PDA

View Full Version : Astral shards auction for freeplayers

Nyrvjjn
01-21-2015, 01:32 PM
Freeplayers should have a way to be able to gain access to the astral shards auction. How about if they bought this access with turbine points in any way?

Sidewaysgts86
01-21-2015, 02:13 PM
Freeplayers should have a way to be able to gain access to the astral shards auction....

Just curious, why should they have access to it?

EnziteBob
01-21-2015, 02:21 PM
Just curious, why should they have access to it?

it is a VIP perk.

The shard market has already hurt the AH if everyone could use it the AH would die completely. If they where going to do such a thing they would need to put price limits. There is already items on the ASAH that are close to $100 or more. I wish they would get rid of it all together, but that is not going to happen lol.

Fedora1
01-21-2015, 02:23 PM
So obviously VIP can access.

Can premium players access the ASAH?

If so, then as a FTP just buy some astral shards from the store, then you are a premium player.

Edit - okay brain fart. Skip the above. You would need to buy some TP with real money or something to become a Premium account.

Karadon_II
01-21-2015, 02:39 PM
I suspect the restriction against F2P is probably to stop AS related shenanigans from nefarious types with throwaway accounts. Other games probably have similar restrictions to prevent "Gold Farmers" so perhaps it's the same idea [and one of the reasons there are no Gold Farmers on DDO].

Livmo
01-21-2015, 02:43 PM
So obviously VIP can access.

Can premium players access the ASAH?

If so, then as a FTP just buy some astral shards from the store, then you are a premium player.

Edit - okay brain fart. Skip the above. You would need to buy some TP with real money or something to become a Premium account.

Buy the DDO Starter Pack form the DDO Market when its on sale for $2.50. That will make a FTP account Premium. You will also go from 2 to 4 charecter slots. The Starter Pack also gives the Catacombs pack, 250 TPs (can spend on 30 shards at 195 in teh DDO Store), Permanant Level 3 Gold Seal Hire, scorpion pet, and some pots.

Premium players can use the shard exchange. I've never been VIP and use the shard exchange all the time.

Lastly if you're super lucky you can win shards on a daily silver dice roll:

http://i.imgur.com/RyENifo.jpg

Fedora1
01-21-2015, 02:49 PM
Buy the DDO Starter Pack form the DDO Market when its on sale for $2.50. That will make a FTP account Premium.

Great idea, that's a bargain.

Nyrvjjn
01-21-2015, 04:51 PM
I believe there are players who enjoy the challenge of conquering things instead of buying them . It is fair to keep them out of this auction?

Douglas21
01-21-2015, 07:21 PM
Lastly if you're super lucky you can win shards on a daily silver dice roll:
Pretty sure that's an old screenshot. My first few shards came from daily dice early on, but I haven't seen any daily dice shard rewards since a few months after initial rollout, and I've had plenty of jackpot rolls since then. I believe they removed shards from daily dice rewards.

waryJerry
01-21-2015, 07:34 PM
On a related note, there ought to be ways to get shards in-game other than an ultra-rare win of the lottery (though I think I have won shards twice). The shard economy has never really taken off and that's because people are so hesitant to spend them because they're not exactly a great bargain in the store.

Karadon_II
01-21-2015, 07:50 PM
On a related note, there ought to be ways to get shards in-game other than an ultra-rare win of the lottery (though I think I have won shards twice). The shard economy has never really taken off and that's because people are so hesitant to spend them because they're not exactly a great bargain in the store.

Shards are also awarded for certain Monster Manual achievements.

Krelar
01-21-2015, 08:04 PM
I believe there are players who enjoy the challenge of conquering things instead of buying them . It is fair to keep them out of this auction?

If they prefer conquering things to buying things why would they want the AH in the first place?

Livmo
01-21-2015, 08:20 PM
Pretty sure that's an old screenshot. My first few shards came from daily dice early on, but I haven't seen any daily dice shard rewards since a few months after initial rollout, and I've had plenty of jackpot rolls since then. I believe they removed shards from daily dice rewards.

07/24/2014

Not that long ago:

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/445948-OMG-it-an-achievement-for-me-and-I-fell-outta-ma-chair-over-my-daily-Silver-Roll!!!?p=5387483&viewfull=1#post5387483

Livmo
01-21-2015, 08:33 PM

To turn it around, is it fair that people play the game and never contribute financially to its existence?

Will DDO suffer/close from a "Free Rider Problem" at some point, since it's ownership is corporate rather than governmental?

Revolted
01-22-2015, 05:08 AM

1st of all, being a premium player isn't costly, so if you want to get access to a feature that transits real money (AS=Real money, most of the time), it's just fair that you should invest in the game, even if it's only a couple bucks.

2nd of all the above argument is a counterargument to your own idea. If players want the challenge of conquering things why would they want to be able to enter an auction that costs RM (or any other auction...)?? Not really the best argument for you there.

But as I, and a lot of people before me, said, go to the shop, buy a couple TP's (I think it also works with mobile payments), and you're a Premium player, with all the perks included!

This said /not signed

cdbd3rd
01-22-2015, 05:39 AM

They're still there. I hit a 75 AS reward during the previous double XP week - that was this past November.

cdbd3rd
01-22-2015, 05:46 AM

Favor/MM reward TPs can be saved up to buy a handful of ASs.

Impaqt
01-22-2015, 08:28 AM

yes. it absolutely is.

DDO is not an inalienable right. Turbines in business to make money and they can restrict any part of the game they see fit in order to do so.

Faltout
01-22-2015, 09:26 AM
Freeplayers should have a way to be able to gain access to the astral shards auction. How about if they bought this access with turbine points in any way?
While I feel sorry I can't contribute to my guild AS deposits the way others do through the ASAH, I don't sweat over it. What I'm more sorry about is not being able to access the Monster Manual I no matter how many TPs I earn. Was the MM I declared as an exclusive item? I don't recall so. Why would it hurt to make it purchasable? (while ASAH could actually hurt the economy)

(also, that plat limit when TRing :p)
Anyway...

Krelar
01-22-2015, 09:47 AM
What I'm more sorry about is not being able to access the Monster Manual I no matter how many TPs I earn. Was the MM I declared as an exclusive item? I don't recall so. Why would it hurt to make it purchasable? (while ASAH could actually hurt the economy)

It's free to premium players (and of course VIP) I guess they didn't want to make it purchasable since anyone who spent any amount of money on the game at all gets it automatically.