PDA

View Full Version : Add 1% xp for each additional party member to encourage grouping

Zephea
02-19-2015, 09:21 PM
As the title says each extra party member adds 1% xp to the quest xp.

Since we're being so casual about XP these days this doesn't seem as outlandish as it has before when I am sure others suggested it.

Cardoor
02-19-2015, 09:27 PM

Since we're being so casual about XP these days this doesn't seem as outlandish as it has before when I am sure others suggested it.

It wouldn't be enough to overcome the xp loss when someone dies that some people seem to care about. I actually do not need an incentive myself, so if your suggestion worked...great!

Zephea
02-19-2015, 10:03 PM
It wouldn't be enough to overcome the xp loss when someone dies that some people seem to care about. I actually do not need an incentive myself, so if your suggestion worked...great!

Make it 2% then.

The death thing is meant to be a bonus - helps to distinguish from people you don't want to play with because they get upset when people die.

Rofaust
02-19-2015, 10:16 PM
Max trap xp doubled to 30% not too long ago. Even 5% per extra person wouldn't be too crazy. I'd gladly trade higher grouping bonuses for the bravery streaks we have now; encourage grouping instead of discouraging it.

moo_cow
02-19-2015, 11:25 PM

I recall the devs saying in a video that the exp penalty was going to be changed to the person who dies only. Of course I could just be pulling this from no where, but I swear I remember this being talked about.

Qhualor
02-19-2015, 11:52 PM
I recall the devs saying in a video that the exp penalty was going to be changed to the person who dies only. Of course I could just be pulling this from no where, but I swear I remember this being talked about.

i hope its not true, but i wouldn't be surprised if it is.

Powerhungry
02-20-2015, 12:00 AM
Max trap xp doubled to 30% not too long ago. Even 5% per extra person wouldn't be too crazy. I'd gladly trade higher grouping bonuses for the bravery streaks we have now; encourage grouping instead of discouraging it.

The trouble with applying an exp bonus for the number of players in the party is when to apply it?
If someone starts soloing a quest and has 5 other people (or 11 in a raid) join before completion how is that calculated?
If a full party runs a quest and some have to leave (or DC) before completion, how is that bonus calculated?

Rofaust
02-20-2015, 12:27 AM
The trouble with applying an exp bonus for the number of players in the party is when to apply it?
If someone starts soloing a quest and has 5 other people (or 11 in a raid) join before completion how is that calculated?
If a full party runs a quest and some have to leave (or DC) before completion, how is that bonus calculated?

True. I'd say probably count everyone who does not have a late entry xp penalty inside the dungeon at the end of the quest. Perhaps not perfect but fair and harder to abuse.

Xionanx
02-20-2015, 07:54 AM
100% agree..

Drop bravery bonus entirely, and instead give me an additional 10% XP per party member on Elite and 5% per party member on hard. (or MORE).

Overnight grouping problems would be solved.

Zephea
02-20-2015, 08:24 AM
I like the bravery bonus. I just think it's silly it counts above 5. If it didn't count beyond I guess it only needs to be 4 then it would be less of an large internet appendage for people and people might be more relaxed about breaking it.

I'm fairly sure we pointed this out at the time it was introduced. Just sayin'.

TrinityTurtle
02-20-2015, 09:32 AM
I agree this would not be at all game breaking, however, I think it wouldn't really motivate the people who aren't grouping now. THese people ignore ransack, conquest, and trap bonuses now. That is a lot more xp than even the 2% per person.

Lonnbeimnech
02-20-2015, 09:46 AM
Change the xp "penalty" for someone dying to only effect the person that died.

Get rid of dungeon scaling in hard and elite.

Lonnbeimnech
02-20-2015, 09:48 AM
100% agree..

Drop bravery bonus entirely, and instead give me an additional 10% XP per party member on Elite and 5% per party member on hard. (or MORE).

Or people make 5 dummy accounts and multibox for a permanent +50% xp.

Uska
02-20-2015, 09:53 AM

yah 2% would be better and 3% would be ideal as a fully party would be more than the amount you could lose to a death.

Uska
02-20-2015, 09:53 AM

only people who have said that have been some people and its a bad idea.

Uska
02-20-2015, 09:54 AM

yeah more than 3% isn't a good idea per extra person and make hirelings not count

Saekee
02-20-2015, 10:37 AM
how about a carrot AND a stick?

10% loss if anyone dies
10% bonus if all make it plus 2% per person

MadCookieQueen
02-20-2015, 11:22 AM

^This

Granted depending on your PC the resources might be a bit too intensive, but for many people it would be a good "safe" bet into getting that XP. Otherwise you'll potentially run into people who will do the "just stay at the entrance...if you move I'm dropping the quest and no free/easy xp for you". Of course LFMs go up with the "pikers only" sure you've got a group but you've done nothing productive with them.

I do like the idea and really do think there has to be a significant bonus to encourage grouping. I'm just not sure how you would be able to award the bonus in a way that actually encourages full group participation (aka not pikers/dummy accounts).

Uska
02-20-2015, 11:47 AM

10% loss if anyone dies

I like it

holfrar
02-20-2015, 12:17 PM

I believe this is now in place.
My friend and i are running some characters through epic TR'ing, we both are vip, have tomes of learning, ship XP buffs, and we run the same XP pots as well, so we get exactly the same XP for everything.

We were running one of the Wheloon quests (can't remember the name but it's the one where you defend the 'camps' in the sewers) when my net went down.
when i reconnected i was stood (full health and SP) next to my soul stone.
I lost the 10% XP bonus, he didn't.

Zephea
02-20-2015, 01:56 PM

Leaving at 2% for a full 10% ... sure why not? Ever done the dualbox, lead them around to each different quest thing? It's a lot of work. All power to them if they can be bothered.

JOTMON
02-20-2015, 01:57 PM

This makes sense..

10% loss if anyone dies

I would just add the 10% bonus to full group...No party bonus if less than full.

MisterCanoeHead
02-20-2015, 02:01 PM
Since we're being ridiculous anyway. Why not make it so that you get 200% more xp, triple loot, and immunity to death with a full group.

Also, make it so that if you are soloing you automatically get a red skull and debuffs.

Would that work?

MadCookieQueen
02-20-2015, 02:23 PM
Since we're being ridiculous anyway. Why not make it so that you get 200% more xp, triple loot, and immunity to death with a full group.

Also, make it so that if you are soloing you automatically get a red skull and debuffs.

Would that work?

Throttle down the crazy there....the OP suggestion wasn't ridiculous nor game shattering.

MisterCanoeHead
02-20-2015, 02:37 PM
Throttle down the crazy there....the OP suggestion wasn't ridiculous nor game shattering.

The Op started with 1% per party member, which was then quickly raised to 2% by another poster, then 3%, then 5%, then 10%...

I just carried on the lunacy to it's eventual destination in an accelerated manner.

Xionanx
02-20-2015, 03:46 PM
I suggested the 10% per additional party member because it INCLUDED the suggestion that bravery bonus is gone.

Max bravery bonus is 50% on Elite.. so.. 10% x 5 = 50% By removing the 50% bravery bonus and instead giving a 50% bonus for having 5 party members you reach the SAME bonus, just now you are encouraged to group rather then solo.

IMO if:

1. Death Penalty is removed entirely
2. 10% Bonus per party member beyond 1st (yes, RAIDS would get 110% bonus.. more raids PLS!!)*** Assuming that hirelings DO NOT COUNT
3. An "Open Party" Bonus of 10% is given if you set the party to "Open" when you enter the quest AND have at least 1 empty slot.
4. Dungeon scaling is removed from HARD and ELITE dungeons.

In this way, a "Solo" person who enters a quest and sets it to open is going to get a minimum of 10% bonus if for whatever reason no one joins the quest. If 4 additional party members join and the party is STILL set to open, then they get the full 50% AS IF a 5th person had joined, and.. if a 5th person DOES join, they still get the full 50%.

If the goal is to both remove the "Solo Incentive" and "ANTI Grouping" mechanics of "Bravery Bonus" while simultaneously giving people an EQUAL incentive to group, then what I propose is exactly what is needed.

Again, my reasoning is as follows:

Death Penalty - Discourages adding "Noobs" to the party. As someone who TR's and or a vet, you dont want to risk someone you dont know joining your party and dieing, costing you 10% of YOUR XP.

Open Party - Players need to be able to start quests on THEIR schedule rather then waiting around for a "Full" party. By giving at least a 10% bonus of starting with the party open to joiners, people would still be able to start the quest solo and get "Some" bonus if they finish before anyone joins.

Dungeon Scaling - This has been an "Anti Grouping" mechanic every since it was introduced. It was designed to make quests "Easier" because people COULDN'T get groups.. what it became was an INCENTIVE to NOT PARTY AT ALL, because despite the "Lies" I see on these forums all the time about people wanting the game to be harder, the TRUTH is that people always choose the "Easiest" path to the same result.. IE... if I can solo the quest in 10 minutes and all the monsters are easier to kill and I get the same XP as I do with a party.. VS getting a party ALSO takes 10 minutes to complete but the enemies are harder to kill and I get ZERO additional XP plus run the risk of somoene dieing or a higher risk of me dieing.. I am going to SOLO.

Bravery Bonus - Discourages running quests on anything other then ELITE. It also reduces the spread of viable character levels to group with, however the 50% bonus is REQUIRED to level in a SANE NON-FRUSTRATING manner if you are NOT running supreme XP pots 100% of the time (duper trash:mad:).. So, if you are going to remove it, it needs to be replaced with an EQUAL bonus.. IE.. 10% per party member beyond 1st.

MisterCanoeHead
02-20-2015, 04:07 PM
I suggested the 10% per additional party member because it INCLUDED the suggestion that bravery bonus is gone. *snip*

I'm not sure if your post is sarcasm or serious. If you are serious, then Turbine might as well just use my suggestion, it's about as equally ludicrous as yours.

Xionanx
02-20-2015, 04:37 PM
I'm not sure if your post is sarcasm or serious. If you are serious, then Turbine might as well just use my suggestion, it's about as equally ludicrous as yours.

I am 100% serious. Exactly "How" is my suggestion ludicrous. Details.

Zephea
02-20-2015, 04:40 PM
Love dungeon scaling, love bravery bonus. Please don't dumb the game down any more. I'm only suggesting this because we've been getting stupid amounts of 20% xp every so often lately - for enough times when people are most likely to play that it's getting silly anyway.

MisterCanoeHead
02-20-2015, 05:00 PM
I am 100% serious. Exactly "How" is my suggestion ludicrous. Details.

You might as well just ask for all people who prefer to solo content to be banned.

Seriously...how do you think any of your suggestions would be good for the overall health of the game?

*facepalm*

Xionanx
02-20-2015, 11:42 PM
You might as well just ask for all people who prefer to solo content to be banned.

Seriously...how do you think any of your suggestions would be good for the overall health of the game?

*facepalm*

So, its your position that my suggestions would some how stop solo's from solo'ing?

How?

If my suggestions are implemented someone who solo's an Elite quest would still get 10% XP bonus rather then the 50% bravery streak they currently get. They also would not be getting an "Easier" dungeon due to dungeon scaling. So.. by making "Elite" hard to solo again and reducing the solo XP bonus down from 50% to 10% I might as well be telling all solo's to just quit playing?

As the game is right now, people who want to group and the ones who are being told not to bother. The content is easier to solo and runs less risk of you loosing XP if you solo.. So my "Solution" to encourage grouping solves that by making the reverse true.

However, there is nothing stopping you from continuing to solo, in fact you can just keep right on running elite quests on solo, you just wont be getting 50% more XP for excluding other players. Hardly "Banning" solo'ers.

Uska
02-21-2015, 09:19 AM
I believe this is now in place.
My friend and i are running some characters through epic TR'ing, we both are vip, have tomes of learning, ship XP buffs, and we run the same XP pots as well, so we get exactly the same XP for everything.

We were running one of the Wheloon quests (can't remember the name but it's the one where you defend the 'camps' in the sewers) when my net went down.
when i reconnected i was stood (full health and SP) next to my soul stone.
I lost the 10% XP bonus, he didn't.

must have been a bug or he lied to you its still there just experimented

holfrar
02-21-2015, 10:57 AM
must have been a bug or he lied to you its still there just experimented

Right after seeing this comment did a bit of investigating (suppose it always helps when you know what you are talking about)
Checked the quest, it was Friends in low places, and realized that you get XP for protecting the camps, so working it out, it would seem that i did not receive the XP for 'saving' that camp. (I DC'd halfway through the fight and when i reconnected, the fight was over).

That would explain our XP difference.

Thanks for pointing that out, now i will stop derailing this thread :)

bbcjoke
02-22-2015, 02:17 PM
100% agree..

I think this one is good enough, but values should be a little lower. Bravery bonus only works on the first time you complete the quest, while this one would work every time and thus be abused. I think values such as +1%/2%/4% for N/H/E for each other non-hireling party member would be good (+5%/10%/20% with a full party). Maybe bravery bonus could be kept but its values hould definetely be decreased.

hunzi2010
02-22-2015, 05:13 PM
apologies for my reply guys to both the game players and devs for the following, but I have mentioned this before and also have some new input.

number 1, DDO has quests that must be completed solo, so they have the coding to develop this. so why not code the quests that you need 1 person for easy, 2 for hard and 3 for elite.
come on people this is supposed to be an MMO, not Solo.......

Also I have been playing a bit of lotro lately which has been a nice change, but in that game, also owned by turbine, they have instances like the DDO quests where at lvl if it says a full party required that means a full party required. I even went into a level 65 quest with some level 95's and we still got killed, so the coding is there I feel, this would stop the ubers for ubering and get everyone involved playing together. which is what we should all be doing.

so if I have myself and a friend wanting to run EE quest, we put up an lfm for a 3rd person, hi im blah blah blah, never run this before, no worries welcome and come on in, this is how we do this quest and off you go.

yeah I know im going to cop some awesome responses, but hey lets face it, there are 2 groups here, the elitists and the rest. we should all be a happy community working and helping each other out, that way this community grows and the game develops more.
anyway thanks guys, my rant.. hahaha
take care.

ssgcmwatson
03-01-2015, 07:13 PM
How about changing the current bonus to:
+5% if you survive
+1% for each other party member who survives

Fanaval
03-24-2015, 11:59 AM

That's the problem.

Bloodskittle
03-25-2015, 01:51 AM
Not signed

Daine
03-25-2015, 02:26 AM

/signed...

...though not for party members, for extra "player characters".

There would also have to be a rule about when they joined, ie. some would get 5 people to step in just before you finish, etc. Maybe:

each extra player character in the party adds 1% xp to the quest xp if they have no late entry penalty at the time of completion?

MisterCanoeHead
03-25-2015, 06:19 PM
I seriously hope Tubine has the wherewithal to not listen to any of these suggestions.

Grouping is already easier then soloing, no further incentives are required.

Postumus
03-25-2015, 08:42 PM
100% agree..

I think it would encourage grouping, but I think a lot of soloers would probably be frustrated and not happy about the change.