PDA

View Full Version : Sort of new f2p player needs advice

Bertemusdorsi
12-14-2014, 09:24 PM
Played this game on and off for years, finally want to make the march to level 20. Starting on a new server (Khyber) have Premium account, as well as access to Warforged race and Artificer class. More than likely won't be spending more money on the game for the immediate future, would like to know a few things:

1. For a player with no resources, tomes and running 28-pt builds, as well as a great need to solo everything, what class would you recommend? I know a Battle Cleric is going to get a lot of love here, and I was wondering if running a level or two of fighter for some martial weapon proficiencies/specializations would be worth it? Or should I just roll pure cleric? What kind of stat array am I looking for? I looked around for guides but all of what I could find seems really old.

2. Would a 28pt Warforged Artificer be a suitable solo alternative due to pet and self heals?

3. Is there a guide that allows me to see a recommended quest list for a solo, f2p player?

Any other advice or offers of friendship would be extremely welcome and appreciated. I know you're probably rolling your eyes at me asking some likely pretty common questions, but I'm yet to find an answer I find satisfactory pertaining to the game as it plays TODAY, not several years ago. Thanks for any help! : )

Nefatron
12-14-2014, 09:36 PM
Im a Avid artifice user. I really think they are the most survivable class in the game as well.

Self Heals, Crowd Control, Good DPS, Trapping, Buffs, and rune arms.....
If i had to suggest a solo build to a new player it would be a Pure artificer.. or even a 18/2 Rogue splash for evasion of course and some extra spot.

They are not feat starved by any means and there are plenty of Enhancement tree points to go all around. I always end up just putting some in odd places to use them up.

As far as the dogs go, They can be very useful! My first couple artificer lives my dog as carried my soul stone to the shrine several times.

Arti heroic DPS has always been pretty powerfull. Now with the harper I find I can switch from Ranged to Caster seamlessly as I see fit with out having to gear out for it.

Give it a shot, Everybody I turn to playing a arti loves it.

Bertemusdorsi
12-14-2014, 09:42 PM
Aright, I'm more than happy to try the Artificer first, for sure. Do I need STR, really? Or just DEX, INT, CON? I'm not sure what stat repeating Xbows use for damage.

Nefatron
12-14-2014, 09:43 PM
Ima send you a message ;P

dredre9987
12-14-2014, 09:53 PM
Either Pure Arti or Swash Bard.

I prefer the bard. They are very strong right now. I have a first lifer that can solo a lot of EE's all by herself. I also duo with a friend more often than not. ( Atm we are both running bards very close to a Monte Cristo build ( charisma based and swash )).

For some helpful info this helps

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/425026-A-Gathering-of-Guides-A-Travelogue-of-Tools

Watch for dates of course, I can't count the times I was looking something up and didn't pay attention to that! ;)

Bertemusdorsi
12-14-2014, 09:56 PM
Either Pure Arti or Swash Bard.

I prefer the bard. They are very strong right now. I have a first lifer that can solo a lot of EE's all by herself. I also duo with a friend more often than not. ( Atm we are both running bards very close to a Monte Cristo build ( charisma based and swash )).

For some helpful info this helps

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/425026-A-Gathering-of-Guides-A-Travelogue-of-Tools

Watch for dates of course, I can't count the times I was looking something up and didn't pay attention to that! ;)

This interests me a lot, since Bard is my favorite class but I wasn't sure it could be played well with the 28pt build. Is the link to the guide on the Bard forum? Sorry running around like a chicken with my head cut off figuring stuff out.

Thank you both so much for the help! I'll probably make a Bard, an Arti and a Battlecleric and see which one works best for me : P

dredre9987
12-14-2014, 10:23 PM
This interests me a lot, since Bard is my favorite class but I wasn't sure it could be played well with the 28pt build. Is the link to the guide on the Bard forum? Sorry running around like a chicken with my head cut off figuring stuff out.

Thank you both so much for the help! I'll probably make a Bard, an Arti and a Battlecleric and see which one works best for me : P

We both are currently running similar to this.

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/443235-The-Count-of-Monte-Cristo-dps-CC-survivability-focused-pure-swashbuckler

I use warchanter to move up and get freeze on vorpal and Frozen Fury. ( I think of it as my bard stunning fist ;) )

We can both CC EE and neither of us has perfect gear. Leveling up felt very easy. Hmmm not easy. I guess more intuitive. It showed a lot of the reasons to play a bard.

Starting stats...just go with whatever works. Think of the skills you want and make your int what you need. Get as much cha as you can and don't forget con. 13 dex for precision at least. Str can just be a dump along with wis.

I think it is more about how you can play a bard now. DPS certainly wasn't their strong point before. Now they have Damage, Utility, CC, and survivability.

AbyssalMage
12-24-2014, 05:48 AM
28 pt I would go Swash Bard. Easy gear and versatile. If you had 32 pt, I would say Artificer though.

Fedora1
12-24-2014, 06:25 AM
Just wanted to toss this out there - I don't think a Battle Cleric is as survivable as you may think, for solo play. Three things are gotchas (at least for heroic elite quests, normal/hard almost any build works):

1. You're going to run into a lot of traps. If you have played the content a lot, this may be somewhat avoidable, but clerics have notoriously low reflex saves, less jump and less tumble so not always able to avoid the traps even when you know they are there.

2. Same for mobs tossing AOE spells at you - your low saves are going to mean these will hit hard even with some decent MRR.

3. My own battle cleric (haven't used in a long time) even with 2 fighter levels and weilding TH weapons and high strength still took a long time to knock some bosses down. DPS is decent but not like a fighter/barb/pally dps.

Anyway not trying to discourage you from building one, just tossing some stuff out for consideration. You may do fine with a battle cleric, these are just some things I ran into while soloing mine.

Lonnbeimnech
12-24-2014, 07:12 AM
Just wanted to toss this out there - I don't think a Battle Cleric is as survivable as you may think, for solo play. Three things are gotchas (at least for heroic elite quests, normal/hard almost any build works):

1. You're going to run into a lot of traps. If you have played the content a lot, this may be somewhat avoidable, but clerics have notoriously low reflex saves, less jump and less tumble so not always able to avoid the traps even when you know they are there.

2. Same for mobs tossing AOE spells at you - your low saves are going to mean these will hit hard even with some decent MRR.

3. My own battle cleric (haven't used in a long time) even with 2 fighter levels and weilding TH weapons and high strength still took a long time to knock some bosses down. DPS is decent but not like a fighter/barb/pally dps.

Anyway not trying to discourage you from building one, just tossing some stuff out for consideration. You may do fine with a battle cleric, these are just some things I ran into while soloing mine.
Now that heavy armor and shields block a portion of elemental damage, traps are less deadly.

unbongwah
12-24-2014, 08:57 AM
Since no one has mentioned paladins yet, I will go ahead and say "paladins." :) All melee combat styles are viable on a pally, but there's never been a better time to play a S&B pally: pure pallies have much better DPS than they used to; hvy armor & shields provide more protection than they used to; and Vanguard PrE provides some nice DPS, defensive, and tactics options. Plus you don't need a single tome or much in the way of gear, apart from the usual. See my Sacred Vanguard thread.

Arianrhod
12-24-2014, 09:10 AM
I'd say the most important part is to pick a class you enjoy playing - with hirelings even a pure barbarian or rogue can make it to 20 without too much frustration...as long as the player enjoys that class' strengths and doesn't hate its weaknesses too much. Other considerations would be what to spend money on; for me that would be packs, packs & more packs, because I hate repetition and don't like having to do everything on Elite just to get leveled up. With all the packs, you can take it at your leisure and have fun with it. But tastes vary. If you're a farm-for-gear, can't-bear-to-run-on-anything-less-than-hard type, there might be other priorities for where to spend your money/points. Also, if you don't have/don't plan to get all the packs, consider picking ones with explorer areas - you can pick up a lot of xp in those if you're willing to grind your way through the higher slayer counts.

Whatever you pick, have fun, and good luck :)

Sianys
12-24-2014, 09:11 AM
Since no one has mentioned paladins yet, I will go ahead and say "paladins." :) All melee combat styles are viable on a pally, but there's never been a better time to play a S&B pally: pure pallies have much better DPS than they used to; hvy armor & shields provide more protection than they used to; and Vanguard PrE provides some nice DPS, defensive, and tactics options. Plus you don't need a single tome or much in the way of gear, apart from the usual. See my Sacred Vanguard thread.

Seconded, though I switched my Pally to THF prior to the recent boost for S&B. She's currently lvl 21 in Divine Crusader ED.

OP, I've got a pure Ranger to lvl 24 on Khyber, currently working on her 2nd ED (went Primal first, now in Shiradi). I "solo" (with a hire) almost everything that can be solo'd, at least in Normal and Hard. I'm sure if I were a better player, I could probably do HE and EE as well. Point being, you can probably do any class you want, though some are easier to get to 20 than others. Go with what's fun and suits your play style. :)

Faltout
12-25-2014, 09:19 AM
Played this game on and off for years, finally want to make the march to level 20. Starting on a new server (Khyber) have Premium account, as well as access to Warforged race and Artificer class. More than likely won't be spending more money on the game for the immediate future, would like to know a few things:

1. as well as a great need to solo everything,

3. Is there a guide that allows me to see a recommended quest list for a solo, f2p player?

Since many commented on the builds, I'm going to focus on this line here.
First of all, what is that great need to solo everything? Is it RL related so there's nothing that can be done, or preference related? If it is preference, I suggest you reconsider. The free quests basically go up to level 12. Past that level, the free quests are way too limited:
13: Mired in Kobolds
15: Acid Wit
15: Delirium
15: Disciples of Shar (in eveningstar - see below)
15: Escape Plan (in eveningstar - see below)
16: Lords of Dust (part 1)
16: Servants of the Overlord (part 2)
16: Spinner of Shadows (part 3)
16: Beyond the Rift (part 4 - provides access to eveningstar and thus to the 2 lvl 15 quests there)
18: In the Demon's Den
Since you are a premium player and do not intend to party, you will have to do the quests on Normal -> Hard -> Elite and then repeat them some more because the xp is still not enough to get you to 20. What's more, many of those quests are tough to solo on elite with champions on any first life build:
- Mired in Kobolds has a dragon and kobold Shamans at the end fight. You need evasion, self healing, DPS to pull it off. ( hires are mostly useless)
- Delirium is too wipe prone, since you are alone. (hires are mostly useless)
- Spinner of Shadows can be soloed, but it needs extreme skill and careful planning. (Hires will actually hurt your tactics)
- In the Demon's Den solo on elite? hahahahah. Sure, if you can take on 3 ritualists at the same time that are spamming blade barriers, disintegrate and dispell. (hires will be dead all the time)

This is all too frustrating to handle on your own. So if you have the chance to party, go for it.
As for the number of quests: You will get free Turbine Points by gathering favor. If you have some turbine points left from previous purchases/play time, then I suggest around 1000 favor (that would be around level 15 having left out Xorian Cipher, Tempest's Spine and completed the level 16 quest chain), you should purchase Vale of Twilight pack or Necropolis IV. That will provide you with the rest of the xp you need to reach level 20. Vale provides a wilderness and the subterrane for all your filler xp needs.
If you don't have leftover TPs (1000 favor is 500 TP and Vale costs more) you should gather easy 100 favor from another server.

Cheers