PDA

View Full Version : Anyone done 17 rgr 3 rogue

Chonduu
01-20-2015, 04:20 PM
I have a 17 level ranger with many of the enhancements put in the arcane archer tree. I was thinking of adding 3 levels of rogue to get the sneak attack dice and then put more pts into the rogue sneak attack bonus enhancements.

Anyone tried this ? is it viable ?

Bill_Jones
02-11-2015, 10:42 AM
I've never tried adding rogue at the end of a build, just the first level (for skill points).

The Deepwood Sniper tree also gives some sneak attack options:
Core: Sneak Attack, +1 Sneak Attack Die
Core: Called Shot (Sniper Shot), mob vulnerable to sneak attacks for four seconds
Tier One: Stealthy, +1/+2/+3 to Hide and Move Silently (at rank 3, +1 sneak attack die)

For a rogue splash, the rogue level is commonly taken at level 1 for skill points and trap skills.
Using some Deepwood Sniper enhancements, you could stay pure ranger and still get some sneak attack damage and other benefits.
Enhancements can always be reset, so play around with the trees.

Grailhawk
02-11-2015, 11:53 AM
17 Ranger isn't a good stopping point. That said you have too many Ranger levels to do anything interesting with an archer anyways so 17/3 is probably just as good as a 20 or 18/1/1 which are probably the best options you have with out a LR.

bsquishwizzy
04-07-2015, 10:00 PM
I have a 17 level ranger with many of the enhancements put in the arcane archer tree. I was thinking of adding 3 levels of rogue to get the sneak attack dice and then put more pts into the rogue sneak attack bonus enhancements.

Anyone tried this ? is it viable ?

I've got a 16 Ranger / 4 Rogue (Technically 15 / 4 as I am on my last level) that is mostly AA. I took a few things in DWS - which is where your SA has synergy - to this end.

My opinion? It's "meh." Outside of the trapping aspects, I'd have a hard time making a case for those levels of rogue. Maybe I'm just not doing it right, but to me it seems like SA damage is more obvious and more functional in melee than it is with bows. Tempest might be another matter altogether.