PDA

View Full Version : EK's Arcane Barrier...Another Palmaster Inhibition

LevelJ
02-15-2015, 01:57 PM
Unusual builds are great, but not when something inhibits them. My melee wizard suffers from this. I combined Palemaster with Eldritch Knight to get some self-healing and wraith miss chance/dodge, but this is hurt by the ability from EK, Arcane barrier. This enhancement is one of those like MRR that was bugged to mitigate Negative Energy Healing along with standard damage. 25% less healing can be pretty annoying when you fall below 50% health and need a quick Negative Energy Burst, especially when dedicating points to EK already reduces the overall Negative Spell Power.

It might be so much easier to just drop the enhancement entirely, except it is a prerequisite for Tensor's Toggle. So you spend the minimum points on it so it lasts the shortest duration possible, even though it would make for a really nice ability if it worked.

I really enjoy the Eldritch Knight tree despite my initial misgivings, and I would greatly appreciate if the devs could get this fixed. I have tested and reported this bug thoroughly, it just seems to have flown under the radar some.

-J

Bluegirl_Two
02-15-2015, 02:12 PM
Are there things you can do to increase the spell power of your negative energy so that it over heals you? Can you avoid dropping to below 50% health? It seems to me that there are things you can do to mitigate the effects of Arcane Barrier.

Not that I'm suggesting it isn't a bug. It is just that you'll probably have more success finding a work around than waiting on Turbine to decide if it is WAI or a bug (and waiting even longer for Turbine to figure out how to fix it if they agree it is a bug).

General_Gronker
02-15-2015, 02:44 PM
Sounds WAI to me.

Bluegirl_Two
02-15-2015, 08:05 PM
Sounds WAI to me.

I don't think it is WAI. The game has been pretty consistent in exempting characters from player based spell effects. If it did not then Pale Master death auras would suck HP out of party members, party cast webs would hold group members in place, turn undeads would send Pale Masters and their pet skeletons running, wildly swinging weapons would cause glancing blows against nearby party members and so on.

Of course, that does not mean that it is NOT WAI. We actually don't know what Turbine intended -- which is what makes it a fair question to address. Maybe Turbine felt that the PM/EK combo would be too powerful (hard to envision with BF, bard revamp, paladin revamp -- but hey). If so then that's fine. We might disagree but if it is acknowledged as WAI then maybe there are work arounds. That's why I asked about increasing negative spell power, over healing (actually, over harming :p) and asked about monitoring HP more closely.

I think it was a legitimate question. I'm sort of looking forward to a reply from Turbine (although I'm not holding my breath, I'd end up looking like this -- :mad:).

nobdog
02-15-2015, 08:37 PM
I'd say it's debateable but probably WAI just based on how other abilities and items that block damage do, particularly those that specifically block negative damage. There are quite a few "good" effects that most characters find desireable that block pale master healing. Debateable though since arcane barrier is designed to block all incoming damage I could easily see it going either way.

As far as it goes you won't be missing much not taking tensors. Melee doesn't really increase speed much by the?*extra BAB. I suppose if you don't have access to Harper tree you might actually build for strength, in which case having the tensors could be situationally useful, though I'd still say not useful enough to burn that many enhancements on it rather than just slotting the spell. Mostly you will be better off in melee to go tier 5 in PM for improved shrouds. Slow casting times suck even if you plan to mostly melee. You'll still be casting a lot of spells or else you might as well be a paladin.

Bluegirl_Two
02-15-2015, 09:59 PM
As far as it goes you won't be missing much not taking tensors.

Not sure I agree. The Tensor enhancement is an always on toggle. The change in BAB means more attacks which in turn increases double-strike, off-hand (if TWF) and/or glancing blows. If genuinely melee focused it is probably a "must have" enhancement.

What makes it a tough choice is that it is a niche build since T5 enhancements in the other trees, including Harper, are pretty attractive to most players. Still, if EK is your thing then the Tensor's toggle is a virtual requirement for the build.

caberonia
02-15-2015, 10:06 PM
Personally I think this is WAI. However it shows that while some classes have multiple enhancment trees that synergize, or at the vary least don't counter act each other some others seem to be completely at odds and weren't designed with each other in mind. While not a huge issue taken singularly this does cause some build options to be far less effective reducing logical build choices. (I have a similarly built char and while he's fun I would never expect him to be truly effective in harder EE content)

One would THINK that trees of the same classes would at the very least not hamper each other but for whatever reason that's not the case.

changelingamuck
02-15-2015, 10:32 PM
Arcane barrier also blocks the +1 negative energy heals on-hit from the vampire improved shrouding enhancement.

nobdog
02-16-2015, 01:02 AM
Not sure I agree. The Tensor enhancement is an always on toggle. The change in BAB means more attacks which in turn increases double-strike, off-hand (if TWF) and/or glancing blows. If genuinely melee focused it is probably a "must have" enhancement.

What makes it a tough choice is that it is a niche build since T5 enhancements in the other trees, including Harper, are pretty attractive to most players. Still, if EK is your thing then the Tensor's toggle is a virtual requirement for the build.

Unfortunate in practice this is simply not true. In fact I actually already addressed this point in my post. The attack speed boost from BAB for a melee character is actually fairly little. For ranged it is HUGE, yes, but not as big for melee. You will get a ton more mileage out of the PM T5 for a melee character than from EK. Trust me, I'm running a PM EK build. Definitely not worth dropping 30+ points into the EK tree.

janave
02-16-2015, 01:07 AM
I use barrier to pass thru traps, not sure where else i would really put those points, as i also get the medium armor prof from EK.

Lonnbeimnech
02-16-2015, 03:39 AM

Maybe on a build with only 5 wiz levels, but on a real wiz, they get the spell anyway.

Bluegirl_Two
02-16-2015, 09:43 AM
Maybe on a build with only 5 wiz levels, but on a real wiz, they get the spell anyway.

The spell is short duration and costs spell points. The enhancement is toggle on and runs forever (well, at least until it gets toggled off somehow). Definitely not even close to being the same.

Unfortunate in practice this is simply not true. In fact I actually already addressed this point in my post. The attack speed boost from BAB for a melee character is actually fairly little. For ranged it is HUGE, yes, but not as big for melee. You will get a ton more mileage out of the PM T5 for a melee character than from EK. Trust me, I'm running a PM EK build. Definitely not worth dropping 30+ points into the EK tree.

BAB on melee at L20 is 20/20/25/30/30, for arcane at L20 it is 10/10/15/20. That is an attack animation every time and a 20% reduction in total attacks (not counting double-strike chances or off-hand attacks).

My suspicion is that you use a lot more PM abilities than EK ones and are not really melee first but more likely SLA and spell first. Nothing wrong with that and I could well be wrong. But, I don't see anything in PM T5 that makes that a better choice for melee.

nobdog
02-16-2015, 10:39 AM
The spell is short duration and costs spell points. The enhancement is toggle on and runs forever (well, at least until it gets toggled off somehow). Definitely not even close to being the same.

BAB on melee at L20 is 20/20/25/30/30, for arcane at L20 it is 10/10/15/20. That is an attack animation every time and a 20% reduction in total attacks (not counting double-strike chances or off-hand attacks).

My suspicion is that you use a lot more PM abilities than EK ones and are not really melee first but more likely SLA and spell first. Nothing wrong with that and I could well be wrong. But, I don't see anything in PM T5 that makes that a better choice for melee.

With the exception of two handed fighting, your attack animations don't have as much impact on your dps as youd like to believe. If you have 4 or 5 attacks in your chain it starts over after. What matters is attack speed, which you net a little less than 3% from those last ten points of BAB. The attack chain was important when that higher to hit bonus was important, nowadays damn near everything hits. Two handed fighting the animation affects your glancing blows. The first attack in chain has them, the second doesn't. The way the animations are timed you can often get better dps by prempting the last animations in the sequence "twitch" fighting.

That said, having a spell you can cast be always on is maybe worth a couple points, it's definitely not worth 15. More worth it for someone who benefits from the strength boost, but Harper is really what's making these builds shine. Depending on your shroud, t5 in PM is giving you something you cannot cast. Vamp form gets a small life steal and a lowered chance to be one shotted by light damage(i run vamp form in easy content so I don't have to push as many buttons or worry about casting my auras unless a challenge walks along. Wraith gets 5% more incorporeality and a dex bonus.wraith is like my defensive stance on archer heavy content. Lich gets +2 int(more everything) and 10 points of self healing spellpower.

I melee 90% of the time, but if I didn't have spells to throw there wouldn't be much point in being a melee wizard over a paladin or even fighter. You are never going to be as good in toe to toe melee as a real melee class with real melee enhancements. I have tensers on my hotbar, every little bit helps, but I rarely find it to be worth the time to cast it. The benefit of the melee wizard is his utility and self healing. Plus it's cool to lay down an acid fog and firewall and run around inside with an envenomed blade turning everything to goo.

If I ran with tensers "toggled on" I'd be clawing my eyes out every time I wanted to heal myself and my casting cooldowns are doubled. Having to remember to unbuff yourself is a silly thing in the heat of battle.

Like I said if you build for strength, tensers is gaining you +4 to strength(or 2 more than your get from an alchemical weap with str bonus) and a little less than 3% attack speed.

Compare that to any other melee classes t5s and you will see why it's a joke, especially considering you can cast the spell any time you'd like once you hot level 11 wizard.

Lonnbeimnech
02-16-2015, 11:51 AM
With the exception of two handed fighting, your attack animations don't have as much impact on your dps as youd like to believe. If you have 4 or 5 attacks in your chain it starts over after. What matters is attack speed, which you net a little less than 3% from those last ten points of BAB. The attack chain was important when that higher to hit bonus was important, nowadays damn near everything hits. Two handed fighting the animation affects your glancing blows. The first attack in chain has them, the second doesn't. The way the animations are timed you can often get better dps by prempting the last animations in the sequence "twitch" fighting.

That said, having a spell you can cast be always on is maybe worth a couple points, it's definitely not worth 15. More worth it for someone who benefits from the strength boost, but Harper is really what's making these builds shine. Depending on your shroud, t5 in PM is giving you something you cannot cast. Vamp form gets a small life steal and a lowered chance to be one shotted by light damage(i run vamp form in easy content so I don't have to push as many buttons or worry about casting my auras unless a challenge walks along. Wraith gets 5% more incorporeality and a dex bonus.wraith is like my defensive stance on archer heavy content. Lich gets +2 int(more everything) and 10 points of self healing spellpower.

I melee 90% of the time, but if I didn't have spells to throw there wouldn't be much point in being a melee wizard over a paladin or even fighter. You are never going to be as good in toe to toe melee as a real melee class with real melee enhancements. I have tensers on my hotbar, every little bit helps, but I rarely find it to be worth the time to cast it. The benefit of the melee wizard is his utility and self healing. Plus it's cool to lay down an acid fog and firewall and run around inside with an envenomed blade turning everything to goo.

If I ran with tensers "toggled on" I'd be clawing my eyes out every time I wanted to heal myself and my casting cooldowns are doubled. Having to remember to unbuff yourself is a silly thing in the heat of battle.

Like I said if you build for strength, tensers is gaining you +4 to strength(or 2 more than your get from an alchemical weap with str bonus) and a little less than 3% attack speed.

Compare that to any other melee classes t5s and you will see why it's a joke, especially considering you can cast the spell any time you'd like once you hot level 11 wizard.

exactly.

Also if you are already casting haste and rage every few min, this is just one more button. Considering that pallys and fighters will keep it going with a stack of scrolls, it's not a big deal for a wiz.

LevelJ
02-16-2015, 04:07 PM
I'd say it's debateable but probably WAI just based on how other abilities and items that block damage do, particularly those that specifically block negative damage. There are quite a few "good" effects that most characters find desireable that block pale master healing. Debateable though since arcane barrier is designed to block all incoming damage I could easily see it going either way.

Specifically what other abilities are you referring to? I extensively tested the newer deathblock (the one that says it absorbs a percentage of negative energy) during Lamania for Epic Orchard testing and surprisingly, there was no drop in the average healing for a Palemaster wearing one. This was one key concern I had a while back concerning deathblock on the Epic Belt of Thoughtful Remembrance (http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Epic_Belt_of_Thoughtful_Rememberance). As far as I know, Palemasters are still exempt from this, since my DC-based Palemaster still wears one with no apparent hindrances (not the melee one I mentioned before). Also, the wiki's article on Negative Energy Absorption backs this up (http://ddowiki.com/page/Negative_Energy_Absorption). That is really the only ability I can think of besides the PM enhancement Cloak of Night, which really does inhibit healing, but states this explicitly (http://ddowiki.com/page/Pale_Master_enhancements#Tier_Three)...and I avoid it as a result.

Honestly, I really don't believe the Devs have it out for Palemasters. And not just because of the one instance I cited in the OP about the bug MRR had originally. Negative Energy as a healing source has had a very long history of causing unintended bugs: triggering spell absorption charges, death ward, and even a really annoying one I had where negative energy burst triggered Magister's Necromancy Augmentation on me, giving me a large Fortitude save debuff. It is probably because Negative Energy is considered first and foremost as a damage type, and this may cause some problems when it is used on someone for healing, if the game immediately interprets the spell as an attack. However, all of these have been diligently fixed thanks to the devs, (and this is greatly appreciated) but I'm starting to think it has to be on a case-by-case basis. It is almost certainly not WaI, but until they hear about it, they can't fix it.

That said, if for some unknown reason it is WaI, I would be grateful if a Dev would clarify this and fix the Arcane Barrier description so it indicates as such. I just doubt it is, because afaik Arcane Barrier doesn't inhibit standard Positive Energy Healing. If it had, there might be more complaints.

-J

Bluegirl_Two
02-16-2015, 06:11 PM

I see where you are coming from. I'm not entirely certain that you are correct. I've not taken the time to video attack animations and to see how long they actually take. My understanding was that the attack sequence length was the same for every character -- that is, the 5 melee attacks took the same amount of time as the 4 arcane attacks. That the animations start over again is irrelevant then.

Of course, if it is just that each single animation takes the same time then in 20 animations the fighter goes through their sequence 4 times while the wizard does so 5 times. If that is how it is actually working then the number of attacks means nothing at all.

The BAB values do have some meaning but generally speaking once a character is well geared they are only missing on a 2 in any case so BAB 0 or BAB 30 is all the same for any specific attack. Probably only becomes important on higher level content or difficulties where the "miss on 2" doesn't apply.

I'm not very sympathetic to the problem of casting cooldowns. I would take the argument regarding Harper v EK or PM T5 as worth considering. I'm not very sympathetic to the challenges of running in undead form when the quest doesn't favor that.

Still, I see the different perspective.

Sehenry03
02-16-2015, 06:30 PM
I see where you are coming from. I'm not entirely certain that you are correct. I've not taken the time to video attack animations and to see how long they actually take. My understanding was that the attack sequence length was the same for every character -- that is, the 5 melee attacks took the same amount of time as the 4 arcane attacks. That the animations start over again is irrelevant then.

This is how I have always been told it worked to. You have a certain amount of time that your attacks happen in. Lets use 6 seconds as an example as I don't know the exact number. If a fighter has 20/20/18/15/13 he would attack 5 times in those 6 seconds. If a wizard has 20/18/15/13 he would attack 4 times in those 6 seconds. And haste effects effectively reduce that 6 second span by the amount listed.

Again this is what I was told a long time ago and this has always been how I personally have tried to understand it. Would love to know if have been wrong LOL.

The flaw where you attack 4 times then start over and attack 5 times and start over would mean no matter what lvl or what class with however many attacks...you would always have the same speed regardless.

nobdog
02-16-2015, 07:53 PM
This is how I have always been told it worked to. You have a certain amount of time that your attacks happen in. Lets use 6 seconds as an example as I don't know the exact number. If a fighter has 20/20/18/15/13 he would attack 5 times in those 6 seconds. If a wizard has 20/18/15/13 he would attack 4 times in those 6 seconds. And haste effects effectively reduce that 6 second span by the amount listed.

Again this is what I was told a long time ago and this has always been how I personally have tried to understand it. Would love to know if have been wrong LOL.

The flaw where you attack 4 times then start over and attack 5 times and start over would mean no matter what lvl or what class with however many attacks...you would always have the same speed regardless.
Which is why BAB also adds to your attack speed. The returns are just diminishing.

http://m.ddowiki.com/page/Base_Attack_Bonus

Lots of good reading here. Also links to the thread with mrcows work on attack speed.

The system of adding attacks at higher BAB is a relic from P&P dungeons and dragons, and does next to nothing here at this point. There are no rounds, so no attacks per round.

Edit: honestly if you have the toon it's easy enough to test. Turn on(or cast) tensers and swing some, then turn it back off and swing some. The chain actually tops off at 4 animations either way with single weapon melee. You just get more "better" animations at higher end. This equates to those hits having a higher attack bonus. In todays game that attack bonus is basically pointless due to changes in how defense works. A 20% increase to attacks would be noticeable. Haste gives 15% and that you can definitely see the difference between on and off.

Angelic-council
02-16-2015, 07:55 PM
Just to remind everyone:
- Turbine made a lot of mistakes in the past.. for example:

1) Epic destiny {Exalted Angel} ability used to kill friendly PaleMasters (because they are considered undeads).

2) Implosion and Wail of banshee used to target friendly allies.

3) Fireball SLA used to determine its DC using STR modifier.

Now this, I bet turbine forgot about PaleMasters that they use negative spells to heal themselves (or just bad developing skills). Because Arcane Barrier clearly absorbing Aura/Energy bursts for the reason that those are attack spells.

Here is the description of Arcane Barrier: When your HP drop below 50% of maximum, you are immediately protected by an Arcane Barrier that reduces all INCOMING damage by 25% for the next 10/15/20 seconds. It clearly states "incoming damage", but for PaleMasters it's not a damage, but healing. Turbine just simply programmed this spell to react on everything that's damaging and affect players. It's a mistake in my opinion.

nobdog
02-16-2015, 08:12 PM
Specifically what other abilities are you referring to? I extensively tested the newer deathblock (the one that says it absorbs a percentage of negative energy) during Lamania for Epic Orchard testing and surprisingly, there was no drop in the average healing for a Palemaster wearing one. This was one key concern I had a while back concerning deathblock on the Epic Belt of Thoughtful Remembrance (http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Epic_Belt_of_Thoughtful_Rememberance). As far as I know, Palemasters are still exempt from this, since my DC-based Palemaster still wears one with no apparent hindrances (not the melee one I mentioned before). Also, the wiki's article on Negative Energy Absorption backs this up (http://ddowiki.com/page/Negative_Energy_Absorption). That is really the only ability I can think of besides the PM enhancement Cloak of Night, which really does inhibit healing, but states this explicitly (http://ddowiki.com/page/Pale_Master_enhancements#Tier_Three)...and I avoid it as a result.

Sorry I missed this question in the tangent discussion.

My belt of thoughtful rememberence and other similar items were blocking the vampirism healing from shroud of the master vampire is why I thought this. Maybe that's the part that's not WAI. I never did extensive testing on the level of healing my auras were giving I just assumed it was hurting all my heals based on that it was killing the vampirism heals.

LevelJ
02-19-2015, 01:06 PM
Okay, Wednesday I questioned Cordovan on what his opinion on arcane barrier is. Now granted, he may or may not have been involved in that area of design and wasn't too familiar with the ability, but he did give his best guess that Arcane barrier should not be hurting negative energy healing.

Video: Here (http://youtu.be/zPh20KlyQNA?t=23m15s) to 24:52, and here (http://youtu.be/zPh20KlyQNA?t=32m41s) to 33:00.

That being said, there appears to be an alternate but related argument (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/455804-Devs-plz-answer-new-Deathblock-items-are-nerfing-PM-s-selfheal-is-it-bug-or-WAI) over whether Deathblock stops PM healing in another article. At the time of Epic Orchard it did not, but it looks like I may have to test it again for a more recent answer.

Again, we could really use some dev clarification here, thanks.

EDIT: Tested the thing about deathblock. Like Arcane barrier, it is inhibiting healing too. So much for putting on a Belt of Thoughtful Remembrance. I really hope they don't call this WaI. The wording is more ambiguous on Deathblock.

-J

Angelic-council
02-19-2015, 02:13 PM
Okay, Wednesday I questioned Cordovan on what his opinion on arcane barrier is. Now granted, he may or may not have been involved in that area of design and wasn't too familiar with the ability, but he did give his best guess that Arcane barrier should not be hurting negative energy healing.

Video: Here (http://youtu.be/zPh20KlyQNA?t=23m15s) to 24:52, and here (http://youtu.be/zPh20KlyQNA?t=32m41s) to 33:00.

That being said, there appears to be an alternate but related argument (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/455804-Devs-plz-answer-new-Deathblock-items-are-nerfing-PM-s-selfheal-is-it-bug-or-WAI) over whether Deathblock stops PM healing in another article. At the time of Epic Orchard it did not, but it looks like I may have to test it again for a more recent answer.

-J

It's clearly bugged mate. We don't even need that clarification. We just have to submit the ticket and hopefully developers will respond here. Reducing negative healing by 25% because it's too powerful doesn't make any sense what so ever. It's quite all simple, Arcane Barrier suppose to protect its user from all incoming attacks, but apparently they missed the point that "negative damage" (which is considered an attack) is actually a healing source for PaleMasters. This is the exact same problem back when light damage from EA used to kill PaleMasters (and people were thinking PM just got nerfed). No it was not, and not with this case, come on lol.

Sehenry03
02-20-2015, 01:35 PM
EDIT: Tested the thing about deathblock. Like Arcane barrier, it is inhibiting healing too. So much for putting on a Belt of Thoughtful Remembrance. I really hope they don't call this WaI. The wording is more ambiguous on Deathblock.

Yeah this has been a well known issue for awhile. My friend plays a PM and he had issues even when Epic orchard was released so I'm not sure how your stuff was different.

The point is...it IS a known issue. it has been known for awhile now. It has been bug reported numerous times in game by at least a dozen people I know and I'm sure more.

I'm not sure what more clarification your after.

LevelJ
02-20-2015, 07:36 PM
Yeah this has been a well known issue for awhile. My friend plays a PM and he had issues even when Epic orchard was released so I'm not sure how your stuff was different.

The point is...it IS a known issue. it has been known for awhile now. It has been bug reported numerous times in game by at least a dozen people I know and I'm sure more.

I'm not sure what more clarification your after.

Okay, maybe clarification was the wrong word. A better one would be acknowledgement and/or addition to the known issues list. :)

-J

Sehenry03
02-20-2015, 07:44 PM
Okay, maybe clarification was the wrong word. A better one would be acknowledgement and/or addition to the known issues list. :)

-J

Yeah we know that they are aware of the issues...now if they would just say they plan on fixing it LOL

BD_
02-20-2015, 09:51 PM

-J

for the most part, newer deathblock items inhibit PM neg energy healing while older ones don't - this is from the change when deathblock items added on the % neg energy absorption to them. If I recall correctly, devs said this is WAI. As far as I know the arcane barrier thing is a bug though.