PDA

View Full Version : Voice chat

SirValentine
11-12-2014, 03:08 PM
It's perfectly fine if you don't have voice chat. There's a setting for that.

It's a check box, Main Menu -> Audio -> Enable Voice Chat. If it's checked, there's a green sound-wave-looking icon appears beside your name, so everyone else knows you have voice chat turned on. If it's unchecked, there is no such icon, so anyone who looks can tell that you don't have voice chat.

You have no cause to be upset if you've deceived other players into thinking you have voice chat when actually you don't, when they've gone out of their way to try to be helpful, but you didn't know it because you don't have voice chat and they thought you did.

FranOhmsford
11-12-2014, 04:02 PM
Uh - You do realise that having Voice Chat so as to be able to hear what other people are saying and actually being able to speak are two different things right?

There's plenty of times when I'm unable to talk but because I use a Headset I can always hear you {Understanding is a different subject even when the person on the other end speaks perfect English!}.

Voice Chat is NOT a requirement in DDO!
Voice Chat is also NOT a substitute for Typing/Reading!

Voice Chat is an EXTRA a BONUS!

Just because you have Voice Chat and the other person has Voice Chat doesn't mean you shouldn't check the Chat Box too!
As that other person may not be able to talk loudly enough at that time and though he/she can hear you fine MAY need to rely on typing themselves!

Powskier
11-12-2014, 04:47 PM
I'd like quiet talkers to type,or speak up:) have fun out there!

dunklezhan
11-12-2014, 04:51 PM
Uh - You do realise that having Voice Chat so as to be able to hear what other people are saying and actually being able to speak are two different things right?

There's plenty of times when I'm unable to talk but because I use a Headset I can always hear you {Understanding is a different subject even when the person on the other end speaks perfect English!}.

Voice Chat is NOT a requirement in DDO!
Voice Chat is also NOT a substitute for Typing/Reading!

Voice Chat is an EXTRA a BONUS!

Just because you have Voice Chat and the other person has Voice Chat doesn't mean you shouldn't check the Chat Box too!
As that other person may not be able to talk loudly enough at that time and though he/she can hear you fine MAY need to rely on typing themselves!

Nothing in the OP disagrees with what you've said here. Because this:

I'd like quiet talkers to type,or speak up:) have fun out there!

If you don't intend to listen to voice chat, do not tick the box. That's a completely reasonable idea. As is: if you can hear voice chat but have no mic you need to respond in party chat if someone addresses you or asks the group a question.

Uska
11-12-2014, 05:14 PM
Nothing in the OP disagrees with what you've said here. Because this:

If you don't intend to listen to voice chat, do not tick the box. That's a completely reasonable idea. As is: if you can hear voice chat but have no mic you need to respond in party chat if someone addresses you or asks the group a question.

I don't mind hearing some people but some speak so poorly or are so inaudible they shouldn't be allowed to use speech in public much less in voice chat.

dunklezhan
11-12-2014, 05:26 PM
I don't mind hearing some people but some speak so poorly or are so inaudible they shouldn't be allowed to use speech in public much less in voice chat.

Possibly... but that's a whole other topic which would lead to places likely to get us banned from the forums :)

mna
11-13-2014, 07:23 AM

Oh yes, it is actually quite common to not have a working microphone. The other day, of a full party (6 players) I was in, 3 were unable to transmit for various reasons but all were able to receive voice... though there were a few clarifications asked in text chat.

Indeed.

And then there are the players who don't actually speak English much at all... many of us foreigners actually read and write better than speak.

Uska
11-13-2014, 08:56 AM
Oh yes, it is actually quite common to not have a working microphone. The other day, of a full party (6 players) I was in, 3 were unable to transmit for various reasons but all were able to receive voice... though there were a few clarifications asked in text chat.

Indeed.

And then there are the players who don't actually speak English much at all... many of us foreigners actually read and write better than speak.

Yah I use to play with some people from Korea like that spoke pretty poorly but typed rather well which is the opposite of me I can speak a bit of a couple of languages but cant read or write them to save my life.

Eth
11-13-2014, 10:11 AM
Since this is new player advice you might want to add that if you intend to use voice chat, first off you have to set all other sound sources to 0.01 and voice chat to absolute max and then set your speaker volume high enough so you can hear ingame sound and other people.

Or the easier way. Don't bother with ingame voicechat, the quality is so poor, there's no reason to use it in the first place.

Kawai
11-13-2014, 11:33 AM
Since this is new player advice you might want to add that if you intend to use voice chat, first off you have to set all other sound sources to 0.01 and voice chat to absolute max and then set your speaker volume high enough so you can hear ingame sound and other people.

Or the easier way. Don't bother with ingame voicechat, the quality is so poor, there's no reason to use it in the first place.

+1 for part 1. (Yayyyyyyy Eth! Finally)

ooooops....

darn.

-1 for part 2. :(

so, u still stand at opinion count: 0.
...had high hopes 4u.

in-game chat is just fine.

*laughs @3rd party lemming-ware.

Kawai
11-13-2014, 11:37 AM
Yah I use to play with some people from Korea like that spoke pretty poorly but typed rather well which is the opposite of me I can speak a bit of a couple of languages but cant read or write them to save my life.

but the fact that u try is awesome.

we have internationals in Guild & Channels.
its fun 2 learn & communicate with all.

-Good Peeps everywhere :)

phillymiket
11-13-2014, 11:42 AM
It's perfectly fine if you don't have voice chat. There's a setting for that.

It's a check box, Main Menu -> Audio -> Enable Voice Chat. If it's checked, there's a green sound-wave-looking icon appears beside your name, so everyone else knows you have voice chat turned on. If it's unchecked, there is no such icon, so anyone who looks can tell that you don't have voice chat.

You have no cause to be upset if you've deceived other players into thinking you have voice chat when actually you don't, when they've gone out of their way to try to be helpful, but you didn't know it because you don't have voice chat and they thought you did.

But, But...

If we're in Shroud and you say "Dude, you're on crystal", I can't tell if its you in VC talking about the game - or my GF on Skype talking about setting the dinner table - or my buddy on Steam talking about the dancer at the club last night - or my buddy on Teamspeak (let's just call him "W.W.") complaining because I'm using all the "product" again.

It's so confusing anymore.

Alternative
11-13-2014, 11:51 AM
Voice chat in this game nees to be adjustable per player, some are so obnoxiously load or have terrible static that the only way to save your ear drums is to squelch them.

But then you get people who are like "everything's fiiiine" so there's that.