PDA

View Full Version : Changes

bakalarko
12-06-2014, 11:25 AM
Hi everyone! Im a returning player, who has been first active since the start of the game and came back to it from time to time. This is only MMO that I kept coming back to and only MMO Im currently playing. What I noticed in all this time is that the player base/community is shrinking to those loyal and usually older players. Most of these players are above 30 from what I noticed and are VIPs or have spent money to acquire in game content. They are one of those communities that will purchase any updates that come along and enjoy it. They will know every quest and trap in that quest by heart and zerg thru in record time.

Problem is, this is really really noob unfriendly game and only thing that somewhat helps it is that very community.

I would like to encourage DDO staff to take care of that precious community they have and to think about how to attract new players.

Attracting new players is a difficult job for this MMO due to fact that every new game that comes out will have better graphics, modern gameplay (which quite often sucks), be noob friendly and easy to get into and so on. I personally lack the idea how to achieve this other than marketing and serious discounts. But there is one thing that could help those who downloaded and started DDO fresh. Those players who came back or who just started should be given an encouragement to keep on playing.
Older players have made their characters op in a way that's unachievable to new players that arent willing to spend large amount of money immediately and if they dont, they will find themselves in parties that are so superior that they'll feel like they cant keep up and holding the party back.
Tomes, experience bonuses, those things are far from achievable to new players. Why? Because in order to reach at least close to existing players they would need to spend at least 100 dollars before they reach level 20 in game + subscription if they arent going with buying adventure packs. 100 dollars just to get the stats, since tomes in game are next to impossible to get if you dont grind hard and you can't grind hard if you dont have and op toon, which you don't and thats why you grind.
While playing I felt like quitting again just cuz I felt like I am not making any progress and only the community thats superfriendly kept me going. (Thanks guys!)
So, this is solvable in a few ways of course, but I think a good step forward for you and new players would be, since you need to make money and they need a cheaper start, would be making the double points promotions permanent. Giving new players and existing ones more turbine points for the same amount of money and decreasing the cost of upgrades and all content seems a step forward, at least to me.

Thats only my opinion, but this is one of the reasons why some of my mates stopped playing.

janave
12-07-2014, 06:00 AM
Once you understand the game you realize much of the powercreep is unnecessary to succeed at the Dungeons, few exceptions.

There are a lot of classes/builds that require minimal gear to be very powerful, there are ones that require a ton of gear before they become competitive. Deciding on a build that comes with lot of inherent power/immunities is the best new players can do to keep up with veteran players.

What really makes the difference between old and new is stacking past life feats and the minimum level of banked gear. What TRs can pull out from storage by lvl11-13 is completely game changing. Of course the path from 1-20 and TR is easier than ever, gaining gear in DDO is not that hard since we have a lot of tradeable and turnin gained loot.

stoerm
12-07-2014, 06:45 AM
Agree with Janave. I don't buy tomes in principle, for example I only have a single +5 tome across all my alts and I pulled it from a raid. I have bought a few tomes to try some build concepts, but it's not necessary.

The reason people keep playing over years is that they still feel like they are progressing. The flip side is that new players are far 'behind' in comparison. They shouldn't compare themselves with old vets, of course, but it's hard not to. Power creep does lessen the gap but I think the balance is fairly good.

There are ways to reach power quickly and easily, with 'pony car builds' like WF/BF sorcs that can easily manage with random loot. I have a BF pallysorc that works nicely with no TRs and almost purely lootgen - no GS or other raid gear until I made a tier 1 TF stick at level 28. Buzzed through destinies into shiradi.

The way we can improve new player retention is to help out, play low level quests, post LFMs, and support their experience instead of showing how uber we are.

Jumiyo
12-07-2014, 06:49 AM
Once you understand the game you realize much of the powercreep is unnecessary to succeed at the Dungeons, few exceptions..

Agree on the above. It's a game..not a competition but alos there are classes that are better to start off with.

In my case I played healer roles as it was :
- less expectation to be in the front of the party and pound out DPS
- always helpful to party - no one complains if they get free heals
- follow OP toons on quests and I get as much chance as they do - to start pulling tomes etc
- invest some time to learn the game. I like you post so please don't misunderstand. But money can't but skill and quest knowledge. That's simply P2W and it's killing this game big time.... Many of the OP players invested a lot of time in the game - and they know the quests and the toon they play the abilities / what works and no works ..in order to be OP. It's not tome and gear (that I agree is a % of the equation)..but the player behind the toon that makes the toon powerful.

P2W is simply killing this game. I be against more incentives to free $.

stoerm
12-07-2014, 06:56 AM
Agree on the above. It's a game..not a competition but alos there are classes that are better to start off with.

In my case I played healer roles as it was :
- less expectation to be in the front of the party and pound out DPS
- always helpful to party - no one complains if they get free heals
- follow OP toons on quests and I get as much chance as they do - to start pulling tomes etc
- invest some time to learn the game. I like you post so please don't misunderstand. But money can't but skill and quest knowledge. That's simply P2W and it's killing this game big time.... Many of the OP players invested a lot of time in the game - and they know the quests and the toon they play the abilities / what works and no works ..in order to be OP. It's not tome and gear (that I agree is a % of the equation)..but the player behind the toon that makes the toon powerful.

P2W is simply killing this game. I be against more incentives to free $.

Also started with a cleric. Agree with all your points. One problem with powerful vets and BYOH it makes it a bit harder for newbies to feel useful.

Angelic-council
12-07-2014, 07:47 AM
- Every MMO games are noob unfriendly. Some are even worse than DDO.. It's very stressful sometimes.

- Developers already trying their best and listening to majority of player base.. the thing is, they have very limited time and money..

- Everyone has their own preference.. So, if people don't find this game fun for whatever the reason is.. they won't spend any money. And from my knowledge, many players already quit.

- Comminuty is the key here, I agree. Even someone like me, end game EE soloer, without people I'm nothing, there is no point in playing the game.

So much more to add.. I also wanted to talk about players mentality and the reality of the facts. But, I see this thread as an infinite loop. Because there are 100s... if not 1000s of threads like this. It's never get solved. People just talk... only post ideas. At the end of the day, we just log off and call it a night.. If you know what I mean. All the time... All the time.. Sigh.

Who is willing to stand up and help people here. I bet none.. maybe like, 1 out of 1000. I'm saying this because I was the one who helped 1000s of players in orien. And now I'm quit doing that. People don't respect (everyday I get "help me plz" message) and just using me. I also realized, time is very precious for many people that, they don't care much. So, what you guys gonna do. I'm very excited to see where this thread gonna head.