PDA

View Full Version : lock question for lvl 3 sorcerer......

rlarge
11-20-2014, 10:11 AM
in the sunken sewer I am faced with a locked door. I can't open it. there is no way to advance without opening it. I can only buy rogue hireling with shards apparently. are there any other options?

Krelar
11-20-2014, 10:17 AM
You are missing a path somewhere you do not have to go through the locked door to complete the quest.

Are you right at the beginning or are you near the room with the big pool?

Hint: Try swimming underwater a bit.

Also a map. (http://ddowiki.com/page/The_Sunken_Sewer)

cru121
11-20-2014, 10:18 AM
Yes, go the other way. Start by going a bit north, then east, careful through the poison traps, in the water room pull 4 levers to lower bridge. Upon exiting the water room, (optionally use an invis scroll and then) run to end fight (east then south. dive into water, swim under the structure in the center of the pool, swim/climb up a vertical shaft).
http://ddowiki.com/images/M_sunken_sewer.png

ddorimble
in the sunken sewer I am faced with a locked door. I can't open it. there is no way to advance without opening it. I can only buy rogue hireling with shards apparently. are there any other options?

That quest offers two paths, one requiring Open Lock/Disable skills, and one for everyone else. If you don't have Open Lock/Disable, just go the other way.

madmaxhunter

There isn't a quest in DDO that requires a rogue to complete. There is a path to the left (through the waterfall) that will get you to the end.

Lonnbeimnech
11-20-2014, 10:32 AM
The only locked door that you have to pass through to progress, will either have a key somewhere in the dungeon, levers/valves or you have to kill a particular group of monsters. Rogue skills are only for optionals, and as a sorc you can pick up the knock spell (level 2 spell) at some point to open most of these doors.

rlarge
11-20-2014, 10:40 AM
ty totally missed other direction. was tired last night waiting for game to load. I will use that as excuse inst ead of stupidy. :)

madmaxhunter
11-21-2014, 06:00 PM
ty totally missed other direction. was tired last night waiting for game to load. I will use that as excuse inst ead of stupidy. :)

You live in Colorado, we all know why you missed it (P.S. Arvada here).

Toro12
11-22-2014, 11:37 AM
There isn't a quest in DDO that requires a rogue to complete. There is a path to the left (through the waterfall) that will get you to the end.

To be technical VoN 5 requires passing locked doors so a rogue or caster with knock is required. Or $$ bell of opening

yawumpus
11-24-2014, 09:21 AM
If you really want to open those doors, you can buy a stack of knock spells in the center of the marketplace (level 2 spells). I'm not sure the loot will cover the cost of the scrolls (especially if you have to use a few to open the door/chest). They are probably still worth it just for the xp, but new players shouldn't expect to keep trying to roll a 20 (each lock has a "difficulty" and lock scrolls are pretty bad at unlocking things. Look under the "combat" tag in the dialog section to see how well it works. If you see you rolled a "1", try again. If you rolled a "20"(+whatever), stop. You can't unlock it. If you rolled somewhere in between I'd stop unless you don't care about the cost of the scrolls.

Once you get to the point where you don't need 4 offensive level 2 spells you can swap one of your spells for it (sometime after level 10), but you still won't have a much better chance of opening locks (items of escape don't seem to stack with this spell). Ideally you should leave these for the rogue/artificer/wizard in the party.

mna
11-24-2014, 09:36 AM
each lock has a "difficulty" and lock scrolls are pretty bad at unlocking things. Look under the "combat" tag in the dialog section to see how well it works. If you see you rolled a "1", try again.

... then again some locks have a very low difficulty. And I mean, something like 2. (The number is usually called "DC", for "difficulty class", and is a fairly general mechanism in D&D.)

1 is often automatic failure in whatever you're rolling for, in games like this.

However, I seem to remember having succeeded in unlocking something on an unmodified roll of 1 with a rogue (that did have plenty of + modifiers to go with it, though - the dice-roll thing does report those too) ... but I have no idea if that part works the same with spells/scrolls.

I'm told some of the harder epic elite level locks have 90+ DCs?

TEcarson
11-24-2014, 09:54 AM
You live in Colorado, we all know why you missed it (P.S. Arvada here).

+1. hehehe (Firestone here)

Neomarica
11-25-2014, 04:03 AM
... then again some locks have a very low difficulty. And I mean, something like 2. (The number is usually called "DC", for "difficulty class", and is a fairly general mechanism in D&D.)

1 is often automatic failure in whatever you're rolling for, in games like this.

However, I seem to remember having succeeded in unlocking something on an unmodified roll of 1 with a rogue (that did have plenty of + modifiers to go with it, though - the dice-roll thing does report those too) ... but I have no idea if that part works the same with spells/scrolls.

I'm told some of the harder epic elite level locks have 90+ DCs?

Nat 1 is only an automatic failure with attack rolls and saves. Skills succeed/fail solely based on the target number.

mna
11-25-2014, 07:13 AM
Nat 1 is only an automatic failure with attack rolls and saves. Skills succeed/fail solely based on the target number.

Yeah, but which way does it work with spells here? As Knock isn't a skill roll.

(It's a general mechanism anyway, not limited to D&D. I'm quite sure in that that other non-D&D paper RPG I used to play back when, skills auto-failed on 1 too.)