PDA

View Full Version : Harper Ranger?

Hannse
01-11-2015, 03:06 PM
Hello, my Fighter who just reached lvl 20 suffered from being my first character and he also used the experience stone from MOTU to jump levels. He was underpowered and under equipped. I would like to rebuild him as a ranger (A bit of a flavour build that i have had help with on the forum) and have Experimented by TRing into an 18/1/1 INT based Harper - Ranger/Rogue/Fighter.
I have good knowledge of playing a pure rogue but not what constitutes good DPS.

I went for INT based as i hoped the +to Hit and Damage could come from one stat? as opposed to STR and DEX I also like the idea of decent roguish skills. I would prefer to use a great sword or longsword for flavour but have been effective dual wielding 2 envenomed blades.

Some details.

Human 32
current Stats (including equipment bonus, ship buffs and Some tomes)

STR 19
DEX 22
CON 25
INT 40
WIS 19
CHA 18

HP 494

SP 508

some pertinent skills for my play style

disable device 39
hide 46
move silently 46
spot 49
search 60
umd 30
open lock 29

Feats
bow strength
evasion
greater 2 weapon fighting
improved crit ranged
improved crit slashing
improved precise shot
manyshot
precise shot
precision
point blank shot
rapid shot
weapon focus ranged
weapon focus slashing
insightful reflexes
toughness

cannot remember which were chosen?

enhancements

24pts pent in harper tree including
45pts pent in depend sniper tree including
6 in Arcane archer for conjure bolts

Fighter trees not available for some reason?

Currently have Epic Denieth heavy chain I know this restricts evasion but short of any decent armour.
Bow of the silver flame and 2 envenomed blades.

Any comments or advice would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance

Emizand
01-16-2015, 05:38 AM
Great that you are building your own Hannse and more power to you for it. However I have give much consideration to Harper tree and ranger and after much thought decided I was trying to put a square peg in a round hole. Also I would prefer Concentration and Heal above Hide and MS. If you want to tailor to your type of play thats fine, but if you feel underwhelmed at the end of the experience thats not good.

If you havent already then give this post a good read:-

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/423116-Tempest-Trapmonkey-for-new-players

Also read carefully any comments from unbongwha and EllisDee when they reply to this post which I am sure they will. I have tried many ranger variations with spashes and the above post is a good point to start.

Good luck and happy hunting

Emi

Hannse
01-16-2015, 01:40 PM
Great that you are building your own Hannse and more power to you for it. However I have give much consideration to Harper tree and ranger and after much thought decided I was trying to put a square peg in a round hole. Also I would prefer Concentration and Heal above Hide and MS. If you want to tailor to your type of play thats fine, but if you feel underwhelmed at the end of the experience thats not good.

If you havent already then give this post a good read:-

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/423116-Tempest-Trapmonkey-for-new-players

Also read carefully any comments from unbongwha and EllisDee when they reply to this post which I am sure they will. I have tried many ranger variations with spashes and the above post is a good point to start.

Good luck and happy hunting

Emi

Thank you Emi,

The Tempest trap monkey is something i will go for when i TR (Got to craft a green steel bow first)

The build requires AP spent in Kensai but this was not an option available to me? i presume it should be?

Hannse

Emizand
01-17-2015, 11:18 AM
The Tempest trap monkey is something i will go for when i TR (Got to craft a green steel bow first)

How many times you planning on TRing? If its just to access the 36 point build and then Epic Reincarnating I wouldnt grind for a GS weapon, if going for more heroic lives then yes.

The build requires AP spent in Kensai but this was not an option available to me? i presume it should be?

If you have taken a level of fighter then you should be able to access fighter trees unless you have used all options. You can have race tree and 6 or seven others. So if you have opened all 3 ranger trees, harper tree and a couple of rogue trees then you wont be able to access fighter ones. If you havent spent points in them you can reset tree to your choice. Look at AP screen thingy and under each tree you will see name with a drop down box, change name of trees you havent invested in.