PDA

View Full Version : U24 NovaSoul - Survivalist Palemaster Direct Damage that can raid heal

Ancient
01-15-2015, 05:09 PM
NovaSoul (a direct damage epic Palemaster build)
The NovaSoul is a direct damage build (Force/physical/light/fire [Or whatever flavor energy burst floats your boat]) build capable of raid healing, soloing epic elites and can be done as a first life character if desired. The NovaShiradi and NovaSoul builds are now merged into one since the goals of both can be met with a single build.

Overview
With the introduction of PRR/MRR on heavy armor, a plate mail wearing pale master is a solid defensive platform. With improvements to the Exalted Angel destiny, a palemaster can run in Draconic, Exalted Angel or Shiradi at epic levels and contribute in EE content. This is not a cutting edge top tier build. It does well, but the kill count will be out classed by many other builds. What is special about this build is the accessability to a first life, and the flexibility to do just about anything.

What is new
"Armor Up" was very good to the NovaSoul build. Replacing the two monk levels with heavy armor resolved the issue of how to get 2 monk, 2 FVS and level 9 spells in favor of not getting two levels of monk. The PRR/MRR is a huge help for survival, not just against physical damage but MRR works against light damage as well! Dropping monk actually freed up some feats because the previous build was spending feats to get the grandmaster stance... dropping monk was a net increase of one feat. The only real issue is that the new flexibility opens up so many options that it is difficult to post a singular build.

Build Basics:
17 Wiz/2 FVS/1 Splash (Discussed later)
Any Race although Elf/Drow/Sun Elf/Half Elf and Bladeforged are prefered
Alignment: Determined by the needs of the splash class

Feats
Non-Wizard Feats

Toughness
Insightful Reflexes
Shield Mastery
Improved Shield Mastery (Not every race/splash class can afford this)
Heavy Armor OR Adamantine Body. For Heavy armor, the Medium armor prequisite is provided by FVS.

These feats CANNOT be taken as a wizard bonus feat, the easiest way to mess up the build is to take too many wizard bonus feats as normal feats and then be left with an extra wizard bonus feat. You will need to use SOME normal feats to get feats listed in the wizard list... but make sure you always have enough left over to cover these.

Potential Wizard Feats

Maximize
Empower
Quicken
Enlarge - Great for MM SLAs, Divine Wrath and Cocoon
Extend
Mental Toughness
Improved Mental Toughness

Epic Feats

Epic Toughness
Epic Mental Toughness
Spell power whatever you want or skill focus spellcraft
Ruin
Hellball OR Forced Escape

With 17 Wizard levels, the build now has access to meteor shower and lessens the need for hellball. Forced escape provides an easy answer to failing crowd control type saves.

There is one heroic feat listed than what is provided by 17 wiz/2 fvs. This is where the splash class comes into play:

Cleric provides the heavy armor feat for free
Monk provides some saves and can use the monk feat to acquire toughness
Fighter provides the heavy armor feat for free as well as tower shield proficiency and shield mastery can be taken as a fighter bonus feat. Heroic completionists may want to chose this option for one more feat to fit the completionist feat.
Paladin provides the heavy armor feat for free, but not much else. Unfortunately, the one iconic that is paladin based... needs the body feat rather than the heavy armor feat.
Rogue/Arti won't provide an extra feat, but allow trap skills at an epic level. Either run with medium armor or drop improved shield mastery.

Skills
Spellcraft
Heal (for neg energy)
Perform (Several Shiradi Proc's are sonic damage)
UMD (Especially if you wish be an occasional healer)

Put the rest wherever you want, but it is a lot of points just to cover the basics

Enhancements Angel of Vengence - 11 points to get Just reward and 2 ranks of smiting
Archmage - 32 points to get Arcane Supremacy. If you wish to be a healer, pick up scroll mastery.
Palemaster - 21 points to get Wraith form.
Eldritch Knight - 6 points to get core 2 for 5 points of arcane spell failure reduction
Race Tree - 4 points to get -15 points of ASF if your race has it
6 points left over to do anything with that you please!

Ancient
01-15-2015, 05:10 PM
Background reading
If you are new to shiradi builds, I would at least skim, all of the following threads. If you are an expert, you probably don't need too.
Nova Shiradi (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/438460-Nova-Shiradi-Palemaster-Supremacy-Shiradi-build) was the U19 version of the build.
Grandmaster Scourge (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/422672-GrandMaster-Scourge-(Palemaster-Shiradi-AoV)) was the pre-U19 shiradi build i posted just after the enhancement pass went live. At the time, it was new and novel to me to have a shiradi wiz with the grandmaster stance. Over time, I have found that to be less and less of a defining factor for the build. The biggest defining factors are 1.) Wraith form + Dodge 2.) Arecane Supremacy 3.) Nova Shiradi style ED offensive twists.
Nova Soul (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/422628-U19-Nova-Soul-Direct-Damage-FVS) was a pre-enhancement pass direct damage FVS build. The angel of vengence PRE was used to boost fire/force/light damage and energy burst/boulder toss/wild shots was used to increase the offensive punch. Post enhancement pass, 2 levels of FVS still provide a significant boost to fire/force/light and Nova Shiradi continues the use of the same ED SLAs. The NovaSoul thread provides good background on layered defenses (still applies) and some numbers on Energy Burst/Boulder Toss/Wild Shots.
Just Shiradi (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/425312-Just-Shiradi-The-U19-shiradi-standard-(16-wizard-2-favored-soul-2-monk)) was a build write up by CDR. It is an excellent write-up and has some great information. It is a very dated now, and I have come to some different conclusions than CDR... but I recommend you read both and decide what playstyle is best for you.
Shiradi Wizard Plan For First Lifers (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/455095-Shiradi-Wizard-Plan-For-First-Lifers) is another write up for first life players. Although I think palemaster is also viable for first life players and I'm not sure 3 levels of FVS is the way to go, the build post is well written and has lots of good gear related advice.

Ancient
01-15-2015, 05:10 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPOIup_IJFY

Ancient
01-15-2015, 05:11 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11RMwM8OCjI
I had only done the raid twice before (once was a wipe) and both of those were years ago. I needed the favor for my 5k reward and no LFMs were up... This was my first try and I was figuring it out as I went.

Ancient
01-15-2015, 05:11 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvGGBXLkNfg
In this video, I play the build in the Exalted Angel destiny. The raw DPS is lower than shiradi, but wings sure are handy when you have an upset dragon after you!

Ancient
01-15-2015, 05:12 PM
Reserved for any additional videos.

Ancient
01-15-2015, 05:13 PM
With the U23 Armor Up release, the value of heavy and medium armor was greatly increased. By wearing heavy armor and a tower shield with shield mastery, the NovaSoul has greatly improved suitability over previous versions.

Arcane Spell Failure
The Wiki ASF entry (http://ddowiki.com/page/ASF) is a little confusing since it tries to present present and past values and all the options in one big entry.

To make things (overly) simple, to wear heavy armor you need to have 35 points of arcane spell failure reduction. Even a 5% chance of failure greatly reduces the effectiveness of any arcane caster. To get there:

Race - Elves, Half-Elves, Drow, Morninglords, Warforged and Bladeforged all have Teir 1 enhancements to reduce arcane spell failure by 15 points . (Total cost of 3 + 1 core = 4 enhancement points.
Sapphire of Spell Agility (http://ddowiki.com/page/Augment_Slot#Available_Augments) - provides 15 points of ASF at level 20. (10 at level 16, 5 at level 12)
Stuff that doesn't stack with the augment - Lesser Arcane Casting Dexterity/Arcane Casting Dexterity/ Lesser Arcane Sigil and Arcane Sigil can be found on equipment, but these do not stack with the ASF provided by the Sapphire of Spell Agility.
Stuff that does stack with the augment - Twilight (10%) and Greater Twilight (20%) modify the item that they are on, and thus do stack with everything else in this list.
Eldritch Knight - The EK Core 2 provides 5 points of ASF for 6 enhancement points. There is more ASF higher in the tree and in Core 4, but this build does not have the spare points to get them.

TLDR!
Epic levels if your race has ASF - 15 points from the race tree, 15 points from a blue augment and 5 points from the EK tree.
Epic levels if your race does not have ASF - 20 points from greater twilight on the armor and 15 points from an augment.
Heroic Levels if your race has ASF - 15 points from the race tree, 5 from EK and either greater twilight on the armor OR armor with less ASF and an arcane casting dexterity item someplace. (At level 16, a sapphire aug can replace the arcane casting dexterity item).
Heroic Levels if your race does not have ASF - 5 from EK, 20 from greater twilight on the armor AND an arcane casting dexterity item someplace (At level 16, a sapphire aug can replace the arcane casting dexterity item)

If you are planning an end game version of this build, I strongly recommend that you use a race with built in ASF. However, for a single TR life... it is not horrible to go with crafted armor that has the greater twilight prefix. Consider:

As far as I know, there is only one piece of equipment in the game that gives evasion:
Swim Like A Fish (http://ddowiki.com/page/Swim_like_a_Fish)

That item is limited to only work in the water, which keeps it from being one of the most powerful defensive items in the game. Yet heavy armor with no prefix or suffix is MORE powerful than an item that grants evasion. MRR works without a save
MRR works on spells that evasion does not work on
MRR stacks with other forms of damage reduction. Against fire damage I take just over 10% of the damage if I don't save. 50% (MRR) * 50% (Ice shield) * 67% (33% Fire absorb item) * 80% (20% Fire Absorb Item) * 85% (15% Shiradi Absorb). I can stand in EE fire traps and be fully healed by my aura.
PRR works vs physical melee damage where evasion does not

So, I know that it may not be elite to wear a simple crafted docent/heavy armor. But even though it is not glorious... it is still one of the best defensive items in the game.

Especially when you pair it with a shield. There are two notable shields that do not have ASF: Skyvault (http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Skyvault_Shield) - Is a tower shield that has no ASF. You get the PRR/MRR even without tower shield proficiency although you can get proficiency with masters touch.
Light and Darkness (http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Light_and_Darkness) - Is a heavy shield with no ASF
When picking a shield, heavy shields and tower shields have an additional bonus against damage that can be avoided with evasion. In the EE fire damage example, because I wear a heroic elite skyvault shield all the time... I take about 5% fire damage. If I make the save then it is 2.5% of the fire damage!

couple ASF tips:
* Lootgen Half plates have only 30 ASF, rather than 35. They offer same PRR. (less ac more max dex)
* waterworks end reward often includes a mithral shield
** mithral light shield gives 5 prr/mrr and has no ASF
** mithral heavy shield gives 10 prr/mrr and has 5% ASF. this one also doubles mrr vs evadable spells.

* also note: racial asf reduction enhancements don't work for shields

conclusions:
* at lvl 20, greater twilight half plate + blue slot -15% can nullify your asf for both plate and heavy mithral shield without AP expenditure

lootgen mithral plate (even if it still dropped) and named mithral plates are considered medium armor and grant less PRR/MRR. So yes, you need less ASF reduction. But you get less defensive benefits.

Here's what I use on my experimental human sorc (first life 28pb, just hit 20):
http://s11.postimg.org/c589v5ycj/Screen_Shot00013.jpg

PRR:
45 half plate
10 heavy shield
24 sheltering
20 elemental form
----
99 total

MRR:
45 half plate
10 heavy shield
24 sheltering
----
79 total

Arcane Spell Failure:
30 Half Plate
5 Heavy Mithral Shield (farm waterworks end reward)
----
35% total

ASF Reduction:
20 Greater Twilight
15 Sapphire of Spell Agility +15
----
35% total

AP wasted in Eldritch Knight:
0 total

Ancient
01-15-2015, 05:13 PM
There isn't much to add regarding shiradi that isn't already documented very well in many threads.

Some things to note:
The dodge enhancements may not be needed if you hit the heavy armor dodge cap without them
Wildshots does scale with spell power and can hit multiple targets... this is a great ability
Spell crits in Shriadi are based on the damage type of the proc, so you want to maximize your spell crit chance for almost everything.
Spell procs are checked on a per-hit basis. Chain missile generates more proc chances than magic missile and generates them on the target that you do NOT cast the spell at.

When in Shiradi, my twists are energy burst, embrace the light and boulder toss.

Energy Burst - is amazing, but I do tend to keep changing what type of damage this is depending on what content I'll be running a lot.
Boulder toss - still has the force chance to crit, I still haven't found something better to replace this with.
Embrace the light - Combined with MRR means I take less than full light damage, even in undead form. This was a huge.

Ancient
01-17-2015, 01:21 PM
Exalted Angel
The Exalted Angel tree got a revamp a while back and the changes are very friendly to non-fvs builds. So much so that for epic normal / epic hard, the build is just as fun in EA as it is in Shiradi!

What I use:

2 - Avenging Light
3 - Radiant Power 3
3 - Healing Power 3
3 - Endless Faith 3
3 - Embrace The Light 3
3 - Blood And Radiance
2 - Rebuke Foe (hardly ever remember to use iti)
1 - Leap of Faith (WINGS!)
2 - Divine Wrath
2 - Sun Bolt (Stuff evades it, but a merfolks blessing SLA would be better than Reborn in the light)

When adventuring
Twists - Energy Burst, Boulder Toss, Wild Shots
Weapon - My standard force power/lore weapon

Offensive capability:
The build packs three epic level AE attacks (Burst, Divine Wrath, Wild Shots). If Arcane Supremacy has not gone off recently, do a chain missilie pattern (Chain spell, Chain SLA, MM SLA, Chain Spell) to get it to proc before unleashing the epic AE attacks. For single target damage try to use boulder toss, avenging light and sunburst before falling back to the magic missile spam.

When healing
Twists - Rejuvenating Cocoon, Renewal, Whatever
Weapon - Positive spell power / Lore

Healing capability: AE Healing - Divine Wrath and Cure Moderate Wounds, Mass for AE healing. Now that divine wrath does not require charges to cast, it is available every 15 seconds and mass cure can be cast every 10 seconds. Positive spell power is pretty high since we max the heal skill (for death aura) and both SLAs benefit from max/empower.
Single target healing - Cocoon, Renewal, Heal Scroll.
Other - Scrolls for Res and restore, able to cast break enchantment, remove curse and max/empower Inflict Light Wounds (Please use cocoon instead)

Draconic
Draconic is fairly straight forward. Try to go fire if possible (to benefit from the FVS fire spell power) and supplement the epic level SLAs with fire spells. For twists, I use Empyrean magic, boulder toss and wild shots. Same as EA, try to get an arcane supremacy proc before casting the big booms if possible.

Ancient
01-17-2015, 01:22 PM
The A10 is one of my favorite planes... It is so much that an air-force plane shouldn't be. Loud, slow, built purely for ground support. But the thing is like a flying tank... it just sits up there and has the same answer for almost any problem... BRRAAAT.

This build is like that. It is built like a tank when wizards aren't supposed to be tanks. It makes no effort to worry about DCs because it is happy as a shiradi. It is a palemaster when everyone seems to think robots are more robust. I named this build the Warthog because it is easily the toughest variant of the NovaSoul I have ever played. A plate mail wearing arcane supremacy palemaster with FVS splash to support shiradi magic missile spam.

Those who are familiar with the wizard enhancement point costs will quickly notice the reason this hasn't been done before (or at least not often). The required AP cost of:

32 - in AM for arcane supremacy
21 - in PM for wraith form
11 - in Aov for MM spam goodness
13 - In Stalwart for tanky goodness
----
77 -> 3 points to worry about ASF.

For the longest time, that was the end of my thoughts regarding the build... couldn't be done. Until I needed some PDK lives. I played an overpowered paladin, then I played a completely broken wolf... but I still missed being a shiradi pale-master. So the third life was going to be a PDK NovaSoul.

Turns out... if you sacrifice the armor slot, it isn't hard at all. Even in Heroic levels.

Greater Twilight Scalemail (Medium armor) has zero ASF.
A Mithril heavy shield has 5% ASF and can be used with either a level 12 spell agility augment, or a crafted lesser arcane casting dexterity item.
Greater Twilight Hlaf-Plate has 10% ASF and can be used with a level 16 spell agility augment.
SkyVault is a tower shield that has 0% ASF.

Yes, I give up the armor slot. That is the price for having 600 hp at level 16 with saves in the 40s. At level 20 I have 156 PRR, 109 MRR, 789 HP wearing pretty much the same gear I have worn on past NovaSoul lives. I'm not missing the armor slot.

To level up, I ran nothing but elites and I did my best to jump into the middle of every crowd I could find. I stood by a demolition charge in house C blown to bits... survived the explosion. -2 hp -> aura tick, but I survived. I went and tried to solo heroic elite breaking the ranks at level 16 or 17. Forgot to bring potions and ran out of mana... ten minutes of surviving on just torc mana... At 32 minutes into the quest, I got stuck crowd surfing atop a pack of giants (still working on only torc/con-op mana). they sill couldn't kill me. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHMtly82qyM). I rushed ahead in running with the devils, that is supposed to be suicide on a palemaster... nada. I did die once... in servants of the overlord when I ran ahead and jumped into the middle of the first big drow room and looked at them like... what are you going to do? Answer, a bunch of disintegrates and I rolled at least one 1.

Here is a heroic elite through the mirror. It isn't a speed run, but the point is that it didn't involve a bunch of kiting or fancy maneuvers. Face tanked almost everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5SffJeuX-E

The Warthog
15/3/2 Wizard/Fighter/Favored Soul
True Neutral Purple Dragon Knight

Level Order

1. Fighter. . . . .6. Wizard. . . . .11. Wizard . . . . 16. Wizard
2. Wizard . . . . .7. Wizard. . . . .12. Favored Soul . 17. Wizard
3. Wizard . . . . .8. Wizard. . . . .13. Favored Soul . 18. Wizard
4. Wizard . . . . .9. Wizard. . . . .14. Fighter. . . . 19. Wizard
5. Wizard . . . . 10. Wizard. . . . .15. Fighter. . . . 20. Wizard

Stats
. . . . . . . .32pt . . 34pt. . .36pt. . .Tome . . Level Up
. . . . . . . .---- . . ----. . .----. . .---- . . --------
Strength. . . . .8. . . . 8 . . . .8 . . . +5. . . .4: INT
Dexterity . . . .8. . . . 8 . . . .8 . . . +5. . . .8: INT
Constitution. . 18. . . .18 . . . 18 . . . +5. . . 12: INT
Intelligence. . 18. . . .18 . . . 18 . . . +6. . . 16: INT
Wisdom. . . . . .8. . . . 8 . . . .8 . . . +5. . . 20: INT
Charisma. . . . .8. . . .10 . . . 12 . . . +5. . . 24: INT
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .28: INT

Feats

.1. . . . : Insightful Reflexes
.1 Purple : Toughness
.1 Fighter: Shield Mastery
.2 Wizard : Maximize Spell
.3. . . . : Empower Spell
.6. . . . : Extend Spell
.6 Wizard : Quicken Spell
.9. . . . : Enlarge Spell
11 Wizard : Mental Toughness
12. . . . : Toughness
12 Deity. : Follower of: Amaunator
14 Fighter: Improved Shield Mastery
15. . . . : Toughness
18. . . . : Toughness
20 Wizard : Improved Mental Toughness
21 Epic . : Epic Toughness
24 Epic . : Epic Mental Toughness
26 Destiny: Epic Skill Focus: Spellcraft
27 Epic . : Ruin
28 Destiny: Hellball

Enhancements

Archmage (33 AP)
Magic Missile, Gust of Wind, Chain Missile, Fire Shield
Energy of the Scholar III, Spell Critical, Wand and Scroll Mastery III
Efficient Quicken III, Spell Critical
Spell Critical, Intelligence
Arcane Supremacy

Pale Master (23 AP)
Dark Reaping, Zombie Form, Vampire Form, Wraith Form
Deathless Vigor I, Spell Critical, Skeletal Knight III, Negative Energy Conduit III
Spell Critical

Angel of Vengeance (11 AP)
Font of Power
Scourge III, Smiting
Just Reward III, Smiting

Stalwart Defender (13 AP)
Toughness, Stalwart Defense
Item Defense I, Resilient Defense III
Durable Defense III, Instinctive Defense I
Tenacious Defense III

Destiny

Shirardi Champion
Stay Frosty II, Wild Shots III
Prism, Fey Form III
Rainbow
Double Rainbow, In the Weeds II, Elemental Absorption III
Nerve Venom III
Audience with the Queen

Twists of Fate (22 fate points)
Energy Burst: Fire (Tier 4 Draconic)
Empyrean Magic (Tier 3 Crusader)
Boulder Toss (Tier 1 Fury)

shirochan57
01-19-2015, 04:17 AM
great and interesting advancement of your previous post.
Can this be done with shadowmail and large shield like storm bulwark instead of heavy armor + tower? Or would that lose too much PMRR to be worth it?

also, while in exalted angel DE, You're twisting cocoon to heal other party members? Cause ive been wondering if cocoon works like golem's heart, in that it can heal even palemasters. Im still heroic so cant verify it

Feralthyrtiaq
01-19-2015, 07:59 AM
Can this be done with shadowmail and large shield like storm bulwark instead of heavy armor + tower? Or would that lose too much PMRR to be worth it?

also, while in exalted angel DE, You're twisting cocoon to heal other party members? Cause ive been wondering if cocoon works like golem's heart, in that it can heal even palemasters. Im still heroic so cant verify it

Cocoon won't heal a PM but the 150 Temp Hp can help them out of a pinch to self-heal.

Ancient
01-19-2015, 08:20 AM

I think the prr/mrr would make even crafted armor come out ahead, but I have not tried it. If you try it and get so numbers or have feedback, I would be happy to include them.

I only switch to cocoon for raid healing where that would be my primary task during the raid. Even with offensive twists, EA still has divine wrath and mass cure to go along with scrolls.

And as the previous poster pointed out, the 150 temp hp is more than a max/empower inflict is going to heal for less mana, greater range and no issue with having to face the right direction.

shirochan57
01-19-2015, 08:40 AM
I think the prr/mrr would make even crafted armor come out ahead, but I have not tried it. If you try it and get so numbers or have feedback, I would be happy to include them.

I only switch to cocoon for raid healing where that would be my primary task during the raid. Even with offensive twists, EA still has divine wrath and mass cure to go along with scrolls.

And as the previous poster pointed out, the 150 temp hp is more than a max/empower inflict is going to heal for less mana, greater range and no issue with having to face the right direction.

I see, yeah 150HP is always welcome. So which ED do You find most survivable or enjoyable now? EA, Draconic or shiradi?

I still feel very good about your previous build with dodge/evasion, but Im starting to see the benefits of PMRR. maybe I will try to combine your builds NovaShiradi and NovaSoul, by wearing medium shadowmail that has greater twilight for melee intensive quests, and switching back to monk stances for trap and spell heavy quests.

cru121
01-19-2015, 08:48 AM
couple ASF tips:
* Lootgen Half plates have only 30 ASF, rather than 35. They offer same PRR. (less ac more max dex)
** mithral heavy shield gives 10 prr/mrr and has 5% ASF. this one also doubles mrr vs evadable spells.

conclusions:
* at lvl 20, greater twilight half plate + blue slot -15% can nullify your asf for both plate and heavy mithral shield without AP expenditure

Ancient
01-19-2015, 10:39 AM
I see, yeah 150HP is always welcome. So which ED do You find most survivable or enjoyable now? EA, Draconic or shiradi?
When I started working on a divine ETR, I expected that it would be a suck it up and get it done... but I really enjoyed the way the build played in EA. For epic normal/hard, the extra AE attacks are really nice and for content that hits harder than I can stand the wings are nice. For anything in the middle, the extra DPS and CC from shiradi is very nice. It is actually quite fun in both (for me), and it is nice having a choice.

I still feel very good about your previous build with dodge/evasion, but Im starting to see the benefits of PMRR. maybe I will try to combine your builds NovaShiradi and NovaSoul, by wearing medium shadowmail that has greater twilight for melee intensive quests, and switching back to monk stances for trap and spell heavy quests.
Part of why I didn't do a revamp based on the U23 changes until late in U24 was that the previous build was performing just fine. I do think the new version is more robust and has more flexility due to the lvl 9 spells... but there are some occasions where I do miss the huge boost to saves that the grandmaster monk stance provides. Let me know how your experiment goes, I'm always happy to include more information in the posts.

Saekee
01-19-2015, 11:42 AM
couple ASF tips:

conclusions:

Hi cru121, is there any lootgen mithral plate?
@Ancient--I assume the mithral quality also stacks for reducing ASF; also, there are named mithral plate armors that get the added benefit of only requiring medium armor proficiency like the Templar's Bastion:http://m.ddowiki.com/page/Item:Epic_Templar%27s_Bastion

cru121
01-19-2015, 12:04 PM
Hi cru121, is there any lootgen mithral plate?
@Ancient--I assume the mithral quality also stacks for reducing ASF; also, there are named mithral plate armors that get the added benefit of only requiring medium armor proficiency like the Templar's Bastion:http://m.ddowiki.com/page/Item:Epic_Templar%27s_Bastion

lootgen mithral plate (even if it still dropped) and named mithral plates are considered medium armor and grant less PRR/MRR. So yes, you need less ASF reduction. But you get less defensive benefits.

Ancient
01-19-2015, 12:42 PM

More stuff that I know... but didn't think to put in the PRR/MRR section. It does have less ASF, but it loses a lot of the PRR/MRR benefit to get the lower ASF.

Thanks!

shirochan57
01-20-2015, 06:50 PM
IIRC, You're wearing both torc and ConOpp GS item, correct? Do You have any thoughts on which one procs more often or gives You more SP in general? In your vids I can see that Your mana management is excellent but I think its mostly due to just reward, am I mistaken? Do You have halcyon boots too?

peng
01-20-2015, 09:07 PM
IIRC, You're wearing both torc and ConOpp GS item, correct? Do You have any thoughts on which one procs more often or gives You more SP in general? In your vids I can see that Your mana management is excellent but I think its mostly due to just reward, am I mistaken? Do You have halcyon boots too?

According to the wiki, torc (http://ddowiki.com/page/Transform_Kinetic_Energy) gives 3.3 average sp per hit, conop (http://ddowiki.com/page/Concordant_Opposition) gives about 1 sp, and halcyon boots (http://ddowiki.com/page/Halcyon_Boots) give an average 0.75 temp sp per hit.

just reward (http://ddowiki.com/page/Angel_of_Vengeance_enhancements#Tier_Two) gives 10 temp sp on a fire/force/light spell crit. With 18% fire/force and 12% light crit chance before destinies, epic past lives, or gear, this should proc quite a lot, particularly with multi-hit spells like meteor swarm, scorching ray, and magic/chain missile.

Ancient
01-20-2015, 09:43 PM
Since I'm still on the ETR treadmill, I only wear lvl 20 gear except for an occasional weapon swap. Thus, I wear house C challenge boots.

Just rewards and the mana proc items serve similar purposes, but function very differently.

Just rewards procs temp SP that goes away in a fairly short window. It allows a shiradi to spam low cost spells with very little loss of mana. Contrary to popular belief, it is not truly infinate... it is very long lasting though.

Torc/conop proc permanent mana. As a mana strategy, these items have largely been abandoned by the majority of players because in the world of EE, it seems like a poor deal to trade a 200-300 point hit for 3-4 spell points. The reason it works for this build, is that palemaster offers exceptionally cheap healing (death aura) and the layered defenses lower the hit from 200-300 down to a more manageable number.

With a larger mana pool and a good supply of potions, I'm sure those slots could be better allocated. My playstyle however is to focus more on doing things without the use of consumables. Thus, they are a good match for me.

shirochan57
01-20-2015, 10:05 PM
Im trying not to use consumables either, so torc / conopp / halcyon / energy siphon seem like the only way to get some of that mana back. However, for these items your current build is much more suitable. Its tough to count on SP proc on being hit when You have an evasion/dodge/displacement build.

shirochan57
01-20-2015, 10:12 PM
According to the wiki, torc (http://ddowiki.com/page/Transform_Kinetic_Energy) gives 3.3 average sp per hit, conop (http://ddowiki.com/page/Concordant_Opposition) gives about 1 sp, and halcyon boots (http://ddowiki.com/page/Halcyon_Boots) give an average 0.75 temp sp per hit.

just reward (http://ddowiki.com/page/Angel_of_Vengeance_enhancements#Tier_Two) gives 10 temp sp on a fire/force/light spell crit. With 18% fire/force and 12% light crit chance before destinies, epic past lives, or gear, this should proc quite a lot, particularly with multi-hit spells like meteor swarm, scorching ray, and magic/chain missile.

Thanks for the summary.

yeah 18% spell crit base and a good lore item can easily get you over 30%. and with MM CM barrage, its a really sweet deal.

I wonder if lantern ring ability can proc just reward on crit. need to get that ring

Ancient
01-20-2015, 10:33 PM
Im trying not to use consumables either, so torc / conopp / halcyon / energy siphon seem like the only way to get some of that mana back. However, for these items your current build is much more suitable. Its tough to count on SP proc on being hit when You have an evasion/dodge/displacement build.

I used the same gear setup in the previous version of the build that focused on dodge more than PRR. Both versions used wraith form + displacement. Most of the time, mana isn't an issue with or without those items... but when the build is stressed, they do make a big difference.

Blackheartox
01-20-2015, 11:34 PM
I dont agree that reborn in light is a bad epic moment.
It has its uses and is a wonderful epic ability used properly.

It has synergy with shuri/wolf/staff builds, and wonderful synergy with its surival/spellpower for light spp builds.

To call it bad based on a shiradi build that doesnt have much use of it is not correct intepretation of that ability.
If you can fix it and change with, its bad for this specific build.

Overall just a regular 1, 2, 3, 4 shiradi braindamage build.
Nothing special

Ancient
01-21-2015, 12:10 AM
I called it bad based on my experience as a FVS light based caster build a long time ago. Back then, it had a 30 minute cooldown. Even now, it has a 10 minute cooldown. That is just to dang long. The benefits it offers are only there a small portion of the time. For an epic moment, they would need to be amazingly awesome to make up for the 10 minute cool down.

I understand that they need the 10 minute cooldown because of the rez, but that one feature that goes unused most of the time weakens the whole thing to the point that there are just better options. For every build you mentioned there are better options.

As far as a 1234 build, yeah, I prefer simple builds. But in this case the 1234 differ than most shiradi builds. The primary focus is on chain missile and epic destiny attacks. Magic missile is mostly a filler in this build, where in other builds it is actually the focus of the build.

Playinig a paladin right now to get a martial ETR out of the way and guess what... its a 1234 build. It isn't the 1, the 2, the 3 or the 4. It is what you can get done with them.

AtomicMew
01-26-2015, 02:20 PM
Nice writeup. If I were doing the 17/2/1 split, I'd consider a barbarian splash for fast movement. You're not really short on feats, so it's not a huge deal that you need to add heavy armor.

In general I'm unconvinced that level 9 spells are worth what you give up. Meteor swarm seems to create lag and FPS drops more and more nowadays, and the last time I tried it, it was not enjoyable because of those issues. With a deep splash, you have some interesting options with paladin or sorcerer that are worth considering.

Chewysc
02-11-2015, 03:39 PM
It's been a long while since I leveled an arcane so bear with me and my noob questions...

My plan is to TR a first life toon into this build and going Sun Elf, 17 wiz, 2 fvs and 1 clr to get a wizard PL and farm out some arcane destinies.

In getting gear together, I was looking over your Nova Shiradi gear layout and realized I'm not too familiar on how best to prep for this build.

So specifically from levels 15 to 19...

1) How do you set up/play this build? Is it CC and Wall of Fire?
2) Gear-wise, I know I can make lvl 15 tier 2 Cloak of Flames and Rock Boot (I assume I don't need a Blasting Chime until 20) and have a magecraft half plate with blue slot saved.
a) Should I go craftable mithral large shield and one hander? (what specs? Force? Cold?), or
b) Thaumaturgy q-staffs? (what specs?)

Any input or insight is much appreciated, thanks!

Ancient
03-09-2015, 06:05 PM
I named this build the Warthog because it is easily the toughest variant of the NovaSoul I have ever played. A plate mail wearing arcane supremacy palemaster with FVS splash to support shiradi magic missile spam.

I added a 15 wiz/3 fighter/2 FVS variant I call the Warthog. (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5518704#post5518704)

Ancient
03-09-2015, 06:22 PM
Nice writeup. If I were doing the 17/2/1 split, I'd consider a barbarian splash for fast movement. You're not really short on feats, so it's not a huge deal that you need to add heavy armor.

In general I'm unconvinced that level 9 spells are worth what you give up. Meteor swarm seems to create lag and FPS drops more and more nowadays, and the last time I tried it, it was not enjoyable because of those issues. With a deep splash, you have some interesting options with paladin or sorcerer that are worth considering.

Interesting you should say that.... For my latest PDK life, I gave up the lvl 9 spells again for 3 levels of fighter. Of course, that was more feats that I didn't need... but hey, a PDK life is a PDK life. I ended up taking toughness FOUR times and I'm having a lot of fun with the build. Just added a writeup.

It's been a long while since I leveled an arcane so bear with me and my noob questions...

My plan is to TR a first life toon into this build and going Sun Elf, 17 wiz, 2 fvs and 1 clr to get a wizard PL and farm out some arcane destinies.

In getting gear together, I was looking over your Nova Shiradi gear layout and realized I'm not too familiar on how best to prep for this build.

So specifically from levels 15 to 19...

1) How do you set up/play this build? Is it CC and Wall of Fire?
2) Gear-wise, I know I can make lvl 15 tier 2 Cloak of Flames and Rock Boot (I assume I don't need a Blasting Chime until 20) and have a magecraft half plate with blue slot saved.
a) Should I go craftable mithral large shield and one hander? (what specs? Force? Cold?), or
b) Thaumaturgy q-staffs? (what specs?)

Any input or insight is much appreciated, thanks!

Sorry for the late response, just saw this. Most of my kills rely on the force dmg spells. Chain missile spell/sla, magic missile spell/sla and ice storm. I do need to be honest and point out that I have triple past lives of colors of the queen. So even in heroic levels, I get a little bit of shiradi style damage. I spec Force primary and negative (for the healing) / fire (backup damage type) as my secondaries. I added a video of heroic elite through the mirror if you want to see how it plays in heroic levels.

As an iconic, I got to start at level 15. Here was how I geared up.

Head: Crafted Int +6 with topaz of 20 electric resist.
Trinket: Crafted Deathward trinket of good luck +2
Cloak: Crafted Feather falling cloak of resistance +4 with sapphire of defense +8 (should be +5 resist, but I hate that pack)
Ring: Crafted Greater False Life with topaz of 20 acid resist
Ring: Crafted Nullification Ring with Topaz of 20 sonic resist and diamond of the masters gift
Boots: Crafted Health +6 boots with Topaz of 20 fire resist and colorless vitality 20 aug
Wrist: Guardians Bracers (+4 insight bonus to saves)
Gloves: Crafted +6 str with Topaz of 20 fire resist
Shield: Heroic Hard Skyvault with Ruby of combustion 78. Used mithril shield till 16.
Armor: Crafted Greater Twilight Halfplate. Used Greater Twilight scalemail till I found the ASF augment. Added fortification to the armor at epic levels.
[b]Weapon: +5 impulse sceptre of kinetic lore.
Neck: Torc
Eyes: GreenSteel Con-op goggles
Belt: GreenSteel Elemental Mastery (mainly for the +3 to saves, but the guards work great with this build)

You can simplify this a lot by simply either using old guild elemental resists or casting the spell yourself. That reduces a lot of the gear to simple +6 stat gear. The torc/green steel is nice, but the build is tough enough to do well even without them.

bills2groggy
03-16-2015, 12:03 AM
Having fun trying this build, the 2nd of your posted builds I've run. Looks like some of your videos (earlier in this thread), are not the new Novasoul build, but appear to be the Grandmaster Scourge build (16/2/2 Wiz/Monk/Fvs). Otherwise, a big thumbs up, appreciate your write-ups!

Chewysc
03-16-2015, 01:20 PM
Sorry for the late response, just saw this. Most of my kills rely on the force dmg spells. Chain missile spell/sla, magic missile spell/sla and ice storm. I do need to be honest and point out that I have triple past lives of colors of the queen. So even in heroic levels, I get a little bit of shiradi style damage. I spec Force primary and negative (for the healing) / fire (backup damage type) as my secondaries. I added a video of heroic elite through the mirror if you want to see how it plays in heroic levels.

As an iconic, I got to start at level 15. Here was how I geared up.

Thank you very much for the above info!

I haven't TR'd into NovaSoul yet as I just capped again and want to get my 20th MoD run in so no worries on the late response.

Looking forward to running your build ;-)

Ancient
03-18-2015, 01:47 PM
Having fun trying this build, the 2nd of your posted builds I've run. Looks like some of your videos (earlier in this thread), are not the new Novasoul build, but appear to be the Grandmaster Scourge build (16/2/2 Wiz/Monk/Fvs). Otherwise, a big thumbs up, appreciate your write-ups!

Which ones? I still have the grandmaster videos up on youtube, but the ones I link to in the posts all seem to be the 17/2/1 builds (other than the very latest one which was the 15/3/2).

bills2groggy
03-27-2015, 07:16 PM
Which ones? I still have the grandmaster videos up on youtube, but the ones I link to in the posts all seem to be the 17/2/1 builds (other than the very latest one which was the 15/3/2).

In posts #3 & #5 (spinner & don't drink water)... each, about 12 seconds into their videos, shows the character sheet... its 16 wiz 2 fvs 2 monk.

Ancient
03-30-2015, 02:30 PM
In posts #3 & #5 (spinner & don't drink water)... each, about 12 seconds into their videos, shows the character sheet... its 16 wiz 2 fvs 2 monk.

Thanks! I'll try to re-run/replace them when I get a chance. It is a very similar build though, I'm pretty sure I had the ada body feats when I ran those.

Sirianstar
04-20-2015, 06:32 AM
HI, do u think this build would work for heroic levels?

i plan to run a wiz life, and TR at 20 as i don't have EDs, and wanted to spice it up.
do u think it could be possible to just use it to lvl 20 or it will miss some
key things or would just be better doing something else?

Ancient
04-20-2015, 10:12 AM
HI, do u think this build would work for heroic levels?

i plan to run a wiz life, and TR at 20 as i don't have EDs, and wanted to spice it up.
do u think it could be possible to just use it to lvl 20 or it will miss some
key things or would just be better doing something else?

If you have colors of the queen, it works well. If you don't then the offense is a little light. You can survive and you will get through the quests, but won't kill as quickly as many other builds.

Sirianstar
04-20-2015, 06:21 PM
If you have colors of the queen, it works well. If you don't then the offense is a little light. You can survive and you will get through the quests, but won't kill as quickly as many other builds.

How could I without EDs :D

i like a lot the idea of an armored-melee wiz

consider i'd like to do it till lvl 20, then TR

what would u change to adapt it to an heroic only content toon?

Sirianstar
04-21-2015, 07:26 AM
just to be clear, forgive please my noobness and lack of mastery of the enh. tree and doing combos :)
i still find it difficult to make my own builds as i lack the comprehension of how useful are some values.

Ancient
04-21-2015, 09:47 AM
How could I without EDs :D

i like a lot the idea of an armored-melee wiz

consider i'd like to do it till lvl 20, then TR

what would u change to adapt it to an heroic only content toon?
The build itself... I'd keep the same.

How I play the build and what spells I use... is what I would change.

For heroic only toon, I would focus a little (not exclusively) more on the instakill spells (especially Finger of death). Delayed blast fireball is also a nice heroic spell... I even use it off destiny in epic elites (but only when I'm feeling arcanely supreme). I would also put off force missile and grab ice storm or firewall first (You don't get the final fourth level spell slot till later and Ddoor/death aura/neg energy burst are must haves.

IF you really want an armored-melee, then it might be worth tweaking the build to get enough points in harper to have int to attack/dmg. There are a couple key questions that drive some of this:

1st - What is your crafting skills on that account?
2nd - What tomes are on the character?
3rd - Do you have a torc or con-op gear?

Ancient
04-21-2015, 09:58 AM
Just a minor update as to what I'm currently doing with the build. I just finished my last (for a very long time) martial past life and got epic completionist! Now I'm running through some sun elf past lives and then I may actually go for heroic completionist. Having taken the step of using a greater twilight half plate rather than enhancements to deal with ASF has opened up some very interesting possibilities.

Last life, I spent the extra AP to get an additional +20 PRR (Wall of Steel and Improved Shield). It did provide a noticeable improvement in EE survival.

On my current life, I took efficient meta-magic maximize in both FVS and Wizard and then switched out my trinket for one with the following stats:

Weaken Construct, Sonic Lore V, Resonance +90, Cacophonic Guard, Evocation Focus II, Anthem, Efficient Metamagic - Maximize II

Yes, the level 15 blasting chime along with cannith crafting Efficient Metamagic - Maximize II.

The end result is that I am able to leave maximize on for my magic missile spam and still be mana efficient. It does get winded faster than no-meta missile spam, but does noticeably more damage. Still trying to decide what I like, especially considering that it is probably not WAI... however, it has been this way since the enhancement system was in beta. It was a known issue then, and I've waited till now to actually toy with it. Most likely it is a one life try-it-out, and I'll do something different next life.

Sirianstar
04-27-2015, 08:01 AM
The build itself... I'd keep the same.

How I play the build and what spells I use... is what I would change.

For heroic only toon, I would focus a little (not exclusively) more on the instakill spells (especially Finger of death). Delayed blast fireball is also a nice heroic spell... I even use it off destiny in epic elites (but only when I'm feeling arcanely supreme). I would also put off force missile and grab ice storm or firewall first (You don't get the final fourth level spell slot till later and Ddoor/death aura/neg energy burst are must haves.

IF you really want an armored-melee, then it might be worth tweaking the build to get enough points in harper to have int to attack/dmg. There are a couple key questions that drive some of this:

1st - What is your crafting skills on that account?
2nd - What tomes are on the character?
3rd - Do you have a torc or con-op gear?

1)around 30-35 on each
2)+5 int,+4 cha, +2 str, +2 con, +2 wis, +1 dex
3)nope to both, got access to normal items, not any GS yet. some blue but nothing gamechanging.

Sirianstar
05-03-2015, 06:30 PM
1)around 30-35 on each
2)+5 int,+4 cha, +2 str, +2 con, +2 wis, +1 dex
3)nope to both, got access to normal items, not any GS yet. some blue but nothing gamechanging.

i'm actually putting my hands on a con op item, i thought about slotting it in gloves?

Sirianstar
05-04-2015, 09:14 AM
I just noticed i made a communication error, i was just meaning armored wizard, no melee of any sort, casting just spells!

LongshotBro
05-07-2015, 01:56 PM
i was searching for a way to fix up the pale trapper life i was on (second time, didn't find it as much fun this time around).

NovaSoul is fitting the bill wonderfully thanks to a +3 heart. I tend to TR this particular character but usually hang out in epic for a while first. Definitely think i'll be staying there some time with this build. Still in heroics right now, but it is quite a bit of fun for sure.

i especially appreciate this thorough writeup because i have a tough time managing multiclass characters with all the trees and whatnot, so the detailed info here and the related thread is vitally important to me.

Even without all the gear, or Colors of the Queen, this build is still pretty fun. for that third class splash i went with the suggestion for fighter for the h. armor and tower shield prof. plus the extra feat, and it's working out well so far.

i'd like to know: what's your standard spell loadout look like, per spell level (at 20). If i'm honest, i'm far from the best caster player, but i'd like to improve and that seems like an area of critical importance.

WWen077
05-25-2015, 02:55 AM
Hey I cannot figure out how to do the sums to get prr up to 156 even when taking into account heavy armor, tower shield and fighter enhancement tree and sheltering eqiupment, please can you post a breakdown of your sources of prr please? Thank you.

The A10 is one of my favorite planes... It is so much that an air-force plane shouldn't be. Loud, slow, built purely for ground support. But the thing is like a flying tank... it just sits up there and has the same answer for almost any problem... BRRAAAT.

This build is like that. It is built like a tank when wizards aren't supposed to be tanks. It makes no effort to worry about DCs because it is happy as a shiradi. It is a palemaster when everyone seems to think robots are more robust. I named this build the Warthog because it is easily the toughest variant of the NovaSoul I have ever played. A plate mail wearing arcane supremacy palemaster with FVS splash to support shiradi magic missile spam.

Those who are familiar with the wizard enhancement point costs will quickly notice the reason this hasn't been done before (or at least not often). The required AP cost of:

32 - in AM for arcane supremacy
21 - in PM for wraith form
11 - in Aov for MM spam goodness
13 - In Stalwart for tanky goodness
----
77 -> 3 points to worry about ASF.

For the longest time, that was the end of my thoughts regarding the build... couldn't be done. Until I needed some PDK lives. I played an overpowered paladin, then I played a completely broken wolf... but I still missed being a shiradi pale-master. So the third life was going to be a PDK NovaSoul.

Turns out... if you sacrifice the armor slot, it isn't hard at all. Even in Heroic levels.

Greater Twilight Scalemail (Medium armor) has zero ASF.
A Mithril heavy shield has 5% ASF and can be used with either a level 12 spell agility augment, or a crafted lesser arcane casting dexterity item.
Greater Twilight Hlaf-Plate has 10% ASF and can be used with a level 16 spell agility augment.
SkyVault is a tower shield that has 0% ASF.

Yes, I give up the armor slot. That is the price for having 600 hp at level 16 with saves in the 40s. At level 20 I have 156 PRR, 109 MRR, 789 HP wearing pretty much the same gear I have worn on past NovaSoul lives. I'm not missing the armor slot.

To level up, I ran nothing but elites and I did my best to jump into the middle of every crowd I could find. I stood by a demolition charge in house C blown to bits... survived the explosion. -2 hp -> aura tick, but I survived. I went and tried to solo heroic elite breaking the ranks at level 16 or 17. Forgot to bring potions and ran out of mana... ten minutes of surviving on just torc mana... At 32 minutes into the quest, I got stuck crowd surfing atop a pack of giants (still working on only torc/con-op mana). they sill couldn't kill me. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHMtly82qyM). I rushed ahead in running with the devils, that is supposed to be suicide on a palemaster... nada. I did die once... in servants of the overlord when I ran ahead and jumped into the middle of the first big drow room and looked at them like... what are you going to do? Answer, a bunch of disintegrates and I rolled at least one 1.

Here is a heroic elite through the mirror. It isn't a speed run, but the point is that it didn't involve a bunch of kiting or fancy maneuvers. Face tanked almost everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5SffJeuX-E

The Warthog
15/3/2 Wizard/Fighter/Favored Soul
True Neutral Purple Dragon Knight

Level Order

1. Fighter. . . . .6. Wizard. . . . .11. Wizard . . . . 16. Wizard
2. Wizard . . . . .7. Wizard. . . . .12. Favored Soul . 17. Wizard
3. Wizard . . . . .8. Wizard. . . . .13. Favored Soul . 18. Wizard
4. Wizard . . . . .9. Wizard. . . . .14. Fighter. . . . 19. Wizard
5. Wizard . . . . 10. Wizard. . . . .15. Fighter. . . . 20. Wizard

Stats
. . . . . . . .32pt . . 34pt. . .36pt. . .Tome . . Level Up
. . . . . . . .---- . . ----. . .----. . .---- . . --------
Strength. . . . .8. . . . 8 . . . .8 . . . +5. . . .4: INT
Dexterity . . . .8. . . . 8 . . . .8 . . . +5. . . .8: INT
Constitution. . 18. . . .18 . . . 18 . . . +5. . . 12: INT
Intelligence. . 18. . . .18 . . . 18 . . . +6. . . 16: INT
Wisdom. . . . . .8. . . . 8 . . . .8 . . . +5. . . 20: INT
Charisma. . . . .8. . . .10 . . . 12 . . . +5. . . 24: INT
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .28: INT

Feats

.1. . . . : Insightful Reflexes
.1 Purple : Toughness
.1 Fighter: Shield Mastery
.2 Wizard : Maximize Spell
.3. . . . : Empower Spell
.6. . . . : Extend Spell
.6 Wizard : Quicken Spell
.9. . . . : Enlarge Spell
11 Wizard : Mental Toughness
12. . . . : Toughness
12 Deity. : Follower of: Amaunator
14 Fighter: Improved Shield Mastery
15. . . . : Toughness
18. . . . : Toughness
20 Wizard : Improved Mental Toughness
21 Epic . : Epic Toughness
24 Epic . : Epic Mental Toughness
26 Destiny: Epic Skill Focus: Spellcraft
27 Epic . : Ruin
28 Destiny: Hellball

Enhancements

Archmage (33 AP)
Magic Missile, Gust of Wind, Chain Missile, Fire Shield
Energy of the Scholar III, Spell Critical, Wand and Scroll Mastery III
Efficient Quicken III, Spell Critical
Arcane Supremacy

Pale Master (23 AP)
Dark Reaping, Zombie Form, Vampire Form, Wraith Form
Deathless Vigor I, Spell Critical, Skeletal Knight III, Negative Energy Conduit III
Spell Critical

Angel of Vengeance (11 AP)
Font of Power
Scourge III, Smiting
Just Reward III, Smiting

Stalwart Defender (13 AP)
Toughness, Stalwart Defense
Item Defense I, Resilient Defense III
Durable Defense III, Instinctive Defense I
Tenacious Defense III

Destiny

Shirardi Champion
Stay Frosty II, Wild Shots III
Prism, Fey Form III
Rainbow
Double Rainbow, In the Weeds II, Elemental Absorption III
Nerve Venom III
Audience with the Queen

Twists of Fate (22 fate points)
Energy Burst: Fire (Tier 4 Draconic)
Empyrean Magic (Tier 3 Crusader)
Boulder Toss (Tier 1 Fury)

deredriel
05-28-2015, 09:41 AM
Hello,
Playing PM dc caster and having pbs in EE with boss and epic wards trash, i have read your post and think about it as an alternative.
Few questions about the build as i 'm a noob with fighter and FS build. What is the utility of the toughness feat and mental toughness?
It's just matter of HP and critical spell? or are they necessary for enhancements, feats, epic feats or epic destiny for fighter and FS class ?
ty for answers
valdo

Mystickal
06-01-2015, 08:18 AM
Hey I cannot figure out how to do the sums to get prr up to 156 even when taking into account heavy armor, tower shield and fighter enhancement tree and sheltering eqiupment, please can you post a breakdown of your sources of prr please? Thank you.

I can't speak specifically for Ancient, but I'd imagine it looks something like this (Calculations taken from DDOWiki) :

30 Heavy Armor
21 Heavy Armor Proficiency (with BAB of 15 at level 28)
15 Tower Shield
15 Improved Shield Master Feat
10 Stalwart Defender Stance
15 Durable Defense Enhancement Tier 3
14 Sheltering (Level 24 Sapphire of Physical Resistance +14/Blue Augment Slot)
27 Epic Past Life Feats (Divine Sphere)
9 PDK Iconic Past Life Feats
156 Total PRR

You could hit 166 by swapping the Blue Augment with a level 19 Guardian's Ring (Sheltering +24) without too much difficulty; alternatively, running without any applicable past life feats will lower the PRR to 120 (130 with the Guardian's Ring).

~Bill

GaxTheImmortal
12-11-2017, 09:40 PM
What differences would need to be made to this build to make it work in the game today? What pieces of gear should I farm out before I TR into it? And is it viable in heroic r1?

Thanks.

slarden
12-12-2017, 03:40 PM
What differences would need to be made to this build to make it work in the game today? What pieces of gear should I farm out before I TR into it? And is it viable in heroic r1?

Thanks.

I don't want to answer for the OP, but in general what changed in the game since the OP impacting the build:

- heavy armor generally provides less benefit to casters due to BAB component to calculation and heavy armor was nerfed in general (no mrr, etc.)
- dodge and max dodge potential are both better
- evasion generally more useful compared to 2015 with the higher MRR potential heavy armor used to provide.
- repair and negative healing is sub-optimal for high skull reaper unless the party is prepared for it (harm scrolls from remnant vendor, harm spell on cleric, multiple pms in party, etc.)
- negative healing is better for a shiradi spammer due to festering mummy wrappings, legendary festering mummy wrappings, lgs negative 150- stacking with regular spellpower items, and the higher crit chance and damage available on the aura/belt including synergy from master of knowledge.

So a pm shiradi spammer is great in low skull reaper including being possibly the best builds for soloing low skull slavers part III reaper due to automatic healing, immunities, high fort.

I ran 15 wizard/3 fvs/ 2 monk high dc shiradi spammer and it worked quite well, but that character (randslar) is working on racial trs at the moment. I used a robe and went high dodge in shroud of the wraith for 25% incorporeal on top of the dodge and a decent prr. The other option is dumping dc and going con based full out spammer, but dc spells are so good in today's game. If going robe instead of harmor there is an awesome new robe that gives 10% exceptional crit chance improving the already awesome crit negative healing you get.

GaxTheImmortal
12-12-2017, 04:16 PM
Was it still capable of face-tanking? How did it do in heroics? What leveling order did you use? Would there be enough synergy between this and Torc/ Con Opp usage to keep the build going a long time/ not worry too much about SP conservation? And what pieces of gear would you recommend farming out for a 15 wiz/ 2 monk/3 fvs soul or 18 wiz/2 monk?

slarden
12-13-2017, 05:36 AM
Was it still capable of face-tanking? How did it do in heroics? What leveling order did you use? Would there be enough synergy between this and Torc/ Con Opp usage to keep the build going a long time/ not worry too much about SP conservation? And what pieces of gear would you recommend farming out for a 15 wiz/ 2 monk/3 fvs soul or 18 wiz/2 monk?

I am sure it does fine in heroic on older content, but with the reaper healing penalty the problem with PM is few quick emergency heals - you have aura, belt and negative aura. I don't think it's capable of face-tanking across all content on reaper - very few builds are. With torc/con opp and getting your fair share of lost souls you should have no problem with spell points. They key there is using low cost force spells along with just reward from fvs which will return a lot of spell points to you aside from torc/con opp.

I use scroll healing + full on archmage evocation during leveling and only switch to PM at epic levels - it is just a lot easier to do that in reaper especially when grouping so you can get some help. At epic levels on low reaper you can switch to PM, or wait until 30 when you are max power level. That is why I say "I am sure it does fine". I think scroll healing is superior at heroic levels.

They key gear is festering mummy wrappings starting at level 15 and then legendary festering mummy wrappings once you are a high enough level. You will want an lgs stick with 150 negative spellpower that stacks with a regular spellpower item. Legendary Barovian Nobles Regalia looks like a winner for the build. A 5 piece material opposition set is really good for the higher hp, crit damage bonus and ender, but it takes a lot of legendary shrouds. 36% more hp and crit damage helps a lot.

GaxTheImmortal
12-13-2017, 05:38 PM
I only interested in r1 and elite for heroic. For epics I might go EE, but I doubt that I'll be soloing r1.
What heroic leveling order do you suggest?
What good sources of spellpower are there? I know about the Ring of Elemental Essence, Slave Lord's Staff, and Implement of the Deep Woods.
And what's a good ED for this build or this type of build?

Thank you.

slarden
12-14-2017, 03:59 PM
I only interested in r1 and elite for heroic. For epics I might go EE, but I doubt that I'll be soloing r1.
What heroic leveling order do you suggest?
What good sources of spellpower are there? I know about the Ring of Elemental Essence, Slave Lord's Staff, and Implement of the Deep Woods.
And what's a good ED for this build or this type of build?

Thank you.I go 13 wizard (finger) followed by 2 fvs (just reward) followed by 2 monk followed by 2 wizard. I mainly use cannith crafted gear for spellpower.

spellpower impulse, neg healing amp, ins spellpower impulse on gloves
spellpower negative, force lore on weapon 1
spellpower cold (or acid), ins neg spellpower on weapon 2
cold (or acid) lore on ring 1
neg lore on ring 2
spinneret is great at level 28+ for generic lore for the shiradi procs

heroic and then legendary version of pansophic circlet at many levels

The best ed is shiradi for dps, but if you need the spell pen you can switch to draconic. Unlike most paralyze the shiradi paralyze causes helpless so you want to twist in sense weakness over energy burst - if you can twist both in great.