PDA

View Full Version : How do you target a summons spell?

DavidByron
02-19-2015, 10:39 PM
How do you get a summons to appear where you are facing instead of on top of you? it seems to happen randomly.

lyrecono
02-20-2015, 12:57 AM
How do you get a summons to appear where you are facing instead of on top of you? it seems to happen randomly.

it depends on the location (walls/ceiling might be blocking things) and on the piece of empty ground you're targeting.
if you have yourself targeted or the camera right on top of you, the direction of the summon changes

DavidByron
02-20-2015, 09:24 AM
it depends on the location (walls/ceiling might be blocking things) and on the piece of empty ground you're targeting.
if you have yourself targeted or the camera right on top of you, the direction of the summon changes

None of that going on. 99% of the time the summons appears on top of me. What are you supposed to do to get it to appear somewhere else? I guess whatever it is I must do it by accident sometimes.

Or are you saying that isn't your gaming experience and your summons appear elsewhere without you doing anything special that you're aware of?

Bluegirl_Two
02-20-2015, 10:33 AM
Two things to try.

1) Try to target a mob or object in the area and then summon.

2) Press and hold the mouse button to get the target circle, position it where you want and then summon.

Not sure either works.

My experience is similar to yours (and the replies) that it is somewhat random but generally somewhere ahead of me unless there is a wall or something. It also seems somewhat dependent on the level of summons.

Pets seem to always appear on top of me or just behind me. I think that's a default.

DavidByron
02-20-2015, 01:47 PM
Two things to try.

1) Try to target a mob or object in the area and then summon.

2) Press and hold the mouse button to get the target circle, position it where you want and then summon.

They don't work for me. If you're targeting something when you summon something it just ignores it and summons the creature on top of you. In any case I have managed to summon creatures on to just bare patches of ground without any creature or object in sight. I just don't know how I did it. For a while I think I have it worked out and I can do it four or five times in a row, or as many times as I try with 100% success. But then if I try it again later on maybe on some other quest the same technique just does nothing.

Method (2) that you suggest would require using hotkeys since you can't click on your toolbar while holding down the right hand mouse button. I assume you meant the right hand mouse button. I don't use hotkeys but I gave it a try and it didn't work. But it obviously can be done without hotkeys since I've done it that way.

I think the right-click (and then drag slightly) focusing/targeting/facing circle that appears above your head just determines where the summons will appear if you happen to manage to get it to appear somewhere other than on top of you. But how do you get it to appear somewhere other than on top of you at all?

Bluegirl_Two
02-20-2015, 01:54 PM
Well, I did say I wasn't sure either would work.

I do think the focus point has something to do with things. And I do use my hot bars and have the first one tied to hot keys. That might make a difference, but since you tested it and it didn't seem to work it might not either.

Wish I knew the answer definitively.

Talon_Moonshadow
02-20-2015, 03:48 PM
been awhile since I did it, but I always had some trouble doing it.

The spells clearly say they are self, AND "positional"
yet the steps you have to go through to pull it off feels like a bug exploit.

You need to disable soft targeting (g key is default I think).

Seems to also work best if you select yourself, then hit escape to deselect yourself.
Make sure nothing is in your target window.

Use Mouselook to target where you want the summons to spawn.
Works best to target a wall above ground. It will appear against the wall in the air and fall straight down.

Kasiddy
02-20-2015, 05:12 PM
been awhile since I did it, but I always had some trouble doing it.

The spells clearly say they are self, AND "positional"
yet the steps you have to go through to pull it off feels like a bug exploit.

You need to disable soft targeting (g key is default I think).

Seems to also work best if you select yourself, then hit escape to deselect yourself.
Make sure nothing is in your target window.

Use Mouselook to target where you want the summons to spawn.
Works best to target a wall above ground. It will appear against the wall in the air and fall straight down.

^^This, except you do not have to disable soft targeting.

You do need to target the spawn point with mouse look, then select then deselect yourself before each casting.
Otherwise it defaults to "on top of you."

It feels like its buggy because it probably is.
I'm 99% sure at one time it was a simple straightforward targeting using just mouselook then cast.

DavidByron
02-20-2015, 05:51 PM
So this is what I have got so far.

There's two parts to the trick.

The first is the easy part. Specifying where the summoning appears. This is easy; it will appear where you are facing. That is to say, it will appear where the "mouselook" or "missile target" circle would be, if it was displayed. It doesn't have to be displayed at the time the spell is cast. It is displayed when you hold down and drag the right mouse button.

The real trick is to get the summons to appear where you are facing instead of right on top of you. This is still not really understood but it appears to be something along the lines of, when you cast the spell (doesn't matter about during the casting - just the start) the game checks to see if you are targeting something. It seems to have a variety of ways to do this. If it thinks you have a target then the summons appears on top of you. if it doesn't have a target then it appears where you are facing.

So how does it check for a target?

Well if you have something in the target orb that definitely messes it up.

Having auto-targeting off, [hit G to toggle] wont always work, but might help.

Hitting escape (even if the target orb appears empty), wont always work, but might help.

Doing both, wont always work, but might help.

Having the "mouselook" over a targetable object which isn't targeted, won't make it fail, but probably doesn't help.

Casting the spell with a click on the tool bar vs using a shortcut key -- probably makes no difference.

Holding or clicking the mouse button after the spell starts to be cast -- probably makes no difference.

-------------------

So far, selecting yourself and then hitting escape to de-select yourself (with or without auto-targeting on) works but I haven't tested it more than a couple of times. I guess you could select anything then hit escape. I don't know why this would be better than just hitting escape. But if this proves to work reliably, it seems to be a bug where you count as targeting something even when the orb is empty sometimes. Hitting escape doesn't unselect this buggy invisible "target" (instead you get the main menu) because the escape routine doesn't think to empty the target orb, if it seems already empty. So if you put something in the target orb, just so you can get rid of it, that seems to work best, and you can always target yourself.

Having auto-targeting off might help avoid this invisible bug target that messes you up, but it sometimes happens anyway.