PDA

View Full Version : Confused about Exp Penalty

Phanes
02-16-2015, 07:58 AM
So I see a lot of people farm dungeons for fast Exp case in point people do Black Mausoleum over and over because it is so fast. From another thread I gathered the best way to speed run for Exp is to do the dungeon on Elite X 3, Hard x 1, then Normal x 1. So first assuming that is the correct order how long do you have to wait for a dungeon to reset? If that is not the correct order what is the best order for Exp runs?

Thanks

Maquist
02-16-2015, 09:00 AM
From checking the wiki here:http://ddowiki.com/page/Quest_ransack, it looks like the half-life for the penalty is 18 hours from last completion.

Impaqt
02-16-2015, 09:05 AM
From checking the wiki here:http://ddowiki.com/page/Quest_ransack, it looks like the half-life for the penalty is 18 hours from last completion.

Half life? DDO is radioactive? o.O

Ransack is reduced 50% 18 Hours after your last Completion. and then another 50% 18Hours after that.

50% is 50%. not half.

If you ransack a quest to 60% penalty, 18 hours later you will be at a 10% Penalty.

Thisi s why its very popular to do 2 runs and then move on to next quest when farming XP. 18 Hours later, you can run it again at full XP.

Bluegirl_Two
02-16-2015, 09:11 AM
So I see a lot of people farm dungeons for fast Exp case in point people do Black Mausoleum over and over because it is so fast. From another thread I gathered the best way to speed run for Exp is to do the dungeon on Elite X 3, Hard x 1, then Normal x 1. So first assuming that is the correct order how long do you have to wait for a dungeon to reset? If that is not the correct order what is the best order for Exp runs?

Thanks

The maximum XP on day 1 is going to be Ex5, H, N. You then must wait 18 hours for the XP penalty to reset. On day 2 and beyond the maximum XP is going to be Ex3.

Did some math and you might squeeze out a bit more XP doing Ex5 on day 1. Suppose E is worth 1000 XP. Day 1 would give you:

E1 -- 1800
E2 -- 1000
E3 -- 0800
E4 -- 0600
E5 -- 0400

Total would be 4600 XP (plus any bonuses) and you'd have a 60% penalty to get rid of. After 18 hours 50% is removed, so the penalty would be 10% to start day 2. Day 2 would give you:

E1 -- 0900
E2 -- 0700
E3 -- 0500

Total would be 2100 (plus bonuses). Grand total would be 6700 and you'd have a 50% penalty to get rid of. After another 18 hours the penalty would be 0 to start day 3. Day 3 and following would give you:

E1 -- 1000
E2 -- 0800
E3 -- 0600

Total each day is now 2400.

Doing the quests with just 4 elites on day 1 loses you 100 XP.

Turns out the player who said Ex5 (and that we all piled onto, me included) may be right. Perhaps someone else can check my math. Also, note that bonuses are based on unadjusted XP so 15% ransack would be the same 150 XP every run, etc. Or at least I think that's how it works.

Phanes
02-16-2015, 09:24 AM
So Ex5, H, N then wait 18 hours. So that being said what is the point of holding a level? Just so you can do lower level content faster?

psykopeta
02-16-2015, 09:27 AM
The maximum XP on day 1 is going to be Ex5, H, N. You then must wait 18 hours for the XP penalty to reset. On day 2 and beyond the maximum XP is going to be Ex3.

Did some math and you might squeeze out a bit more XP doing Ex5 on day 1. Suppose E is worth 1000 XP. Day 1 would give you:

E1 -- 1800
E2 -- 1000
E3 -- 0800
E4 -- 0600
E5 -- 0400

Total would be 4600 XP (plus any bonuses) and you'd have a 60% penalty to get rid of. After 18 hours 50% is removed, so the penalty would be 10% to start day 2. Day 2 would give you:

E1 -- 0900
E2 -- 0700
E3 -- 0500

Total would be 2100 (plus bonuses). Grand total would be 6700 and you'd have a 50% penalty to get rid of. After another 18 hours the penalty would be 0 to start day 3. Day 3 and following would give you:

E1 -- 1000
E2 -- 0800
E3 -- 0600

Total each day is now 2400.

Doing the quests with just 4 elites on day 1 loses you 100 XP.

Turns out the player who said Ex5 (and that we all piled onto, me included) may be right. Perhaps someone else can check my math. Also, note that bonuses are based on unadjusted XP so 15% ransack would be the same 150 XP every run, etc. Or at least I think that's how it works.

iirc your 2nd day you'll start with -30% instead of the -10% you have listed, the reason is because... well, you completed the quest at -60% so you are in fact, qualified for -80% (so after 18 hours you are at -30%)

also 1 thing is total xp, another thing is xp/min (specially after the quest xp changes, there're really few quests which worth farmng on elite, i can remember only 2 right now: shadow crypt and litany, rest are better run once each diff at most, most times ignoring norm)

Wipey
02-16-2015, 09:30 AM
Yeah but lower difficulty can be often done much faster, and with less risk. There is minimal xp difference between elite and hard or normal after you get bravery / streak bonus.
I think most people would do hard and normal for first time bonus at most. And only for the best xp quests like Spies, Shadowcrypt, Litany, Missing, Frame work, Sane asylum or Gop.
Or even moving to next quest might be better "xp/min".

Theolin
02-16-2015, 09:40 AM
You also have to consider the 20% daily play through bonus,
So if I do Ex3 + Nx1 on day 1 & and save 1st time H for day 2
If you go for 3 days on 1 quest then save 1st N for day 3

PsychoBlonde
02-16-2015, 11:35 AM
Half life? DDO is radioactive? o.O

Ransack is reduced 50% 18 Hours after your last Completion. and then another 50% 18Hours after that.

50% is 50%. not half.

If you ransack a quest to 60% penalty, 18 hours later you will be at a 10% Penalty.

Thisi s why its very popular to do 2 runs and then move on to next quest when farming XP. 18 Hours later, you can run it again at full XP.

It's usually more efficient to just move on and do different quests--you can level FAR past the point where it's worthwhile to go back and repeat anything. There are a very few quests that are worth repeating--Litany of the Dead is one. XP ransack never drops below 80% these days (although optionals can drop down to zero, so if a quest relies on optionals for its good xp, repeats are less valuable), so you can literally farm some quests *forever*. Some are so fast to complete (if you know the tricks) that even at 80% ransack, it's still better xp/min than anything else at that level. Litany is this way, although largely because the other quests at that level are (mostly) a giant pile of poo in the xp department.

Impaqt
02-16-2015, 11:41 AM
It's usually more efficient to just move on and do different quests--you can level FAR past the point where it's worthwhile to go back and repeat anything. There are a very few quests that are worth repeating--Litany of the Dead is one. XP ransack never drops below 80% these days (although optionals can drop down to zero, so if a quest relies on optionals for its good xp, repeats are less valuable), so you can literally farm some quests *forever*. Some are so fast to complete (if you know the tricks) that even at 80% ransack, it's still better xp/min than anything else at that level. Litany is this way, although largely because the other quests at that level are (mostly) a giant pile of poo in the xp department.

there really is no such thing as "Moving on" when it comes to EPic XP Farming.

2x EH Von3, 2x EN Von4, 2x EN Spies, 2x Wiz King Is pretty much a Daily run for folks leveling destinies...

Bluegirl_Two
02-16-2015, 01:18 PM
iirc your 2nd day you'll start with -30% instead of the -10% you have listed, the reason is because... well, you completed the quest at -60% so you are in fact, qualified for -80% (so after 18 hours you are at -30%)

also 1 thing is total xp, another thing is xp/min (specially after the quest xp changes, there're really few quests which worth farmng on elite, i can remember only 2 right now: shadow crypt and litany, rest are better run once each diff at most, most times ignoring norm)

I did ask someone to check my math. :D

So, if that is correct then it is Ex4, H, N followed by Ex2. I never really could figure out when daily play through applied, so maybe it is correct that players should save the hard and normal runs for days 2 and 3. Seems that if you're at 0% penalty the play through is supposed to apply anyway. Don't know.

I agree that it is all pretty moot for heroic XP. Never really necessary to do that much farming on heroics. An elite streak should suffice for most players and E, H would certainly get the job done in almost all cases.

Good observation about epic. I personally don't care for WizKing or for Spies. I'm also too bored in most cases to run any quest twice in a day unless with a group that is doing so. My normal is VoN3, VoN4, DA, Lords of Dust, Servants of the Overlord. Not as fast and not as much XP, but I get the point -- which is that these repetitions are more in the epic content where people are farming out epic lives or destinies.

Then again, I'm not usually in a big hurry to get to L28 so going slower is just a "me" thing.

Lonnbeimnech
02-16-2015, 01:37 PM
max xp would be to do 6 min runs, 10 per hour, for 18 hours. Just sayin'

Impaqt
02-16-2015, 02:17 PM
max xp would be to do 6 min runs, 10 per hour, for 18 hours. Just sayin'

heck, why not do 5 minute runs then? 12 per hour! for 22 Hours!

:rolleyes:

PsychoBlonde
02-16-2015, 04:25 PM
there really is no such thing as "Moving on" when it comes to EPic XP Farming.

2x EH Von3, 2x EN Von4, 2x EN Spies, 2x Wiz King Is pretty much a Daily run for folks leveling destinies...

I have several characters with fully-maxxed out destinies, just running past lives on them now when I get bored. I've found that if you run an elite streak on epics you rarely get past Gianthold before you cap. There's a TON of xp even at epic levels.