PDA

View Full Version : Outside the box ideas to generate $$$$ for DDO

Loromir
12-18-2014, 01:19 PM
We all know that businesses need to generate $$$ to survive. I assume that most of us who post on these boards enjoy DDO and want to see it stick around for as long as possible. Lets brainstorm some ways that DDO could generate cash that wouldn't be considered "pay to win".

Think outside the box...if your only suggestion is to "fix more bugs" or "give us better content"...take that to another thread. We have plenty of examples of those types of suggestions. I want this to be a constructive conversation.

Some Ideas I have are:

I say get creative...think outside the box. Example...sell Crystal Cove Kobold Ringtones. Who wouldn't love to hear "Kobold Still Hate You" every time they get a call. Sell DDO artwork or a DDO calendar. Sell downloadable MP3 files of various music within DDO. Give us the chance to buy real items from the DDO store, not just virtual items.

What other Ideas do you have?

Jastarn
12-18-2014, 01:20 PM
Example...sell Crystal Cove Kobold Ringtones.

yes.

just yes.

Fedora1
12-18-2014, 01:33 PM
I think two of the most common things players have been asking for (and willing to pay for that would not be PTW) are Gnomes as a player race and player housing.

Maybe not "outside the box" but I see so many players asking for these two things it would certainly generate some revenue.

fmalfeas
12-18-2014, 02:25 PM
Housing could definately be a financial shot in the arm, if it's flexible enough. But it does take an investment to get it going. But it /does/ need to be flexible. The decorator players (who will spend money to do so, EQ2 and EQ1 have plenty of them doing it) are going to want to be able to do their thing with it. Make it pretty, and usually with a cohesive theme. Like a Temple of the Silver Flame. Or a Fighter's training hall. Or a Dojo for monks. Or a Wizard's Library, or Artificer's workshop. And of course the players who would want it to look like a harem even Jeets wouldn't believe in.

Jastarn
12-18-2014, 02:26 PM
And of course the players who would want it to look like a harem even Jeets wouldn't believe in.

+1 for making me laugh

The_Human_Cypher
12-18-2014, 03:05 PM
Some Ideas I have are:

I say get creative...think outside the box. Example...sell Crystal Cove Kobold Ringtones. Who wouldn't love to hear "Kobold Still Hate You" every time they get a call. Sell DDO artwork or a DDO calendar. Sell downloadable MP3 files of various music within DDO. Give us the chance to buy real items from the DDO store, not just virtual items.

I would pay for a "Kobold Still Hate You" ring tone, even though I have never purchased a ring tone in my life. :)

DDO Calendars would not be hard to have printed up but Turbine would have to keep stock and ship them. The total cost of doing this might be prohibitive.

I suggested including ornate dice and figurines with the next paid expansion, but as above, Turbine would have to keep stock based on their expected sales and then ship them. Digital inventory is much easier to manage which is why online games tend to be more profitable than retail boxed games.

The_Human_Cypher
12-18-2014, 03:09 PM
I think two of the most common things players have been asking for (and willing to pay for that would not be PTW) are Gnomes as a player race and player housing.

Maybe not "outside the box" but I see so many players asking for these two things it would certainly generate some revenue.

Gnomes could be a money maker but player housing almost definitely would bring in considerable revenue. Player housing in both LOTRO and SWTOR were financially successful, and player housing can bring in a regular stream of purchases after being designed only once (it is has to be maintained and debugged however).

The_Human_Cypher
12-18-2014, 03:13 PM
Housing could definately be a financial shot in the arm, if it's flexible enough. But it does take an investment to get it going. But it /does/ need to be flexible. The decorator players (who will spend money to do so, EQ2 and EQ1 have plenty of them doing it) are going to want to be able to do their thing with it. Make it pretty, and usually with a cohesive theme. Like a Temple of the Silver Flame. Or a Fighter's training hall. Or a Dojo for monks. Or a Wizard's Library, or Artificer's workshop. And of course the players who would want it to look like a harem even Jeets wouldn't believe in.

I mentioned themed housing in the Player Housing thread. A Xoriat themed housing option (complete with lava lamp, bong, fun house mirrors, etc) would appeal to a certain segment of the player population (i.e. me). Other options would be a monk Dojo, Silver Flame temple for clerics and paladins, Elvish housing, and so on. The housing options could always be rolled out periodically to keep player housing fresh and generate more recurring sales.

The_Human_Cypher
12-18-2014, 03:21 PM
One fairly easy way to increase revenue that I have discussed a number of times is to make VIP subs even more appealing. A special VIP area / tavern with all the vendors which can be accessed like The Portable Hole, unique pets and cosmetic items, and periodic VIP only events would increase subs and therefore recurring revenue IMHO.

Loromir
12-19-2014, 07:32 AM
I would pay for a "Kobold Still Hate You" ring tone, even though I have never purchased a ring tone in my life. :)

DDO Calendars would not be hard to have printed up but Turbine would have to keep stock and ship them. The total cost of doing this might be prohibitive.

I suggested including ornate dice and figurines with the next paid expansion, but as above, Turbine would have to keep stock based on their expected sales and then ship them. Digital inventory is much easier to manage which is why online games tend to be more profitable than retail boxed games.

No...Turbine wouldn't have to maintain inventory....they can have the items shipped directly from the vendor. My company does this all the time.

Nachomammashouse
12-19-2014, 08:27 AM
New store items:

1. Otto's Wondrous Box 2495TP. In Otto's Wondrous Box you get:

1 Potion of Supernatural Health: +10 permanent HP, persists through reincarnation
1 Potion of Supernatural Mental Health: +25 permanent SP, persists through reincarnation
1 Flesh Golem Manual: allows you to summon a flesh golem hireling to fight for you (like an onyx panther/owlbear whistle)
2 Cosmetic Weapon Aura of Wondrous Hues: provides a +2 random elemental damage on hit to equipped weapons
1 Eternal Flask of Lesser Mnemonic Enhancement 15-70sp 1x per rest, no min level
1 Eternal Flash of Wondrous Power: as Potion of Wondrous Power 1x per rest.
1 Character Sparkling Dust: as cosmetic pet sparkling dust, but usable on player characters

When can I buy this, please?

2. Cosmetic skins for druid wolf and artificer iron defender

3. Cosmetic skins for player characters... tattoos, zebra stripes, green skin, whatever

4. Rigged Dice: allows you to reroll any daily dice roll 1x per day

5. Deck of Many Things 2495TP. In a Deck of Many Things you get 3 one time random card pulls that can be any of the following:

Justice: card appears in inventory bta, can be used to change your alignment once
Two of Swords: card appears in your inventory and can be used once to instantly slay any creature
Page of Swords: gain a permanent fighter hireling
Ten of Swords: +1 to all saving throws henceforth, persists through reincarnation
Jester: gain 200,000xp
Star: gain a +5 random ability tome
Moon: You are granted 1 wish (you may select from any Deck of Many Things card)
Hermit: Gain +2 permanent diplomacy skill, persists through reincarnation, plus a unique ship amenity

The above are based on the actual Deck of Many Things D&D artifact, but obviously the options are endless

JOTMON
12-19-2014, 08:30 AM
~Player Housing is an easy money maker.

Setup a generic door somewhere, like in house J.
Offer some housing focussed ammenities...
like:
butler (barkeep effect that covers the whole house)
Upgradeable house interiors. turn that simple hut into a mansion..
Option on guild portal doors to go to the ship or the players house.
Player storage chests,.. ( who doesn't want more general storage space)
Trophy cases
Wall of shields
Wall of weapons.
Mannequins that you can put gear on... (I want to build a hall of dragon armor sets.. and more...)
Pictures, lots of wall art potential..

~Fashion boutiques and Custom armor shops..
Players are vain.. a place to customize the look of gear/looks .. people pay..
Armor creations need to be able to take all the items in the game and break them down to their basic components
Base pieces, trim, crests, customize colours of each... same for weapons, shields, helms...
Offer fashion competitions with a small entry fee.. to have custom built gear be considered for public release(DDO store), with some sort of prize back to the design winners.

perhaps even adding trades.. use Cannith crafting template..
Metalsmiths, gem smiths, leathersmiths..tailors... for fashion oriented crafting with cannith crafting crossover usage.
Higher level crafters can add augment slots to crafted items.. and such....
Crafting custom armor, weapons, shields, helms, various gear pieces..

~Crew quarters.. condo version of player housing ..
Set a door on a ship in the harbor for those that don't have their own guildship... yet...
Door on guildship offers access to crew quarters layout like blockade buster (or a smaller version of the cargo hold) .. with various upgrades.. captains quarters....

phillymiket
12-19-2014, 08:43 AM

I don't think Turbine has the rights to anything "outside the box" unfortunately.

Companies are usually touchy about that, and from what I understand, Dungeons & Dragons in particular.

So I doubt anything with a Beholder on it would be possible.

Even if they technically could make something with DDO specific images, like Soul Stone Earrings, they probably have agreed not to, which is why they don't sell DDO t-shirts.

But there have been promo DDO t-shirts, so who knows?

Realistically, the things you and others mentioned are the way to go. Housing, races, classes, content.

Unrealistically -

"DDO for the Holidays" - All your favorite Holiday Classics as sung by the stars of DDO!

"Winter Wonderland" by Arraetrikos
"Oh! Come all Ye Faithful" by Elminster
"Deck the Halls" by Yaulthoon
"Jingle Bells" by Brawnpits
"SSSSilent Night" by Hesstess the Medusa
"Handel's Messiah" by The Kobold Workers Union

It would be worth the money just for the Kobolds singing "Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Yark!"

Hazelnut
12-19-2014, 08:48 AM
Unrealistically -

"DDO for the Holidays" - All your favorite Holiday Classics sung by the stars of DDO!

It would be worth the money just for the Kobolds singing "Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Yark!"

This I love!

fmalfeas
12-19-2014, 09:34 AM
I don't think Turbine has the rights to anything "outside the box" unfortunately.

Companies are usually touchy about that, and from what I understand, Dungeons & Dragons in particular.

So I doubt anything with a Beholder on it would be possible.

Even if they technically could make something with DDO specific images, like Soul Stone Earrings, they probably have agreed not to, which is why they don't sell DDO t-shirts.

But there have been promo DDO t-shirts, so who knows?

Realistically, the things you and others mentioned are the way to go. Housing, races, classes, content.

Unrealistically -

"DDO for the Holidays" - All your favorite Holiday Classics as sung by the stars of DDO!

Can go farther than that! They could give us a whole run of major NPCs singing songs that aren't holiday too!

Elminster - Do Ya Think I'm Sexy? (Trust me, after reading the Elminster books, and the various bits in Dragon Magazine, he's a 2000+ year old pervert.)
The Lord of Blades - Iron Man
Inquisitor Gnomon - Liar
The Coin Lords - Money (It's What I Want)
The Kobold Worker's Union - 16 Tons
Ana - Help!

axel15810
12-19-2014, 09:38 AM
Forgotten realms teleport wands that place you at any location in forgotten realms

Ebberon teleport wands (with other areas that spell doesn't include)

VIP lounge as mentioned above. Honestly I want to be VIP but there's little reason to be which is why I'm not.

More storage space

custom armor colors/custom armor designs

wilderness/public area run speed boost potions

more pets/pet customization

Purchasable new character face/body customizations

MadCookieQueen
12-19-2014, 11:10 AM
They should tap into the star power already available...

Really, sponsor Teh_TrollCast. Make it a subscription podcast service, so that people can once a week hear him greet them as his minions and gain some witty insights into how not to be terrible at DDO.

It's a win!

And launch it along with his saucy new book "Halflings on an Open Fire: A Guide to Refined Eating"

The_Human_Cypher
12-19-2014, 02:52 PM
VIP lounge as mentioned above. Honestly I want to be VIP but there's little reason to be which is why I'm not.

Here is a video of the Neverwinter Online Moonstone Mask VIP Lounge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3NJOPL21qA

arminius
12-19-2014, 03:03 PM
The number one thing you'd have to beat me not to pay for:

Account-wide inventory search.

The_Human_Cypher
12-19-2014, 03:20 PM

Just making a larger, more searchable Shared Bank would make me happy.

phillymiket
12-19-2014, 06:50 PM
Here is a video of the Neverwinter Online Moonstone Mask VIP Lounge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3NJOPL21qA

What??!!??

Moonstone Mask has become a hive of the worst sort of scum and villainy: Role-Players!

I walk in to the Moonstone Mask with the simple goal of selling ZEN CHEAP!!!W.W.W.S.P.A.M.A.L.O.T.C.O.M. best prices!!! ALL ITEMS!! NO WAIT!! and everyone gets all bent out of shape with their "harken ye!" this and "stand down, good sir!" that...

(actually for real, The Moonstone is one of the best things in that bad game and a true sanctuary from the spammers and PvP ragers.)

The_Human_Cypher
12-19-2014, 11:41 PM
What??!!??

Moonstone Mask has become a hive of the worst sort of scum and villainy: Role-Players!

I walk in to the Moonstone Mask with the simple goal of selling ZEN CHEAP!!!W.W.W.S.P.A.M.A.L.O.T.C.O.M. best prices!!! ALL ITEMS!! NO WAIT!! and everyone gets all bent out of shape with their "harken ye!" this and "stand down, good sir!" that...

(actually for real, The Moonstone is one of the best things in that bad game and a true sanctuary from the spammers and PvP ragers.)

Neverwinter Online is a bore but it does have some neat features. I would really like to see a VIP only lounge in DDO with some special perks accessible in that area.

The_Human_Cypher
12-21-2014, 10:48 PM
I checked out World of Warcraft's website (another boring game) and they sell all kinds of collectibles from their site's online store.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/shop/

I also noted that WoW has 641k Twitter followers to DDO's 8k.

fmalfeas
12-21-2014, 11:46 PM
I think part of the merchandising problem is that its...D&D. WoTC already merchandises it. DDO might be able to do some things though. Like a Coyle 'stress ball' type thing you can crush over and over. Or a talking Inquisitor Gnomon. :)

The_Human_Cypher
12-22-2014, 01:00 AM
I think part of the merchandising problem is that its...D&D. WoTC already merchandises it. DDO might be able to do some things though. Like a Coyle 'stress ball' type thing you can crush over and over. Or a talking Inquisitor Gnomon. :)

Turbine could make Inquisitor Gnomon air fresheners. "Soon nothing I can say will throw them off the scent."

Sir_Noob
12-22-2014, 02:18 AM
All the guys who prefer to play female toons in the game could hold a simultaneous topless car wash in cities around the world on sunday the 28th.
All proceeds to be donated to DDO to hire people who work on nothing but the bugs.

If that works we could try something with Bronies the following month.

haulindonkey
12-22-2014, 02:42 AM
They should tap into the star power already available...

Really, sponsor Teh_TrollCast. Make it a subscription podcast service, so that people can once a week hear him greet them as his minions and gain some witty insights into how not to be terrible at DDO.

It's a win!

And launch it along with his saucy new book "Halflings on an Open Fire: A Guide to Refined Eating"

I think a rip in the space-time continuum opened under his bridge and sucked him into a parallel universe. Now he's demanding the DDO players in the new universe "hjeal meh!", that they feed him roast halflings, and provide him a giant harem of female? (not sure) trolls.

haulindonkey
12-22-2014, 02:44 AM

Now that's a win x1000
/signed

P.S. Also willing to beat you for free even if we don't get this most awesome of services

haulindonkey
12-22-2014, 02:46 AM
What??!!??

As so it's the digital, MMO equivalent of a Renaissance fair?

P.S. They LOVE it in the Renaissance fair when you talk on your cell-phone. Just sayin....

phillymiket
12-23-2014, 02:44 PM
Thanks for extra XP! :-)

I'm not saying this because I'm a VIP... well maybe only a little bit...

Things like "bonus weekends" are more fun and exciting than static percs that you soon forget you are even getting.

Have more VIP bonus stuff that is announced on the load screen to encourage more Subs like the current bonus weekend.

"VIPs get +30 haggle - tonight only", "VIPs get a Cosmetic Festivault Hat. Visit the Jester!" "VIPs automatically enter to win in the annual "Become a Statue in the Hall of Heroes Contest."

Stupid little things, that's what we like.

As so it's the digital, MMO equivalent of a Renaissance fair?

P.S. They LOVE it in the Renaissance fair when you talk on your cell-phone. Just sayin....

or noting that their "peasant" hat is polyester.

Moonstone is kind of Ren Fair, kind of not.

It seems to split between actual "Hark!" style role-play and just serious discussions about D&D and other stuff.

My friend is in a guild that role-plays that they are a mob family and you have to move up ranks in the guild by role-playing various stuff. I'm a but confused by the whole thing and am not a Moonstone Person so I may be misrepresenting the scene.

Seikojin
12-23-2014, 03:56 PM
How about TP for groups. Pay X TP to have staff join your group.

Livmo
12-23-2014, 04:26 PM
Look at Tolero's avatar. Those are real dice. Promotional of course, but why not sell those?

I can't find my Fry Shut up and Take my Money meme atm, but I would pay $20 for a pair. Perhaps sold and shipped thru Amazon?

Ancient
12-23-2014, 10:09 PM
Cosmetic clicky that gives the player a champion crown.

Qezuzu
12-24-2014, 12:18 AM
Kobold Shaman cleric hireling.

Ogre Barbarian hireling.

And, *drumroll*

Succubus Sorceress hireling. Has a toggle to either favor CC spells or damage spells.

Come in lvl3, 9, 15, 21, and 27 versions. Or something. 1, 6, 11, 16, 21, 26 versions? Something like that.

All have voiced lines (that can be toggled off.)

lyrecono
12-24-2014, 01:16 AM
We all know that businesses need to generate $$$ to survive. I assume that most of us who post on these boards enjoy DDO and want to see it stick around for as long as possible. Lets brainstorm some ways that DDO could generate cash that wouldn't be considered "pay to win".

Think outside the box...if your only suggestion is to "fix more bugs" or "give us better content"...take that to another thread. We have plenty of examples of those types of suggestions. I want this to be a constructive conversation.

Some Ideas I have are:

there is a CC kobold soundboard(with all the CC sounds) out there, you can use those as a ringtone

people crave power, new content, immersion, those can be sold for money.
Build a town and sell houses empty and sell different interiors
give us more main continent places to visit, but no expansion, the last was a sham

Kawai
12-24-2014, 02:10 AM
Thread full of Win.
haven't seen bad idea yet.

Would luv Housing, but how to implement it?
What happs to Guild Airships?
Combine them, maybe?

Way back when they implemented Cosmetic Armors, they also added Mirrors @Shops to try them on, lights & everything. They still exist, tho useless, really.

i remember thinking... it would b coolness if we had CoffeeShop, or simply a
place for everyone ta gather, etc.

One thing for sure,
there needs ta b a reason for Community being together, instead of spread out across all worlds or hanging out on Ship.

Here's outside box...
remove ALL Auction House Vendors from game except ONE.
(i vote Market)
ditto, w/ Mailbox. <------ grumble, i know, but it would bring everyone @one place.

----
then, there is still matter of one very old school idea that is quite INSIDE that box.
a d v e r t i s e.
that's on WB, not Turbine's dime.
is there like, if anyone knows, a way to jump up & down on WB's suits desk & get their attention?
& isnt there a movie or somthing coming out soon involving D&D/WB?
how r they not advertising?

anywayz, again, great thread Opie. +1

Ayseifn
12-24-2014, 02:19 AM
Greater Tome of the Treasure Hunter: +50% chance of a named item dropping.
Greater Tome of the Gold Farmer: +50% gold from chests, as well as challenge materials and crafting materials.
Veteran Status III and IV: Start a new character level 15 or 20.

That's jaded me talking, for less power creepy stuff how about followers? Something like hirelings but they level up with you and change their gear, spells, abilities, etc. as they do. Might cut into gold seal contract sales a bit depending how it's implemented though.

Player housing gets brought up a ton, something like the airships crossed with how Skyrim did it could be ok. So buy a house for plat and furnish it for AS, found items or store bought goodies depending on what theme you'd like. Mix and match a bit so maybe some bookshelves and an alchemy table from the Wizards Pack and an interior styling from the Eveningstar Pack. No need for power creep like airships, just more storage, some pretties to show off and something like a better than anywhere else teleporter to get people to bother visiting. Could mostly steal assets from quests and airships, the hard part will be doing a hookpoint type setup in a more fine grained manner.

phillymiket
12-24-2014, 06:45 PM
Kobold Shaman cleric hireling.

Ogre Barbarian hireling.

And, *drumroll*

Succubus Sorceress hireling. Has a toggle to either favor CC spells or damage spells.

Come in lvl3, 9, 15, 21, and 27 versions. Or something. 1, 6, 11, 16, 21, 26 versions? Something like that.

All have voiced lines (that can be toggled off.)

Those are great ideas.

What about a hireling that was always set to your level?

People might pay a bunch for a perma hireling that was always appropriate for your level, especially if it was unique like a kobold or succubus. (call them Henchmen?)

They could charge thousands of TP for one and still have them sell like Otto's Mysterious Hotcakes.

Edit - Oh wow dude right above me said the exact same thing.

Yeah ^^^^ what he said.

The_Human_Cypher
12-24-2014, 09:25 PM
Cosmetic clicky that gives the player a champion crown.

Very cool idea! This would probably be more popular than the devs might guess.

The_Human_Cypher
12-24-2014, 09:39 PM
i remember thinking... it would b coolness if we had CoffeeShop, or simply a place for everyone ta gather, etc.

One thing for sure, there needs ta b a reason for Community being together, instead of spread out across all worlds or hanging out on Ship.

The VIP Lounge I have been suggesting for over a year now would be a unique place like this in the game. Non-VIPs could buy one time passes or packs of passes (x5, x10, etc) to the VIP Lounge from the DDO Store if they wish to enter. DDO doesn't have to call this place a "VIP Lounge" but instead give it an upscale name and then include access to it as part of the VIP sub.

cdbd3rd
12-24-2014, 09:40 PM
Look at Tolero's avatar. Those are real dice. ...

Hehheh.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2013/10/Jack-Nicholson-YES-horny.gif

Kawai
12-25-2014, 05:21 AM
The VIP Lounge I have been suggesting for over a year now would be a unique place like this in the game. Non-VIPs could buy one time passes or packs of passes (x5, x10, etc) to the VIP Lounge from the DDO Store if they wish to enter. DDO doesn't have to call this place a "VIP Lounge" but instead give it an upscale name and then include access to it as part of the VIP sub.

its a good idea, Cyph, but i don't feel it's right to single out freepers & premies ta generate $.
if that's the idea, then they might as well make Ship Portals VIP only.
-not cool.

Rofaust
12-25-2014, 01:23 PM
3-D printed PnP miniatures of players' favorite toons with their same armor and weapons as equipped in game. Cheap. Easy to do. Profitable. The technology and software exist already and are easily accessible, tinkercad and the like. The crossover of paper and pen players who play ddo is pretty high and I suspect there are more than a few with a soft spot for one of their ddo characters whom they'd like a perfect miniature for to bring them into PnP. I was actually thinking of doing this as a start-up but I'm lazy.

Uska
12-25-2014, 01:38 PM
3-D printed PnP miniatures of players' favorite toons with their same armor and weapons as equipped in game. Cheap. Easy to do. Profitable. The technology and software exist already and are easily accessible, tinkercad and the like. The crossover of paper and pen players who play ddo is pretty high and I suspect there are more than a few with a soft spot for one of their ddo characters whom they'd like a perfect miniature for to bring them into PnP. I was actually thinking of doing this as a start-up but I'm lazy.

Use Heroforge its pretty close to what you call for

Nuclear_Elvis
12-25-2014, 04:43 PM
After playing both FTP/Premium for a few weeks, and then going VIP and seeing the content for both sides (at least, basic game dynamics), my number one suggestion would be to improve upon and expand the Monster Manuals. These, for cost to FTP/Premium, could easily sell along the way if tweaked a bit. If done very well - could even charge TP to VIPs to unlock early (similar to Art or Fav Soul being earned by VIP). Some things the current manuals don't do, but should:
- Don't have all existing monsters, from Construct Dogs to new content critters. I predict a Volume V will be released with more, but adding to the existing manual but keeping the same functionality/reward types should be updated.
- No high res/3D view of creatures unlocked. While this function should be disabled while actively playing the game (or at least, while in adventure/challenges), could offer a cool way to view and spin around views of creatures. A further unlock - allow random/custom generation of the creature similar to the way you build an initial character and customize its looks. This could even further expand to buying a hooked version avatar for airship, or even a creature companion (lots of directions this idea could go).
- More detail and specificity on creature statistics and vulnerabilities, unlocked much further/deeper over a long period and accumulation of killing them (similar to your Character stats page, you could earn more specific details of information over time on a similar monster sheet).
- Do temporary Monster Manual events (kills/week or day, or something).

This is just a start - these things could become so much more...

The_Human_Cypher
12-25-2014, 05:15 PM
After playing both FTP/Premium for a few weeks, and then going VIP and seeing the content for both sides (at least, basic game dynamics), my number one suggestion would be to improve upon and expand the Monster Manuals. These, for cost to FTP/Premium, could easily sell along the way if tweaked a bit. If done very well - could even charge TP to VIPs to unlock early (similar to Art or Fav Soul being earned by VIP). Some things the current manuals don't do, but should:
- Don't have all existing monsters, from Construct Dogs to new content critters. I predict a Volume V will be released with more, but adding to the existing manual but keeping the same functionality/reward types should be updated.
- No high res/3D view of creatures unlocked. While this function should be disabled while actively playing the game (or at least, while in adventure/challenges), could offer a cool way to view and spin around views of creatures. A further unlock - allow random/custom generation of the creature similar to the way you build an initial character and customize its looks. This could even further expand to buying a hooked version avatar for airship, or even a creature companion (lots of directions this idea could go).
- More detail and specificity on creature statistics and vulnerabilities, unlocked much further/deeper over a long period and accumulation of killing them (similar to your Character stags page, you could earn more specific details of information over time on a similar monster sheet).
- Do temporary Monster Manual events (kills/week or day, or something).

This is just a start - these things could become so much more...

I would really like to see the Monster Manuals developed further and also new volumes added. This is one of my favorite features in the game and has made much of the older content fresh again. I know that a number of players ran new content that they hadn't touched in years just to get red names for the Monster Manual.

The_Human_Cypher
12-25-2014, 05:25 PM
its a good idea, Cyph, but i don't feel it's right to single out freepers & premies ta generate $.
-not cool.

An exclusive lounge for players would be no more elitist than the Hall of Heroes. VIP subscribers receive access to the Hall of Heroes as part of their subscription but premium / f2p players must purchase a Hall of Heroes passport from the DDO Store. The DDO Store could sell a permanent pass to the Players' Lounge as well as one time passes.

http://ddowiki.com/page/Hall_of_Heroes_Passport

The Players' Lounge could contain all of the vendors and pawnbrokers in the game with steep discounts as well as a PvP area, a mailbox, Auction House, and even some unique amenities (any suggestions here would be appreciated). We currently have The Portable Hole and the Hall of Heroes both of which can't be accessed by everyone in the game, so adding a Players' Lounge would not disadvantage anyone but would still make a VIP sub more attractive.

Rofaust
12-25-2014, 08:07 PM
Use Heroforge its pretty close to what you call for

Heroforge is expensive. I'd never buy from them personally, and I don't think ddo would make any money if they had to channel business through them.

Maxxcore
12-25-2014, 08:35 PM
All the guys who prefer to play female toons in the game could hold a simultaneous topless car wash in cities around the world on sunday the 28th.
All proceeds to be donated to DDO to hire people who work on nothing but the bugs.

If that works we could try something with Bronies the following month.

I'm there.

Uska
12-25-2014, 09:58 PM
Heroforge is expensive. I'd never buy from them personally, and I don't think ddo would make any money if they had to channel business through them.

I can't see them coming up with a service cheap enough on their own to make a profit either

Rofaust
12-25-2014, 11:25 PM
I can't see them coming up with a service cheap enough on their own to make a profit either

I dunno lol plastic is pretty cheap. Charging even a dollar for a mini that costs pennies to make would turn a ridiculous profit - if people will pay $25 for one unpainted miniature on hero forge I'd say that isn't much of a challenge to best. Turbine wouldn't even need a fancy printer to do plastic minis; you can find a suitable one for two maybe three hundred dollars. Recouping your cost after the first dozen miniatures seems like a business no brainer to me...

Uska
12-26-2014, 12:33 AM
I dunno lol plastic is pretty cheap. Charging even a dollar for a mini that costs pennies to make would turn a ridiculous profit - if people will pay $25 for one unpainted miniature on hero forge I'd say that isn't much of a challenge to best. Turbine wouldn't even need a fancy printer to do plastic minis; you can find a suitable one for two maybe three hundred dollars. Recouping your cost after the first dozen miniatures seems like a business no brainer to me...

Doing custom minis wouldn't be that cheap to develop as far as I know the general public can't even order them yet from heroforge

Sir_Noob
12-26-2014, 02:08 AM
Quote Originally Posted by The_Human_Cypher View Post

-not cool.

Thing is, it is not singling them out since the VIP's are paying a monthly fee.
If it is something that helps to keep players as VIP's then "it is" doing it's job.
Everyone else can buy passes.

I like the idea.

Single passes could also become part of the daily lottery so players who would not be interested in buying could see what they are missing and thus be inclined to either vip or buy passes.
(Providing the lounge is good enough)

The_Human_Cypher
12-26-2014, 02:32 AM
Thing is, it is not singling them out since the VIP's are paying a monthly fee.
If it is something that helps to keep players as VIP's then "it is" doing it's job.
Everyone else can buy passes.

I like the idea.

Single passes could also become part of the daily lottery so players who would not be interested in buying could see what they are missing and thus be inclined to either vip or buy passes.
(Providing the lounge is good enough)

Here, here. I think that the Players' Lounge could be in an unspecified place like The Portable Hole or in a celestial sphere ("up in the clouds"). Characters on accounts with a VIP sub, the Players' Lounge Passport, or a pass could enter via the airship portals from anywhere in the game. After visiting the Players' Lounge, a character could step onto his or her airship from a portal in the lounge or go elsewhere in the game world.

Kawai
12-26-2014, 02:53 AM
k...
so what exactly entices anyone ta go there?
as is...
Questing: Ship/Quest/Ship etc.
Not Questing: Hanging out @Market AH & minding Store.

what would make anyone want to go there, especially if one would have ta pay?

srsly. im on board w/idea, just cant fathom overcoming anger @paying4it.
(& yea, i'm a vipper)

phillymiket
12-26-2014, 03:32 AM
k...
so what exactly entices anyone ta go there?
as is...
Questing: Ship/Quest/Ship etc.
Not Questing: Hanging out @Market AH & minding Store.

what would make anyone want to go there, especially if one would have ta pay?

srsly. im on board w/idea, just cant fathom overcoming anger @paying4it.
(& yea, i'm a vipper)

Zone chat is what people come for in the VIP zpne of that other game people have mentioned.

It's just an area that looks nice, that you can do in between quest stuff like sell, and just hang out deciding the next thing to do or waiting for party to fill.

You can chat with zone 'regulars' without being in party, guild or private channel.

In the "other" game, a big advantage is that because its a VIP area you don't get the endless zone chat gold spammers, spamming their illicit goods. Those guys are all one day old fake f2p accounts and can't get into the VIP area.

Also, each zone has LFG spam making zone chit-chat harder. Forget areas like town center. Just endless insults and non-sense. VIP area has much less of all of that, so you can chat.

DDO has practically zero gold spammers and general chat is quite sparse these days so I'm also not quite sure how it would be different then just the Marketplace, except there would be even less people to talk to.

The_Human_Cypher
12-26-2014, 04:47 AM
The appeal of the Players' Lounge over taverns or the Marketplace is that everything characters use (including PvP) would be in one place AND it would also be the designated place to hang out. I still don't think this would be enough to justify the area which is why I solicited ideas for unique amenities or features in this new area. Discounted repairs and good prices at the pawn brokers can already be obtained on the airships.

Any ideas for amenities not yet in the game?

fmalfeas
12-26-2014, 04:55 AM
Tressym breeding minigame! (Hey, Final Fantasy games get people to go to stupid lengths for Chocobos, and Tressym are way cooler.)

The_Human_Cypher
12-26-2014, 05:03 AM
One very elaborate PvP area would be a draw. PvP isn't the focus of this game but the Players' Lounge could help expand this feature. Right now, most PvP seems to happen at the Lobster on Argo server.

phillymiket
12-26-2014, 05:06 AM
Any ideas for amenities not yet in the game?

Costume Designer - offers temporary cosmetic appearances.

Master Planner - in-game 'planners' like character planner, gs, cannith crafting, etc.

Supply Sergeant - link to a list of the inventory of your alts.

Juke Box - Play your favorite quest tracks in the zone.

Map Shop - Buy a temporary unlock of an explorer zone map.

Wrangler - Offers special Hirelings including monster types.

Uska
12-26-2014, 05:08 AM
One very elaborate PvP area would be a draw. PvP isn't the focus of this game but the Players' Lounge could help expand this feature. Right now, most PvP seems to happen at the Lobster on Argo server.

No that use of dev time would tick me off more than just about anything else, plus I cant see it generating much income at all!

The_Human_Cypher
12-26-2014, 05:12 AM
Costume Designer - offers temporary cosmetic appearances.

Master Planner - in-game 'planners' like character planner, gs, cannith crafting, etc.

Supply Sergeant - link to a list of the inventory of your alts.

Juke Box - Play your favorite quest tracks in the zone.

Map Shop - Buy a temporary unlock of an explorer zone map.

Wrangler - Offers special Hirelings including monster types.

I like all of these ideas but, of course, they would require a significant amount of coding (I would guess). Maybe the PvP area could include a betting feature where characters can pair off or form teams and spectators can bet on them for plat or even Astral Shards.

phillymiket
12-26-2014, 05:20 AM

PvP is just such a deadly thing because as soon as we have it people will want balance for it which is not good.

But then again some kind of PvP mini-game as a goof might be fun.

What about an zone where you take control of certain stock characters to fight?

Maybe a Mind Flayer is the Ref/MC and you mentally take control of one of a dozen avatars specifically balanced for PvP fighting.

You only get basic moves and one pre-set hot bar of spells/abilities.

DDOs versions of Chun Li, Ken and Blanca.

So you port in and basically fight with the Monk -vs- The Fighter or whatever.

No? Ok fine... even I hate that idea and I suggested it :-D

nvm.

I like all of these ideas but, of course, they would require a significant amount of coding (I would guess). Maybe the PvP area could include a betting feature where characters can pair off or form teams and spectators can bet on them for plat or even Astral Shards.

You think those would be coding challenges?

The costume preview exists already in the store.
The Map unlock already exists.
Juke Box is easy enough.
Linking to inv of alts could be easy or super-hard depending. Based on MyDDO i'd say super-hard is probably it.
Wrangler would o/c require new Hires so would take lots of work.
Planners could maybe be a windowed box with a link, which already exists from the MyDDO features.

The_Human_Cypher
12-26-2014, 05:25 AM
Age of Conan is going to introduce something called The Pit of Trials

http://www.ageofconan.com/news/game_director_letter_october_2014

"In the PvE version, you can enter the arena and speak to an NPC, who will offer you a roster of that is based upon the pets that you have collected, with an associated fee. Once you have chosen a pet, you will be placed in a queue and when it is your turn, you will teleported into the arena to face off against a monstrous, deadly version of your companion pet!"

Renwa1
01-05-2015, 03:48 PM
In NWN and NWN2, you could build your own mods. Why not allow VIP's and pay only members access to a mod generator that they could then create their own content? You could have a voting system and contests and everything.

phillymiket
01-05-2015, 03:59 PM
In NWN and NWN2, you could build your own mods. Why not allow VIP's and pay only members access to a mod generator that they could then create their own content? You could have a voting system and contests and everything.

Unfortunately, in that game, the Foundry has been a major source of exploitation. DDO would be worse, far, far worse.

Renwa1
01-05-2015, 04:17 PM
Unfortunately, in that game, the Foundry has been a major source of exploitation. DDO would be worse, far, far worse.

Makes sense. I think there are other mmo games besides NWN and NWN2 that could do that is why I suggested. But your just saying the words is enough for me to believe each and every one of them. I can just see it. But oh well. I had to try.