PDA

View Full Version : Wizard or Sorcerer

Ragnar1430
12-24-2014, 01:24 PM
I don't know which to play, could someone help me out.

Lonnbeimnech
12-24-2014, 01:26 PM
If you haven't played either one, play wizard first.

EllisDee37
12-24-2014, 01:48 PM
If you haven't played either one, play wizard first.Agreed, if only because it's so much more forgiving. You can change your mind in the middle of leveling a wizard and completely change out your spells at will. A sorc needs more planning ahead.

Enoach
12-24-2014, 02:01 PM
The wizard class has multiple levels of difficulty

It is great for beginner Arcanes because of the flexibility of switching out spells so that you have the most effective spells for the situation at hand.
It teaches the Spell DC (Difficulty Check) mechanic because of its diversity and flexibility
It can teach damage avoidance (Being lower in HP then most classes)
It can teach Spell Point conservation - This is valuable in content where resources are tight
It also has bonus feats every 5 levels which means more feat flexibility for trying out which work best for you.

Wizards also have a self healing option of the Pale Master or Warforged variety

Later it can teach mastery of getting the most for each Spell point used

However, much can be said for the shear raw power of the Sorcerer. It does not have the ease of switching out spells like the wizard but it is generally very basic in it needs from Level 1 to 20 as it is limited to 7 Feats (8 if human)

cru121
12-24-2014, 02:14 PM
My experience:
I loved playing sorcerer. Cheap and strong SLAs. Enough feats because you focus on one thing. Loses unwanted aggro by killing all.
I hated playing wizard. Glacial casting speed. Running out of SP.

Note: Other players love their wizards, so YMMV.

Dandonk
12-24-2014, 02:21 PM
My experience:
I loved playing sorcerer. Cheap and strong SLAs. Enough feats because you focus on one thing. Loses unwanted aggro by killing all.

I agree completely, glad to see I'm not the only one.

Of course, I tend to play all my characters as barbs :) "If a problem cannot be solved by the application of DPS, you're not applying enough".*

* INT runes are a problem, though ;)

dunklezhan
12-24-2014, 02:47 PM
My experience:

I loved my sorcerer too. But if you've never played arcane before, Wizard is probably the right choice for maximum flexibility.

phillymiket
12-24-2014, 02:48 PM
If you want to blow things up, play a Sorc.
- Fast casting times.
- Cheap SLAs that actually do stuff, as opposed to the Wiz arcane and necrotic bolts etc which do less.
- Can get DPS spells in your element very powerful.

If you want to be versatile or aren't sure what you are doing, play a Wiz.
- Can change spells at will
- Undead form for easy self-heals.
- Extra feats to improve DCs or Spell Pen if you don't have PLs. Extra skill points.
- Can cast all spells effectively so you don't have the "they're immune to my element" thing to deal with.

For Heroic levels my personal favorite is Wizard because I prefer "Insta-kill" over DPS on Heroics.
I go with Evocation Arch-mage until level 12 then switch to a Undead Illusion Arch-mage.
I find all the spells you get cheaply are useful in the Illusion school: Blur, Invisibility, Displacement, and the real good one Phantasmal Killer (10 SP for a death is not a bad trade).
That all changes on Epic.

Wh070aa
12-24-2014, 03:44 PM
I would say make them both.
Wizard for trying things out, and sorcerer for actual playing.

If you play sorcerer, you have to research spells and stuff beforehand, so you know what you want. The actual game play is more forgiving, as long as you level up right. Also you get less spells, and they are easier to master. The casting and cool down speed is really good for not getting hit. SLA's (spell like abilities, from enchantments) are really great. Lacks feats, and healing. Unforgiving for level up mistakes.

If you are not sure about your build and spell selection, do wizard, as its easier to change around. Casts slower, but can change spells as needed. Way better healing and instakills/crowd control. Many feats, less spell points. Better items available. Steep learning curve, and kinda slow game play, unless you use quicken feat, and decimate your spell points.

I personally started as hafling(for healing) sorcerer, because I could not manege my spell pool on a wizard. That was before echos of powers taught, so being wizard is less hard now.

The actual question is what spell school(s) and element(s) are you gonna go for. The differences between them are pretty huge, and you probably have to switch it around, if you run certain quests.

unbongwah
12-24-2014, 03:55 PM
If you like spamming raw elemental DPS and have a solid build to follow, sorc is the way to go: fewer spell slots so you have to choose your spells with care; but more SPs and plenty of DPS bonuses in the Savant PrEs. I would say Fire+Air Savant is the best overall combo, but really you can make any allowable pair of elements work.

If you prefer flexibility in your spells, need self-sufficiency on a fleshie arcane caster, prefer focusing on instakills (Necromancy) and/or CC (Enchantment), or want Evasion & trap skills from a rog splash (see Pale Trapper (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/422622)), wiz is better, IMHO. You're allowed to inscribe every arcane spell, so it's easier to experiment with different combos than on a sorc; Pale Master provides survivability and caster bonuses, particularly to non-Warforged wizards; and you get extra feats which makes it easier to max out your DCs and Spell Pen (important for Necro & Enchant spells) as well as giving a bit more flexibility with feats. The biggest downsides are fewer SPs and the wiz SLAs aren't nearly as good DPS-wise as the sorc ones.

If you want a melee gish, petition Turbine to make Eldritch Knight a lot better. :p

HazyOne
12-24-2014, 04:22 PM
Play my first life as a sorc.. Next 3 as wiz, 18-2 wiz rogue, int being the main stat for a wiz really helps your thieving skills, evasion isnt quite as great as before prr/mrr but wearing a lite armor and evasion i fell god like playing en/eh. Highly recommend ellise dee's pale trapper build for a first time around. Sla in archmage take illusion 4 tier is phantasmal killer, 10 sp insta kill, beat that sorcerer's :)

Lanhelin
12-24-2014, 07:39 PM
Wizard.

Because of versatility and Wizards can farm (although it nowadays either is rarely wanted or needed) special drops from elementals that only reveal when debuffed by a special spell. Sorcerers can do too, but they are more restricted regarding using/changing spells.

Also maybe you want to discover the most outstanding feature of enchanting no other MMO (I know of) offers. Because one doesn't get XP per monster killed, but per objective achieved, so strategies like charming an army of formerly hostile monsters to let them clear the area on their own is very possible. It's pretty cool, if you like that playstyle. Sorc would be very restrictive regarding usable spells.

Bluegirl_Two
01-05-2015, 12:30 AM
Want an over-powered build that can easily solo epic hard regardless of epic destiny and that is spell point efficient? If so then play paladin 3/wizard 17. All INT and CON. Pale master in Lich form, eldritch knight wearing heavy armor relying on greater single weapon fighting while holding an orb in your off hand.

Tier 5 in eldritch knight for Tenser's (31 ap), tier 4 in pale master w Lich (31 ap), tier 2 in sacred defender for bulwark aura w sacred defense (8 ap), tier 3 in Harper (12 ap) for strategic combat 2. If you want to conserve some ap drop to Wraith in pale master giving you 10 ap to play with.

Crush the content.

Enjoy.

Edit: Because boys are having trouble:

Lich takes wizard 18 meaning you'll need to go paladin 2/wizard 18 instead of paladin 3/wizard 17 if you want that form. It is a trade off between the better AC and some bonus HP available with paladin 3 and the benefits of Lich. You'll have to decide which is better for you.

Also 31+31+12+8=82. You only get 80 action points. You have to make choices about whether certain enhancements are more important than others.

I did try to point you in a direction by mentioning taking only Wraith form in pale master.

But seriously boys, do some of the thinking on your own. ;)

icekinslayer
01-05-2015, 01:15 AM
Want an over-powered build that can easily solo epic hard regardless of epic destiny and that is spell point efficient? If so then play paladin 3/wizard 17. All INT and CON. Pale master in Lich form, eldritch knight wearing heavy armor relying on greater single weapon fighting while holding an orb in your off hand.

Tier 5 in eldritch knight for Tenser's (31 ap), tier 4 in pale master w Lich (31 ap), tier 2 in sacred defender for bulwark aura w sacred defense (8 ap), tier 3 in Harper (12 ap) for strategic combat 2. If you want to conserve some ap drop to Wraith in pale master giving you 10 ap to play with.

Crush the content.

Enjoy.

take a look at the wiki some time. lich is 18 wizard levels. maybe you were thinking of wraith, vampire, or zombie?

http://ddowiki.com/page/Pale_Master_enhancements

Bluegirl_Two
01-05-2015, 08:32 AM
take a look at the wiki some time. lich is 18 wizard levels. maybe you were thinking of wraith, vampire, or zombie?

http://ddowiki.com/page/Pale_Master_enhancements

You are correct. You'll also note that the enhancements run more than 80 ap. It is a framework and not a build. Minor adjustments have to be made based on personal preferences. I'm pretty sure I wrote something about wraith instead of vampire.

I can point you in the right direction but you do have to do some of the thinking for yourself.

Have fun. :)