PDA

View Full Version : Drow SR Paladin

painkiller3
11-24-2014, 09:56 AM
i ran a dwarf occult slayer barbarian for a while (very similar to https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/436179-Dwarven-Occult-Slayer-Pure-Barbarian-Build) and there was some ideas in there for trying a paladin so i did it. with 10 base + 28 levels + 6 drow enhancements + 6 paladin tree + 9 from serenity (GMOF twist) you can have 59 SR. not enough to solo EE WGU, but enough to farm through the whole game on EH (for epic TRs) and EEs up to Gianthold (they used otto's irresistable dance on me so that may bypass spell resistance...if it does then 59 SR will work higher than that). You guys all know about the great DPS with the new paladin changes, the great PRR and MRR from sacred defense, and the great saves from divine might. The SR is just the cherry on the sundae, and it works for a vast part of the game.

drow paladin

32 point build (Drow 2+ TRs)
Strength 16
Dexterity 10
Constitution 14
Intelligence 12
Wisdom 8
Charisma 18

7 points in drow tree (to get +6 SR)
8 points in harper tree (+6 melee bonus, +1 enchanement bonus, +15 hp)
41 points in knight of the chalice including capstone (+10 melee bonus, +4 CHA, +8d6 light damage on hit stacking with melee)
24 points in sacred defender (including redemption (raise spells up to including true resurrection) and +6 SR)

feats - power attack (may try to get enough dex for precision)
empower heal
quicken
imp. crit
THF
ITHF
GTHF
21 - o.Crit
24 - shield mastery (in case you need to tank with all your hit points and spell resistance and prr and mrr)
26 - perfect TWF
27 - blinding speed
28 - first strike

the ideas are there, i'm sure there's some room for improvements. first time through i took cleave and great cleave, but now that overwhelming critical doesn't require cleave and great cleave (and the timers for the paladin enhancement cleaves overlap), they are not necessary at all, so i didn't have to choose between quicken and empower healing and was able to fit in shield mastery in case i decided to tank.

not a world beater or very original so i didn't name it lol

skorpeon
12-29-2014, 12:25 PM
i ran a dwarf occult slayer barbarian for a while (very similar to https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/436179-Dwarven-Occult-Slayer-Pure-Barbarian-Build) and there was some ideas in there for trying a paladin so i did it. with 10 base + 28 levels + 6 drow enhancements + 6 paladin tree + 9 from serenity (GMOF twist) you can have 59 SR. not enough to solo EE WGU, but enough to farm through the whole game on EH (for epic TRs) and EEs up to Gianthold (they used otto's irresistable dance on me so that may bypass spell resistance...if it does then 59 SR will work higher than that). You guys all know about the great DPS with the new paladin changes, the great PRR and MRR from sacred defense, and the great saves from divine might. The SR is just the cherry on the sundae, and it works for a vast part of the game.

drow paladin

36 point build
Strength 16
Dexterity 10
Constitution 14
Intelligence 12
Wisdom 8
Charisma 18

7 points in drow tree (to get +6 SR)
8 points in harper tree (+6 melee bonus, +1 enchanement bonus, +15 hp)
41 points in knight of the chalice including capstone (+10 melee bonus, +4 CHA, +8d6 light damage on hit stacking with melee)
24 points in sacred defender (including redemption (raise spells up to including true resurrection) and +6 SR)

feats - power attack (may try to get enough dex for precision)
empower heal
quicken
imp. crit
THF
ITHF
GTHF
21 - o.Crit
24 - shield mastery (in case you need to tank with all your hit points and spell resistance and prr and mrr)
26 - perfect TWF
27 - blinding speed
28 - first strike

the ideas are there, i'm sure there's some room for improvements. first time through i took cleave and great cleave, but now that overwhelming critical doesn't require cleave and great cleave (and the timers for the paladin enhancement cleaves overlap), they are not necessary at all, so i didn't have to choose between quicken and empower healing and was able to fit in shield mastery in case i decided to tank.

not a world beater or very original so i didn't name it lol

Looking at something like this, was going to use great axe with a paladin build, I did see some builds which could squeeze in many shot but that would probably take away too much. Looks fairly straight forward and may not be optimal as Humans see to dominate (for the extra feat I guess).

Is spell resistance that much of a problem for a paladin? I kinda thought their saves were super so not really a problem. Any feedback or ideas how I could use this?

Would be my third life with +6 tomes

painkiller3
12-29-2014, 12:34 PM
Is spell resistance that much of a problem for a paladin? I kinda thought their saves were super so not really a problem. Any feedback or ideas how I could use this?

personally i don't like to be danced or held on a 1 (must be my introvert side :) ). the saves are good, but you don't have to push so hard to get them high with the SR. if it could work as well on a fighter that would be even better ;) although to be fair any class could get 53 without the paladin aura...

unbongwah
12-29-2014, 01:23 PM
Is spell resistance that much of a problem for a paladin?
There are a number of spells with no DCs and only Spell Pen checks, making your high saves meaningless: e.g., Energy Drain, OID (http://ddowiki.com/page/Otto%27s_Irresistible_Dance). Death Ward will protect against Necro spells like ED (so does Sealed Life), but nothing protects against OID except SR, AFAIK. Well, that or staying out of touch range of casters, but that's a little tricky if you're playing a melee char...

Ralmeth
12-29-2014, 06:22 PM
Hey Painkiller3,

Have you play-tested this build, or is this just theory crafting? It is intriguing to think that maxing out spell resistance could work well. I only ever dabbled with SR, and when I tried it out, it never worked reliably in the content where you wanted it to work (i.e. at level on elite). I am curious to know how well this works...because honestly I think that the whole MRR concept is just plain silly and thought the developers should have focused on beefing up SR as a viable defense. Anyways, I'm intrigued to learn more;)

painkiller3
12-30-2014, 07:19 AM
Hey Painkiller3,

Have you play-tested this build, or is this just theory crafting? It is intriguing to think that maxing out spell resistance could work well. I only ever dabbled with SR, and when I tried it out, it never worked reliably in the content where you wanted it to work (i.e. at level on elite). I am curious to know how well this works...because honestly I think that the whole MRR concept is just plain silly and thought the developers should have focused on beefing up SR as a viable defense. Anyways, I'm intrigued to learn more;)

i'm playing it right now...turned my Cetus build into it. the SR works well (also against beholders in addition to the stuff above). it works on EE up to gianthold for sure, haven't done much EE past that becuase i'm zerging through EH for epic past lives. with the SR, the PRR/MRR of the defensive stance/heavy armor and everything else loaded into Knight of the Chalice i hit like a tank and can get hit like a tank(? that worked out better in my head). i soloed the undead eveningstar one on EE right after i hit level 20 which is no big deal (no speed records or bragging rights), but just showing what it can do at level. the necromancers didn't do very much to me, two deaths but that was because i got ambitious and run into one too many zombies. in any case, it has been playtested and i'm happy with it.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-_4qAWv_x48c/VGLv9XQZbSI/AAAAAAAAAtA/XT02qEnzPyo/s1600/ScreenShot00094.jpg
https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Oc5rZd19yNQ/VGLv9FchiSI/AAAAAAAAAs8/d6gaLSFKs2o/s1600/ScreenShot00095.jpg

Ralmeth
12-30-2014, 11:04 AM
i'm playing it right now...turned my Cetus build into it. the SR works well (also against beholders in addition to the stuff above). it works on EE up to gianthold for sure, haven't done much EE past that becuase i'm zerging through EH for epic past lives. with the SR, the PRR/MRR of the defensive stance/heavy armor and everything else loaded into Knight of the Chalice i hit like a tank and can get hit like a tank(? that worked out better in my head). i soloed the undead eveningstar one on EE right after i hit level 20 which is no big deal (no speed records or bragging rights), but just showing what it can do at level. the necromancers didn't do very much to me, two deaths but that was because i got ambitious and run into one too many zombies. in any case, it has been playtested and i'm happy with it.

That's awesome! Thanks for sharing:)

skorpeon
12-31-2014, 12:48 AM
Nice this look pretty much perfect for me then. I am not kitted out for a S&B Paladin and want to use my Great axe's that I have so this should make life as a Paladin fairly easy.

Do you have any advice on gear that would be really essential? That I can farm before I TR (I generally hate farming anything, I did run for evening star stuff so have the armor (from a previous life).

Thanks for posting your build.

Blackheartox
12-31-2014, 02:15 AM
There are a number of spells with no DCs and only Spell Pen checks, making your high saves meaningless: e.g., Energy Drain, OID (http://ddowiki.com/page/Otto%27s_Irresistible_Dance). Death Ward will protect against Necro spells like ED (so does Sealed Life), but nothing protects against OID except SR, AFAIK. Well, that or staying out of touch range of casters, but that's a little tricky if you're playing a melee char...

Spell absorb prevents oid, used correctly with the ammount of sp absorb we have its more then enough for almost all content.
For specific quests you would need to stock on scarabs tho

painkiller3
12-31-2014, 08:21 AM
Nice this look pretty much perfect for me then. I am not kitted out for a S&B Paladin and want to use my Great axe's that I have so this should make life as a Paladin fairly easy.

Do you have any advice on gear that would be really essential? That I can farm before I TR (I generally hate farming anything, I did run for evening star stuff so have the armor (from a previous life).

Thanks for posting your build.

eveningstar stuff would cover it i think.

at 20 i'm using

Weapon : eSOS
Helm : Minos
Goggles : HP/HP/HP/Blurry Shroud
Neck : Epic Golden Guile
Trinket : Voice
Armor : epic Red Dragonplate
Bracers : Sun Soul
Belt : Health + HP
Boots : Cannith
Gloves : PDK
Ring : Epic Ring of Master Artifice (for archmagi)
Ring : Epic Ring of Stalker

this isn't the best in slot (or probably even optimal) by any means...the big ones for me are blurry, ghostly, deception (non-epic Golden Guild will do) and archmagi. other people will have different interpretations, it has worked well for me. any epic two handed weapon with holy sword and zeal should work well.

slarden
01-18-2015, 01:54 PM
Thank you for the inspiration.

I am looking to make a 16 fvs / 4pal cha-based caster and I am hoping the 59SR is good enough for EN mark of death.

slarden
01-24-2015, 12:53 AM
Does Anti-magic have spell resistance? With a 59 SR I get anti-magic'd non-stop in MOD raid on EN.

painkiller3
01-30-2015, 09:55 AM
Does Anti-magic have spell resistance? With a 59 SR I get anti-magic'd non-stop in MOD raid on EN.

i don't think that quelling or beholder anti-magicking does, but the beholders shouldn't be able to level drain and i believe the vampiric knights shouldn't be able to CON drain

slarden
01-31-2015, 05:20 AM
i don't think that quelling or beholder anti-magicking does, but the beholders shouldn't be able to level drain and i believe the vampiric knights shouldn't be able to CON drain

Yes that is the case. I never took con damage or negative levels so I think it is no-fail in MOD EN against rays subject to spell resistance. Thank you.

AbyssalMage
01-31-2015, 02:16 PM
Drow paladin

36 point build

I know I am nitpicking

Thought Drow were 28/30/32 pt. only?

Otherwise I like the build concept. Thanks for sharing. I need to revamp my Pally anyways.

painkiller3
02-02-2015, 09:50 AM
I know I am nitpicking

Thought Drow were 28/30/32 pt. only?

Otherwise I like the build concept. Thanks for sharing. I need to revamp my Pally anyways.

you're correct, i have updated original

Ayseifn
02-02-2015, 10:06 AM

Been taking one of those never fail on a one feats and a twist for the other(who cares about ref saves now?) on my paladin ETRs and get by fine. If I get danced just use the harper pin and stun that dude, if there's a risk of drains use a DW clicky, if it's drains and beholders equip a spell absorb item and also cast DW.

Never played an SR character so could be missing something else though, does it stop the slow from spell wards and dispels from places like OOB? If it does I could see some point in going for it, while 59 is low at cap 51 at 20 should be alright for wards and low level quests where dispel happens a lot so it could be a thing. If I only have to cast GH every 11 mins until 27, never get slowed or the like I might go for it.