PDA

View Full Version : could you turn down the repeaters?

dontmater
02-19-2015, 03:01 AM
the blink blink blink is abit loud...

some of us do like the latest direction the game has been going (things getting fixed)

this is just something small, like the next time someone is messing with sound files

ohh and maybe the von 5 (getting quest noise) volume too

sell it as a hot fix in the store... i would pay.. but then again.... if they made a volume control for players mics i would pay 5000 for that.. 7500 if it saved setting for each player

PsychoBlonde
02-19-2015, 09:35 AM
You could just turn down your combat sounds, you know.

dunklezhan
02-19-2015, 10:57 AM

I think the point is that the relative volume is off balance, or appears to be. Repeaters are loud compared even to the sound you get when hitting a bugbear assassin in melee (which makes a lovely satisfying CLANG by the way). Repeaters have quite a high pitch 'clink' noise, it probably just comes through a bit sharp and could do with turning down a notch compared to other sound effects.

PsychoBlonde
02-19-2015, 12:25 PM
I'm not saying the sound is ideal, just that there's a ready in-game fix for it if it annoys you--turn your combat sounds down.

dontmater
02-19-2015, 01:42 PM

but then i wouldn't hear the sounds i want to hear...you know.....

JOTMON
02-19-2015, 02:10 PM
I'm not saying the sound is ideal, just that there's a ready in-game fix for it if it annoys you--turn your combat sounds down.

Well, if they don't want to work with the players that are being inundated with the obnoxious overly loud repeater compared to other weapons. I guess we can just refuse repeater users to the group.
Unfortunate alternative.. to exclude players.. but that would solve the problem in the short term.

dontmater
02-20-2015, 12:09 AM
master volume 1.00 all others 0.01 i think this is the way most people have the sounds set. at least if you wana hear most voice chat

RD2play
02-20-2015, 12:33 AM
The problem is, that it seems that new sounds that get added over time do not get synchronised with the sounds already in game.

a simple example of this is that some DM voice shout your ear while others are barely noticeable. and that with the same settings for audio.

To me this smells like a case of NO sound synchronisation, an easy fix would be for turbine to drop all their audio files through a synchronizer, to get them all to be at the same sound level or dB, this would ensure that the user settings are actually going to be more useful. However, if done wrong, it could also lead to audio degradation. meaning sounds might become hackling or even get lost as they get removed/altered by the filters (pick the right ones!) you might need an audio guy to do this right, not a programmer.... Also we have to realize some audio files where recorded over 8years ago, and might even have been recorded using different software, this could make synchronising the sounds very difficult if not impossible..

so for a fix at this moment fiddle with your settings till YOU think its right...

GL

JOTMON
02-20-2015, 07:37 AM
The problem is, that it seems that new sounds that get added over time do not get synchronised with the sounds already in game.

a simple example of this is that some DM voice shout your ear while others are barely noticeable. and that with the same settings for audio.

To me this smells like a case of NO sound synchronisation, an easy fix would be for turbine to drop all their audio files through a synchronizer, to get them all to be at the same sound level or dB, this would ensure that the user settings are actually going to be more useful. However, if done wrong, it could also lead to audio degradation. meaning sounds might become hackling or even get lost as they get removed/altered by the filters (pick the right ones!) you might need an audio guy to do this right, not a programmer.... Also we have to realize some audio files where recorded over 8years ago, and might even have been recorded using different software, this could make synchronising the sounds very difficult if not impossible..

so for a fix at this moment fiddle with your settings till YOU think its right...

GL

DM Voice is screwed. it is so annoyingly loud I had to just turn it off completely.
Even at .01 it overwhelmed all the other sounds..
I think I permanently lost some hearing the first time I had it set to 50%. and walked into some quest where the full blown surround sound of the GM blew out my ears.
The audio is scale screwy across the board.. Master Volume at 100% and everything else at .01.. and still coming in too loud but cant hear party members until you turn it off completely has been a long time problem
Customizable party volume would be nice too.. a rightclick party member icon.. volume up/down....

dunklezhan
02-20-2015, 07:57 AM
Master Volume at 100% and everything else at .01.. and still coming in too loud but cant hear party members until you turn it off completely has been a long time problem
Customizable party volume would be nice too.. a rightclick party member icon.. volume up/down....

I use a single ear piece headset - you can set voice to go through different audio outputs than the rest of the sounds. Everything else comes out through speakers, and voice is piped directly to one of my ears, and the directional mic means there is no echo or speaker feedback (that anyone has mentioned to me). The earpiece sits over the ear, so does not particularly block out the sound from my speakers, it just means that the voice is always loud enough unless the other person has their mic too low.

Absolutely nothing to do with repeater sounds of course and I'm not saying individual party member volume controls wouldn't be nice! I'm just saying for about £20, you can immediately solve your voice audio volume vs the rest of the game audio issues.

kaisoul
02-20-2015, 08:16 AM
sad to say the games voice chat options has been lacking for a long time running now.
im still surprised servers have not banded together to just run a free voice chat server to by pass all that in game drama.
Though i will admit i have used far worse in game voice chats in the past.

JOTMON
02-20-2015, 08:31 AM
I use a single ear piece headset - you can set voice to go through different audio outputs than the rest of the sounds. Everything else comes out through speakers, and voice is piped directly to one of my ears, and the directional mic means there is no echo or speaker feedback (that anyone has mentioned to me). The earpiece sits over the ear, so does not particularly block out the sound from my speakers, it just means that the voice is always loud enough unless the other person has their mic too low.

Absolutely nothing to do with repeater sounds of course and I'm not saying individual party member volume controls wouldn't be nice! I'm just saying for about £20, you can immediately solve your voice audio volume vs the rest of the game audio issues.

Speakers are not an option, everyone using the Computers for gaming in the house use full headsets, or are sleeping watching TV, or whatever else they are doing.
Nobody else wants to have another person's game blasting out the speakers.. the drama that would ensue would be a nightmare..

dontmater
02-20-2015, 04:04 PM
well i will try a 128 band eq. but it's not something someone should have to do