PDA

View Full Version : Gnomes.

Jastarn
12-18-2014, 01:31 PM
Make gnome a forgotten realms starting race, and set up a series of adventures up through lvl 15.

to start you could just have 1 to 2 per level, just enough to let you have stuff to run. Then when you reach lvl 15 have a cutscene of the attack on eveningstar, and of the arrival of new hero's.

&there could be a seperate instance of eveningstar so you can't group with ebberon based hero's until lvl 15 (I.E. pre attack, after attack. sorta like sunny/snowy side korthos.)

this is just my 2 cents, I realize this would probably be too much work for little return, although you could release it as an expansion (like shadowfell etc) and have say, a goblinoid tribal mask (as opposed to the spider cult mask) and a special FR companion (like owlbear)

(also goblins could be introduced as a low level opponent, as opposed to eberron's kobolds :) I know FR has kobolds lore-wise as well, but i feel its past time to introduce goblins into DDO)

Jastarn
12-18-2014, 01:35 PM
Along with gnomes, possibly a few genasi? tieflings might be owned by NWN, but aasimar/earth-fire-air-water genasi could be cool.
other new content could include psionics ;)
or some other new classes, like warlock, or hexblade.

probably not going into enough detail/probably not a great idea anyway, but throwing it out there for you guys to see

(also, I REALLY want warlock to be a class :o)

nibel
12-18-2014, 03:11 PM
I just can't agree with gnome being FR specific. There is a ton of gnome lore in Eberron, and that should lead for them to switch all Stormreach Chronicles NPCs from halflings to gnomes. Also, I want to see how they would handle the Mark of Scribe.

But I would not oppose if they released at the same time a FR-only sub-race of iconic gnome, like svirfneblins.

The only thing I ask is that gnome should draw from 4e/5e and be a +int race instead of +con.

Uska
12-18-2014, 07:04 PM
Gnomes need to be Eberron they are one of the house races but other than flavor they add little to the game but I want them anyways and last point don't care for a new starter area anywhere but especially not one in the realms. Oh the real last point gnomes are more iconic for Dragonlance and Eberron than anywhere else

FranOhmsford
12-18-2014, 07:46 PM
/Yark

salmag
12-19-2014, 07:12 AM
Gnomes should be an Eberron Race, since they have a Dragonmark.

I wouldn't mind seeing Tiefling Warlocks as an Iconic FR class though.

As for starting out in FR, I would like to see more quests, but not a starting point.
Korthos is fine for that.

I wish they would abandon FR completely and focuse more on Eberron, but I don't think they will.

Uska
12-19-2014, 08:01 AM
Gnomes should be an Eberron Race, since they have a Dragonmark.

I wouldn't mind seeing Tiefling Warlocks as an Iconic FR class though.

As for starting out in FR, I would like to see more quests, but not a starting point.
Korthos is fine for that.

I wish they would abandon FR completely and focuse more on Eberron, but I don't think they will.

Ugh to Tieflings and double ugh on warlocks I agree with you last statement and sadly it's most likely correct

dunklezhan
12-19-2014, 08:03 AM
Is it gnome thread time again?

Shifters.

dunklezhan
12-19-2014, 08:05 AM
goblins

Goblins I would like to see. However I think the boat has floated away on that one, or we'd have most likely got them with haunted halls instead of more kobolds.

Neomarica
12-19-2014, 09:01 AM
Unless we can get Dragonlance-style tinker gnomes, I'll vote NO to gnomes.

Uska
12-19-2014, 09:09 AM

Shifters.

yes

TrinityTurtle
12-19-2014, 11:08 AM
Just throwing some gnome support in. I don't care about the details, but it's weird that a core race isn't in the game to me. So however you want them is fine with me, FR, whatever. Bring on the gnomes. As long as they don't look like they belong on my neighbors creepy lawn.

Miow
12-19-2014, 11:28 AM

Shifters.

Are those people who shift a lot in their chairs?

Gnomes beat up your chair shifters.

Uska
12-19-2014, 11:51 AM
Are those people who shift a lot in their chairs?

Gnomes beat up your chair shifters.

A gnome wouldn't have a chance against a shifter plus shifters are much more interesting .

fmalfeas
12-19-2014, 12:50 PM
I think they need to hit multiple nails with one big hammer for this one. Gnome Illusionist Iconic, complete with a spell pass that adds a good number of Illusion spells to the game. Including Shadow Conjuration, and maybe some unique-to-DDO custom Illusions. Like 'Illusory Champion - you target a mob, cast Illusory Champion, and you get a 'dumbfire pet' version of the mob that works for you, attacking the original. The target gets will saves against the attacks, but making the save doesn't dispel the illusion. True Seeing, however, could grant immunity to the spell.' And an oldie but goody, Shadow Door. (It looks exactly like you just DDoor'd out. But really, you just dropped all aggro, and got Improved Invis.)

salmag
12-20-2014, 12:11 PM
A gnome wouldn't have a chance against a shifter plus shifters are much more interesting .

I am all for Shifters too. But my heart lies with Gnomes. So Gnomes first, please.

I think they need to hit multiple nails with one big hammer for this one. Gnome Illusionist Iconic, complete with a spell pass that adds a good number of Illusion spells to the game. Including Shadow Conjuration, and maybe some unique-to-DDO custom Illusions. Like 'Illusory Champion - you target a mob, cast Illusory Champion, and you get a 'dumbfire pet' version of the mob that works for you, attacking the original. The target gets will saves against the attacks, but making the save doesn't dispel the illusion. True Seeing, however, could grant immunity to the spell.' And an oldie but goody, Shadow Door. (It looks exactly like you just DDoor'd out. But really, you just dropped all aggro, and got Improved Invis.)

More Illusion spells are always nice. Here are some adapted to DDO.

Color Spray (level 1) - Knocks unconscious, blinds, and/or stuns weak creatures. Can be Heightened.
Disguise Self (level 1) - Changes your appearance (makes you look like an enemy so you can move past, sneak attack, etc.).
Invisibility, Greater (level 4) - As invisibility, but subject can attack and stay invisible. Can be Extended.
Shadow Conjuration (level 4) - Conjures a Shadow to fight for you.
Nightmare (level 5) - Sends vision dealing 1d10 damage per caster level, and fatigue. Can be Heightened, Empowered, Maximized.
Seeming (level 5) - Mass Disguise Self.
Veil (level 6) - Change an enemy's appearance to look like a party member that Intimidates all enemies around him. Can be Heightened.
Shadow Conjuration, Greater (level 7) - Conjures a Shadow Stalker to fight for you.
Scintillating Pattern (level 8) - Twisting colors confuse, stun, or render unconscious. Can be Heightened.
Shades (level 9) - Conjures a Shade to fight for you.
Weird (level 9) - As phantasmal killer, but affects all within 30 ft.

dunklezhan
12-20-2014, 12:18 PM
More Illusion spells are always nice. Here are some adapted to DDO.

Color Spray (level 1) - Knocks unconscious, blinds, and/or stuns weak creatures. Can be Heightened.
Disguise Self (level 1) - Changes your appearance (makes you look like an enemy so you can move past, sneak attack, etc.).
Invisibility, Greater (level 4) - As invisibility, but subject can attack and stay invisible. Can be Extended.
Shadow Conjuration (level 4) - Conjures a Shadow to fight for you.
Nightmare (level 5) - Sends vision dealing 1d10 damage per caster level, and fatigue. Can be Heightened, Empowered, Maximized.
Seeming (level 5) - Mass Disguise Self.
Veil (level 6) - Change an enemy's appearance to look like a party member that Intimidates all enemies around him. Can be Heightened.
Shadow Conjuration, Greater (level 7) - Conjures a Shadow Stalker to fight for you.
Scintillating Pattern (level 8) - Twisting colors confuse, stun, or render unconscious. Can be Heightened.
Shades (level 9) - Conjures a Shade to fight for you.
Weird (level 9) - As phantasmal killer, but affects all within 30 ft.

Yes to more illusions like this... but I'd still rather have shifters. :D

Disguise Self (or indeed a spell like friends) - I'm not sure how they'd achieve that in the current engine. Maybe it would have to work like a mezzing aura? Mobs see you, and attack, but at the last second go 'oh, wait, its Bob' and be mezzed for x seconds, with their aggro reset when the timer runs out. If you're out of LOS by then, all good. Useless vs ranged mobs that way, but it's a low level spell. Compromises :)

fmalfeas
12-20-2014, 12:29 PM

Disguise Self (or indeed a spell like friends) - I'm not sure how they'd achieve that in the current engine. Maybe it would have to work like a mezzing aura? Mobs see you, and attack, but at the last second go 'oh, wait, its Bob' and be mezzed for x seconds, with their aggro reset when the timer runs out. If you're out of LOS by then, all good. Useless vs ranged mobs that way, but it's a low level spell. Compromises :)

I think Friends would be simple. Since what it did (depending on edition) was either buff your cha so you could charm the target, or simply move you up a reaction check level, then I'd say it applies a large diplo buff, and makes your next diplo use AoE. Not so great when solo, but in group, lets you get everything off you, and hopefully bank to a tanky person. That way you can go back to messing with their heads.

Oh, and that reminds me...could bring back the old Enchantment spell 'chaos', and bring in an Illusion version...call it 'phantasmagoria'. Both doing the same thing (target or targets act very randomly, unable to tell friend from foe, sometimes just wandering off). One does it by mucking up their mind, the other does it by completely messing with their senses so they can't tell what's true and what isn't.

salmag
12-20-2014, 12:46 PM

I was thinking that the Disguise spells would work sort of like this:

You cast it on yourself/party, start moving through mobs (if you attack them, the spell wears off). If one of the mobs sees through the Illusion, they (and only those that made their save vs. Illusion) would attack the party members. Once the party engages them, the spell wears off. Those mobs that didn't make the save, would now attack.

If you could bring the mob that made the save out of eyesight before attacking back, then those that failed the save wouldn't break from the Illusion.

The Veil spell would change the appearance of one of the mobs to make them look like an intimidating enemy and would garner hate from his buddies, causing them to attack him.

Creatures affected would have an orange (or other color) circle above their heads. Players disguised could have an orange circle around their feet. You wouldn't change their skin, however, that would be cool.

just some ideas.

fmalfeas
12-20-2014, 12:58 PM
At least there's already code for something like Veil. The effect of the greatsword Insanity renders a mob both friend and foe to EVERYTHING. (I say friend and foe because your hire will heal it, even though it's also eligible for nuking.)

kilagan800
12-24-2014, 04:57 AM
Gnomes. Make it so, Number One....

deconedi
12-26-2014, 01:59 PM
Yes, Gnome int based; spell pass.

LeslieWest_GuitarGod
12-26-2014, 02:49 PM
Gnomes all the way. But with gnomes, should come new illusion spells for casters and bards. Would be hot stuff and would put asses in seats!

Maxxcore
12-26-2014, 02:58 PM
Kalashtar! :D

Yehediah
01-01-2015, 11:29 PM
Make gnome a forgotten realms starting race...

Agreed. I'm still pushing for gnomes!