PDA

View Full Version : Drow Darkfire Question /Damage Type Question

Kancamangus
02-20-2015, 10:32 AM
Hello:

Darkfire deals a bolt of "evil" . What does that mean in terms of usefulness in the game? Is it not effective against all evil creatures?

Which makes me ask a second question - does an evil creature have to have a DR or something to resist evil damage, or do all evil creatures inherently resist evil damage?

Thank you

PsychoBlonde
02-20-2015, 11:22 AM
It depends on the effect. If it doesn't say in the *ability description* that evil creatures take no damage, then I believe it does damage regardless, just some good critters (if you can find any) may take extra damage if they're vulnerable to evil damage.

This is different from weapon damage types (holy/unholy/lawful/chaotic) because those actually say in the description that they only do extra damage vs. critters of a specific type.

Evil damage procs a lot from Shiradi, and I've never seen it fail to work on anything or even show that the damage was resisted even though a large percentage of the monsters in the game are evil. The only exception I can recall off the top of my head is golems, but they resist spell damage in general and alignment damage in particular.

tobyalloneword
02-23-2015, 09:40 AM
Hello:

Which makes me ask a second question - does an evil creature have to have a DR or something to resist evil damage, or do all evil creatures inherently resist evil damage?

Thank you

Some mobs, particularly evil outsiders, have (*#value* DR/Evil) which will be broken by an evil aligned weapon/energy type. Just because the mobs is Evil aligned does not give it this DR. There is a flip on this for good aligned outsiders that sometimes have (*# value* DR/Good). The Inevitable line of construct/outsiders typically have DR/Lawful. Take a look at a 3.5 monster manual on pdf... it looks like they referenced material out of there for some of these critters abilities/values.

Krelar
02-23-2015, 09:59 AM
Some mobs, particularly evil outsiders, have (*#value* DR/Evil) which will be broken by an evil aligned weapon/energy type. Just because the mobs is Evil aligned does not give it this DR. There is a flip on this for good aligned outsiders that sometimes have (*# value* DR/Good)..

This is backwards, at least for DDO. Some eveil outsiders have dr/good some good outsiders have dr/evil.

http://ddowiki.com/page/Monster_DR_and_weaknesses

tobyalloneword
02-23-2015, 10:18 AM
Good thing i am not writing code, eh? =p

PsychoBlonde
02-23-2015, 04:01 PM
This is backwards, at least for DDO. Some eveil outsiders have dr/good some good outsiders have dr/evil.

http://ddowiki.com/page/Monster_DR_and_weaknesses

Also Damage Reduction only applies vs. weapon damage. Spell damage is reduced by your resistance value, NOT your damage reduction.