. I am arguing on principal here, not this specific issue. I have played maybe 3 other MMO's to the same extent I play DDO, and NONE of them had this kind of half-baked patching/breaking/repatching problem time and time again, or so much last-minute downtime.

Now if you'll be the good guy and make your points without being so condescending (as you have ended all your posts with condescending statements) I'll let you have the last word if you want it.

Powskier
02-27-2015, 08:43 AM

I'd like to know if they just track the dupers and enforce now ;or stop them from executing? It sounded like they really can't be stopped from what i read... we the community can be proactive to help;) ,if you can't stop them..u could even set up some undercover sting ops(if you havent' yet) .

cyreme
02-27-2015, 08:50 AM

And some of us appreciate it very much! Keep up the good work and get the thing fixed :). I'm willing to be patient, just get it done right. There are chores to do around the house anyway :). My honey-do list is a mile long.

Myrddinman
02-27-2015, 08:53 AM
Thanks for putting in the extra time and getting this done before the weekend :)

General_Gronker
02-27-2015, 09:04 AM
people to keep up.Why are you worried about "keeping up"? Are you Hyacinth Bucket? If not, it shouldn't be a concern. Playing the game the way you want to play it should be your concern, not worrying about what others are doing. I mean, the simple fact is, with or without dupes, some people are going to be hard to keep up with, because there is always someone better or more dedicated. So just play the game and enjoy yourself.

dunklezhan
02-27-2015, 09:05 AM
I have one plan that rarely gets used by Turbine. When people report problems with something on Lamania, don't go live with it.

Another good plan would be to schedule regular downtime like just about every other MMO does, like the first Tuesday of every month from 9-noon or something. Beats getting notice anywhere from a day to an hour before the servers go down.

/facetious face: in ITIL/Business terms, those are strategies and service objectives, not plans.

/non facetious face: They're good strategies and service objectives, mind you.

Nyata
02-27-2015, 09:09 AM

thanks for reminding everyone that fixes do not code themselves, that work is involved, and that it's not part of the day to day work schedule, but requires stress, long hours, and dedication. oh yeh and coffee. lots and lots of coffee. thumbs up!

furthermore, the downtime allowed me to read the rogue revamp thread, so - not complaining! :)

Ghwyn
02-27-2015, 09:13 AM
Glad to see the fix done promptly.

For all the whiners, I wish you all knew how pathetic you sound. It's apparent that you all have no idea how complex systems work

Lerincho
02-27-2015, 09:14 AM
Glad to see the fix done promptly.

For all the whiners, I wish you all knew how pathetic you sound. It's apparent that you all have no idea how complex systems work

/bows
Hear hear!

arkyday
02-27-2015, 09:16 AM
why is downtime always at the same time? it effects the same people everytime. for once id like to wake up and see the fix was done or won't be until i go to work

Lerincho
02-27-2015, 09:19 AM
why is downtime always at the same time? it effects the same people everytime. for once id like to wake up and see the fix was done or won't be until i go to work
Turbine is located in Boston, MA and operate normally between the hours of 8 a.m. Eastern to 5 p.m. Eastern. This is the optimal time due to the fact that all programmers and technicians are available. Add to that the majority of players are US based, it's only time that fits.

Nyata
02-27-2015, 09:19 AM

quite simple, because they try to push the fix out as early in their work day as they can, to see if it takes and MAYBE be able to catch serious problems during the rest of the day.
would you prefer them doing it in the evening, and the game being out of service for the whole night?

dunklezhan
02-27-2015, 09:21 AM
Are you Hyacinth Bucket?

And thus was the General's nationality revealed.

I haven't see Keeping Up Appearances in years - even her precious Sheridan will be pulling his pension by now :)

ImanCarrot
02-27-2015, 09:22 AM
Meh, I got lots of beer in after I TR'd to play all day.

And now I have a 3 hour Downtime, no doubt extended to 4 then 5 hours.

*sigh*

Paleus
02-27-2015, 09:25 AM

You're kidding right? You think that some basic college and home-baked programs have anywhere near the complexity of an MMO? Look, while its true, there are no absolutes that hold up under scrutiny, there are general principles that are true most of the time. This is one of them, changes to complex programs can produce unintended and unforeseen bugs.

Ok, things I agree with in principle would be not going live with glaring bugs...but, lets be honest here. People would have (or actually are) complained about Turbine not fixing the bag bank before the weekend (and I'm going to hedge it with trying to fix, because even I don't believe it'll be fixed flawlessly). You think sitting on their hands for a month before fixing anything would fly?

Your plan is also epic in its details too. I think the problem is you've left out from your plan any consideration of opportunity costs. Yes, with enough time and resources, you could conceivably release complex programs without any bugs. Do you actually think that gamer's have the patience or Turbine has the money to do that? So, if its a choice between 3 hour downtime window to fix a glaring bug before the weekend gaming highpoint versus putting every change/fix/update off for a month minimum (probably more) until its both perfectly bug free and can be released when no one is affected, Im going to choose the realistic option here.

LXP
02-27-2015, 09:27 AM
furthermore, the downtime allowed me to read the rogue revamp thread, so - not complaining! :)

Rogue revamp thread? Sounds interesting. Can you please provide some sort of pointer?

arkonas
02-27-2015, 09:30 AM
i would share your sentiments if only something in your list wasnt something that they broke with the fix for previous one and so on and so forth
im assuming you think everything will be perfect and nothing will ever be broken because of a change gotcha. that all games are working in 100% perfect bug free conditions. gotcha.

None of that should have been broken in the first place. So no, it's not better. Extra downtime to fix stuff that shouldn't have even been touched in previous updates isn't better, it's embarrassing.

honestly i ignore most things you say since you always have nothing nice to say about the game. i've only agreed with you 1 time. if you think a game can work perfectly and never have any backlash from a change then im sorry will always be an angry person. same as the other guy above who thinks games can never break down and things must always work 100% of the time. god forbid the devs should be superhumans and never mess up. really? they are exactly like us but just bringing us a 8 year old game with various coding and devs walking in and out. sometimes something breaks. oh noes. not the end of the world. stop with the bickering about every change every downtime.

at least they're trying to fix things unlike some games. there is a fatal error in King Arthur the strategy game. you can only play for so long before it crashes. would you not think that would be very important to fix? guess what now there was a king arthur 2 and years have passed and that fatal error still exists today. so you know what don't mind me saying i'm ok with downtime if it can fix the issues. i don't want to wait months or years for a fix. so please keep crying about them fixing things.

arkonas
02-27-2015, 09:31 AM
Rogue revamp thread? Sounds interesting. Can you please provide some sort of pointer?

dev tracker is your friend :)

Nyata
02-27-2015, 09:31 AM

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/456558-Rogue-Assassin-Changes#post5550289

grab a coffee and comfy chair though, it's 4 pages as of now

sk3l3t0r
02-27-2015, 09:32 AM
Turbine is located in Boston, MA and operate normally between the hours of 8 a.m. Eastern to 5 p.m. Eastern. This is the optimal time due to the fact that all programmers and technicians are available. Add to that the majority of players are US based, it's only time that fits.

While that may be the case, I would prefer to look at it from a perspective that they are doing it when the least amount of people are logged in, most IT shops run their updates (I know we do...) on the weekends when our customers are not using our systems, or a very small number would be using them. It sucks having to work weekends once in a while, but it is in the best interest of our customers in my line of work that our scheduled outages take place on weekends.

Now since DDO is a GAME, and not a financial system, payroll system, email system, etc ... where users typically use these tools during normal working hours. It makes sense to do it during normal weekday business hours EST (still sucks for the EU and Asia folks though when you factor in the time difference)

So while I sympathise with the poster who would like it done when it does not interfere with with play time, I can see Turbine's POV that it makes sense to do it when the playerbase is going to be in lower numbers logged into the game...which is during weekday EST working hours.

I am sure the community would be up in arms if they took the servers offline on a Friday night, or Saturday afternoon EST

cdbd3rd
02-27-2015, 09:34 AM

Fastest/easiest = Tap the Dev Tracker tab.

edit - yeah, replied before finished reading the page again. :o

dev tracker is your friend :)http://i621.photobucket.com/albums/tt291/cdbd3rd/cdemotes/yep.gif (http://s621.photobucket.com/user/cdbd3rd/media/cdemotes/yep.gif.html)

patang01
02-27-2015, 09:36 AM

I greatly appreciate that it was done before the weekend. I have too many important things stored there. Good work. Please let us know how this will effect the birthday schedule.

Thanks for all the hard work.

Ra'ehd
02-27-2015, 09:42 AM
i'm logged in to the game.

Cordovan
02-27-2015, 09:47 AM
The game worlds are open! Thank you for your patience, and we will see you in the game!

ianliam
02-27-2015, 09:49 AM
I love how people have spent YEARS complaining they want more fixes to DDO but when they start doing fixes they complain about the servers being down.

This game has been my life Sense January 2008. "NO LIFE" Yes; Sometimes there are things that upset us, But if you didn't love the game, you would have left by now!!. As i quoted Zorander6, They are trying to fix the things that go wrong!!. Just keep reporting the bugs and glitches so Turbine knows about them and can fix em'

( That Awkward moment when you get in the van and realize there's no candy )

Catteras
02-27-2015, 09:55 AM

mmm, you noticed that, too? that sort of thing happens a lot around here.

the_one_dwarfforged
02-27-2015, 09:56 AM
there has been a lot of downtime lately but im glad for it tbh. better than stuff being broken and not fixed, better than the servers not being maintained, better than trying to do stuff while the servers are up and causing weird things to happen...if nothing else it at least seems like an effort is being made.

thanks.

arkonas
02-27-2015, 09:59 AM
This game has been my life Sense January 2008. "NO LIFE" Yes; Sometimes there are things that upset us, But if you didn't love the game, you would have left by now!!. As i quoted Zorander6, They are trying to fix the things that go wrong!!. Just keep reporting the bugs and glitches so Turbine knows about them and can fix em'

( That Awkward moment when you get in the van and realize there's no candy )

this. i love this game and have been playing for 6 years. there have been countless times i have been frustrated. some were caused by me, some times lag so either turbine, me or comcast was at fault, sometimes i lacked reading skills so yes problems caused by me again. i have played a variety of games and a few mmos. i only play rift constantly besides this one. When i look at both games each one does it best to appeal to its fans as much as it can. both have their pros/cons.. rift updates on a weekly basis.... there have been times where that game had crashes or issues or even dupes. they do the same thing turbine did. they went and did a hotfix. sometimes that day or sometimes next day which means down time. why these fools think this game will always be perfect makes me laugh so hard. that there wont be hotfixes etc lol.

ahpook
02-27-2015, 09:59 AM

Actually, he wasn't saying this. He was saying some changes can have unforeseen ripple effects. And he is correct. To be blunt, your experience with large complex software projects seems lacking for you declare that to be false.

ImanCarrot
02-27-2015, 10:51 AM
eek! early nice one :)

Scotty, I thought you said it would be 3 hours lol :)

RockHeavy
02-27-2015, 11:13 AM
We were promised a downtime of 3 hours, and only got a paltry 1 hour 42 minutes. What is going on?

First, my daily entertainment cycle of reading 20+ new champion-rage threads is hindered by an influx of completely off-topic rage threads caused by your selfish introduction of the mimic event... and now this!

/sarcasm - thanks for the pre-weekend fix and extra hours you put in to get it out there.

dunklezhan
02-27-2015, 11:13 AM
eek! early nice one :)

A fact that will be utterly forgotten the next time they're even a second late. I really must revisit that table I made last year and update it to see whether the downtime-finishing trend is still towards more early finishes, as I was able to show it had been for the previous 2 years. Seriously, do a bit of analysis and you see that more often than not, downtimes are early. The reason no-one realises that is because when they're late, its because something unexpected has happened, meaning they're very late. So it seems worse. But it isn't unless you are measuring minutes early vs minutes late. If you're just asking 'how often are they late?' the answer is 'not as often as they're early'. Which is what I think counts.

relenttless
02-27-2015, 11:21 AM
This morning I was playing and a guy I work with called me to help him with a job, as I put the phone down, the downtime notice came up.

I went over to give him a hand, we smashed it out in 2 hours, I came home, and the worlds are back open, plus I'm 200 quid better off.... Oh, and hopefully the bag bank is working again....personally, its been a great afternoon.

slarden
02-27-2015, 11:21 AM

Thank you all for the extra effort on this! Much appreciated.

SisAmethyst
02-27-2015, 11:29 AM

Thanks a lot to get that fixed so promptly! See you all back in game...

Seikojin
02-27-2015, 11:39 AM
Yay!

imandria
02-27-2015, 01:39 PM
At least they're communicating about it. I'd rather have downtime that's explained instead of the alternative.

Fedora1
02-27-2015, 02:17 PM
Actually, he wasn't saying this. He was saying some changes can have unforeseen ripple effects. And he is correct. To be blunt, your experience with large complex software projects seems lacking for you declare that to be false.

I'm sorry that your reading skills are a little behind. Let me post his quote exactly and also underline the part that makes you wrong:

I hope that helped, and yes my reply is snarky since you chose to call my experience into question at the end of your remark.

Lerincho
02-27-2015, 02:19 PM
I'm sorry that your reading skills are a little behind. Let me post his quote exactly and also underline the part that makes you wrong:

I hope that helped, and yes my reply is snarky since you chose to call my experience into question at the end of your remark.

Dude give it up. Multiple people have told you that this is not the case. LET IT GO. Grab a doughnut, sit down, and play the game instead of thinking you know everything.

Fedora1
02-27-2015, 02:31 PM
You're kidding right? You think that some basic college and home-baked programs have anywhere near the complexity of an MMO?

Nope, not what I said.

Look, while its true, there are no absolutes that hold up under scrutiny, there are general principles that are true most of the time. This is one of them, changes to complex programs can produce unintended and unforeseen bugs.

I understand this. I was pointing out his "absolute" was not logic, see my post above.

Ok, things I agree with in principle would be not going live with glaring bugs...but, lets be honest here. People would have (or actually are) complained about Turbine not fixing the bag bank before the weekend (and I'm going to hedge it with trying to fix, because even I don't believe it'll be fixed flawlessly). You think sitting on their hands for a month before fixing anything would fly?

I think that if they had a regular maintenance schedule, like many other MMO's, things like this would happen much less frequently. No updates or patches? Doesn't matter, the servers come down anyway and we'll perform regular maintenance. Maybe update some stupid text descriptions that have been wrong for years. Fix typos. Help fight lag/latency by killing old hung connections. Whatever. One other thing it would do is reduce the amount of frustration and whining when the server goes down. I know personally that I can spend all friggin day on the forums, but 20 minutes after I log off a dev will post that the servers are going down for a hotfix the following morning. So my first inkling that the server is going down may only be an hours notice, even though technically they gave 12 hours notice (or whatever).

I think the problem is you've left out from your plan any consideration of opportunity costs. Yes, with enough time and resources, you could conceivably release complex programs without any bugs. Do you actually think that gamer's have the patience or Turbine has the money to do that?

Other games, even cheap Korean MMO's, are able to do this a lot more effectively than I have seen Turbine do it. I don't claim to play a dozen different games but just out of the 4 I am familiar with (and used to play regularly) I never saw such a cluster of downtime issues. Maybe Turbine can't do it. That's a shame because it really is a great game.

So, if its a choice between 3 hour downtime window to fix a glaring bug before the weekend gaming highpoint versus putting every change/fix/update off for a month minimum (probably more) until its both perfectly bug free and can be released when no one is affected, Im going to choose the realistic option here.

If those were the only two choices I would agree with you.

Fedora1
02-27-2015, 02:34 PM
Multiple people have told you that this is not the case.

What exactly is not the case? That he was making an absolute statement and I told him it wasn't logical? Sorry, that's exactly the case. I even underlined what he said for you.

LET IT GO. Grab a doughnut, sit down, and play the game instead of thinking you know everything.

Why is it every time I correct someone, they have to make a condescending remark to make themselves feel better?

Lerincho
02-27-2015, 02:48 PM
What exactly is not the case? That he was making an absolute statement and I told him it wasn't logical? Sorry, that's exactly the case. I even underlined what he said for you.

Why is it every time I correct someone, they have to make a condescending remark to make themselves feel better?

Because you have no idea how to talk to people without sounding condescending yourself. We are all sorry that our parents gave birth to us and caused you such irreparable harm in your entire life. Congratulations you won the internet. Now will you let it go? The down time is over, was done EARLY, are you going to thank Turbine for being faster than expected? I bet not.

Now drop it, period. End of story. Have a nice day.

PS. the developers have long stated that with such a grandiose program such as DDO that any changes can have unintended ripple effect on part of the software and only in the live environment does these come out. Don't agree with it, talk to the people that program the game instead of flaming everyone else.

UurlockYgmeov
02-27-2015, 02:49 PM
UPDATE: The game worlds are open! Thank you for your patience, and we will see you in the game!

Yes! I missed you bag deposit bank!

UurlockYgmeov
02-27-2015, 02:51 PM

Thank you and all who do this. I (we) know you love the game as much as we do!

Fedora1
02-27-2015, 03:15 PM
Because you have no idea how to talk to people without sounding condescending yourself.

I only reply in kind my friend, so if something I say offends you, please go back and re-read your own post. Pretend I had made that remark to you.

We are all sorry that our parents gave birth to us and caused you such irreparable harm in your entire life. Congratulations you won the internet. Now will you let it go?

It's always the people telling others to "let it go" that seem unable to do so. Again with condescending remarks thrown in.

The down time is over, was done EARLY, are you going to thank Turbine for being faster than expected? I bet not.

If I break your lawn mower, then fix it faster than I told you I would... Would you thank me?

Now drop it, period. End of story. Have a nice day.

You sound mad. I'm not mad, I still enjoy the game, but any time someone is upset with Turbine people like you go out of your way to label us as bad guys.

PS. the developers have long stated that with such a grandiose program such as DDO that any changes can have unintended ripple effect on part of the software and only in the live environment does these come out. Don't agree with it, talk to the people that program the game instead of flaming everyone else.

Oh, should I send them a letter? Wait, they have a forum, maybe I will post a reply to them here. Oh wait, can't do that, some people are too sensitive and don't seem to understand many of us are paying customers, not free loaders looking for hand outs.

Bannith
02-27-2015, 06:13 PM
Clearly you have never worked with computer code before. *ANY* change, doesn't matter to *what*, can cause other things to stop working. I'm just glad that they don't have issues with plat storage and such.

In-game plat (per character) is a 32-bit unsigned integer of coppers (2^32 coppers, which is 4,294,967,296 coppers. This translates to 4,294,967 plat, 2 gold, 9 silver, 6 copper). Plat values on items in-game is a 32-bit signed integer of coppers (2^31 coppers, the initial bit determines if the value is positive or negative, which is 2,147,483,648 coppers. Translates to 2,147,483 plat, 6 gold, 4 silver, 8 copper). This also likely explains why the AH limit is 2,100,000 plat- it's probably expressed as a signed 32-bit integer which can't go over the above value (not much more than 2.1m plat)

If anything typed there was affected in any way, that's much more important than shared account bag or even one quest being broken, because that will likely result in many people losing millions of plat. Not something that Turbine would want. So clearly they know how to code something right.

Now, as stated before, ANY change can affect ANYTHING, because of ripple effects. DDO is a massive game. It's a lot of code. It's not easy. You can forget about, say, a call or return and misdirect it because you changed how long something was, and if that happens, stuff simply not working is a good outcome. For all the flack we do give Turbine, they do a fair job of making sure we actually *have* a DDO to enjoy. I'm just glad we're supposed to get the bags back before the weekend- I have my Tokens of the Twelve in there and I would like to TR, probably over the weekend.

I like this guy. I personally don't know much about programming and sure I get ****ed and rant from time to time but he has a good point they fix stuff and keep things running overall. Sure they make mistakes and sometimes they could do better but I don't know the staff either they could be understaffed lacking hardware any number of issues. Guess I need to rethink my rants just a lil bit...

-Bannith

Fedora1
02-27-2015, 08:46 PM
sure I get ****ed and rant from time to time but he has a good point they fix stuff and keep things running overall.

Same here truth be told. This is probably only the third time in 5 years that I have been somewhat ticked (the others being the Anniversary Cards and the Akamai issue).

And to be honest, what gets me more riled up is when I do have a beef (and rightfully so as a paying customer) and then 20 people jump on your case like the Fanboi Police with some nonsense remarks about how wonderful everything is and tell me to chill or something. Want me to chill out? The absolute worst thing you can do is tell me to chill out if you want me to chill out. lol

That said - I do want to apologize to a couple people in this thread for my part in the juvenile discourse. Sincerely. If anyone that I offended wants a post of mine edited or deleted, just shoot me a PM.

morkahn82
03-03-2015, 02:54 AM

:) I like that attitude.

Muffington69
03-04-2015, 04:29 AM
[QUOTE=Cordovan;5550770]UPDATE: The game worlds are open! Thank you for your patience, and we will see you in the game!

I'm trying to login at about 530 am EST on Wed march 4 and my ddo launcher says all worlds are closed. Is this just my computer or all servers down?

Wanesa
03-04-2015, 04:44 AM
[QUOTE=Cordovan;5550770]UPDATE: The game worlds are open! Thank you for your patience, and we will see you in the game!

I'm trying to login at about 530 am EST on Wed march 4 and my ddo launcher says all worlds are closed. Is this just my computer or all servers down?

Mine too, however I am running DDO in Ubuntu / Wine. No problem until today

samho
03-04-2015, 04:46 AM

Apparently, we are at the same party.

Didn't see any Service News info, so maybe it's just a temporary issue - or we are going to have some unannounced service down time :-/

bigbollocks
03-04-2015, 04:46 AM
yep buggered here too.... OH well..

Tarinia
03-04-2015, 04:51 AM

Same for me- Germany 11.50- all servers are down? What happened?
Best regards
Tarinia

PrinceMyshkin
03-04-2015, 04:54 AM
Asheron's Call also went down with a 2 minute notice. Apparently something went wrong at Turbine.

PrinceMyshkin
03-04-2015, 05:03 AM
LOTRO Twitter feed says it is down for maintenance 5:00 am to 12:00. Apparently DDO and AC didn't get notified.

Kompera_Oberon
03-04-2015, 05:10 AM
Yeah, maybe about two hours ago now there was a server announcement that the server was going to go down in 50 minutes.

I came here to see why, but as you already know there's been no announcement.

sago
03-04-2015, 05:23 AM
Thelanis USA went down @3:30 am us-PST with 30 min. notice.

CassioGalon
03-04-2015, 05:30 AM
Anyone know more? I didint find any post anywhere talking about a maintenance or anything like.

bartharok
03-04-2015, 05:40 AM
MIght be a really unscheduled one, like in somebody throwing the wrong switch when taking LoTRo down.

MarDeRoam
03-04-2015, 05:53 AM
I was on Argo earlier and did see the 50 min till downtime notice, also the 30 min till downtime.
Made me check twitter and dev tracker here but no posts about what or why......

horriblescarz
03-04-2015, 05:53 AM
Anyone know more? I didint find any post anywhere talking about a maintenance or anything like.

there was a 50 min warning in game and worlds closed @ 2am pacific time.

Steiner-Davion
03-04-2015, 06:07 AM
This was posted by Frelorn, over on the LOTRO Forums, and I saw a tweet from LOTRO yesterday about it too.

Frelorn: Scheduled Server Downtime: 5:00 AM - 12:00 PM Eastern (-5 GMT) Wednesday, March 4th

The LOTRO Game Servers will be brought down on Wednesday, March 4th from 5:00AM - 12:00PM Eastern (-5 GMT) for maintenance. Thanks for your patience, and we'll see you back in the game soon!

I'm guessing this is maintenance for all the games' servers, and Cordovan just got to busy and forgot to post it.

PNP
03-04-2015, 06:42 AM
Downtime Notice: Wednesday, March 4th from 5:00 AM to 12:00 PM Eastern (-5 GMT)
The DDO Game Servers and http://myaccount.turbine.com will be offline for maintenance on Wednesday, March 4th from 5:00 AM to 12:00 PM Eastern (-5 GMT). Thanks for your patience, and we'll see you back in the game soon!

from facebook 3 minutes ago