PDA

View Full Version : Vengeful light drow

Szordrinn
01-27-2015, 03:32 PM
Hello guys,

I'm looking for a build that makes the synergy between Celestia, drow favored weapon and light damage from AoV with shield of condemnation. I explored the forums and didn't find exactly what i was looking for...

To achieve this, i have a toon that is on his second cleric life but has a +20 heart to have a past life different from the 1st. I wish it to be quite sustainable maybe with heavy armor or with evasion and dodge but a quite bunch of HPs.

I played with the planner and thought about classe splits with paladin, monk and cleric maybe bard...

Do you have some ideas ?

Was thinking of :
- SWF with an orb
- Maximize + Empower + Quicken to have full light spellpower without being annoyed while meleeing
- Mental toughness + Improved mental toughness + Epic mental toughness for crits
- tier 5 from Warpriest (Wrathful weapons, Divine vessel)
- crit boosts from Angel of Vengeance and/or cleric Divine Disciple

What is mandatory :
- drow race
- +5 supreme tome
- 1 x past life cleric
- 1 x heroic past life of your choice
- your choice between sun elf past life or another epic past life
- balance between melee and light caster (DC spells would be difficult to land if i want to be quite efficient in melee)

Thanks for your ideas :)

FuzzyDuck81
01-29-2015, 06:38 AM
The only problem with celestia is anything that adds an enhancement bonus will break the DR-breaking properties.

Having got that out of the way, I have a bladeforged 15paladin/4fvs/1wiz which is sacred defender tier 5, warpriest tier 4 (just enough to get ameliorating strike plus righteous weapons), AoV (just enough to get articles of faith & the light shield debuff) & reconstruct from racial, which uses greatswords.. and it's a great build, loads of fun to play & very solid in a fight.. primarily melee but with enough spellpower to make the few i use worth it, including energy burst as a twist :) I see no reason why a swf shortsword & orb version couldn't work just as well.

As a more hybrid-based version, maybe something like 12fvs/6paladin/2fighter? Have just enough AoV to get your archon (21AP), warpriest to get ameliorating strike & permablur (23AP) which leaves 36.. enough to get tier 5 in sacred defender (harboured by light & greater sacred defender stance) - very tight, but you'll be solid in a fight, have some decent spellpower, a good implement bonus to boost it & have some nice PRR & MRR - most of your "spell" damage will be coming from the archon, though when you get into epics twisting avenging light will be very good, and for bigger targets use divine punishment. Not sure how well it'll stack up against the primarily paladin version with that tasty Holy Sword spell, but should still be totally viable & effective.

tsteigner
01-29-2015, 09:54 AM
Hello guys,

I'm looking for a build that makes the synergy between Celestia, drow favored weapon and light damage from AoV with shield of condemnation. I explored the forums and didn't find exactly what i was looking for...

To achieve this, i have a toon that is on his second cleric life but has a +20 heart to have a past life different from the 1st. I wish it to be quite sustainable maybe with heavy armor or with evasion and dodge but a quite bunch of HPs.

I played with the planner and thought about classe splits with paladin, monk and cleric maybe bard...

Do you have some ideas ?

Was thinking of :
- SWF with an orb
- Maximize + Empower + Quicken to have full light spellpower without being annoyed while meleeing
- Mental toughness + Improved mental toughness + Epic mental toughness for crits

What is mandatory :
- drow race
- +5 supreme tome
- 1 x past life cleric
- balance between melee and light caster (DC spells would be difficult to land if i want to be quite efficient in melee)

you will be very hard pressed to fit all These feats you have listed into a FvS - build without very very hvy multiclassing and thereby loosing a lot of fvs casting ability
there's a couple nice FvS melee / caster build in the Forum most going twf : 2 Pal / 2 mnk / 15 fvs and either +1 more mnk or Paladin
you could also go 3 pala / 15 fvs / 2 fighter / ranger and use hvy armor

most of These builds go for maxed / closed to maxed Charisma and increase str via divine might

recommended feats : twf, itwf, gtwf, powe attack or precision, maximize, empower, quicken, impr. critical , overwhelming critical (if you take 2 mnk 1 free feat could go for mental toughness / toughness / dodge)
mnk-variant would also have good synergies with Adept + master of forms (running in mountain stance)

moriedhel
01-29-2015, 12:04 PM
This is just theorycrafting here but how about this:
12 Fvs / 5 brd / 3 ftr. Swashbuckle with devotion / radiance orb, get defensive stuff from fighter. Celestia will not break DR anymore because of swashbuckling adding +1 bonus, but you will gain a better crit profile to trigger radiance on it, which seems to be the only damage shield of condamnation multiplies according to the wiki.

Depending on how you want to spend your enhancements between AOV / Warpriest / SD / Warchanter maybe, you could go /4 brd / 4 ftr too for the extra feat. You can get good amount of PRR from warpriest / warchanter / SD and good strength bonuses from DM and SD. Good dodge, good buffs, laser canon.

Ancient
01-29-2015, 12:57 PM
Hello guys,

You could do this (as well as the game supports) with a simple tweak to the steel shrine build. (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/449262-Steel-Shrine)

Go either 14 pal/4 fvs/2 monk or 15 pal/4 fvs/1 fighter.

Four FVS levels is enough to get core 2 in AOV which provides Shield of Condemnation.

You still have the issue that the drow favored weapon breaks the celestia DR properties, but the build would support it if the game was ever fixed. (Still not sure that the drow tree is the optimal place to spend those points).

If I was not already past my Pally PDK TR, I might actually give 6 points in AOV a try just to see how it worked although my DPS didn't really need much help, its a solid build. Just wish the author would write up a few of the variants so people could see how they could work.

Szordrinn
01-29-2015, 03:10 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies :)

It's a pity that Celestia damage type is broken by Warpriest enhancements...

So paladin seems a good workaround with some FvS levels to get Shield and maybe some synergy with the paladin light damage from knight of the chalice ?
But many paladins levels would a bit make the build different and less caster...

Hope Celestia will be fixed soon, before it becomes useless compared with other weapons...

DrWily
02-21-2015, 01:47 PM
Hello guys,

Do you have some ideas ?

Was thinking of :
- SWF with an orb

What is mandatory :
- drow race
- +5 supreme tome
- 1 x past life cleric

I've been thinking of a split involving 3 bard (for swashbuckling, already aware it breaks Celestia too) on one of my own future lives, and it could work for you as well. It does lock out Paladin though (and the light bonuses you can get from that) so there's choices. You can spend fewer points on Swashbuckler to get better critting (blindness does help to avoid damage) and CHA to dmg, or spend more points to get KotC/Sacred bonuses and CHA to saves (which seems to be the better of the two, but I'm not gonna go testing it. I have enough on my hands atm)

eachna_gislin
04-30-2015, 03:14 AM
Thanks everyone for your replies :)

It's a pity that Celestia damage type is broken by Warpriest enhancements...

So paladin seems a good workaround with some FvS levels to get Shield and maybe some synergy with the paladin light damage from knight of the chalice ?
But many paladins levels would a bit make the build different and less caster...

Hope Celestia will be fixed soon, before it becomes useless compared with other weapons...

I have a helf pure paladin dual-wielding celestias right now. She's awesome and fits right into EE raids. I have her set up with gear and destinies so I can swap between Divine Crusader and Shadowdancer. She has one set of heavy armor and one set of light.

She wields two Celestias 99% of the time, only swapping to dual Deathnips when she's around low-fort trash or stuff that's resistant to light damage.

In Shadowdancer she sneak attacks and assassinates with evasion.

In Divine Crusader she puts on Heavy Armor and is on the front lines.

I wanted the T5's from KotC, and I needed 18 ap for the full sneak attack line Rogue Dilly in Half Elf, so I didn't have enough AP left to take a capstone in one of the other trees. KotC's capstone also breaks Celestia. This makes my build capstone-less. You can do it (capstone in one, T5 in KotC) if you don't mind only having a few AP left over for the race or third tree. This is a problem only with pure builds.

A channel buddy plays a 15 paladin/something/something splash (maybe monk?) with sneak dice and it does insane damage. He uses Deathnips most of the time, and has a set of Thunderforged shortswords for boss beating.

Re: the devs fixing Celestia...don't count on it. They've already said it's too much work for the return. They could revisit that decision, but any fix to Celestia would have the player base up in arms that all the CitW weapons should be fixed/re-balanced, and that just multiplies the work load.