PDA

View Full Version : The Feats Suggestion Thread

Kristii
02-18-2015, 01:07 PM
Welcome to the Feats suggestion thread. Feel free to post any suggestions you have concerning feats: ones that don't exist that you'd like to see, ones that exist but you think could be improved, whatever. For me personally, this is one that's been bugging me a little bit:

Whirlwind Attack: This is a Cleave attack that goes +4(W) in a 360 degree arc around the player.

This is a cool feat, but it's also just about completely inaccessible to any character except fighters, because these are the prereqs:

Combat Expertise: Stance: Exchange 5 attack for 10% bonus to AC
Dodge: +3% Dodge
Mobility: +2 max dex bonus, +2% dodge, +4 AC while tumbling
Spring Attack: No penalties to damage rolls when moving, +2% dodge

You have to take five feats to get Whirlwind Attack! It would be different if it was the final destination of a chain of useful DPS feats (like the TWF, THF, or SHF chains), but who would take a string of 4 defensive feats to finally reach the cool attack at the end EXCEPT a Fighter, and then only because they have feats coming out their ears?

I know, I know. The reason this is this way is because it's a mirror image of the prereqs for Whirlwind Attack in Tabletop D&D, and after all that's what DDO is based off of. However, tabletop doesn't have Epic Destinies. It doesn't have an Enhancement system. It doesn't have lvls 21-28. That train has already left the station. I don't think making Whirlwind Attack accessible to a variety of builds will destroy the feel of DDO.

So that being said, I'd like to see this feat's prereqs revised a little bit. I don't see what Combat Expertise has to do with anything. The rest...I guess I can see how they make sense, but it would make much more sense if Whirlwind Attack was put at the end of Power Attack - Cleave - Great Cleave. Either that, or it should have only two defensive prereqs rather than four. That way a DPS build would maybe toy with the idea of taking them. Right now, I don't know anyone who would consider it!

bsquishwizzy
02-19-2015, 01:23 PM
Welcome to the Feats suggestion thread. Feel free to post any suggestions you have concerning feats: ones that don't exist that you'd like to see, ones that exist but you think could be improved, whatever. For me personally, this is one that's been bugging me a little bit:

Whirlwind Attack: This is a Cleave attack that goes +4(W) in a 360 degree arc around the player.

This is a cool feat, but it's also just about completely inaccessible to any character except fighters, because these are the prereqs:

Combat Expertise: Stance: Exchange 5 attack for 10% bonus to AC
Dodge: +3% Dodge
Mobility: +2 max dex bonus, +2% dodge, +4 AC while tumbling
Spring Attack: No penalties to damage rolls when moving, +2% dodge

You have to take five feats to get Whirlwind Attack! It would be different if it was the final destination of a chain of useful DPS feats (like the TWF, THF, or SHF chains), but who would take a string of 4 defensive feats to finally reach the cool attack at the end EXCEPT a Fighter, and then only because they have feats coming out their ears?

I know, I know. The reason this is this way is because it's a mirror image of the prereqs for Whirlwind Attack in Tabletop D&D, and after all that's what DDO is based off of. However, tabletop doesn't have Epic Destinies.

It’s that way in tabletop because it’s a huge CC melee tactic, and should be inaccessible to anyone who does not invest heavily into melee feats…namely fighters (given that they are the go-to do-all melee class in the game).

I’m not sure I’d want a Sorc having access to that given that they are mainly casters, not melee, and therefore should have said limitations imposed on their melee capabilities.

So no, I disagree.

MadCookieQueen
02-19-2015, 02:01 PM
However, tabletop doesn't have Epic Destinies. It doesn't have an Enhancement system. It doesn't have lvls 21-28. That train has already left the station.

Sorry, you're just wrong.

1st edition didn't have much except to just keep leveling - so if this was back during 1st edition...you'd be half right
2nd edition had Dungeon Master Option: High-Level Campaigns that took characters form 21-30.
3rd edition the Forgotten Realms book had epic levels discussed and eventually there was an Epic Level Handbook.
3.5 (which the majority of DDO is based on...as an fyi) Dungeon Master's Guide and various source books (Complete series) all had rules on Epic Leveling for PnP.
4th edition has Epic Destinies...including Exalted Angel, Fatesinger, and Magister...plus others that were renamed for DDO uses

As for Enhancements...PnP had Presitge Classes.

Enhancements are the way to grant prestige class abilities within DDO. Tempest, Thief-acrobat, Elemental Savanat, Warpriest and etc. are also all prestige classes out of PnP. Many of the abilities line up with some of the core ideas of the prestige class.