PDA

View Full Version : looking for way to get into portable hole (I t hink that is the name) to buy spells..

rlarge
11-16-2014, 05:37 PM
can anyone tell me how I might do this? I read somewhere t hat you should go and get all the lvl 1/2 spells that you could afford but I can't find it again nor do I remember if they said how. help if you can and choose to.

Seikojin
11-16-2014, 05:39 PM
Only way there is a teleport spell. Or have someone bracelet of friends you there.

rlarge
11-16-2014, 05:44 PM
so can I buy teleport spell or have to find it somewhere? I thought there was a quest or something that took you there. sigh too much info in my brain t hat is only half there

someone wrote to just keep asking in game for someone to get invite you to party to go in but I don't think spamming that is good or so I have heard

Archangel666
11-16-2014, 05:48 PM
so can I buy teleport spell or have to find it somewhere? I thought there was a quest or something that took you there. sigh too much info in my brain t hat is only half there

If you're in a guild, you can buy Teleport Scrolls from the Guild Vendors in House K.

If not, you'll probably have to check the AH, or more likely, someone here with a character on your server can send you one. (They don't cost very much at all).

Failing that, try asking in general chat. Someone with the spell or scroll of Greater Teleport can take you there.

rlarge
11-16-2014, 05:51 PM
ok. I have plats so will look for teleport spell in ah. thx

Archangel666
11-16-2014, 05:53 PM
ok. I have plats so will look for teleport spell in ah. thx

You're on Cannith aren't you?

rlarge
11-16-2014, 05:56 PM
yes cannith. just found one in ah but need to be level 7. sigh. guess only option is to see if someone will teleport me in. what is g the place called exactly??v

Archangel666
11-16-2014, 06:03 PM
yes cannith. just found one in ah but need to be level 7. sigh. guess only option is to see if someone will teleport me in. what is g the place called exactly??v

The place is literally called "The Portable Hole".

It's basically like a big tavern with some caster Trainers and some Vendors for scrolls. That's about it. Handy place though.

Just try asking in general chat somewhere like the Harbour or the Marketplace. Try "Could someone GT me to the Portable Hole please?"

GT = Greater Teleport by the way.

Greater Teleport must be cast in a quest or slayer area, but there's plenty to choose from. :)

phillymiket
11-16-2014, 06:07 PM
if you are less than level 7 you should be able to get all the spells available from other means than the portable hole.

There are the scroll venders in the Marketplace (lv 1, 2 spells), house J, and house P. (house P and J cover diff level scrolls but between the three, lv 1-6 spells should be covered)

They also sell comps, wands, spell enhancement potions and other stuff.

Keep in mind not all spells can be purchased via venders.
Some must be selected by a trainer or looted from chests (or AH).

rlarge
11-16-2014, 06:21 PM
ok thx for help. I will try all above till I get in or finf it for sale

Impaqt
11-16-2014, 06:31 PM
Teleport Scrolls are in House J. and yes, you need to be Level 7 to use them.

Every Level 1-4 scroll that is sold in the portable hole is also sold in Eberron. there is no reason to go to the Portable hole until you are level 7+

JOTMON
11-16-2014, 07:03 PM
Greater teleport works too, ask a high level caster if they can Greater teleport you there from inside any quest/explorer zone.
Most casters will teleport you there if you ask nicely..
Once there bind your soulstone .. its one of the best places to be bound as a levelling caster.

Dmister
11-16-2014, 07:21 PM
If you're on Ghallanda I would be more than willing to teleport you to the portable hole (my wizards name is falsedoc)

rlarge
11-16-2014, 07:43 PM
sigh. I am on cannith. I got in but did not read last post in time so did not bind myself there. took forever so probably won't tgry again soon. I don't like spamming the request much. took a long time this time to get in.

Tscheuss
11-16-2014, 11:05 PM
Note that you can inscribe scrolls that are beyond your level, but you cannot see them in your spellbook until you reach that level. The idea is to inscribe all buyable spells before you level up to them so that the rare spells are offered to you when you do level. :)

Pank
11-17-2014, 03:18 AM
One thing that works (at least on Thelanis) is to stand near the entrance of Searing Heights in the marketplace and put up an LFM asking for a teleport to Portable Hole fro Searing Heights. I have always found someone to do it in less than 5 min, even being at a very low level (thus the wilderness chosen). People are more willing to help than we might think, which is an asset to this gaming community.

unbongwah
11-17-2014, 10:07 AM
You can also create a human alt with the Passage DM; take the Gtr Passage (Teleport) enhancement, send them to the P.Hole (...that sounds wrong), buy what you need, then either mail the scrolls or pass them thru your shared bank. The main downside is you need at least 12 APs to take the enh, which means you need an almost-lvl-4 alt to do it. Easy enough once you have Veteran Status I unlocked, not so easy if you're new.

However, you can buy nearly all of the low-lvl arcane spells from regular vendors; then use your level-up choices to pick up any missing spells. It's not until you hit lvl 4 spells (wiz lvl 7) that rare scrolls start becoming an issue.

http://ddowiki.com/page/Scrolls

Livmo
11-17-2014, 10:59 AM
Although you can get from teh DDO Store, you can also trade someone for the anniversary cards to make them for free. Combine cards 3 and 4 to make 2 Rods of Teleport, which is 100 ports at no min.level and no UMD needed.

Here is the link to the card table:
http://ddowiki.com/page/Anniversary_Card_Collection

Here is the link to the the DDO Wiki page for Rod of Teleport:
http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Rod_of_Teleport

dunklezhan
11-17-2014, 11:01 AM
http://ddowiki.com/page/Royal_Guard_Mask

which can drop from here:

http://ddowiki.com/page/Bring_Me_the_Head_of_Ghola-Fan!

which is a paid pack with L10-on-normal quests with a heroic raid no-one runs and a sometimes frustrating explorer area. I however like to run the explorer and both quests every time I go past those levels. I have yet to get one of those masks however, so expect to have to work for it - this is old-old-old 'end game'

Impaqt
11-17-2014, 12:57 PM
really folks?

there is NO reason to go to the portable hole if you are under level 7.

If you are levels 1-4, Go to the marketplace. There are Level 1 and Level 2 scroll vendors right there. Theres even a reagent vendor right next to em for the Inscription materials

If you are level 5-6, head over to House P. Go to the Object Desire. Buy all the level 3 scrolls you can. Stop by Erstwhile Emporium to get your Level 3 Inscription materials.

If you are level 7, go to House J, Walk into the House of Wizardry, Buy Level 7 Scrolls, including a bunch of Teleport Scrolls.

Not sure why people want to make this so complicated. there is NEVER a need to spam general chat ti get to the Portable hole.

dunklezhan
11-17-2014, 01:08 PM
really folks?

If you are levels 1-4, Go to the marketplace. There are Level 1 and Level 2 scroll vendors right there. Theres even a reagent vendor right next to em for the Inscription materials

If you are level 5-6, head over to House P. Go to the Object Desire. Buy all the level 3 scrolls you can. Stop by Erstwhile Emporium to get your Level 3 Inscription materials.

If you are level 7, go to House J, Walk into the House of Wizardry, Buy Level 7 Scrolls, including a bunch of Teleport Scrolls.

Not sure why people want to make this so complicated. there is NEVER a need to spam general chat ti get to the Portable hole.

Well...

In my case I'm providing an answer for self-sufficient types who don't have UMD and don't want to drop TP in the store on items (though they'll still likely be dropping TP in the store for a pack most agree isn't worth it these days - I disagree, but I'm odd).

The "spam" you speak of could be viewed another way - which is encouraging players to interact with each other in however small a way. By such means are guildies found*.

*very, very occasionally.

Impaqt
11-17-2014, 01:28 PM
Well...

In my case I'm providing an answer for self-sufficient types who don't have UMD and don't want to drop TP in the store on items (though they'll still likely be dropping TP in the store for a pack most agree isn't worth it these days - I disagree, but I'm odd).

The "spam" you speak of could be viewed another way - which is encouraging players to interact with each other in however small a way. By such means are guildies found*.

*very, very occasionally.

o.O

You told someone looking for Level 1-2 scrolls to buy a L10+ adventure pack and farm for a rare drop ML 11 Item.

dunklezhan
11-17-2014, 01:31 PM
o.O

You told someone looking for Level 1-2 scrolls to buy a L10+ adventure pack and farm for a rare drop ML 11 Item.

Well actually I told someone how to get access to teleport to get to the Portable Hole.

However, you have very successfully made the rather good point that remembering what the OP was actually asking rather than following where the thread discussion leads in conjunction with only the thread title is not really terribly helpful for solving the actual problem, and that I should be much more careful in future...

So... what Impaqt said, and sorry OP. You do not need to get to the PH at this point, if ever.

EDIT: OP, the reason you are advised to buy a copy of every spell you can find is so that at level up all you are left with are choosing the spells on these lists from your level up options: http://ddowiki.com/page/The_Rare_Arcane_Scroll_List. But I don't know that I'd call that essential. It does saves you trying to find copies of the rare scrolls on the AH from drops (they're rare, so often not available. Not usually that expensive when they are available though), and it means you have a full or almost full complement of spells available as soon as you are a high enough level to cast them. Neither of those things are insurmountable and other than firewall and some of the negative energy ones for Pale Master self healing, I don't think there's a single 'essential' spell on the rare list except for the L8s and 9s, which are only available as drops or at level up so aren't really part of the discussion anyway.

unbongwah
11-17-2014, 02:41 PM
Master's Touch scrolls are only available for sale in the Hole. Why would OP want them? Beats me! But it is a reason to go before lvl 7. ;)

JOTMON
11-17-2014, 03:29 PM
really folks?

Portable hole is the one-stop shop and has all the scroll vendors nicely distributed by level.
Portable hole has the mailbox, potion/scroll vendors, bartender so it is a great place to be bound (pre-guildship)

I always go to the portable hole and inscribe all the spells I think will be of use, stock up scrolls and inscription materials, bind.
Then when I level I am left with spells I don't care about and ones that I couldn't inscribe from the vendors without having to memorize or lookup non-vendor available scrolls.

Generally don't need to "spam" tells in any chats.. just send a friendly tell to a high level caster that is in the marketplace. I have never had a player not be willing to port me.
I have even given extra scrolls/extra's when on my caster to lowbies asking for a port to the portable hole and answered other questions to get them on a good start path.

moomooprincess
11-17-2014, 09:49 PM
really folks?

I almost gave up hope that no one wrote this. I clicked to reply after reading the first page of replies but saw this, right at the end, because this is what I was going to write.

If you are on Cannith I will personally BUY you any spell you need. I think I even have a stash of scrolls of the spells NOT for sale at vendor/brokers. (dimension door, firewall, etc)

Scrolls you can buy, what level spell it is (this list is what I wrote down years ago, some things might have changed since then)

Acid Blast 3rd
Chain Missile 3rd
Deep Slumber 3rd
Dispel Magic 3rd
Displacement 3rd
Fireball 3rd
Flame Arrow 3rd
Frost Lance 3rd
Halt Undead 3rd
Haste 3rd
Heroism 3rd
Hold Person 3rd
Lightning Bolt 3rd
Magic Circle Against Evil 3rd
Protection from Energy 3rd
Rage 3rd
Ray Exhaustion 3rd
Repair Serious Damage 3rd
Sleet Storm 3rd
Slow 3rd
Stink Cloud 3rd
Suggestion 3rd
Summon Monster III 3rd
Water Breathing 3rd

Acid Rain 4th
Bestow Curse 4th
Burning Blood 4th
Charm Monster 4th
Contagion 4th
Crushing Despair 4th
Enervation 4th
Fear 4th
Fire Shield 4th
Fire Trap 4th
Force Missiles 4th
Ice Storm 4th
Lesser Globe of Invulnerability 4th
Phantasmal Killer 4th
Remove Curse 4th
Repair Critical Damage 4th
Shout 4th
Stoneskin 4th
Summon Monster IV 4th

Ball Lightning 5th
Break Enchantment 5th
Cone of Cold 5th
Cyclonic Blast 5th
Dismissal 5th
Dominate Person 5th
Feeblemind 5th
Hold Monster 5th
Mind Fog 5th
Prismatic Ray 5th
Protection from Elements 5th
Repair Light Damage, Mass 5th
Summon Monster V 5th
Teleport 5th
Waves of fatigue 5th

Banishment 6th
Chain Lightning 6th
Circle of Death 6th
Disintegrate 6th
Flesh to Stone 6th
Globe of Invulnerability 6th
Greater Dispel Magic 6th
Greater Heroism 6th
Mass Bear's Endurance 6th
Mass Bulls Strength 6th
Mass Cats Grace 6th
Mass Owls Wisdom 6th
Mass Foxs Cunning 6th
Mass Eagles Splendor 6th
Mass Suggestion 6th
Otiluke's Freezing Sphere 6th
Reconstruct 6th
Repair Moderate Damage, Mass 6th
Shadow Walk 6th
Stone to Flesh 6th
Summon Monster VI 6th
Tenser's Transformation 6th
True Seeing 6th
Undeath to Death 6th

Control Undead 7th
Finger of Death 7th
Greater teleport 7th
Mass Hold Person 7th
Mass Invisibility 7th
Prot from Elements, Mass 7th
Power Word Blind 7th
Prismatic Spray 7th
Summon Monster VII 7th
Symbol of Stunning 7th
Waves of Exhaustion 7th

rlarge
11-18-2014, 04:49 PM
well that is a great offer. I think the only reason I was doing this, t rying to do it, was t o get the rares for level up choices. atm I only really use fire and the one that lets me use non proficient weapons t ill I get higher for spells. oh and the repair/heal ones. I bought a teleport one in AH but of course can't use it yet. I like the idea of binding in PH where all things caster needs are in one place. I am somewhat, um mostly, navigationly challenged. lol I get lost easily so.... anyway I have been gtrying to get someone to GT me but only got one player the other day to do it then I left after buying scrolls without binding since I had not read t he latest post above about it. sigh. no luck since but will keep trying. I get it that I do not need it. shrug. sometimes I get stuborn about something and keep at it beyond need. happens at 72. 0^O

Impaqt
11-18-2014, 05:02 PM
well that is a great offer. I think the only reason I was doing this, t rying to do it, was t o get the rares for level up choices. atm I only really use fire and the one that lets me use non proficient weapons t ill I get higher for spells. oh and the repair/heal ones. I bought a teleport one in AH but of course can't use it yet. I like the idea of binding in PH where all things caster needs are in one place. I am somewhat, um mostly, navigationly challenged. lol I get lost easily so.... anyway I have been gtrying to get someone to GT me but only got one player the other day to do it then I left after buying scrolls without binding since I had not read t he latest post above about it. sigh. no luck since but will keep trying. I get it that I do not need it. shrug. sometimes I get stuborn about something and keep at it beyond need. happens at 72. 0^O

Heres a list of the rare scrolls....
http://ddowiki.com/page/The_Rare_Arcane_Scroll_List

rlarge
11-18-2014, 07:55 PM
ok thanks for all the help. I finally got into the PH and have all the level 1-3 scrolls. bound there so can get the rest as I go alone. appreciate all the comments and help offered here. hopefully I can stop posting help requests for a bit. :)

JOTMON
11-18-2014, 08:45 PM
ok thanks for all the help. I finally got into the PH and have all the level 1-3 scrolls. bound there so can get the rest as I go alone. appreciate all the comments and help offered here. hopefully I can stop posting help requests for a bit. :)

its all good.
everyone was where you were at one point in time. some have just been around for so long they have forgotten the starting from scratch newbie difficulties and take a lot of stuff for granted.
It does get easier.

Archangel666
11-18-2014, 11:37 PM

This is possibly a redundant comment, but it doesn't hurt to make sure you know.

When in game, you can type /death and it will kill your character and return you to your bind point. (Hence the suggestions to bind there).

ReaperAlexEU
11-19-2014, 07:46 AM
This is possibly a redundant comment, but it doesn't hurt to make sure you know.

When in game, you can type /death and it will kill your character and return you to your bind point. (Hence the suggestions to bind there).

/death will do damage to your items unless you use it from inside a tavern.

used the death express a lot when the vale was end game :)

rlarge
11-19-2014, 10:02 AM
ok thx. did not know about the death thing doing damage unless in tavern. thx I don't need more damage. get enough on my own. :)