PDA

View Full Version : Cosmic Warlocks,etc. (and other warlock ideas)

Failedlegend
02-02-2015, 08:03 PM
Just wanted to post this in hopes that non-infernal Warlocks will be an option.

The pacts that I can remember of the top of my head are Infernal, Fey, Cosmic and Elemental but IIRC there was an "Arcane?" one that allowed you to make a pact with powerful spellcasters.

Also I'd like to see Warlocks be a manaless class just give them SLAs that are either 0 cost...or possibly HP cost since Warlocks are a Con-Based class (although it might be Con OR Cha based on chosen pact)

Lastly please have one of the prestige lines work in some demonic unarmed claw fighting stuff its a fairly popular archetype for Warlocks in PnP...Acolyte of the Skin would be a good prestige to fill in any blanks

I actually see Warlock relying heavily on prestige trees to function whereas the base warlock class pretty much consists of:

1. Basic Eldritch Blast (damage scales with Lock level)
2. Light -> Medium Armor No ASF
3. PRR/MRR (since DR is useless)
4. Fast Healing (similar to PM, Monk or Cleric aura except its passive, self-only and heals any creature type whether undead, fleshy or construct but unaffected)
5. Some UMD Boosts
6. Innate Energy Resist

Anything that changes how the basic eldritch blast functions is based entirely in the trees

Here's what I see for 3 warlock trees

1. Infernal Pact - This tree focuses on alot of infernal and/or Unholy stuff enhancing and manipulating your eldritch blast to improve your melee prowess...a tensor's tranformation style animation (clear purpley) on the characters weapon of choice to represent the "eldritch blast" would be cool. This Tree uses your Con OR Cha whichever is higher. If your unarmed they should show up as "Claws" (see the claws in the pic...the rest of the pic is irrelevant)

http://darksidersgame.ru/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/grim-claws-of-ice.jpg

2. Cosmic Pact - This is your Caster/Support Tree it's Con Based it grants the most versatility to your E-Blast allowing for cones, rays, AOE Blasts and even persistent Force based AOEs it also includes a handful of unique buffs. Maybe a tier 5 or Core 3/6 ability that allows ALL arcane spell casting to be Con-Based and allow for Light/Med Amrir casting for some mult0class synergy.

3. Fey Pact - This is your Healing tree and is entirely Cha based I'm not much of a healer so I'll leave this to others mostly but I'd definitely like to see a drain life type ability. This could alternatively be called "Black Guard" and be SELF-healing and grant NO ASF Heavy armor, some sneak attack and poison related stuff.

I'll go into more details with at least the first 2 soon and maybe a rough sketch of the 3rd one but this is my vision of warlock so far.

Note: Alternatively Warlocks being Con OR Cha based could just be a base feature of the class (I'd actually prefer it this way) instead of reliant on the pact but it's reliant on Pact in PnP so I decided to stick with that. I'm fine either way as long as Con Based makes it in somehow

HatsuharuZ
02-02-2015, 08:17 PM
Actually, Fey pact also focuses on crowd control, such as illusion and enchantment spells.

Oh, and you mentioned "cosmic"? I think you meant the Star Pact, which is a pact made with abominations from other realities. Think Chtulhu. It's called the "Star" pact because the Warlock makes the pact via the stars as an intermediary between himself and the Chtuloid entities, which have a tendency to drive people insane when directly viewed. Unlike other pacts, it's possible for the warlock not to know the true source of his/her powers.

Failedlegend
02-02-2015, 08:35 PM
No I'm specifically referring to Warlocks that gain their powers from the cosmos/stars/universe but maybe I just read the flavour text wrong and were talking about the same thing

HatsuharuZ
02-02-2015, 08:50 PM
Ah, okay.

By the way, possible patrons/pacts include any chaotic or evil outsider, so Eladrin are a possibility. And don't forget that while you can make a pact with a fiend, you don't have to be evil to do so. Warlocks tend to be morally ambiguous, or sometimes get tricked into making pacts with fiends or fey.

I don't feel that pacts make good trees. Lorewise, the warlock initially makes only 1 pact. Also, there are a few warlocks who inherit their powers, iirc. It would be better to use PrCs such as Hellfire Warlock or Acolyte of the Skin for enhancement trees.

Failedlegend
02-02-2015, 09:06 PM
Ah, okay.

By the way, possible patrons/pacts include any chaotic or evil outsider, so Eladrin are a possibility. And don't forget that while you can make a pact with a fiend, you don't have to be evil to do so. Warlocks tend to be morally ambiguous, or sometimes get tricked into making pacts with fiends or fey.

I don't feel that pacts make good trees. Lorewise, the warlock initially makes only 1 pact. Also, there are a few warlocks who inherit their powers, iirc. It would be better to use PrCs such as Hellfire Warlock or Acolyte of the Skin for enhancement trees.

As long as we get a Clawlock and a Conlock I'm happy

I'd be fine with renaming my 3 trees to AotS (Clawlock), Hellfire Warlock (Caster) and Black Guard (Tanky Self-healer rogue poisner thing) than have the pacts be a Level 1 Warlock feat. I would like to see Hellfire warlcok have force or something as a secondary element since Fire is so commonly resisted/immune especially if warlock is released along with Epic Devils or other fire immune baddies.

As ffor alignment I have a feeling the requirement will be Chaotic due to the lack of evil alignments....I plan to make my Lock CG :D

HatsuharuZ
02-02-2015, 09:14 PM
As long as we get a Clawlock and a Conlock I'm happy

I'd be fine with renaming my 3 trees to AotS (Clawlock), Hellfire Warlock (Caster) and Black Guard (Tanky Self-healer rogue poisner thing) than have the pacts be a Level 1 Warlock feat. I would like to see Hellfire warlcok have force or something as a secondary element since Fire is so commonly resisted/immune especially if warlock is released along with Epic Devils or other fire immune baddies.

As ffor alignment I have a feeling the requirement will be Chaotic due to the lack of evil alignments....I plan to make my Lock CG :D

Yeah, and name him Wolverine! :D